Driving Boston to Nashville

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MKE262

Driving Boston to Nashville

Post by MKE262 »

I think my fellow Bogleheads can give me a smarter answer than Google Maps.

Tomorrow I am driving my youngest daughter to Nashville (dropping her off to start a PhD at Vanderbilt!). We will be driving a 16-foot truck rental and Google Maps suggests two routes:

1) The faster route takes me from Boston to NYC and from there into NJ, PA, W.VA, VA, and into Tennessee.

2) The second option is about 40 miles longer but avoids NYC and routes through Upstate NY, PA, OH and KY.

Is there a "quality of life" difference between the two routes? Keep in mind I don't usually drive a moving truck, although I have done it before. The first route seems more mountainous, but I could be wrong.

Suggestions welcome!
barnaclebob

Re: Driving Boston to Nashville

Post by barnaclebob »

I'll just say it doesnt take very much traffic to cancel out 40 miles of extra distance.

Have you used the feature on google maps where you can define a start time or desired arrival time and it will adjust your route based on that? Not sure if its still as accurate due to the pandemic.
hyperon

Post by hyperon »

Depending on the exact route Google Maps takes you near NYC (probably across the GW Bridge), you could run into some rough highways with small lanes and many opportunities to miss a turn or exit. Personally I've done quite a bit of driving in the east and I think the NY-PA-OH-KY route is worth an extra 40 miles. There will probably in general be less traffic along that route as well, though neither should be terrible on a Saturday.

If you do go the NYC route, I might advise taking the 287 West to the Tappan Zee Gov. Mario Cuomo bridge (thanks fedpharmer) and then jumping on the Garden State Pkwy south rather than go through NYC. It'll be more mileage but a more pleasant drive overall in my opinion.

Best of luck and be safe!
Last edited by hyperon on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Option 2 - no contest.
fedpharmer

Post by fedpharmer »

hyperon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 pm Depending on the exact route Google Maps takes you near NYC (probably across the GW Bridge), you could run into some rough highways with small lanes and many opportunities to miss a turn or exit. Personally I've done quite a bit of driving in the east and I think the NY-PA-OH-KY route is worth an extra 40 miles. There will probably in general be less traffic along that route as well, though neither should be terrible on a Saturday.

If you do go the NYC route, I might advise taking the 287 West to the Tappan Zee bridge and then jumping on the Garden State Pkwy south rather than go through NYC. It'll be more mileage but a more pleasant drive overall in my opinion.

Agreed. Definitely avoid going through NYC over the GWB. Note that the "Tappan Zee Bridge" is now the Mario Cuomo Bridge.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

hyperon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 pm
If you do go the NYC route, I might advise taking the 287 West to the Tappan Zee bridge and then jumping on the Garden State Pkwy south rather than go through NYC. It'll be more mileage but a more pleasant drive overall in my opinion.

Yup, NY through Tappan Zee is the way to go. Set a way point in Google at Tappan Zee and I bet the difference in mileage will be less than 10. I don't know why every GPS routes through George Washington. It's just a terrible idea.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

MKE262 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm I think my fellow Bogleheads can give me a smarter answer than Google Maps.

Tomorrow I am driving my youngest daughter to Nashville (dropping her off to start a PhD at Vanderbilt!). We will be driving a 16-foot truck rental and Google Maps suggests two routes:

1) The faster route takes me from Boston to NYC and from there into NJ, PA, W.VA, VA, and into Tennessee.

2) The second option is about 40 miles longer but avoids NYC and routes through Upstate NY, PA, OH and KY.

Is there a "quality of life" difference between the two routes? Keep in mind I don't usually drive a moving truck, although I have done it before. The first route seems more mountainous, but I could be wrong.

Suggestions welcome!
Op

Having driven US Highway 80 from NYC to Reno Nevada 8 times, I can say if you take US Highway 90 across to Ohio via Albany and Western NY you are better off.

I have driven from NYC to Cape Cod it is a killer, while it is not a direct route to Boston. There will be bumper to bumper traffic in TriState area in NYC.

Make sure your moving truck will have the better gears to go the higher speeds before you take off on the highway, I knew someone who rented a truck and was not able to go faster than 55 MPH. Ask them before you pick up the truck and take it out. I know if sounds overly cautious, once loaded up and on highway you are stuck.

good luck
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:40 pm Option 2 - no contest.
+1 having driven may times between DC and New England I'll go out of my way to avoid NYC traffic unless headed there specifically.
#Cruncher

Post by #Cruncher »

Consider taking I-84 to Scranton PA and then I-81 until it merges with I-40 outside of Knoxville TN. You avoid the NYC area and I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley is a lovely drive.

Google Maps Boston to Nashville via I-81
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

What's wrong with this route:
I-90 to I-88
I-88 to I-81
I-81 (later I-81/I-64) to I-40
I-40 into Nashville

keeps you on interstates (without too many major cities), and allows easy access to gas, food stops, etc (many of which will be open (almost) 24 hours)
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
RickyAZ

Post by RickyAZ »

Avoid the GWB. I84 is your friend here.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

Get to Hartford.

Continue west on 84 until you get to sawmill parkway or 9a south in western CT. These are two separate south routes that are 6 of one and half a dozen of other.

South on SPW to 287, go west crossing the Cuomo Bridge.

Take 287 all the way until 78 west and go into Pa.

78 west to 81 south and you’ll Google Map around Harrisburg.

From there just take G Map. You’re past traffic.

Source: truck driver whose done that trip a lot (or out of Boston to points south a lot).
sls239

Post by sls239 »

With a 16ft truck, I’d take OH over WV.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I just drove from Baltimore to Boston and back, and gladly added miles to avoid the NY City metro area.
I90 to I84 into PA.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've driven from outside Boston to Virginia Tech (off 81 in VA) dozens of times.

#1: Avoid NYC at all costs. I have had 4 hour delays on the Tappan Zee (Cuomo) bridge. There is always traffic.

Your route is turnpike to 84 all the way to the end in Scranton, PA. 81 south through western Virginia to its end which turns into 40W and goes right into Nashville.

Use Google maps to see possible traffic issues. 81 will have road workers as the Pennsylvania State Flower has to be displayed by law. (the PA state flower is the orange cone). Be careful on 84 right at the CT/NY border. NY troopers party right there and are happy to bring out of staters in for the festivities. Also most of PA and Maryland. The rest of the states are more chill.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Plumber5056

Post by Plumber5056 »

hyperon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 pm Depending on the exact route Google Maps takes you near NYC (probably across the GW Bridge), you could run into some rough highways with small lanes and many opportunities to miss a turn or exit. Personally I've done quite a bit of driving in the east and I think the NY-PA-OH-KY route is worth an extra 40 miles. There will probably in general be less traffic along that route as well, though neither should be terrible on a Saturday.

If you do go the NYC route, I might advise taking the 287 West to the Tappan Zee Gov. Mario Cuomo bridge (thanks fedpharmer) and then jumping on the Garden State Pkwy south rather than go through NYC. It'll be more mileage but a more pleasant drive overall in my opinion.

Be aware of commercial vehicle restrictions on that part of GSP.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

Chuck107 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:53 pm So the Tappan Zee is now the Cuomo bridge? Oy
Built a brand new one and it’s pretty. Right beside the old one.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

madpunster

Post by madpunster »

If you take the 84 to 81 route, there's a Lindt Factory Outlet in Carlisle, PA just past Harrisburg.
It's not a scratch and dent, expired gift boxes kinda place and there isn't a factory there.
What they do have is flavors on top of flavors which you can choose from and pay by the pound.
Freezing air conditioning, clean bathrooms, large parking lot, minimal people.
Handy place for a break from the road and acute chocolate deficiency treatment.
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:40 pm Option 2 - no contest.
^This
Watty

Post by Watty »

I am not familiar with that rout or area but I once had a GPS take me across the GW bridge, I can't remember what it was but the toll was very high and though that I had likely been overcharged. I looked it up later on and what I was charged was correct.

I would think that in a truck the toll would be a bit painful so if you decide to go that way you should look up what the toll will be and take that into account.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

MKE262 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm I think my fellow Bogleheads can give me a smarter answer than Google Maps.

Suggestions welcome!
How is it that you need a 16ft truck for one student, PhD or otherwise? A 10ft truck is a completely different animal due to single rear wheels. What are you carrying?
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

No clue, I am in Texas, but congrats to your daughter! A good friend's daughter is also there!
mkc

Post by mkc »

To OP - since you are driving a truck, do NOT get on anything labeled "parkway" in NY. You are not allowed and you will not fit under the low clearance overpasses.

I90 (Masspike) to I84. For us as RVers driving a larger vehicle, we then go to I81 in PA. I81 south to I40 (I640 around Knoxville if you hit it at rush hour).

We live in TN. The above is the route we take to the northeast in our RV. Other routes are OK for passenger cars/trucks, but not for a large rental truck.
mkc

Post by mkc »

donaldfair71 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:35 pm
Continue west on 84 until you get to sawmill parkway
No parkways permitted in NY for trucks...
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

mkc wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm
donaldfair71 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:35 pm
Continue west on 84 until you get to sawmill parkway
No parkways permitted in NY for trucks...
Thanks, missed the 16 foot truck in the op. Appreciate that.

In that case, take the 84 west to Scranton suggestions for sure.
hyperon

Post by hyperon »

Plumber5056 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Be aware of commercial vehicle restrictions on that part of GSP.
+1 Good catch; didn't even occur to me. Though it is likely the OP won't take the GSP route, a quick google search suggests a 16' moving truck is not allowed on the GSP north of exit 105, which is where the OP would be driving. Avoid the GSP.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

I did this drive four times, round trip, in college. I much prefer the PA>OH route.
Topic Author
MKE262

Post by MKE262 »

OP here.

Thank you all for the very helpful information. When we moved to Boston, we drove via NYC and it was a pain (traffic, expensive tolls and the GPS insisting I should switch to Hutchison or Merritt Parkways ... a big no, no as has been highlighted here). Option 2 it will be!

We originally planned to move in a 9 foot van, but all of them required a round trip drive and had mileage charges. So we opted for a truck from Budget, with a very aggressive AARP discount and a $49 flight back on Southwest. My last couple of moves were in a 26 foot truck with a 13' clearance, so the 16 foot truck with 11' clearance feels reasonable and peppy in comparison. A 10 foot truck would have been a better option, and as a single axle, under 14500 GWR, would have been covered by my car insurance.

We decided to give her more of our furniture instead. I remember being a law school student with milk crates and carpet samples for furniture and decor. She'll be there for 5-7 years, and I am glad if we can make sure she's comfortable.
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

I won’t comment as an expert on the NYC portion of your trip, but I highly recommend sticking to 81/40 PA-MD-WV-VA-TN rather than OH-KY-TN once past NY. I know it like the back of my hand. Shorter, cheaper, easier, prettier, everything.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

Having driven key sections of both, take I-90 to Cleveland, connect to 71 across Ohio to Kentucky. If possible use your EZ-Pass.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is to be avoided, especially in a moving truck. Significant chunks of it were designed in another age, before the value of acceleration/ deceleration strips was fully understood. If you’ve ever driven the Merritt Parkway, picture that, except not as well maintained, in mountainous terrain, and filled with semis. West Virginia is rather mountainous as well.

I just google mapped it and realized you wouldn’t be on the PA Turnpike. The southern option Is still more mountainous, though. I’m a huge fan of the Mass Pike west of Boston and the NYS Thruway. In a truck, driving in the mountains means driving at your rental vehicle’s performance limits and playing leapfrog with semis on long grades. I’d totally do the NY OH KY TN option.

The northern of the two routes is substantially less mountainous, generally following the course of the Erie Canal across NY State. Erie, PA is an excellent place to stop for the night, and cheaper fuel than NY or OH.
Last edited by motorcyclesarecool on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Gee, I remember when the original Tappan Zee Bridge opened in December 1955. I had just started college in September of 1955 and that was our crossing of the Hudson River on the New York State Thruway to head to northern New York 130 miles north of Syracuse. Hard to believe that was 65 years ago, but I still have my memory :wink:

And I have driven I-81 from its northern boundary at the Canadian border down to where it joins I-40 in Tennessee and on to Nashville where I live. Also used to live in the NYC area in the 40s and early 50s. Traffic across the GW Bridge was a breeze and only fifty-cents each way in the 40s.
Tom D.
hsmith

Post by hsmith »

MKE262 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm ... 2) The second option is about 40 miles longer but avoids NYC and routes through Upstate NY, PA, OH and KY.

Is there a "quality of life" difference between the two routes? Keep in mind I don't usually drive a moving truck, although I have done it before. The first route seems more mountainous, but I could be wrong. ...
If by “quality of life difference” you’re concerned about things like nicer service areas, cell phone coverage, confusing interchanges and smooth roads, I would agree that option 2 is much better than option 1. The service areas that I’ve seen along I-80 in PA leave a lot to be desired.

Also, the I-88 option isn’t ideal because of gaps in cell phone coverage. I’ve also read that I-88 between Albany and Binghamton has a lot of potholes. See https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 093595.php
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

donaldfair71 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:35 pm Get to Hartford.

Continue west on 84 until you get to sawmill parkway or 9a south in western CT. These are two separate south routes that are 6 of one and half a dozen of other.

Source: truck driver whose done that trip a lot (or out of Boston to points south a lot).
I am pretty sure you can't take a moving truck on saw mill pkwy....I wouldn't even if you could. It is to narrow and windy and people drive like maniacs on it and would try to run you off the road....

But this is the way I would go but take 684 to White Plains not saw mill.

Good luck
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

The app: "Waze" alters routes based upon real-time reports of traffic and road conditions.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Suggestions welcome!
I’ve done a portion #2 on a similar drive because I was driving a 26 foot uHaul. I recall the NY portion being very pretty. Since I’m not a professional truck driver, I was glad I skipped NYC.

As a Vandy alum tell your daughter congrats! I loved my time there.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

MKE262 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm 1) The faster route takes me from Boston to NYC and from there into NJ, PA, W.VA, VA, and into Tennessee.

Is there a "quality of life" difference between the two routes?
The rural route, hands down. It has not been mentioned, but the cost of tolls is substantial going through NJ and PA. It is also an unpleasant drive. Avoid.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

You will also find heavy traffic in Nashville. Consider avoiding getting off I40 too early. Though you would have to Goggle it based on your route into Nashville, consider coming on I40 to 440 on the West side and take exit 1A (West End). Take the ramp and turn left. You will be on West End and about a mile from Vanderbilt, though I don't know exactly where your ending destination is, of course. Nashville is a dynamic city, but it is experiencing a surge in Covid19 cases with minor improvements lately. I suspect your daughter will love Vanderbilt, and the area (We live in the immediate area).

Tim
feehater

Post by feehater »

Another vote for 81 south as opposed to going farther west and taking 77, 75, or 65.

Knoxville thru traffic used to be terrible seemingly all the time, but since about 10 years ago when they finally finished widening 40 to 4 lanes, it is not nearly as bad.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Nowizard wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 am You will also find heavy traffic in Nashville. Consider avoiding getting off I40 too early. Though you would have to Goggle it based on your route into Nashville, consider coming on I40 to 440 on the West side and take exit 1A (West End). Take the ramp and turn left. You will be on West End and about a mile from Vanderbilt, though I don't know exactly where your ending destination is, of course. Nashville is a dynamic city, but it is experiencing a surge in Covid19 cases with minor improvements lately. I suspect your daughter will love Vanderbilt, and the area (We live in the immediate area).

Tim
Since you will be flying back to Boston from BNA, will you be subject to quarantine? :confused
mkc

Post by mkc »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 pm I’m a huge fan of the Mass Pike west of Boston and the NYS Thruway. In a truck, driving in the mountains means driving at your rental vehicle’s performance limits and playing leapfrog with semis on long grades. I’d totally do the NY OH KY TN option.

Erie, PA is an excellent place to stop for the night, and cheaper fuel than NY or OH.
Just be aware, toll across the NYS Thruway, Masspike to PA border, is about $40 for a 2 axle, over 7'6" high vehicle.

I would definitely check fuel rates as well. The last few times we have rolled through, PA was significantly higher than NY and OH. Pilot/Flying J is currently showing PA 30-40 cents/gallon higher than NY and OH.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Chuck107 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:53 pm So the Tappan Zee is now the Cuomo bridge? Oy
It's actually a different new bridge, not just a renaming.

Anyway I'm from NY, used to drive to/from Boston often when one of my kids lived there for some years. I would say absolutely use the route which comes up as first alternative on Google Maps, I-84/I-80/I-71 etc, out to OH then down. The George Washington Bridge (not actually the bridge usually but the several miles on I-95S before it) is a nightmare a lot of the time. But I-95 in CT is often bad also, likewise Tappan Zee route. Just steer entirely clear of the NY area between Boston and Nashville, the extra 40 miles is far outweighed by the traffic.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We have an RV and have driven it all over North America. That section of I-95 through NYC is the roughest section of freeway I have ever seen. Anywhere. The traffic was the traffic, we didn’t find it any worse than a lot of other big cities. But my butt may never recover.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

I have driven both for multiple times. Do not take WV route. Hilly and winding route which will be a problem.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Watty wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:06 pm I am not familiar with that rout or area but I once had a GPS take me across the GW bridge, I can't remember what it was but the toll was very high and though that I had likely been overcharged. I looked it up later on and what I was charged was correct.

I would think that in a truck the toll would be a bit painful so if you decide to go that way you should look up what the toll will be and take that into account.
Part of this issue is one-way tolling. You never pay a toll to enter New Jersey, but you pay double tolls when you leave; this reduces the work for toll collection while still collecting the same amount from commuters.

Toll or no toll, it's still worth avoiding the George Washington Bridge because of frequent jams getting into and out of New York City. When I lived in NJ and sometimes drove to Westchester, I always ignored the advice on my GPS to use the George Washington Bridge; going around on I-287 took fifteen minutes longer with no traffic but was a much more pleasant trip, and often faster.
Wiki David Grabiner
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

wallygator wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:28 am
donaldfair71 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:35 pm Get to Hartford.

I am pretty sure you can't take a moving truck on saw mill pkwy....I wouldn't even if you could. It is to narrow and windy and people drive like maniacs on it and would try to run you off the road....

But this is the way I would go but take 684 to White Plains not saw mill.

Good luck
Yah might be getting my routes mixed up, doesn’t help that I’ve made it a few times in a car just traveling. I’ve done the 684.

I even like route 15 down CT thru to NY in a car. But only at like 10pm or later.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Folks - The OP left this morning (Saturday) so I doubt comments posted today will help much.
Tom D.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I would either take the MA pike/Rte. 90 west to the Taconic Pkwy. South, come down the Taconic to I-84, take 84 to 81 near Scranton/Wilkes Barre and head south on 81. Or less mileage but potentially more traffic...take MA Pike to Sturbridge (exit 9), then get on 84 and take that to 81 South. The second route is about 1/2 hour quicker without traffic, but there is often slow traffic on 84 through CT (esp. during rush hours). The first route is about 30 mi. longer but much more scenic and there is little traffic when you get out of the Boston metro area.

Much prettier than going around NYC/NJ and, though a little longer, there is a very good chance that the lack of traffic will make up for the difference. You will also save on tolls.

If you don't care about time and enjoy beautiful country driving, consider spending part of the drive on Skyline Drive and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway. They are well worth it but very slow.

If you like Asian food there is a good noodle shop in downtown Carlisle, PA (about 20 mi S of Harrisburg on 81) called Issei Noodle....good lunch stop and Carlisle is a pleasant college town to walk around and stretch your legs.