Chess.com, FICS or something else?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Chess.com, FICS or something else?

Post by Small Law Survivor »

I'd like to take up chess again, after a many-decade pause. I see that online chess has been discussed here. In the link below BHs debate the merits of chess.com and the Free Internet Chess Server in 2014. Although not mentioned in that thread, I see some discussion of lichess.com online. What other options are there?

Would appreciate any observations BHs would like to share!

viewtopic.php?t=137287
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names
scout1

Re: Chess.com, FICS or something else?

Post by scout1 »

I've been moving more towards lichess from chess.com over the last few years. I would use chess.com for longer time controls and rated games against stronger opponents. I would use lichess for quick anonymous games when you're just having fun and killing time. chess.com also has lots of other resources and puzzles and stuff if you're interested in that as well.
boglehat

Post by boglehat »

I've had a great experience with lichess, really like their mobile App interface. As free as it gets.

Curious, what are your ELOs, boggleheads? 1600 in 5 mins blitz, 1700 rapid. Online only.

Do we have any FMs, IMs or even GMs in this forum?
Mako

Post by Mako »

scout1 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 am I've been moving more towards lichess from chess.com over the last few years. I would use chess.com for longer time controls and rated games against stronger opponents. I would use lichess for quick anonymous games when you're just having fun and killing time. chess.com also has lots of other resources and puzzles and stuff if you're interested in that as well.
+1. I like lichess for live games, but I am pretty busy so I prefer playing 3 days/move where I can just play moves here and there when I have a chance. Chess.com seems like it just has way more players at daily time controls. They have lots of themed tournaments too, which I enjoy sometimes when I want to practice a particular opening.

Chesstempo is great for tactics training. I believe you can play games there too but I never have.
Redlion

Post by Redlion »

Chess.com has many options and you do not have to pay anything unless you upgrade to having multiple puzzles or analyze your games, Even if you choose these features its not costly.
Chess.com offers the opportunity to play opponents from all over the World allowing 10 minutes for each person, or you can play the computer at different levels. There are also tournaments, Blitz games and lots of other options.
The best thing to do is to go on Chess.com, surf the site, play some games and see if you like it.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Mako wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 am
scout1 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 am I've been moving more towards lichess from chess.com over the last few years. I would use chess.com for longer time controls and rated games against stronger opponents. I would use lichess for quick anonymous games when you're just having fun and killing time. chess.com also has lots of other resources and puzzles and stuff if you're interested in that as well.
+1. I like lichess for live games, but I am pretty busy so I prefer playing 3 days/move where I can just play moves here and there when I have a chance. Chess.com seems like it just has way more players at daily time controls. They have lots of themed tournaments too, which I enjoy sometimes when I want to practice a particular opening.

Chesstempo is great for tactics training. I believe you can play games there too but I never have.
redhotpawn is the best for long games, multiple days per move is normal.

lichess is the best for overall play

chess.com has the most players and is also very good.
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

Lichess for playing games for fun. Chess.com has more players and its rating matches closer to USCF so AI use that site for serious games. Lichess is not bad if you are closer to 1800-2000 rating and above. Lichess starts everyone at 1500 so you end up playing beginners a lot in the sub 1800 range.

My own rating is 1750 blitz, 1850 Rapid, 1975 classical and 2100 correspondence, all on Lichess.

After moving to the BH approach, all the time I saved goes to play chess😀
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Lichess.

I've played over 6500 three minute games since joining in mid 2018.
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

What are people's favorite places for tutorials? I was using Chessmaster 9000 but now that my Mac is upgraded I can't use the program anymore. Thanks!
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Just an update on my initial post, to show how (at age 69) out of touch I am.

I grew up in what I now realize is called a "traditional chess" world. Games take hours, and there is no "clock." Yesterday I started listening to Tim Ferris's interview of a chess master by the name of Maurice Ashley, and I realized that in the chess world today people play speed chess - five minute games. I was totally unaware of this.

I had played a few games on chess.com and weird stuff happened. I did notice a clock, but I paid no attention to it.

I now realize, in retrospect, that I was playing five minute games. I was taking my time, totally oblivious to this!

Geesh ..... :)
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:16 am Just an update on my initial post, to show how (at age 69) out of touch I am.

I grew up in what I now realize is called a "traditional chess" world. Games take hours, and there is no "clock." Yesterday I started listening to Tim Ferris's interview of a chess master by the name of Maurice Ashley, and I realized that in the chess world today people play speed chess - five minute games. I was totally unaware of this.

I had played a few games on chess.com and weird stuff happened. I did notice a clock, but I paid no attention to it.

I now realize, in retrospect, that I was playing five minute games. I was taking my time, totally oblivious to this!

Geesh ..... :)
I play 3 minute games more than any other type.

Funny story...

On our last cruise, my son and I played chess on the large, outdoor board where each piece is 2 feet tall. After finishing, another guest asked if he could play me. I was happy to, but it was obvious he didn't play fast games. I played every move almost immediately and he was getting really, visibly annoyed. I ended up winning.

A non English speaking crew member watched in his work overalls and I motioned an invite to play, but he declined as I suspect he would have caught crap for doing so.
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Hard for me to believe that all this "fast" chess (3 minute, 5 minute 10 minute per-side games) is vastly inferior to "slow" chess. Seems like a symptom of our short attention span society.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:18 am Hard for me to believe that all this "fast" chess (3 minute, 5 minute 10 minute per-side games) is vastly inferior to "slow" chess. Seems like a symptom of our short attention span society.
If I'm taking a short break from work, I have time for a few 3 minute games. Not so much untimed.