Streaming Peacock

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cheese_breath

Streaming Peacock

Post by cheese_breath »

Has anybody tried the NBC Streaming Peacock on their computer yet?

How do you like it?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
n8healer

Re: Streaming Peacock

Post by n8healer »

As a matter of fact, the streaming feature isn't working on our TV, although it is working for all of the other subscriptions. I saw a little Brave New World on my phone and it seemed interesting.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I was expecting something more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdasbxrmwhA
Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

sailaway wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm I was expecting something more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdasbxrmwhA
Streaming peacock, not strutting peacock. :happy
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:38 pm
sailaway wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm I was expecting something more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdasbxrmwhA
I was streaming the strutting peacock! Couldn't find a peacock cam first try, so settled for this guy.
Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

sailaway wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:39 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:38 pm
I was streaming the strutting peacock! Couldn't find a peacock cam first try, so settled for this guy.
:D :D :D
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

I keep seeing it advertised during the NHL playoff broadcasts. I haven't had the motivation to actually investigate it.

"YouTube TV" is too much the bomb for me to put forth the effort to investigate something else. (Tried Sling for their three day trial, cancelled it before the three days were up.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

Did not bother to try it after I read that it does not work with monitors connected to a laptop's HDMI port. That plus no Roku support makes in unusable.
https://www.reddit.com/r/peacock/commen ... y_peacock/

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Oicuryy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm Did not bother to try it after I read that it does not work with monitors connected to a laptop's HDMI port. That plus no Roku support makes in unusable.

Ron
It works with my desktop computer and monitor (HDMI).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I'm sorry I signed up. After I watched the first episode (Free Basic Membership) of Brave New World (which was not very good), I was told I had to pay to see Episode 2. My LG television (which is over three years old) had an app available for Peacock, so it was easy to view.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I set it up through our Apple TV, which was easy, and it works fine. There is lots of content - current and past NBC shows, lots of movies, etc. I haven't had time yet to figure it all out. I've heard certain shows (Seinfeld, Fraser, Friends, etc) that have been licensed to other services may be pulled at the end of the contract and then be exclusive to Peacock. Their "basic' content, which is the vast majority, is free. They do show commercials but they are short - a few 15-30 second interruptions during an episode, so nothing like you'll experience with a broadcast show.

I was interested in Brave New World, and watched the first show, then noticed episodes 3 and up were "premium content' and required an additional $4.99 monthly subscription. You can also get a no ads tier with premium content for $9.99.

At this point, I doubt I'll upgrade. I'll probably check out the 2nd episode of Brave New World and review what other premium content they have, before I make a final decision. But, with Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, and Disney Plus, I've got more content than time to watch.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

jebmke wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:48 pm
Oicuryy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm Did not bother to try it after I read that it does not work with monitors connected to a laptop's HDMI port. That plus no Roku support makes in unusable.

Ron
It works with my desktop computer and monitor (HDMI).
It depends on how the monitor reports itself over HDMI. It seems like Peacock doesn't want you hooking your laptop up to a TV, but they've taken a proverbial sledgehammer to the problem instead of a scalpel. That means some people who have perfectly normal monitor setups are getting caught up in the code.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Could be. I just signed up to give it a look. I didn't see anything worthwhile but I rarely watch anything on television except MLB games.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Downloaded it on my Apple TV box strictly to watch the Dan Patrick show which is leaving YouTube and going to Peacock in a few weeks. Worked fine and there seemed to be a fair amount of free content, but doubt I will be watching much given I already have YouTube TV, Prime and Netflix.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Peacock is part of our Comcast package, seems fine.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

A few shows I wanted to watch, but their deal with roku fell apart before launch...so I'm out. Don't want to spend money on another streaming device just for this network and not interested in watching shows on a computer screen. Kinda disappointed though....
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

This thread inspired me to actually try out the Peacock app that I had downloaded to my iPad a while ago.

First bad impression was that the signup screen didn’t accept my 1Password-autogenerated secure password because of an unsupported character. Didn’t see what is allowed, so I removed all non-alphanumerical characters.

Chromecast streaming works, so watching on our big screens is not going to be a problem.

Don’t think I want another paid subscription, so unless they have a must-see show/movie at some point, I think I will just keep it as an NBC “DVR” and archive for when I miss something that I really wanted to see.
FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan »

The main reason I see people signing up for Peacock network is to stream The Office. My kids and their friends love that show and is one of the main reasons we signed up for Netflix. This switch of streaming services occurs at the end of the year.

Me personally, I’m not signing up for another streaming service unless we discontinue another. It’s the money but also just another distraction in front of a screen.
Topic Author
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

OP here.

Considering the mixed reviews here I decided to sign up for the free service and see for myself. I tried watching a couple things I hadn't seen before, and meh.

Stagecoach: The Texas Jack Story... Didn't even make it halfway through before totally losing interest.
Project Blue Book... Watched episode 1... Seems like just another government cover-up story.

I haven't given up on the Peacock, but next time I'll try to be more discerning in my choices.
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

I was intrigued by the comments about hooking the thing up to a monitor via HDMI, so I played around a bit (otherwise I would never have taken the Flex out of the box (we're a Roku family).

I've got a three monitor setup on my main PC, 2 Dells and a Sceptre. The Sceptre is connected by HDMI, so that's not an option. Both Dell units use DisplayPort cables with the PC, so there's an empty HDMI port to play around with.

In both cases, I connect the HDMI from the Plex to the Dell, power it up and get the "Bienvenue" screen. Then it goes dead and I get the message "No signal from HDMI" on the monitor(s)...which is BS since I already received the Welcome message.

I also tried removing the DisplayPort cable(s) so the ONLY signal going to the Dell via HDMI comes from the Plex. Same result...Bienvenue...black screen...dead.

I can't imagine that opening a ticket with XFinity will be worth my time. If anyone is running a rig like I've described and have made Flex work, I trust the BH crew before I trust XFinity. :D