Google Play Music sunsetting to YouTube Music

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

Google Play Music sunsetting to YouTube Music

Post by heartwood »

Google has announced that it will sunset it's Play Music platform by year's end. If you have an account and do nothing you apparently lose all your music, even uploaded music, when the service ends.

You can move all your content to the YouTube Music platform. First download the YouTube Music app, then transfer. It seems to have gone easily for me.

I do hate that I have to learn a new interface! I hope that YouTube Musics curated streams will be better.

Anyone currently using YouTube Music?
empb

Re: Google Play Music sunsetting to YouTube Music

Post by empb »

I have clicked the Transfer button but it's spinning on the Uploads and Purchases step for hours....
mhc

Post by mhc »

I have been using Youtube Music for about 1.5 years. I can only compare it to Amazon Prime Music. I prefer Youtube Music (YM). My personal library is on Amazon, but I rarely listen to it. I feel like YM gets stale after a while. I tend to listen to iHeart Radio stations. YM is nice when I want to listen to specific songs. I have some sort of Youtube premium subscription for the family. It is nice for Youtube and YM. I think my kids use YM more than I do.
batpot

Post by batpot »

I've seen nothing from google, just read an article about it
:annoyed
My only concern w/ the transfer is Sonos support. I really like YouTube music because it has bootlegs and other rarities that are not available anywhere else...but most of them are not searchable, and therefore not playable when searching YTM via Sonos. I really hope google fixes that. It's this reason I've been sticking to Google Play Music primarily.

This is only exacerbated by the fact that Sonos is moving to version 2 of their software, and a bunch of my amps are "too old" to be compatible.
This forced obsolescence is really annoying.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

A Google Music no subscription user for a long long time. I am miffed that I have to buy premium to get YTM on Android Auto. My work around is use Bluetooth to access YTM on my phone so far so good.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

Grasshopper wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:51 pm A Google Music no subscription user for a long long time. I am miffed that I have to buy premium to get YTM on Android Auto. My work around is use Bluetooth to access YTM on my phone so far so good.
The family membership to premium is a good deal and watching You Tube videos without pre-roll ads is really worth the $16.50 per month cost ($3 per person per month if you can share it across the family).
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I just downloaded all my music off of Google Music after seeing this news a few days ago, just in case!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've been working on what I will do when GPM is shutdown. You should know that if you do not pay for a subscription, you will not be able to do the following with YT Music (as of now):

-Cast to Google Home smart speakers.
-Play music with the phone screen off.
-Play music with the YT Music app in the background (for example, if you switch to look at your email the music will stop).

I have explored various alternatives. Of course, if you don't mind paying that is the simplest option. I have a big library of all my own music so I'd rather not pay to listen to my own music. The negative to all the other services (except Deezer, Spotify and Pandora) is that you cannot start music with your voice if you have Google smart speakers. You can cast music to them with some of the alternatives, but that requires using your phone. Not handy if in the shower or cooking with dirty hands, etc.

The things I've looked at (I actually looked at more, but these were the most promising for me) with some comments:

-Plex. I have a Plex server and the Android Plex Amp app is good but lacks casting so that is out for me. This requires you to run your own server on a computer (or NAS).

-iBroadcast. This service is free and allows you to upload your own music. The app is pretty good. So far, so good. It seems it will take at least a week to upload all my music though. This seems like my best option unless I bite the bullet and pay for YTM.

-CloudPlayer. This is free and there is a paid app ($8) and will play music from cloud storage (One Drive, Google Drive and DropBox). It seems to work well, the issue is if you have a big library like I do it will not come close to fitting in the free storage they give you. If I have to pay, I might as well pay for YT Music or Spotify or whatever.

All of the above allow you to select music to keep on your phone so it doesn't use data when playing that music.

I use Pandora also (free version) when I don't want to hear specific songs.
johnkidding

Post by johnkidding »

I've been pleasantly suprised by Deezer the past few months.
I've tried them all and I like the mix of good UI, great "Discovery" auto playlists (Really important for me), and high-quality sound.
YouTube music's UI and how it works felt really stale after a couple weeks.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Lots of good coverage here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08 ... -december/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08 ... omplaints/

I rarely buy new music and I don’t have any interest in paying for a subscription service. The bulk of my Google Play Music collection is uploaded Rips from my CD collection. I haven’t switched to YTM yet, but it seems my some of my primary use cases are not supported:

- streaming my own music to Google Home / Chromecast devices without paying a monthly fee
- downloading my own music to my device for offline playing (car, airplane)

So I am now exploring alternatives that let me host my music in one of my cloud file storage accounts and access via iPad/Android clients for online and offline playback and Chromecast streaming.

Note to self: don’t lock yourself into Google cloud services ...
batpot

Post by batpot »

johnkidding wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 am I've been pleasantly suprised by Deezer the past few months.
I've tried them all and I like the mix of good UI, great "Discovery" auto playlists (Really important for me), and high-quality sound.
YouTube music's UI and how it works felt really stale after a couple weeks.
I use GPM's "radio station" quite a bit, and have found some great music by loose association to an album or artist. I wish they made it easier to play a radio station based of an album, but minor gripe.
Spotify's was terrible.
However, I have a GPM family plan that I split with a few friends and family, and the ad-free YouTube benefit is a huge advantage.

I have a local library with gigs of music on a NAS, and Sonos handles this very well, but I rarely play from it anymore. However, it's the only way to play some very obscure bands that aren't streamable.

One of my favorite things to play is a "thumbs up playlist" but it doesn't work with music not hosted by GPM.
Afty

Post by Afty »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm I've been working on what I will do when GPM is shutdown. You should know that if you do not pay for a subscription, you will not be able to do the following with YT Music (as of now):

-Play music with the YT Music app in the background (for example, if you switch to look at your email the music will stop).
The Cast restriction is correct, but I think the other two are not -- they both currently work in my experience. I do not subscribe to YT Music, but I can listen to my own uploaded music (transferred from GPM) on YT Music with the phone screen off or the browser tab in the background.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Afty wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:53 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm I've been working on what I will do when GPM is shutdown. You should know that if you do not pay for a subscription, you will not be able to do the following with YT Music (as of now):

The Cast restriction is correct, but I think the other two are not -- they both currently work in my experience. I do not subscribe to YT Music, but I can listen to my own uploaded music (transferred from GPM) on YT Music with the phone screen off or the browser tab in the background.
Yes, you can play your uploaded music. Their music turns off though. It doesn't do that in GPM.

As I understand it, they are making many changes as there are a lot of unhappy people with YTM. The product manager in an article hinted they may even allow the free version to still work with the speakers. People that bought the speakers are now losing functionality unless they pay a monthly fee.
Afty

Post by Afty »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:10 pm
Afty wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Yes, you can play your uploaded music. Their music turns off though. It doesn't do that in GPM.

As I understand it, they are making many changes as there are a lot of unhappy people with YTM. The product manager in an article hinted they may even allow the free version to still work with the speakers. People that bought the speakers are now losing functionality unless they pay a monthly fee.
Oh wow, you're right. That's pretty bad.
IlliniGuy

Post by IlliniGuy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm -Plex. I have a Plex server and the Android Plex Amp app is good but lacks casting so that is out for me. This requires you to run your own server on a computer (or NAS).
I’m pretty happy with Plex as an alternative. The Plex app (in contrast to the Plex Amp app) supports casting.

In general, I’m very disappointed that Google is taking away the ability to use my Google Assistant speakers to play my uploaded music, unless I pay for a subscription. This was the compelling use-case for me for Google Assistant speakers. Without this feature, I seem to be limited to streaming radio stations.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

IlliniGuy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:40 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm -Plex. I have a Plex server and the Android Plex Amp app is good but lacks casting so that is out for me. This requires you to run your own server on a computer (or NAS).
I’m pretty happy with Plex as an alternative. The Plex app (in contrast to the Plex Amp app) supports casting.

In general, I’m very disappointed that Google is taking away the ability to use my Google Assistant speakers to play my uploaded music, unless I pay for a subscription. This was the compelling use-case for me for Google Assistant speakers. Without this feature, I seem to be limited to streaming radio stations.
I got an email from Google a couple days ago that made me think YTM free might let you listen to your own music on Google Speakers. It says:

"Background play is only available to paid users of YouTube Music. However, the free version of the music app allows background play for your uploaded or purchased songs and streaming on smart devices with Google Assistant."

However, when I try to change my primary music source for the speakers to YTM it says I need premium. Maybe you can cast to the speakers but not play it using your voice?

On the Plex front, one other thing is it is hard to import playlists (need to use 3rd party tools). I have tons of existing playlists I don't want to recreate.
IlliniGuy

Post by IlliniGuy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:44 am
IlliniGuy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:40 am

I got an email from Google a couple days ago that made me think YTM free might let you listen to your own music on Google Speakers. It says:

"Background play is only available to paid users of YouTube Music. However, the free version of the music app allows background play for your uploaded or purchased songs and streaming on smart devices with Google Assistant."

However, when I try to change my primary music source for the speakers to YTM it says I need premium. Maybe you can cast to the speakers but not play it using your voice?
I also received that email, similarly thought that I could play songs from my library with my voice, and it didn’t work for me either. Hopefully it’s a feature that will be added (restored?) soon. From what I’ve read, there seems to be many observations that Google is doing a terrible job with this transition of music services.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

This change has really pissed me off. We have 5 Home speakers + Chromecast Ultra to stream music throughout the house. We often use GPM to play music stations and it appears the switch to YouTube Music will take this away. We are a very Google focused house (Pixel phones, Project Fi phone service) but I didn't expect them to make us pay monthly for free streaming to speaker we had paid for.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Oddball wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:55 am This change has really pissed me off. We have 5 Home speakers + Chromecast Ultra to stream music throughout the house. We often use GPM to play music stations and it appears the switch to YouTube Music will take this away. We are a very Google focused house (Pixel phones, Project Fi phone service) but I didn't expect them to make us pay monthly for free streaming to speaker we had paid for.
+1. The good thing is they know there are a lot of angry people. Even some people that pay are angry as the YTM app/service is not as good (in their opinion). I read they have sent out surveys about YTM to some people.

I also use everything Google (4 speakers, 2 of which aren't the cheap ones), 3 Chromecasts, phone, Chromebook, etc. They do have a habit of pulling the rug out from under you. I used Inbox for my email for years and they pulled the plug on it. They have let Google Voice wither on the vine for years. Frankly, I'd rather pay for something great than be jerked around. It seems like they throw a lot of stuff at the wall and see what sticks rather than extensive market research.
IlliniGuy

Post by IlliniGuy »

I threw in the towel on Plex. It seems to have a lot of potential, but it also seems to require a lot of tweaking to get it working right, and I lost patience after frequently finding my Plex server unavailable.

I really like my new solution. I plugged a USB flash drive filled with my music files into my WiFi router and my router required no additional configuration to function as a music server. I understand that this is a common feature on routers, and that this feature is called DLNA. On my IOS devices I use an app called MusicStreamer to play music. The app will cast to Chromecast speakers and devices! This works only on my home network, so this is obviously a significant limitation compared to Google Play Music. However, the app will let you download songs from your server onto your phone, so it also functions as an iTunes alternative, My Sonos speaker can also access the server. This set up is working very well for me.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

OP here.
Well its several weeks now. Youtube Music is up and running, but I find myself liking the old google play music interface better since I know the formats better. So I frequently still play my music from there.
I'm also doing a multi-month trial on Spotify (3 months, 9.99 + tax). I've tried it before and much prefer Spotify. I've also looked at the premium plan for $14.99, multi users, but only at the same location? So you can't share with your family in another state? Anyone familiar with that? Are they rigid about it or lax like Netflix and HBO?
At least all my ripped music in GPM transferred to YouTube. I'd hate to spend the time to find out how to and actually do a file transfer to Spotify.
Why fix something that wasn't broken?
pmr2017

Post by pmr2017 »

I had been a user of Google Play Music since late 2012. It was one of my favorite apps, and easily the one I used the most. Sad to see it go (or as sad as one can be over a mobile app!). Not a fan of YouTube Music so I made the move over to Spotify premium. So far I like it.
rec630

Post by rec630 »

I wont be moving to the youtube platform. I'm a bit surprised to see PlayMusic updates on the Play store for an app they are shutting down in 3 to 4 months. Ive had 2 updates in the last week or so.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

rec630 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:53 pm I wont be moving to the youtube platform. I'm a bit surprised to see PlayMusic updates on the Play store for an app they are shutting down in 3 to 4 months. Ive had 2 updates in the last week or so.
Probably to more aggressively push you to YTM.....
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

"YouTube Music will soon let you cast uploaded music to smart speakers for free"

https://9to5google.com/2020/09/09/youtu ... -for-free/

It seems like some changes are being made.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:13 pm "YouTube Music will soon let you cast uploaded music to smart speakers for free"

That's not an announcement from Google/YT or one of their reps. It's someone seeing some strings in an APK (which is the format that Android apps use to download.)

I would take that with a very large grain of salt.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Whakamole wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:13 pm "YouTube Music will soon let you cast uploaded music to smart speakers for free"

That's not an announcement from Google/YT or one of their reps. It's someone seeing some strings in an APK (which is the format that Android apps use to download.)

I would take that with a very large grain of salt.
They usually don't change code for no reason. These things often leak before actual comments from the company.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

I have google home speakers. I can say "ok google, play beethoven no 3 symphony eroica" and it will play my uploaded album. (I don't pay anything.)

I transferred all my albums from GPM to YT music. I've been trying to figure out how to play my albums the same way from YT music but lost. Can anyone help?
batpot

Post by batpot »

pretty underwhelmed by it so far, particularly with regards to Sonos integration...really bad. Lots of content searchable in the app, that is not searchable via Sonos.
And my favorite feature is gone - radio station based on album. :annoyed
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

acegolfer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:23 am I have google home speakers. I can say "ok google, play beethoven no 3 symphony eroica" and it will play my uploaded album. (I don't pay anything.)

I transferred all my albums from GPM to YT music. I've been trying to figure out how to play my albums the same way from YT music but lost. Can anyone help?

As it stands now, you have to pay for the premium version to do that.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am
acegolfer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:23 am I have google home speakers. I can say "ok google, play beethoven no 3 symphony eroica" and it will play my uploaded album. (I don't pay anything.)

Any free alternative service? I can upload my entire albums.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

acegolfer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am

Any free alternative service? I can upload my entire albums.
Not that I know of that will let you start your music using your voice on a Google smart speaker.

There are alternatives where you can start the music on your phone and cast it to the speaker.
tdm757

Post by tdm757 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:06 am
Oddball wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:55 am This change has really pissed me off. We have 5 Home speakers + Chromecast Ultra to stream music throughout the house. We often use GPM to play music stations and it appears the switch to YouTube Music will take this away. We are a very Google focused house (Pixel phones, Project Fi phone service) but I didn't expect them to make us pay monthly for free streaming to speaker we had paid for.
+1. The good thing is they know there are a lot of angry people. Even some people that pay are angry as the YTM app/service is not as good (in their opinion). I read they have sent out surveys about YTM to some people.

I also use everything Google (4 speakers, 2 of which aren't the cheap ones), 3 Chromecasts, phone, Chromebook, etc. They do have a habit of pulling the rug out from under you. I used Inbox for my email for years and they pulled the plug on it. They have let Google Voice wither on the vine for years. Frankly, I'd rather pay for something great than be jerked around. It seems like they throw a lot of stuff at the wall and see what sticks rather than extensive market research.

Angry person that filled out a long survey. Longstanding paying premium member with google play balance to pay future monthly premiums. Thought it was a good idea to buy google play money at a discount to fund my google play music. Maybe not such a good idea. If I didn't like Youtube without ads, I probably would look elsewhere for a music service. I bought premium originally for the ad free music and unlimited selections. I don't understand why Youtube Music didn't import all the google music features like identifying songs playing on the radio. I don't know why they forced the switch so quickly. The survey was so long...lot of angry typing...hopefully will make a difference. Seams to shuffle the same 25 songs...I don't like it. I miss Songza.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I went to ask for a song from my library on my Google Speaker a few minutes ago and instead I got a radio station on YouTube Music and a blurb about how YTM was now my default for the speaker. This worked yesterday. I guess they shoving the transition along.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:03 pm There are alternatives where you can start the music on your phone and cast it to the speaker.
From my phone, I tried "ok google, play xxxx". (xxxx is my uploaded album) It says I need to pay for YT premium.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

acegolfer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:27 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:03 pm There are alternatives where you can start the music on your phone and cast it to the speaker.
From my phone, I tried "ok google, play xxxx". (xxxx is my uploaded album) It says I need to pay for YT premium.
Yes, you need an alternative service. I mentioned a few that work above.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:37 pm
Sorry I can't find your post mentioning the free service. Where is it? I will try "ok google, play xxxx" with it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

acegolfer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 pm
Sorry I can't find your post mentioning the free service. Where is it? I will try "ok google, play xxxx" with it.
I didn't look into that. I looked into services that will let me play music owned by me on my Google Speakers by casting. That means starting it on the phone (with key presses, not voice) and then hitting the cast button.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:06 pm
acegolfer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 pm
I didn't look into that. I looked into services that will let me play music owned by me on my Google Speakers by casting. That means starting it on the phone (with key presses, not voice) and then hitting the cast button.
I did some search. At this moment, there's no "free" service that can play "owned" music by "voice commands". Anyone correct me, if wrong.
batpot

Post by batpot »

acegolfer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm I did some search. At this moment, there's no "free" service that can play "owned" music by "voice commands". Anyone correct me, if wrong.
If you buy a Sonos speaker, it can be used with voice commands to queue up a library of your songs from your phone, or a home network.
They're spendy, but have excellent sound quality.

I don't know of any other services that can take advantage of the "google assistant" to use voice commands.
I also never use voice commands.
Kruser64

Post by Kruser64 »

batpot wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:28 pm I don't know of any other services that can take advantage of the "google assistant" to use voice commands.
I also never use voice commands.
I use Google Assistant to play owned songs (.mp3 files) on my phone. Not uploaded to any service. I use the Android App 'Rocket Player' but others will work too. "Hey Google, play artist Joe Walsh on Rocket Player". I also subscribe to Spotify and so I can also say "Hey Google, play artist Ozzy Osbourne on Spotify". So this is how I switch back and forth between locally owned and pure cloud subscription music. Phone is connected to speakers via Bluetooth or headphones. I'm not trying to run whole-home audio or speaker groups or anything like that. Also not trying to create playlists that include both locally owned and pure cloud songs. I just keep them separate. So I don't think this is quite the same as what the discussion is talking about, but just thought I would throw it out there.
effillus

RIP Google Play

Post by effillus »

[Merged into previous discussion -- mod oldcomputerguy]

Google has been warning that its music player app for Android, Google Play, would be decommissioned. Today, that happened for me, so the songs on my phone are no longer accessible. I have them backed up on my computer, so no loss, but I need to find another app for my phone so I can listen to my songs. Two questions: Can anyone make any suggestions for a repalcement? And: Google recommends replacing Play with Youtube Music, but I hesitate to do this because I fear it will use up my data, and I have limited data on my plan. Any thoughts there? Thanks.
froman118

Re: RIP Google Play

Post by froman118 »

Plex has a music library feature along with all the video stuff. You'd have to install Plex Server on your desktop/laptop and let it index all your files. After that you could use the Android/iOS app to do a sync over wi-fi onto your phone for local playback.

https://www.androidauthority.com/google ... ex-974354/
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

I use Pulsar to play music on my phone. There is a free versions, and a pay version called Pulsar+. I've used it for years, works for me. I have my music files stored on a microSD card on my phone.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I am using an app called PowerAmp as a music player, for locally stored .mp3 files, on my Samsung Android phone, and I find its user interface busy and confusing--but it works well. There are probably other choices, but PowerAmp is good enough that I haven't been tempted to evaluate others. I tried it, liked it, and willingly paid something like $5 to get the "full version."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Title is fairly misleading. Google Play is going nowhere, Google Music is shutting down.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I use VLC Media Player on my Android device and on my PC. It handles pretty much any media I throw at it and it isn't picky about where things are stored, so I have more sync options. It also has an equalizer and it's pretty easy to locate what I want to listen to at the time.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:18 pm Title is fairly misleading. Google Play is going nowhere, Google Music is shutting down.
I concur.
effillus

Post by effillus »

My bad: Title should say Google Play Music.
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

I use Maple Player JB since it also allows change in playback speed on downloaded books and podcasts.