Products that last forever

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lalamimi

Re: Products that last forever

Post by Lalamimi »

I agree, PYREX, CORNING WARE (some from wedding in 1975). DH has an edger he bought in 1966 when he was in 8th grade (he is about to be 69). Salad Master cookware, purchased in 1990, used almost daily). Martha Stewart Silver Label towels from KMart, mid 90s. 1989 Sea Ray inboard boat. Have not used it in 2 yrs but getting it ready to take out again next month.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

In the kitchen, I haven't been as impressed with wusthof. We hand wash them and after about 15 years the plastic is starting to break.

My wife has Al Clad and they have all held up great. Kitchen Aid stand mixer is 20 years old with no issues and looks like it did on day 1. Boos block has lasted 15 years.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Kubota compact tractor B2410. I maintain it per the user manual but I beat the $##% out of it (I don't baby it). Going on 20 years the only parts I have bought are the safety lights I've broken off with branches etc. May have to replace to hydraulic hoses but only because I think "they must be too old by now".

Wusthof knives. Agree the plastic handles don't hold up forever. The warranty replacement still works though.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Burial vaults have a lifetime warranty.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers »

The oldest items I own that have been in continuous use since new are a pair of Yamaha NS690 stereo speakers. I bought mine new about 43 years ago; have moved them about 15 times; and still use them daily as the core part of a home theater sound system. They apparently still sell on eBay for $500 to $1000.

We also have some musical instruments in the house that date from 50 to 105 years old; properly cared for, they still sound like new, but they don't see a lot of regular use. High quality acoustic musical instruments can last a very, very long time if they get the proper care.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TiVo DVR - installed in May 2010 with lifetime subscription. Still working perfectly, hard drive spinning ten+ years with only power outages interrupting. I had to replace the case fan once for $5. Also replaced the remote a few years ago as we dropped the original too many times.

Panasonic Viera 50” plasma TV, installed November 2010. Used almost daily and still working perfectly with no image degradation.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

WildBill wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:58 am Howdy

1982 was a very good year.

1982 Honda Civic, still going strong

Trek 610 mountain bike, bought in 1982, second year for model, ridden on 5 continents, also still going strong
I had a 1982 Honda Civic. Mine became an oil-burning rust-bucket.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

My first purchase after moving into our first house was an old wheel barrow from a very old neighbor who was moving to assisted living. It has endured another 33 years of abuse since then and looks exactly the same as when I bought it.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner

Post by 123 »

Stanley aluminum dutch oven from the 1940's. A family heirloom treasure.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Bogle7

Furniture

Post by Bogle7 »

Montego patio furniture from Room & Board.
Stainless steel and ípe.
https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/ou ... tego-sofas
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

retire57 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am KitchenAid mixer.
So long as you only make 1 loaf of bread per year or it was purchased a couple decades ago.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I've had my Kindle Keyboard for almost 10 years - a lot longer than I imagined. I still use it every day.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Hard to image my barbell, plates, or dumbbells ever wearing out.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Tilly Hats
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

My Yamaha upright piano - bought in the spring of 1977 to help me deal with frustrations of working in the tax department of one of the Big Eight accounting firms during tax season. Well worth the money! Brings me as much joy now as it did 43 years ago.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

My 1943 Martin 000-18 sounds better than ever.

Snap-on 3/8 socket set still works perfectly 45 years later.

Macbook pro 2013 - runs like brand new, no fuss no muss.
boglefannyc

Post by boglefannyc »

My early 80’s Hewlett-Packard model 11c calculator. I still use it and it’s built like a tank. The keys are still responsive and firm with no repeating. I think it’s going to outlast me.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

A Rolex
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

My Mauviel M'250 set of pots and pans. Purchased about 20 years ago. They don't look as good anymore (I'm not so good about keeping the copper polished), but they make me a better cook.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Petrocelli wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:44 pmA Rolex
Second that.

I was also going to add - I know that 15 years isn't "forever", but we have a Kenmore washer/dryer set that is still going strong. No maintenance required over the 15 years of their life. Amortized cost is now < $20/year.
Watty

Post by Watty »

mak1277 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:15 pm
Petrocelli wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:44 pmA Rolex
Second that.

I was also going to add - I know that 15 years isn't "forever", but we have a Kenmore washer/dryer set that is still going strong. No maintenance required over the 15 years of their life. Amortized cost is now < $20/year.
You should replace the washing machine hoses if they are that old too.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

I have a couple mid-layer shirts from Patagonia that I bought in the late 80s and which seem likely to make it 45 more years.

On a side note, the way to google for stuff like this is to add "BIFL" to your search. E.g.: "BIFL toasters" will lead you to a discussion of toasters that will last a lifetime. The acronym stands for Buy It For Life, I think.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I don't have one, but I'd imagine that the $50 Yeti bottle opener could be passed down for about 10 generations

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

1941 Lionel Train set that still runs great (my dad originally got it when he was 6 - he’s still around but divesting some possessions).

Jim Dandy hammer and Disston saw from the 50’s.

Pioneer SX-6 Stereo Receiver, Sony Turntable and Audio Technica stylus from circa 1980 that still can play vinyl records (still got those as well).
Van

Post by Van »

Plastic anything. UNFORTUNATELY.
Last edited by Van on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Klein set of nut drivers for appliance repair.

My dad had these in 1968 for repairing appliances (stoves, washers, dryers, etc).
I used them to repair rental unit appliances and then in my shop ever since then till today.
52 years.

j :D
picture is a new set, not mine.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:26 pm Klein set of nut drivers for appliance repair.

My dad had these in 1968 for repairing appliances (stoves, washers, dryers, etc).
I used them to repair rental unit appliances and then in my shop ever since then till today.
52 years.

How about a photo of your special set?
That would be nice (even if no case or handles or whatever!).
:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine »

Any Goodyear welted shoe (Red Wing, Allen Edmond, Oak Street Bootmakers, Quoddy, etc.)
Baracuta G9 Harrington jacket
Estwing hammer
Tru-Cut reel mower
MiUSA Brooks Brothers oxfords and casual shirts
Bill's Khakis
Filson backpack
Bean Boots
Barbour quilted jacket
Reigning Champ sweatpants
Tilley hat
Bellroy billfold
Riccar vacuum cleaner
Chaco sandles
Pendleton wool blanket
Topo Designs duffel bag
Darn Tough socks
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Luke Duke wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:08 pm I don't have one, but I'd imagine that the $50 Yeti bottle opener could be passed down for about 10 generations

So could many $2 bottle openers.
jco

Post by jco »

csm wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:10 am Where can I purchase the originals? I'm gutted!
Here is one place that seems to specialize, but I have no experience or association with them: https://icedteapitcher.myshopify.com/

If you search for Boroscolite glass on Amazon, you can find some of the original stuff, if you're willing to pay outrageous shipping costs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QT4MNGC

You can get non-pyrex branded Boroscolite glass bakeware cheaper, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T77Y4XQ/
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

led light-bulbs, well maybe not forever but I have yet to burn one out. My blacksmith cousin has a 100 year old 700 pound or so anvil that I expect will last a few hundred more years and they actually appreciate in value.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Luke Duke wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:08 pm I don't have one, but I'd imagine that the $50 Yeti bottle opener could be passed down for about 10 generations

Whoa...$50 for a bottle opener?
Slow and steady wins the race.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

Victorinox Swiss Army knives from long ago

Steel or titanium mountain bike frames

Cast iron vises from 30+ years ago

Sears, Snap-on and Mac Tools from 30+ years ago

Snap-on floor jacks from 40+ years ago (I have two of them!)

Calphalon Professional (anodized aluminum) cookware from the 1980's

Global and Henckel stainless steel cutlery

Old furniture made from real wood

Gibson and Martin guitars from years ago

Mazzer coffee grinders
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

RJC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 am Our Vitamix. We use it multiple times a day for many years.
+1
yules

Post by yules »

True love.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

Chuck107 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:23 am Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm 1962 w/thumb safety.
In operation today, never worked on, still a very hard hitter. :twisted:
+1
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:26 pm Klein set of nut drivers for appliance repair.

52 years.

+1 on snapping a pic of your set for us
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

dunkmachine wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:36 pm Any Goodyear welted shoe (Red Wing, Allen Edmond, Oak Street Bootmakers, Quoddy, etc.)
Baracuta G9 Harrington jacket
Estwing hammer
Tru-Cut reel mower
MiUSA Brooks Brothers oxfords and casual shirts
Bill's Khakis
Filson backpack
Bean Boots
Barbour quilted jacket
Reigning Champ sweatpants
Tilley hat
Bellroy billfold
Riccar vacuum cleaner
Chaco sandles
Pendleton wool blanket
Topo Designs duffel bag
Darn Tough socks
I must be hard on my Darn Tough socks - killed 2 of them fairly quickly with my running. They replaced them at no cost which was cool, but its honestly cheaper and more convenient to just buy cheaper other brands.
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

Wood burner stove. Vermont Castings.
sean2724

Post by sean2724 »

Not quite forever....

A 90oz container of Dawn Ultra purchased from Costco :P
... and Costco dryer sheets.

We're on year 5 with the soap, which I think is absurd. We could probably go another year.
We dilute it in water, but otherwise use it liberally.

As for something more durable...
Baratza coffee grinder. They build them to be repaired and sell all the applicable parts you'd need.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

oldlongbeard wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:22 pm
RJC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 am Our Vitamix. We use it multiple times a day for many years.
+1
My boyfriend and I like to do cooking classes and even the owner of the cooking school was raving about the Vitamix. I have the Nutribullet because I always do single servings, and it is so easy to clean.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

dsmclone wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:05 am In the kitchen, I haven't been as impressed with wusthof. We hand wash them and after about 15 years the plastic is starting to break.

My wife has Al Clad and they have all held up great. Kitchen Aid stand mixer is 20 years old with no issues and looks like it did on day 1. Boos block has lasted 15 years.
I have had a similar issue with Wusthof knives. I always hand wash them but had to glue part of the handle on one knife recently after it cracked off which was disappointing. Probably about 12-13 years old. :|
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

simplesimon wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 am Home gym consisting of steel power rack, plates, and barbell.
I think dumbbells take it one step further. No moving parts.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Colt 1911a1
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sean2724 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:57 pm Baratza coffee grinder. They build them to be repaired and sell all the applicable parts you'd need.
Mine needed a replacement part. The part had a notch to hook over a tab or a tab to fit into a notch -- I forget which -- but the notch was too small or the tab was too big. It was resolved with a file.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

CFM300 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:44 pm Hard to image my barbell, plates, or dumbbells ever wearing out.
+1 Which is my I don't get all the Rogue love. It's great gear, but budget stuff (rep fitness, fringe) should last anybody a lifetime. And I say this as someone who has some really high-end gear (ie. Eleiko). I have a fringe wonder bar that I got for like $140 that has seen a decade of 500lbs+ deadlifts and tons of olympic lifting; straight and spins like the day I bought it. If you can destroy budget bars or plates, you either are incredibly strong or have no idea what you are doing.
maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Firearms. I own several that are 80-100 years old that still get used. My every day trapping gun is a 100 year old rolling block .22 rifle that works like new.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Coltrane75 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:51 am 26 Years:
  • Harmon Kardon A/V Receiver AVR 25 II from 1994
    Klipsch floor standing speakers from 1994
App 80-100 Years
Wood Smoother (not sure the proper technical name), from grandfather in Italy, possibly made sometime in between WWI & II
My Harmon Kardon AVR 235 has been going strong for 15 years now.

Peavey Envoy 110 practice amp going strong for almost 30years now.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

Corded power tools (as opposed to rechargable). Really corded anything vs rechargeable.

Even inexpensive corded power tools last virtually forever. A $60 corded drill will likely serve the lifetime needs of a typical homeowner. A rechargeable unit will last 6-8 years at best and you'll need a new battery which will cost almost as much as a new tool. Ditto for circular saws, grinders, etc.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Cast Iron Skillet, if you clean it and store it properly your heirs will probably inherit it from you.