SOLVED was: Ideas for hard-to-find OTC supplement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MandyT

SOLVED was: Ideas for hard-to-find OTC supplement?

Post by MandyT »

This is personal, and the financial aspect is that I'd rather avoid paying through the nose for rush shipping. I would like to start right away (or close), and routine shipping would take about a week.

My doctor has directed me to buy a specific dosage of a specific supplement. It seems easy enough to find through Amazon or eBay, but places such as Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, GNC, etc. do not seem to carry it. I guess it's old-school, but I would like to walk into a store and purchase this item, and I'm wondering if there are any possibilities I may be overlooking. (I do not belong to Costco or Sam's Club.)
Last edited by MandyT on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raybo

Re: Ideas for hard-to-find OTC supplement?

Post by Raybo »

Are there "health" or "natural" food stores in your area? If so, they usually have extensive supplement sections.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

We buy several hard to find supplements through Amazon. Have been doing that for several years with no problems.

I have yet to find a couple of those supplements in any local store.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

looking in stores
to find a particular supplement
in a particular dosage per pill
on the shelf
produced by a 'name brand'
can be quite challenging.... guess how i know :happy

i use amazon for things i cannot find local (like at Costco).

i also look for them to be USP verified, though most are not.

https://www.usp.org/verification-servic ... practices.
Last edited by cashboy on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Topic Author
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I decided to start a free trial of Amazon Prime, so, fingers crossed, I might have my item on Thursday. My next project is to figure out what I want to watch on Prime Video for the next month. Thanks for the replies.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

MandyT wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:18 pm I decided to start a free trial of Amazon Prime, so, fingers crossed, I might have my item on Thursday. My next project is to figure out what I want to watch on Prime Video for the next month. Thanks for the replies.
I found that once I finally gave in and subscribed to Amazon Prime, it was darned near impossible to give it up.

Especially in these days of the pandemic, it’s really nice to be able to order most anything and get it delivered in a day or two, rather than running around town and not finding many items that I need.

I hope that Amazon has what you want. And enjoy Prime Video.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

MandyT wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:18 pm I decided to start a free trial of Amazon Prime, so, fingers crossed, I might have my item on Thursday. My next project is to figure out what I want to watch on Prime Video for the next month. Thanks for the replies.
Try the free ebooks.
Coolguy8877

Re: SOLVED was: Ideas for hard-to-find OTC supplement?

Post by Coolguy8877 »

Depending on what you need and your access to a local independent pharmacy (there are fewer and fewer these days), you could try asking a pharmacist at one of these locations. They may be able to order and possibly compound the dosage you need. There are also some compounding pharmacies that may offer assistance as well.
rec630

Post by rec630 »

Perhaps try calling customer service at manufacturer and ask them where to buy? If not retail locations they may be able to provide distributor info which could point to a retailer.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Handy website for Supplement reviews, etc.
https://www.consumerlab.com/
Though, not always focused on the quality (etc) per se, of the product content.

Brands: Zymogen, Douglas Lab, Now, Pure Encapsulations, Bulk Supplements (if loose).
There are higher quality brands available only through a Doctor, Naturopath, Endo, etc. that can be ordered online with the doctor's patient code #.

There can be a very large difference between the same name product but different brand from Costco vs etc. So research carefully.
Mainstream retail and "big box" store products can be . . . lacking at times.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Check out the documentary section of Amazon Prime Video Movies. They have some pretty interesting offbeat movies.
Some of these are pretty recent.
I will note that they have Laurel Canyon (2 parts) that is about the music scene there in the early 1970s (with lots of rare clips). (This was a recent show on Epix, a premium channel.)

There are some, well, rare but interesting films about NY and NJ from a few decades back.

Drill down into Prime Video's offerings. I like it better than Netflix (which I dropped).
Topic Author
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Thanks for the replies. When I ordered my item, it listed an August 13 delivery date. Once it shipped, the estimate changed to August 14 by 9PM. That didn't take long. I still think this will have been faster and less labor-intensive than any of the other options.

I mentioned on the TV thread that I watched the pilot of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel today.

Edit 8/13 evening: I have to give them credit--the package arrived in my mailbox today.