More fun: drone or RC plane?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jastevenson

More fun: drone or RC plane?

Post by jastevenson »

Hi all,

My birthday is coming up and I thought it might be fun to buy myself a gift. I was thinking about an RC plane, but it seems like drones are more of a thing now? I know very little about either, but from what I’ve read a beginner model can be had for under $150.

Any thoughts on which would be more fun? I have had a lot more free time due to COVID and am looking for a fun diversion.

Thanks!
bampf

Re: More fun: drone or RC plane?

Post by bampf »

jastevenson wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:50 pm Hi all,

My birthday is coming up and I thought it might be fun to buy myself a gift. I was thinking about an RC plane, but it seems like drones are more of a thing now? I know very little about either, but from what I’ve read a beginner model can be had for under $150.

Any thoughts on which would be more fun? I have had a lot more free time due to COVID and am looking for a fun diversion.

Thanks!
I thought a drone would be lots of fun. Got one for $2K. Not so much. They are dangerous. They are expensive if you get a good one. They are boring if you get a good one. So, no I don't think a drone is worth much. I donated mine to the high school. $150 isn't enough to do anything except be bored very quickly. That being said, people love em and if you are that person, why the heck not?
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

My Dad, who is still living at 87, was a huge RC guy since he was a boy. I never got into it. He was pre drone, but he started with power RC planes and I suspect got bored with them. He moved on to RC gliders and that was his heyday. They would use winches to launch and search for thermals, sometimes staying up for hours—think sailing v. power boating or fly fishing to regular fishing. Later in life he switched to electric gliders where you power up and then switch off. Sadly he has eyesight issues and had to give it up. I think the drones would be fun, but based on my father might get old. Just two cents from someone who watched his dad do this stuff for over 50 years.
Balefire

Post by Balefire »

Huge former RC car guy.
Now mild drone hobbyist.

Completely different.
RC plane is flown by visual sight.
Drone is flown remote by camera on phone screen.
The drone is almost like a video game.
I got the DJI air for 800 and am happy.
Don't get anything less than a DJI mini.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

True story: I purchased a drone, the DJI Mavic Mini, to survey some property I own. I bought the upgraded kit (extra batteries, etc.) for around $500.

The very first time I took it out, the drone lost communication with my phone and shot straight up in the air. It was unresponsive to the controls on my phone app. It then proceeded to fly away at a fast clip. Not sure if the wind up that high carried it away or what. I followed it on foot and then by car, but it just sailed away. Never recovered it.

It most likely just ditched into a field somewhere miles away, but I can see how it could have caused a very dangerous situation to people/objects on the ground or even very low flying aircraft.

What happened to me is called a "Fly Away," and is well-known in the drone community. I have no idea if it was user error or if there was a malfunction. But in any case, I might as well have burned the $500.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

I own a DJI Spark (quad-drone) and about 20 RC planes. I rarely fly the Spark. In my opinion, the planes are much more fun to fly. And unless maybe you are flying a racing drone, the planes take more skill to fly well. My drone practically flies itself.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I'm a private pilot with the "Remote Pilot" (drone certificate). Whichever route you choose, please learn about local airspace, and how to communicate with local pilots. A couple weeks ago I was flying into a small airport. I announced my landing intentions 10 miles out. An individual immediately responded to my radio call and advised "Survey Crew with drone in the air, departure end of runway 24". They continued to provide position reports as requested, and confirmed when the drone was on the ground. They knew where I was at all times, confirming visual contact as soon as I entered the traffic pattern.

Note - That survey crew was accompanied by the local airport manager, instrument rated commercial pilot (single, multi-engine, taiiwheel), flight instructor, and A&P (airplane mechanic)
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

My take is that drones are for those who most enjoy the flying aspect, whereas RC encompasses aeronautics, design, and building in addition to the flying. My late husband was quite a devotee of RC, and published his own designs in several of the RC magazines.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

First I would check out if you can even fly one in you area : https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fl ... can_i_fly/

Start with a cheap $50 quad copter and learn how to manually control it. I have even enjoyed the micro quads you can fly indoors.

Just understand a lot of places now prohibit "drone" flying. I fly mine in my own back yard below tree tops, however if I am going to fly anywhere else, I have to contact multiple airports and heliports for clearance. Its a pain....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I have seen a lot of folks with Drones in business lately...we sold our FLorida home and the agent had a drone guy out taking all kinds of cool video and pics of the property. I see them a lot at football games also...we use a couple for shooting promo videos at the school...have never tried to fly one but they do look like they could be fun. My wife shot a drone down over our house a while back, it was buzzing our pool area and being a pain in the ass. The guy claimed it was 2500 when he called the police on her. Be careful where ya fly I guess.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

bampf wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 pm I thought a drone would be lots of fun. Got one for $2K. Not so much. They are dangerous. They are expensive if you get a good one. They are boring if you get a good one. So, no I don't think a drone is worth much. I donated mine to the high school. $150 isn't enough to do anything except be bored very quickly. That being said, people love em and if you are that person, why the heck not?
I think both in the category of things that a lot of people find fun for about 2 hours and then never touch again. A small subset of the population finds them to be long term fun. Normally I would suggest finding a friend with one or the other and try them out and see if you are hooked or not. That being said, I always thought at least half the fun of RC planes was building one where you spend hours gluing the thing together, sanding it down, and then putting on a fancy paint scheme.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

The fun of RC planes is you get to build the plane, like the old "Matel Models" at the corner drugstore for $1.25.
But, limited landing and takeoff areas, and noise from the gas engines. Also, they crash just like real planes with severe damage.
Controls need constant attention.
People like RC Planes because they are cool and have been around a long time.

Drone's, especially high end one's that return and land automatically when low on battery, can have camera's on them that add another dimension to fun. They can land and takeoff nearly anywhere. Learning curve doesn't have to involve severe crashes because it hovers so early flights can just be a few feet off the ground.
On high end models, the unit will just hover in place when the controls are released.
People are sometimes suspect of drones for many reasons and there are regulations where they can and cannot be used.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44 am The fun of RC planes is you get to build the plane, like the old "Matel Models" at the corner drugstore for $1.25.
But, limited landing and takeoff areas, and noise from the gas engines. Also, they crash just like real planes with severe damage.
Controls need constant attention.
People like RC Planes because they are cool and have been around a long time.

Drone's, especially high end one's that return and land automatically when low on battery, can have camera's on them that add another dimension to fun. They can land and takeoff nearly anywhere. Learning curve doesn't have to involve severe crashes because it hovers so early flights can just be a few feet off the ground.
On high end models, the unit will just hover in place when the controls are released.
People are sometimes suspect of drones for many reasons and there are regulations where they can and cannot be used.

j :D
There are also FAA requirements on how they must be flown (i.e. line of sight), a drone registration requirement and a required FAA Remote Pilot Certificate.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Maybe visit and hang out with an RC Club at a local RC park . Meet others and check out the toys.😃😃

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Does learning to fly RC planes give you any insight into flying "real" planes?

If so, I'd imagine that would be a point in its favor.
Stay on target...
Watty

Post by Watty »

Here is a a general map but many(most ?) local parks also have rules that prohibit drones.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

With very few exceptions you cannot fly a drone in state or national parks either.

I was given an inexpensive $50 drone a few years ago and I flew it a few times but it was unflyable if there was even a slight breeze so the times that I could actually fly it were very limited. When you are shopping for a drone be sure to research just what sort of wind you can fly it in.

I have a lot of large trees around my suburban house which is not good for flying drones and I can't fly it in my local parks so there were not enough interesting places for me to fly it so I lost interest in it.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

IMO You will enjoy flying drones if you like racing them or are into photography. Other than those two areas they are so autonomous it becomes boring quickly. RC planes will give you more hours of fun, and RC sailplanes will give you the most hours of fun. A good electric sailplane is a very good way to get into the hobby. I would also recommend trying to find a local RC Club to help you get started whichever way you decide to go. That can save you hours of frustration.

Disclaimer: I fly very high end RC sailplanes so I am kind of biased, however I started with drones. :happy
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 am I have seen a lot of folks with Drones in business lately...we sold our FLorida home and the agent had a drone guy out taking all kinds of cool video and pics of the property. I see them a lot at football games also...we use a couple for shooting promo videos at the school...have never tried to fly one but they do look like they could be fun. My wife shot a drone down over our house a while back, it was buzzing our pool area and being a pain in the ass. The guy claimed it was 2500 when he called the police on her. Be careful where ya fly I guess.
Please tell us more :mrgreen:
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Well my wife, kids and grandkids were all by our pool and the drone was flying over head and then started buzzing them. We live out in the middle of now where...Wife got in the gator and drove down to the road and by our gate was a guy with the controls, she told him to get our of there,,,he told her to do something naughty..she smiled and drove back up to the house...grabbed her shotgun and dispatched said drone with one shot. Kids thought it was cool as did the grand kids...the guy called the police who came to the house and asked her what she did...she told them, they laughed and told the kid at the gate to leave us alone. All in all my wife took care of someone trying to invade our space and threatened our safety.

We shoot skeet all the time and wife is very skilled with a shotgun. Over all the drone pilot made a bad call...100 feet up who cares...5 feet over our pool..yea...thats an issue scooter. It was a clean kill. We still laugh like hell about it...
batpot

Post by batpot »

OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 pm Well my wife, kids and grandkids were all by our pool and the drone was flying over head and then started buzzing them. We live out in the middle of now where...Wife got in the gator and drove down to the road and by our gate was a guy with the controls, she told him to get our of there,,,he told her to do something naughty..she smiled and drove back up to the house...grabbed her shotgun and dispatched said drone with one shot. Kids thought it was cool as did the grand kids...the guy called the police who came to the house and asked her what she did...she told them, they laughed and told the kid at the gate to leave us alone. All in all my wife took care of someone trying to invade our space and threatened our safety.

We shoot skeet all the time and wife is very skilled with a shotgun. Over all the drone pilot made a bad call...100 feet up who cares...5 feet over our pool..yea...thats an issue scooter. It was a clean kill. We still laugh like hell about it...
:sharebeer
Great story. Hopefully he never comes back.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I know nothing about either, except to say that watching the PGA Championship Tournament this past weekend, the drone camera coverage was wonderful.

I think that a good, smooth, drone camera operator will be the thing of the future for sports coverage. They're small, they can get close or move away quickly, and get angles and views like never before.

Also, I've seen drone coverage after a natural disaster, like a flood or a tornado. In the past, they've been just local hobbyists who sold their videos to local TV stations.

I think there might be emerging careers in TV coverage for good drone operators.

-B
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

I still fly RC planes from time to time. It is still fun but the rebuilding after a crash can be a drag if all you want to do is fly. I have often thought about RC helicopters but they are a bit pricey and tougher to fly. I've tried a small, inexpensive drone with a camera. It wasn't a big thrill to fly because it was too easy. Nevertheless, on my second time out some birds (sparrows I think) were dive bombing it. The drone ended up stuck permanently in a tree. End of drone.

For indoor fun:
There are tiny RC Helicopters that have coaxial blades. They are fairly stable and not expensive. More fun than a drone I think. Great with cats.

A quick and cheap entry into RC flying: RealFlight RC Flight Simulator. It uses an RC Transmitter-like user interface and you can fly planes and copters. Great for when the weather is bad. I don't like video games but this simulator is quite fun. Crashes are inexpensive, just reset and go again.

Or, if you have a powerful enough PC computer, X-Plane flight simulator is really something. It is a very realistic flight simulator based on actual flight physics that is good enough to have an FAA certified version. Really something to behold.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

RC Planes: fun, but be prepared to crash & fix that plane

Drones: Foolproof
WS1

Post by WS1 »

You can’t do this with an RC plane

https://thedroneracingleague.com/watch/
TimeMan

Post by TimeMan »

I've never flown an RC plane, was always too concerned with crashing. I bought 2 for my birthday this year in lockdown, the DJI Phantom 4 Pro +, and the Mavic Air 2. Hands down the Mavic is better and half price, I never fly the Phantom.

The Mavic is so much better in every way, including I can tuck it in a backpack if and when we get to travel by air again. I was flying a lot for work and the Phantom basically is an entire carry on.
rossiFan

Post by rossiFan »

Kennedy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:12 pm True story: I purchased a drone, the DJI Mavic Mini, to survey some property I own. I bought the upgraded kit (extra batteries, etc.) for around $500.

The very first time I took it out, the drone lost communication with my phone and shot straight up in the air. It was unresponsive to the controls on my phone app. It then proceeded to fly away at a fast clip. Not sure if the wind up that high carried it away or what. I followed it on foot and then by car, but it just sailed away. Never recovered it...

I have the exact same setup and haven't had any issues (yet)... fingers crossed!

For $500 the mavic mini kit is a pretty nice entry level setup. A single battery gives you almost 30 minutes in the air. I don't know if I'll ever go high-end on a drone but as time goes on they just keep getting better and better.

We're not far from the local airport so I have a phone app where I can quickly get FAA automated approval to fly up to 400ft altitude. The phone/drone combo knows if you don't have permission and it won't let you go above 100ft unless you have it.

It really helps if you live in an interesting area. We live in Southeast AK and our back deck overlooks a glacial river and we have rain-forest and mountains all around. I just got off of work (WFH) and stepped out onto the deck and got some video of some kayakers shooting the rapids. I can also do a short bike ride and then a moderate hike and then fly my drone over the glacier. So there's always something cool to try and capture on video. I'm not sure I'd use it much if I lived in a suburban jungle setting.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Drone = taking pictures

RC plane= flying it like an actual airplane, but from the outside.

In either case, these days you MUST get an FAA registration #, and be aware of the rules and where you are allowed to fly it. A full blown remote pilot license (Part 107) is only required for commercial operations. Pending FAA rules may eventually limit remote flying *only* to sanctioned hobby clubs, lots is changing in this landscape.

We always reccomend people interested in RC to find a club and talk to experienced folks. Building from balsa wood and gas engines are no longer the only option to get started..there are inexpensive prebuilt planes and battery electric power is viable..but it’s still quite a bit harder than drones and newcomers tend to have better luck when they get help.

Please do NOT go buy a high powered gas plane or jet and think you can just fly it without help... that will end badly. Seen it too many times. And don’t fly in public parks, schoolyards, etc. In most locales that’s been illegal for some time.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

batpot wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:00 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 pm Well my wife, kids and grandkids were all by our pool and the drone was flying over head and then started buzzing them. We live out in the middle of now where...Wife got in the gator and drove down to the road and by our gate was a guy with the controls, she told him to get our of there,,,he told her to do something naughty..she smiled and drove back up to the house...grabbed her shotgun and dispatched said drone with one shot. Kids thought it was cool as did the grand kids...the guy called the police who came to the house and asked her what she did...she told them, they laughed and told the kid at the gate to leave us alone. All in all my wife took care of someone trying to invade our space and threatened our safety.

:sharebeer
Great story. Hopefully he never comes back.
We kinda hope he does...LOL...gonna be a long fall I fear...
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

WS1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 pm You can’t do this with an RC plane

Nor can you do that with a $150 drone.

For $150, if you want to have fun, go with an RC plane. You will crash it at some point and be out of $150 FYI, but you will have fun. For $1000+, go drone.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 pm We shoot skeet all the time and wife is very skilled with a shotgun. Over all the drone pilot made a bad call...100 feet up who cares...5 feet over our pool..yea...thats an issue scooter. It was a clean kill. We still laugh like hell about it...
Would you still be laughing if your wife was serving 20 years in prison for federal crime she committed? Or if you just had to spend 10k to defend her? Heck what about if you just had to go to small claims court about destruction of property. I don't have a lot of sympathy for drones operators who are being rude but I am hesitant to recommend breaking the law and hoping you don't get prosecuted as a general life strategy ...
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I agree with the others that say find a club in your area. Check out the AMA site (www.modelaircraft.org). For fixed wing, unless you are in a very rural area and know somebody with acres of land, you're best off flying at a club. I haven't flown for quite a while, and you are correct that drones (usually taken to mean rotary aircraft) are the "thing". They bored me to tears, but what the guys in the club really liked was FPV, where you wear virtual reality goggles and fly as if you were in the aircraft. Then you can do things like racing through hoops and such. I also agree with others that inexpensive drones are toys and you'll get bored quickly, unless you have a semi-business or hobby like taking aerial photographs. We once stayed next to a resort where the owner's daughter created some astonishing aerial views of the resort with her drone.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

jibantik wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:09 pm
WS1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 pm You can’t do this with an RC plane

Nor can you do that with a $150 drone.

For $150, if you want to have fun, go with an RC plane. You will crash it at some point and be out of $150 FYI, but you will have fun. For $1000+, go drone.
Very few RC planes that can be had for only $150 either (assuming you are starting from scratch and need everything including the radio) ... at least ones that are not cheap junk.

There are some basic options where you can get in for 200-300 all up with a basic radio and batteries. Something like the E-Flite Apprentice ($349 ready to fly including radio, battery and charger) is about the bare minimum I recommend to new people who have a serious interest in the hobby and are looking for more than a backyard toy. If its something you find you like and you get involved with a club you will quickly move up. I trained my 9 year old on a plane like htis, now he flies a foam Extra 300, and in a few years he will likely be able to handle my large gas-powered aircraft which are expensive but ear to ear grin inducing stupid fun :mrgreen: .

Yes, 1k will get a pretty decent drone.. but in traditional RC (airplanes and helicopters) the sky is the limit and if you get serious 1k is barely out of the casual/beginner class ... you can easily spend few hundred... up to thousands.. even 10s of thousands.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

randomguy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:22 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 pm We shoot skeet all the time and wife is very skilled with a shotgun. Over all the drone pilot made a bad call...100 feet up who cares...5 feet over our pool..yea...thats an issue scooter. It was a clean kill. We still laugh like hell about it...
Would you still be laughing if your wife was serving 20 years in prison for federal crime she committed? Or if you just had to spend 10k to defend her? Heck what about if you just had to go to small claims court about destruction of property. I don't have a lot of sympathy for drones operators who are being rude but I am hesitant to recommend breaking the law and hoping you don't get prosecuted as a general life strategy ...
Well of course not...but...after the police watched the video of the whole thing they decided to bring the guy in that had owned the drone for questioning.We declined to press charges. Wife had gone down to gate and told him to get out of there...after he told he to...well...not nice...she went back and took care of the issue...suppose the drone had hit one of my kids or grandkids with its blades...he was 300 feet from the road and buzzing our house and pool. All was clear on the video and we had nice audio as well. I try not to break the law but defend my family...O hell yes...everyday of the week sir. Kids were inside and wife is well trained as to know whats in the line of the shot and whats legal. Next time maybe we should turn the dogs on him when he is on our gated, fenced, well signed and marked property. And yes we do still laugh about it. Wish you the best.