Products that last forever

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
B4Xt3r

Products that last forever

Post by B4Xt3r »

Hi All,

I thought it might be a fun/informative thread for people to share the products that "last forever". Some notes:
  • My intent by using "forever" is a bit flexible, but something like that the life of the product is not limited by its performance degrading
  • Please only share items which you are very familiar with
  • If there is some use-case that would inform the audience's understanding of forever, please share. For example, a tool that lasts forever in residential use may not in professional use
  • I can think of two types of "forever" (and these should probably be specified if possible):
    • Type 1 - product never degrades itself
    • Type 2 - product that with reasonable maintenance/access to support continues to be useful for a massive amount of time

My personal list:
  • Type 1 - Residential use of wusthof kitchen knives
  • Type 1 - Residential use of benchmade straight blade knives
  • Type 2 - vehicles with an enthusiast hobby crowd that ensures aftermarket support even beyond manufacturing from the original manufacturing. My nearly 20 year abused old jeep still has plenty of support. Jeep may stretch the term "reasonable maintenance" for some...haha ;)
Depending on other people's lists, I might have to go out and get some.
Chuck107

Re: Products that last forever

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum. -- mod oldcomputerguy
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Sufferlandrian

Post by Sufferlandrian »

Cast iron skillet
Learning to fish.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Pet rock.
retire57

Post by retire57 »

KitchenAid mixer.
jco

Post by jco »

My definition of lasts forever is 14+ years (i.e., things we bought when we first got married and are still working).

1. Stainless steel cookware. We were gifted Emerill cookware, which is not even high end cookware, and it still works great.
2. Aluminum cooking sheets.
3. Stainless steel cooking utensils (ladle, spatula, whisk)
4. Zeroll metal ice cream scoop.
5. Kitchen aid mixer (from before marriage, actually)

In terms of kids' toys (and not quite 14 years):

1. The Thomas the Tank engine railroad track (both thick plastic and wooden) and die-cast trains work just as well as when we purchased them for our 12 year old approximately 10 years ago.
2. The metal Radio Flyer tricycles.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sufferlandrian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:46 am Cast iron skillet
I have one that is at least 75 years old. Use it all the time.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

jebmke wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:24 am
Sufferlandrian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:46 am Cast iron skillet
I have one that is at least 75 years old. Use it all the time.
I was going to suggest that one, too, but you beat me to it. I expect there are some in use from the 19th century.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
RJC

Post by RJC »

Our Vitamix. We use it multiple times a day for many years.
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

Hands down. Pardon the pun.

Fingernail Clippers.

Daily use over decades. Has anyone ever seen a competitor to old faithful?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Products I own that seam to last forever:

Original "Craftsman" mechanics socket and wrench sets of various sizes (before they outsourced to marginal things).
Original Penske 3/8" ratchet. (yes, JC Penney)
Casio basic wrist watch (certainly feels like they last forever)
Vintage Fountain Pens (1947 Pelikan, 1943 Parker Vacumatic, 51, etc) Used weekly.
Vintage Typewriters (1948 Smith Corona Sterling, 1951 Royal, etc) Used Weekly.
Various styles of Heavyweight Tokaido "Gi"s from Japan (have some sets nearly 50 years old).
Government worker issue all metal paper staplers.
Quality construction tools.

Things made by Toyota in Japan.

Also: The best and the worse memories. :shock:
j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Seiko SKX007 Dive Watch
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

The knowledge you gain from this site :sharebeer
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Agree about good cookware!

I've still got my first *big* Le Creuset "dutch oven" (large, heavy pot with lid, for in oven or on stove).
I've had it since the 1970s, and have since gotten several more in different sizes, and all are just fine. No denting (no surprise, given thickness/weight), and also no chipping, which has been a bit of a nice surprise.

My early "Revere ware" pots and pans didn't hold up quite so well. That was mostly due to thinness of metal, so they dented a bit, but also the handles and lid knobs tended to loosen.

My somewhat newer "more expensive" cookware is much better. No easily detachable handles/lid knobs that loosen, for one thing, and of course, they are much heavier weight, so thus far zero denting.

Pyrex glass measuring cups. Some of mine also go back to the 1970s.

And then there is CORELLE dishware :happy

There are some other things still hanging around (until we downsize, ahem) that would probably fit in this category, but the technology has been upgraded enough, and in a very useful way, that there's just no good use for the older style.

Tupperware, the old stuff. The only problem with those is they get lost, especially lids :(

As for Wusthof knives, I found that the ones that had the "tightly pressed wood" layers for the handles (with 3 screws or such holding them together along the handle) did NOT wear well. There has been flaking of the wood, and the screws have loosened a bit. These are also from the 1970s, but some that are almost that old but with a difference handle construction seem to be aging better.
There was a "lifetime" guarantee on those Wusthof knives, but I could never get any replacements. But I didn't try very hard, either.

Diamonds. :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Firearms. My favorite 22 was purchased by my dad ~45 years ago while he was in high school.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Toyoya Landcruiser and my Boston Whaler..I swear both are built to last forever.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

OldBallCoach wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 am Toyoya Landcruiser and my Boston Whaler..I swear both are built to last forever.
Think they'll make it 75-100 years? The Whaler,maybe.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Some previous ideas ...

Where to find common items that last "forever"

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=196810&hilit=last+ ... f&start=50
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

jebmke wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am
OldBallCoach wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 am Toyoya Landcruiser and my Boston Whaler..I swear both are built to last forever.
Think they'll make it 75-100 years? The Whaler,maybe.
Good point...the Whaler has a shot I swear...the LC...well I get a new one every 350K so your right about that...but interesting that Toyoya designs every part on a LC to last at LEAST 25 years..so...maybe with some repairs?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I bought my Honda self-propelled mower in 1983 and it's still running fine. It had relatively light usage from 1995-2007, since we had a very large lawn so most of the cutting was by riding mower. Then the Honda was only used for hard-to-reach areas, but it was still run 1-2 each week during the season. It sees a new air filter about once every 6 years, a new blade every few years, and a new spark plug about once each decade. At the end of the cutting season, I run the gas dry, drain the carb bowl, change the oil and wash off the mower deck.

The only other maintenance I can remember was replacement of the drive wheels after they wore out, a new pull start string and some wire to hold the old grass catcher bag together.

May not last forever but the engine usually starts on the first pull, even after 37 years. Sometimes I wish it would quit.
Watty

Post by Watty »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:51 am Pyrex glass measuring cups. Some of mine also go back to the 1970s.
Be aware that the Pyrex brand name was sold and the formula for the glass was changed in the 1990's so that the older Pyrex is a lot better than the stuff that is sold today.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Chuck107 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:28 am S&K socket set, used and abused going on 45 yrs, never had anything break or need replacing. Most quality brands are similar.
Pretty much all quality hand tools. I have never “worn out” a set of box-end wrenches, socket set, wonder-bar, etc.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

retire57 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am KitchenAid mixer.
I was just going to say this! I have a black mixer that I bought 20 years ago. Since then, they've come out with all these cool colors that I'd prefer to have, but my mixer shows no sign of failure whatsoever!
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

The American Standard boiler at my late parents house that used hot water radiators. I think it dated from the 1960s, used heavily every winter. Don't think anyone did any maintenance on it other than every few years draining and flushing the water in the system. Dad had an HVAC tech check out the burners and everything looked fine. Pump hummed along doing its job.

I don't think our current central air furnace will make it to 20, and don't really want to try - the AC is already 22 years old so planning replacements this fall...
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Watty wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:17 am
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:51 am Pyrex glass measuring cups. Some of mine also go back to the 1970s.
Be aware that the Pyrex brand name was sold and the formula for the glass was changed in the 1990's so that the older Pyrex is a lot better than the stuff that is sold today.
If you need to differentiate, the pre-sale, original PYREX logo is in all caps, the newer stuff is lowercase pyrex. I think the newer stuff has a blue tint as well.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Two 75-year old sentimental items I inherited from my grandparents - a galvanized watering can and redwood table with benches.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Corning has licensed out the use of their PYREX® (upper case lettering) and pyrex® (lower case lettering) logos to 2 different companies. They are not the same products. In the past Corning made PYREX (upper case) out of Borosilicate Glass. Now, in America pyrex (lower case) is made of Soda-Lime Glass.

However, in France PYREX® is STILL made of Borosilicate Glass. French Borosilicate PYREX has a much higher resistance to Thermal Shock, similar to the older US PYREX.

You can tell by the logo. If the logo is in upper case lettering it is the safer Borosilicate Glass (either modern French or vintage USA Corning).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Yeah, and unfortunately, that's happened in many cases with products (materials, design) that have not been "sold off"... vendors/manufacturers just trying to "economize" and reduce prices, etc.

RM
jeep5ter

Post by jeep5ter »

Waltham pocket watch with 17 or more jewels. My 1901 is still going strong. Needs a cleaning every 5 years or so.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:44 am Hands down. Pardon the pun.

Fingernail Clippers.

Daily use over decades. Has anyone ever seen a competitor to old faithful?
you haven't picked up a set of WIFI fingernail clippers yet?
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Coins
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

Our Toro snowblower has handled 19 years of heavy, wet Midwestern snow. It’s an unstoppable beast.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Toys - those old TONKA yellow trucks... - not the ones, but the old ones - when they were still made of metal.
These have been in the family for 25 years now and not even any rust on them.

They're the definition of - they don't make stuff like they used to anymore. :)
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Snap-on tools
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Fine, well made solid wood furniture. If taken care of just a little, it will last many generations.
Last edited by carolinaman on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Home gym consisting of steel power rack, plates, and barbell.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

Well made books. Not cheap paperbacks or books with poor quality paper or binding materials, and definitely not electronic.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
mhc

Post by mhc »

p38 can opener (carried on my key chain for 35 years)
pocket knives (if you don't lose them)
desk I'm sitting at right now (got used in 1994)
most hand tools
most garden tools
most kitchen containers, utensils, dishes, silverware, ...
wrought iron patio furniture
garage shelves
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

B4Xt3r wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:20 am Hi All,

I thought it might be a fun/informative thread for people to share the products that "last forever". Some notes:
  • My intent by using "forever" is a bit flexible, but something like that the life of the product is not limited by its performance degrading
  • Please only share items which you are very familiar with
  • If there is some use-case that would inform the audience's understanding of forever, please share. For example, a tool that lasts forever in residential use may not in professional use
  • I can think of two types of "forever" (and these should probably be specified if possible):
    • Type 1 - product never degrades itself
    • Type 2 - product that with reasonable maintenance/access to support continues to be useful for a massive amount of time

My personal list:
  • Type 1 - Residential use of wusthof kitchen knives
  • Type 1 - Residential use of benchmade straight blade knives
  • Type 2 - vehicles with an enthusiast hobby crowd that ensures aftermarket support even beyond manufacturing from the original manufacturing. My nearly 20 year abused old jeep still has plenty of support. Jeep may stretch the term "reasonable maintenance" for some...haha ;)
Depending on other people's lists, I might have to go out and get some.

I just want to say one word to you. Just one word - plastics !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dug-G9xVdVs
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

mhc wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 am wrought iron patio furniture
Our wrought iron patio furniture has been sitting out in the elements for years... some of the paint was chipping and it had a couple small rust spots. I refinished it and gave it a new color recently, and it looks brand new!
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

I love technology but am keenly aware that anything that is "smart" or otherwise "high tech" will have a finite lifespan. I recognize that is the nature of evolving computer technologies, but it's also clearly part of a design strategy to make seemingly useful and expensive things that have a lifecycle. Planned obsolescence can be a controversial term, but along those lines. It's frustrating, though, because so many otherwise good household items increasingly have mission-critical electronics incorporated into them that can't be readily replaced. So if you want it to last forever, buy "dumb"!

I spend lots of time in the kitchen and so will echo the thoughts of others in endorsing residential cast iron cookwear, stoneware, and decent-to-high-end metal cookwear. I could well never replace my current set of All-Clad pots and pans (although I might expand it!), my cast iron Dutch Ovens, and my couple cast iron skillets. I'd put a high-end Chef's knife in that territory too, but obviously they take regular maintenance in the form of sharpening.

A good Weber charcoal grill, and heck, probably a well-maintained Weber gas grill, also could go on this list.

Well-made furniture, like dining tables, can also last functionally forever, and are more limited by style choices. I don't buy it that couches and chairs last forever, though, too much inherent wear and tear.

I'd be curious whether people think residential ceiling fans can go into the "forever" category. I've replaced numerous cheap ceiling fans installed before I moved in, but I don't remember myself or my parents ever replacing a high-quality ceiling fan that we had selected and installed ourselves.

To be more mundane, my double-edge safety razor will outlast me, and I still enjoy using it each morning.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 am Fine, well made solid wood furniture. If taken care of just a little, it will last many generations.
Don't need to do much - often less is more. In fact, one key is to not use modern products to clean. I have a mid-1800s pie safe. Gets just a wipe with a clean cloth to remove dust.
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

26 Years:
  • Harmon Kardon A/V Receiver AVR 25 II from 1994
    Klipsch floor standing speakers from 1994
App 80-100 Years
Wood Smoother (not sure the proper technical name), from grandfather in Italy, possibly made sometime in between WWI & II
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I have a pair of Rainbow sandals that are going on 25yrs. I still wear them about once a week and previously (~15yrs ago) they were worn daily. I've heard they are no longer made as well.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

IMO, one of the biggest factors in if something can "last forever" is if it has moving parts or not. I have a cast iron skillet and couple pieces of good wood furniture that I've had for decades that still look great.
csm

Post by csm »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am
Corning has licensed out the use of their PYREX® (upper case lettering) and pyrex® (lower case lettering) logos to 2 different companies. They are not the same products. In the past Corning made PYREX (upper case) out of Borosilicate Glass. Now, in America pyrex (lower case) is made of Soda-Lime Glass.

However, in France PYREX® is STILL made of Borosilicate Glass. French Borosilicate PYREX has a much higher resistance to Thermal Shock, similar to the older US PYREX.

You can tell by the logo. If the logo is in upper case lettering it is the safer Borosilicate Glass (either modern French or vintage USA Corning).
I am so glad I read this, and devastated that I gave up my original set of three measuring cups in our recent move, thinking it was inexpensive to replace.

Mine was purchased in the 80's and went with me to Denmark where I lived for 30 years. When moving back to the U.S. recently, we only brought what we could carry in suitcases on our multiple flights back-and-forth while we had the house on the market.

I had my 3-set pyrex boxed and wrapped in a suitcase one trip, but was overweight so had to leave it. When I looked it up on Amazon and saw I could replace the entire set for around $15, I decided to give away the original set.

I'm assuming this is *not* what I want to purchase?
https://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Measuring- ... 00M2J7PCI/

Where can I purchase the originals? I'm gutted!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am

Interesting, and "good to know".
I had no idea about the upper/lower case difference, and had paid no attention to that.

I just kept hauling "a few of my favorite things" (and perhaps not just "a few") because it was "easier" than sorting through stuff, plus I'm a bit of a pack rat with things i like.
In some cases, like with the Le Creuset, those would have been expensive to leave behind and then replace for each move.

The decline in quality over time is sometimes astonishing, in some things at least.
Those would be the things that are probably NOT going to "last forever".

RM
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

1982 was a very good year.

1982 Honda Civic, still going strong

Trek 610 mountain bike, bought in 1982, second year for model, ridden on 5 continents, also still going strong
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid