What price range for Daughter's first car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Compound
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Compound »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm Copy of consumer reports used car guide.
Low mileage used Honda something.
Low mileage used Toyota something.

Help her negotiate the purchase and car inspection to be sure she is not ripped off.
Coach how to select brands using reliability ratings on the "Consumer Reports Used Car Guide" and "CarFax".

It will be a fun learning experience with Dad.

This is what I did with one of my 2 sons.
Gave him "old Blue Betsy" (nuther thread) to go to high school with. He drove it all the way through college.

j :happy
Blue Betsy:
Image
OP — Like you, I don’t really get why people think you should purposefully avoid chiming in when your adult daughter asks for advice. Seems silly to just say “good luck” in this situation.

I really like Sandtrap’s advice to you and think it’s the way to go. Give her some suggested makes/models to go look at and test drive. Warn her of things to look out for (such as be sure to get a car inspection by a trusted mechanic). And stand back when the time is right and let her try to execute the plan as she sees best, but be there for continued coaching should she ask.
invest4
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by invest4 »

Agree with buying used all the way. The mentality is a great one which will serve her well in life. I did not spend more than 16k for a car until I was in my 40s at a much higher income.

I don’t know about everyone else, but when I look back at my early 20s, I am reminded at how little experience I had and so very grateful for any advice that was provided to aid my decision making (even if I didn’t take it...and in some cases learned I should have).

I sometimes wonder if my 70s self will look back with similar thoughts about my 40s (still so much to learn).
Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 23202
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Lightly used Honda CRV.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Trader Joe
Posts: 2088
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Trader Joe »

"What price range for Daughter's first car?"

No more than $4,000.
User avatar
Watty
Posts: 21331
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Watty »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:20 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:14 pmthere is no desire for me to get involved, she is asking for my advice. What's in the air tonight?
..and yes, I think a Ford would be a big mistake(apologies to the Ford owners, been there, never again)
I’m about the farthest thing from a Ford apologist there is, but the Escape is actually a pretty solid little CUV, with an amount of rear-seat legroom that borders on the absurd (41”). And if you’re looking at late-model used, Toyota/Honda is almost never the answer because they inexplicably cost basically the same as new ones.
I don't know anything about the Escape but when I have shopped for a used car I have usually found that the best deals are the less popular cars because you can get them at a good price even if they are in good condition and have low milage.

There are of course some dangerous or terrible cars like a Yugo that you would not want if even if they were free but at the right price I am sure that a good Escape would be a better choice than a much more expensive mediocre Honda or Toyota.
squirm
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by squirm »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:10 pm My D is 23, just started her career in the medical field a few months ago. She will be making around $80k.
She is currently driving a 2009 SUV owned by me. It's time for her to get her own wheels and insurance(she agrees).
She does not want the current SUV(Nissan Xterra), but would like a smaller SUV. Lives in the Northeast.
My advice would be to pay around $15k tops. This should get her a nice vehicle with fairly low miles.
thoughts?
Her older cousin just bought a $22k used vehicle(Cx-5) on a $60k salary. Too high IMO, and I hope my daughter doesn't feel the urge to "keep up with the Joneses" already. This will be a good test.
Sounds about right.
Anything Honda, Toyota will stand the test of time, just don't dwell on it, like some like to do.
manatee2005
Posts: 1437
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by manatee2005 »

Compound wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm Copy of consumer reports used car guide.
Low mileage used Honda something.
Low mileage used Toyota something.

Help her negotiate the purchase and car inspection to be sure she is not ripped off.
Coach how to select brands using reliability ratings on the "Consumer Reports Used Car Guide" and "CarFax".

It will be a fun learning experience with Dad.

This is what I did with one of my 2 sons.
Gave him "old Blue Betsy" (nuther thread) to go to high school with. He drove it all the way through college.

j :happy
Blue Betsy:
Image
OP — Like you, I don’t really get why people think you should purposefully avoid chiming in when your adult daughter asks for advice. Seems silly to just say “good luck” in this situation.

I really like Sandtrap’s advice to you and think it’s the way to go. Give her some suggested makes/models to go look at and test drive. Warn her of things to look out for (such as be sure to get a car inspection by a trusted mechanic). And stand back when the time is right and let her try to execute the plan as she sees best, but be there for continued coaching should she ask.
In the original post there’s never a mention of the daughter asking for advice. It immediately jumps into the OP giving advice.

When I read the post title I thought the daughter was 16.

That being said, I bought a new Mazda cx-5 in December for 27k out the door. The math of whether to buy a new or used car has changed a lot in the past 20 years.
User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2866
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Petrocelli »

I think $20k sounds about right. She should consider a Hyundai. Great cars fr the money. She could probably get a used one with low miles for $15,000.

My son has a Kona. Safe and lots of safety features. Reliable. Low cost. Solid build. Niveride.

With that said, I just got my 27 year old daughter a 2017 BMW 330i, so I don't practice what I preach, particularly when it involves my baby girl.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
tibbitts
Posts: 12526
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by tibbitts »

squirm wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:10 pm My D is 23, just started her career in the medical field a few months ago. She will be making around $80k.
She is currently driving a 2009 SUV owned by me. It's time for her to get her own wheels and insurance(she agrees).
She does not want the current SUV(Nissan Xterra), but would like a smaller SUV. Lives in the Northeast.
My advice would be to pay around $15k tops. This should get her a nice vehicle with fairly low miles.
thoughts?
Her older cousin just bought a $22k used vehicle(Cx-5) on a $60k salary. Too high IMO, and I hope my daughter doesn't feel the urge to "keep up with the Joneses" already. This will be a good test.
Sounds about right.
Anything Honda, Toyota will stand the test of time, just don't dwell on it, like some like to do.
The downside of the better-reputation brands like Honda and Toyota is that they hold their value better, and will be higher-priced in the used market as we're discussing here.
stoptothink
Posts: 8678
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by stoptothink »

invest4 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm Agree with buying used all the way. The mentality is a great one which will serve her well in life. I did not spend more than 16k for a car until I was in my 40s at a much higher income.

I don’t know about everyone else, but when I look back at my early 20s, I am reminded at how little experience I had and so very grateful for any advice that was provided to aid my decision making (even if I didn’t take it...and in some cases learned I should have).

I sometimes wonder if my 70s self will look back with similar thoughts about my 40s (still so much to learn).
At 20, with my first full-time job out of undergrad (to be fair, making only ~$45k/yr) I spent ~$20k on a new '00 Honda Civic Si. I did pay for half of it up front. What a nightmare; after the rims were stolen, then the stereo, then someone stealing the emblems and scratching it all up, it was completely stolen out of my work parking lot (thanks heavens). All within <9 months. I make nearly 3x more now (as does my wife), but the most I've spent on a car in the last 19yrs was ~$14k. Not sure my anecdote is relevant, but I'm glad I got that lesson out of the way early.
Helo80
Posts: 1909
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Helo80 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:40 pm
invest4 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm Agree with buying used all the way. The mentality is a great one which will serve her well in life. I did not spend more than 16k for a car until I was in my 40s at a much higher income.

I don’t know about everyone else, but when I look back at my early 20s, I am reminded at how little experience I had and so very grateful for any advice that was provided to aid my decision making (even if I didn’t take it...and in some cases learned I should have).

I sometimes wonder if my 70s self will look back with similar thoughts about my 40s (still so much to learn).
At 20, with my first full-time job out of undergrad (to be fair, making only ~$45k/yr) I spent ~$20k on a new '00 Honda Civic Si. I did pay for half of it up front. What a nightmare; after the rims were stolen, then the stereo, then someone stealing the emblems and scratching it all up, it was completely stolen out of my work parking lot (thanks heavens). All within <9 months. I make nearly 3x more now (as does my wife), but the most I've spent on a car in the last 19yrs was ~$14k. Not sure my anecdote is relevant, but I'm glad I got that lesson out of the way early.


Those civics were a wreck and still are, though a lot have been aged off as people moved on to newer stuff now.

It's what happens when you building something that will run for ever with cheap security. They go off to chop shop heaven...
stoptothink
Posts: 8678
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by stoptothink »

Helo80 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:43 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:40 pm
invest4 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm Agree with buying used all the way. The mentality is a great one which will serve her well in life. I did not spend more than 16k for a car until I was in my 40s at a much higher income.

I don’t know about everyone else, but when I look back at my early 20s, I am reminded at how little experience I had and so very grateful for any advice that was provided to aid my decision making (even if I didn’t take it...and in some cases learned I should have).

I sometimes wonder if my 70s self will look back with similar thoughts about my 40s (still so much to learn).
At 20, with my first full-time job out of undergrad (to be fair, making only ~$45k/yr) I spent ~$20k on a new '00 Honda Civic Si. I did pay for half of it up front. What a nightmare; after the rims were stolen, then the stereo, then someone stealing the emblems and scratching it all up, it was completely stolen out of my work parking lot (thanks heavens). All within <9 months. I make nearly 3x more now (as does my wife), but the most I've spent on a car in the last 19yrs was ~$14k. Not sure my anecdote is relevant, but I'm glad I got that lesson out of the way early.


Those civics were a wreck and still are, though a lot have been aged off as people moved on to newer stuff now.

It's what happens when you building something that will run for ever with cheap security. They go off to chop shop heaven...
"A wreck"? A '99-'00 civic si in good condition can sell for more now than it did when new. I saw a low mileage totally stock one sell for $26k recently. Fantastic car, just sad that the street racers liked it even more than I did.
oldfatguy
Posts: 714
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by oldfatguy »

New vs. used doesn't matter. Purchase price is only relevant as a factor of annualized cost. If you buy a new car and keep it for 15 years, then price/15 is your annualized cost. If you buy a used car, the price/(15-minus age of car) is your annualized purchase cost.
randomguy
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by randomguy »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:10 pm My D is 23, just started her career in the medical field a few months ago. She will be making around $80k.
She is currently driving a 2009 SUV owned by me. It's time for her to get her own wheels and insurance(she agrees).
She does not want the current SUV(Nissan Xterra), but would like a smaller SUV. Lives in the Northeast.
My advice would be to pay around $15k tops. This should get her a nice vehicle with fairly low miles.
thoughts?
Her older cousin just bought a $22k used vehicle(Cx-5) on a $60k salary. Too high IMO, and I hope my daughter doesn't feel the urge to "keep up with the Joneses" already. This will be a good test.
I would rather my daughter buy a 2018 CX5 for 22k than buy a 2013 BMW X3 for 15k.... Isn't if far more important for your daughter to get a good value instead of spending as little as possible? Spending 1/3rd of a. years of salary to get a car you can drive for 15-20 years isn't going to ruin anyone financially. Spending 7k less also isn't going to change their future in a noticeable way.
Helo80
Posts: 1909
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Helo80 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 pm "A wreck"? A '99-'00 civic si in good condition can sell for more now than it did when new. I saw a low mileage totally stock one sell for $26k recently. Fantastic car, just sad that the street racers liked it even more than I did.
Yeah, the wreck of ownership and having to fear it being stolen if left in bad parts of town and/or unattended overnight.

The cars are mechanically sound and good for what they are. But, they attract the wrong crowd. The Accords from that era are the same way. Like you said, you had rims, a stereo, the Honda badge, and eventual car stolen from right under you.

https://insurify.com/insights/updated-2 ... n-america/

1. Honda Civic

Number of thefts: 38,426
Model year most stolen: 2000 (5,290 thefts)
Thefts per 1,000: 5
stoptothink
Posts: 8678
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by stoptothink »

Helo80 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 pm "A wreck"? A '99-'00 civic si in good condition can sell for more now than it did when new. I saw a low mileage totally stock one sell for $26k recently. Fantastic car, just sad that the street racers liked it even more than I did.
Yeah, the wreck of ownership and having to fear it being stolen if left in bad parts of town and/or unattended overnight.

The cars are mechanically sound and good for what they are. But, they attract the wrong crowd. The Accords from that era are the same way. Like you said, you had rims, a stereo, the Honda badge, and eventual car stolen from right under you.

https://insurify.com/insights/updated-2 ... n-america/

1. Honda Civic

Number of thefts: 38,426
Model year most stolen: 2000 (5,290 thefts)
Thefts per 1,000: 5
Oh, from that standpoint, absolutely. BTW, the rims and then the entire car (3-4 months later) were stolen out of the gated and patrolled parking lot of my employer. There was video of a member of security helping someone take the wheels (likely let them in as well). Found out shortly after that a few members of the company security were involved in a car theft ring. Not much better with the stereo, someone broke into my garage to steal it. Got really old being scared about parking a $20k economy car.
User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 5819
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by FIREchief »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:20 pm And if you’re looking at late-model used, Toyota/Honda is almost never the answer because they inexplicably cost basically the same as new ones.
There's a reason for that. Which argues to just buy a new Toyota/Honda and keep it forever.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 5819
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by FIREchief »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm wow, opinions are all over the place from new car is fine to she should wait 2 years. I was expecting more of a consensus to be honest.
I'm guessing part of the reason for no consensus is because there is no obvious right answer. I think it is great that she has asked your opinion and I also think it is great that rather than just give her a quick off-the-cuff answer, you're asking a population of (mostly) frugal, financially responsible folks. At her age, income and (assuming) relative lack of other major financial responsibilities, she can likely afford to spend a bit more to buy a new (reasonable) car. Several have been mentioned, and I haven't seen anybody argue against a Toyota, Honda or Subaru. Those are all very "safe" options, and I'm not just talking about bodily safety. I've owned a lot of different cars in my life, foreign and domestic, sporty and utilitarian, etc. That has taught me a lot about what is important in a vehicle and what is not. My last five purchases have been new Toyotas, and I doubt that will change any time soon.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
squirm
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by squirm »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:11 pm
squirm wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:10 pm My D is 23, just started her career in the medical field a few months ago. She will be making around $80k.
She is currently driving a 2009 SUV owned by me. It's time for her to get her own wheels and insurance(she agrees).
She does not want the current SUV(Nissan Xterra), but would like a smaller SUV. Lives in the Northeast.
My advice would be to pay around $15k tops. This should get her a nice vehicle with fairly low miles.
thoughts?
Her older cousin just bought a $22k used vehicle(Cx-5) on a $60k salary. Too high IMO, and I hope my daughter doesn't feel the urge to "keep up with the Joneses" already. This will be a good test.
Sounds about right.
Anything Honda, Toyota will stand the test of time, just don't dwell on it, like some like to do.
The downside of the better-reputation brands like Honda and Toyota is that they hold their value better, and will be higher-priced in the used market as we're discussing here.
Agree, the market speaks by pricing it accordingly.
If someone has nothing to do all day but wants to tinker on a car, then get a jalopy. If someone doesn't want to deal with headaches and wants reliability, focus on Honda/Toyota.
Valuethinker
Posts: 41710
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Valuethinker »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:10 pm My D is 23, just started her career in the medical field a few months ago. She will be making around $80k.
She is currently driving a 2009 SUV owned by me. It's time for her to get her own wheels and insurance(she agrees).
She does not want the current SUV(Nissan Xterra), but would like a smaller SUV. Lives in the Northeast.
My advice would be to pay around $15k tops. This should get her a nice vehicle with fairly low miles.
thoughts?
Her older cousin just bought a $22k used vehicle(Cx-5) on a $60k salary. Too high IMO, and I hope my daughter doesn't feel the urge to "keep up with the Joneses" already. This will be a good test.
Safety and reliability above all else.

Pay up for a good used car.

It is worth it in piece of mind.
Valuethinker
Posts: 41710
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Valuethinker »

Petrocelli wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:09 pm I think $20k sounds about right. She should consider a Hyundai. Great cars fr the money. She could probably get a used one with low miles for $15,000.

My son has a Kona. Safe and lots of safety features. Reliable. Low cost. Solid build. Niveride.

With that said, I just got my 27 year old daughter a 2017 BMW 330i, so I don't practice what I preach, particularly when it involves my baby girl.
Nice to see you posting ;-)

BMWs probably last better in SoCal than the North East? They are just money pits in a winter driving climate. Cost of repair is very high. Theres a reason they depreciate so fast.

One of my brothers replaced his X3 w a Subaru. The bills in years 8 to 10 just got vicious.
jerkstore
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by jerkstore »

Another vote for encouraging her to make her own decision. It's her money, she's an adult...real job, pays real taxes, will have real debt obligation.

Just because she asks for your input doesn't mean you should give it, it means that it's welcomed, but not necessarily what's best for her.

I don't have a daughter, maybe it's harder to step back with a daughter...but still I'm a strong vote for step back dad.
halfnine
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by halfnine »

jerkstore wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 am Another vote for encouraging her to make her own decision. It's her money, she's an adult...real job, pays real taxes, will have real debt obligation.

Just because she asks for your input doesn't mean you should give it, it means that it's welcomed, but not necessarily what's best for her.

I don't have a daughter, maybe it's harder to step back with a daughter...but still I'm a strong vote for step back dad.
Maybe that's how we should answer all threads here on Bogleheads when people ask for advice. After all, how else are they going to learn with their money :oops:

To the OP, my advice is to just be honest. Tell her you don't necessarily know the answer but will ask on a forum that has people that tend to give good advice and let her know if there is any consensus. Then let her do what she wishes with that advice.
VoiceOfReason
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by VoiceOfReason »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:41 pm
tibbitts wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm wow, opinions are all over the place from new car is fine to she should wait 2 years. I was expecting more of a consensus to be honest.
If the consensus was that she should be fine spending $22k+, would that change your opinion and recommendation to her?

Maybe I missed it but did you address the question of whether just keeping the car she has now is even an option?
yes, it probably would. Keeping current Xterra not an option, I'm selling it. She needs to have her own vehicle with her own insurance.
All of that can be accomplished very easily by selling her the Nissan. Or you could just give her the car, unless you need the $4k.

It’s confusing how you suggest this is not an option. Is there something wrong with the car?
User avatar
wander
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by wander »

I would let her decide which car she wants to drive. With good income, she is allowed to make any mistake and still has plenty of time to correct it. :D Heck, at 25 year old, I was still in college and worked fulltime making less than half of her salary.
smitcat
Posts: 6947
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by smitcat »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:57 pm
gr7070 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:54 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:20 pm
smitcat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:41 pm "thoughts" - at this age it is really time for her to do what she wants and make the decisions.
I knew I might get a response like this. My response is.,,my kids will never be too old for their father to offer his advice.
They can take it or leave it..
While I appreciate that sentiment and wouldn't suggest you stand idly by while they make a terrible or harmful decision, you could possibly benefit them a whole lot more and further reaching than this purchase if you abstain from advising here.

As I said above you know they're not going to make a terrible decision.

The older they become the less involved in some things you should be. How much to spend on an almost certainly, already reasonable car purchase sounds like a great item to back away from - show your support, by actually providing less.
but she is asking for my advice. You are suggesting I should just say.."get whatever you want"
We are in the same location and our daughter is just a few years older and was in a similar situation and even likely in a similar field.
She asked us our opinion on her next car and we gave her some actions that she could do:
- visited various dealerships to look at cars with her
- she looked up a friend that gave her examples of repair costs between types
- visited insurance and received relative costs for a few
- reviewed her financial position and helped her compare numbers
When asked we provide answers and guidance that allows her to become more knowledgable about her choices.
Topic Author
theplayer11
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by theplayer11 »

jerkstore wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 am Another vote for encouraging her to make her own decision. It's her money, she's an adult...real job, pays real taxes, will have real debt obligation.

Just because she asks for your input doesn't mean you should give it, it means that it's welcomed, but not necessarily what's best for her.

I don't have a daughter, maybe it's harder to step back with a daughter...but still I'm a strong vote for step back dad.
Daughter - "hey dad, I really would like your opinion on what my first car purchase should be...new?, used?..and how much do you think I should spend?"

Me - "sorry honey, I think it's best for you to figure it out yourself."

sorry, that just sounds crazy to me.
Topic Author
theplayer11
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by theplayer11 »

VoiceOfReason wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:30 am
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:41 pm
tibbitts wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm wow, opinions are all over the place from new car is fine to she should wait 2 years. I was expecting more of a consensus to be honest.
If the consensus was that she should be fine spending $22k+, would that change your opinion and recommendation to her?

Maybe I missed it but did you address the question of whether just keeping the car she has now is even an option?
yes, it probably would. Keeping current Xterra not an option, I'm selling it. She needs to have her own vehicle with her own insurance.
All of that can be accomplished very easily by selling her the Nissan. Or you could just give her the car, unless you need the $4k.

It’s confusing how you suggest this is not an option. Is there something wrong with the car?
She wants something a bit smaller, the Xterra is quite large. She wants to start fresh with her own vehicle.
User avatar
Taz
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Florida

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Taz »

Daughter (22) decided on a 2020 Hyundai Kona AWD. $21k. Good safety features standard unlike Honda and Toyota. Solid warranty. She paid half and is financing the rest through the Bank of Dad.

She moved out of state so I worry less with a new car.
The destination matters.
Domadosolo
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:53 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Domadosolo »

Safety would be my first consideration, and $15K seems a bit low, for good safety considerations.
Plan on approx $20K for low miles and safe. Probably $25K if new.
Loan payment+Insurance = affordability should be the consideration, and a great way to build up a good credit history.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 11609
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Son recently bought a lightly used Prius (don’t know year) from Carvana. He asked my opinion; I agreed with choice. He and his GF have been using it to travel the East Coast doing Work From Wherever. Works well for them. Cost somewhere around $15k.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
earlywynnfan
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by earlywynnfan »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 am
jerkstore wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 am Another vote for encouraging her to make her own decision. It's her money, she's an adult...real job, pays real taxes, will have real debt obligation.

Just because she asks for your input doesn't mean you should give it, it means that it's welcomed, but not necessarily what's best for her.

I don't have a daughter, maybe it's harder to step back with a daughter...but still I'm a strong vote for step back dad.
Daughter - "hey dad, I really would like your opinion on what my first car purchase should be...new?, used?..and how much do you think I should spend?"

Me - "sorry honey, I think it's best for you to figure it out yourself."

sorry, that just sounds crazy to me.
I agree. Early 20's, brand new job with probably a high learning curve, possibly looking at a new living situation, new friends, maybe some significant other in her life or on the horizon. Probably first time with "adult cash" in pocket. How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you? I would love to know how many on this forum had parents whose advice was "look it up yourself, I don't care how big a decision it is."

If you tell her to do it on her own, aren't the chances high she'll just buy the cute car her friend has? Or ask advice from some meathead guy she's dating or knew in college?

And I'm surprised nobody has seriously mentioned the style and fit of the car. Come on, BH, there's a reason we don't all have Accords and Camrys! Start by having her note a few styles on the road that she'd actually want to see in her driveway for 10 years, then go from there. One of my daughters has a civic, one the HR-V, and neither would trade for anything. Isn't that important, too?
jerkstore
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by jerkstore »

earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am
theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 am
jerkstore wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 am Another vote for encouraging her to make her own decision. It's her money, she's an adult...real job, pays real taxes, will have real debt obligation.

Just because she asks for your input doesn't mean you should give it, it means that it's welcomed, but not necessarily what's best for her.

I don't have a daughter, maybe it's harder to step back with a daughter...but still I'm a strong vote for step back dad.
Daughter - "hey dad, I really would like your opinion on what my first car purchase should be...new?, used?..and how much do you think I should spend?"

Me - "sorry honey, I think it's best for you to figure it out yourself."

sorry, that just sounds crazy to me.
I agree. Early 20's, brand new job with probably a high learning curve, possibly looking at a new living situation, new friends, maybe some significant other in her life or on the horizon. Probably first time with "adult cash" in pocket. How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you? I would love to know how many on this forum had parents whose advice was "look it up yourself, I don't care how big a decision it is."

If you tell her to do it on her own, aren't the chances high she'll just buy the cute car her friend has? Or ask advice from some meathead guy she's dating or knew in college?

And I'm surprised nobody has seriously mentioned the style and fit of the car. Come on, BH, there's a reason we don't all have Accords and Camrys! Start by having her note a few styles on the road that she'd actually want to see in her driveway for 10 years, then go from there. One of my daughters has a civic, one the HR-V, and neither would trade for anything. Isn't that important, too?
OP:
I have no issue that you(and others) think it "sounds crazy", and I'll write that off as different parenting philosophy...shrug...we are each entitled. Admittedly I have 3 sons, and no daughters, perhaps I'm missing something. However, I'll consider my job done as a parent when my sons freely make their own decisions as adults, including mistakes, and live by them with integrity. That's life.

Please also note, that it sounds crazy to me when adults parent adults.

earlywynnfan:
I was going to let this go and write if off as "differing parental philosophy," but this comment smacks of a low view of a young women you don't know. I hope my sons don't assume this about young women they don't know.

Furthermore, car research has never been easier...and one can research and transact a new or used car will relative ease today.

I had purchased 2 used cars (and sold them) and then purchased a used truck before I graduated high school without any parental input....had no idea I was such a special person :)
mak1277
Posts: 1729
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by mak1277 »

earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
OldBallCoach
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by OldBallCoach »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm wow, opinions are all over the place from new car is fine to she should wait 2 years. I was expecting more of a consensus to be honest.
Dont worry I got ya brother...You need to find her the best used Camary or Corolla for 10K that would can find. Get Nokian all season tires on it and boom she is set. That car should last another 5 years easy and then she can save up and buy whatever she wants. I am guessing at 80K she is an RN and she will have no worries in that job. I would sell your Xterra and start her on building up her emergency fund stat. Been there done that a few times. By the way, great job on raising a good kid, its not easy.
tibbitts
Posts: 12526
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by tibbitts »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
I don't see a problem with asking for advice on a forum, although it might have been a good opportunity for the OP to introduce his daughter to Bogleheads so she could ask for herself.

However I did express concern about the Ford issue because as I pointed out, if you have an issue with a specific model (whether Ford with the crazy water pumps, or Honda with oil dilution) that's one thing, but an indictment of the entire manufacturer without evidence (or only anecdotal evidence) isn't going to help the OP's credibility going forward.
Mr.Chlorine
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:17 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

What are the daughter's finances like? Since this is her first adult job I assume savings and retirement accounts are on the low end. I would challenge her to save as much as she can for a year. Then, after retirement accounts and emergency funds are filled, spend whatever is left in the budget on the car. Could be $20k.

FWIW: I am a couple years older than your daughter and make around the same. Next spring I plan selling the vehicle I drove during college and upgrading to something around $30k-35k. I am ok spending that much because I prioritized retirement and savings accounts first.

Bottom line: any vehicle that requires a loan is not a great idea. Especially when her generous father has a perfectly fine vehicle for her.
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 5591
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Just a few notes:
1. It is entirely possible to buy new cars exclusively, and not end up sleeping under bridges in retirement.

2. It is entirely possible to finance said cars and not end up sleeping under bridges in retirement. Especially today, with interest rates being what they are.

3. It is entirely possible for those starting out to purchase their new cars themselves, with no parental help, other than perhaps, "Are you really sure you want to buy that Xterra? How about that Altima instead?"

Me, my preference would be for a daughter or son to buy as safe a car as was possible. A car a couple of years old might be loaded with all the current safety devices. If not, I would hope they would move up to get the safety features. But, at the end of the day, it is their money and their choice.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 6862
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Kenkat »

I always try to let my kids make little mistakes but avoid big mistakes when giving advice, especially when they ask, but for big mistakes, maybe even when they don’t.

I think the car question mostly falls in the little mistake category - so you can give advice, but it’s more on the advising side. She’s likely to end up with a decent car regardless, so it is optimizing the decision vs. going down a path where there’s no recovery from a sub-optimal decision.

I think your $15k gut is certainly reasonable and you can absolutely buy a decent used car / small CUV in that range. So, I’d just say that, tell her of course she could spend more, buy new, etc. but this is what you would probably do.

For what to buy, make a short list of her and your vehicles. If she wants to put a Ford Escape on the list, let her. You can say you probably would avoid that model due to prior bad experience, but put it on the list.

Then - test drive some of the cars on the list. I see people all the time who ask “what car should I buy?” without having actually driving one. If she falls in love with a Ford Escape, it’s not the end of the world. Mistake? Maybe, but maybe not - and a small one at that. If she drives a Honda CR-v and says, hey for an extra $$$, I can get this instead, fine.

Advise as the valued consultant but let the decision ultimately rest with her.
oscarsonthepond
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:45 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by oscarsonthepond »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 am Daughter - "hey dad, I really would like your opinion on what my first car purchase should be...new?, used?..and how much do you think I should spend?"

Me - "sorry honey, I think it's best for you to figure it out yourself."

sorry, that just sounds crazy to me.
Couldn’t agree more. The suggestion from several folks that you should refuse to give her advice is bizarre to me. I’m a well functioning adult who is completely independent of my parents now, but when I was in my early twenties *of course* it was helpful to get their guidance, input, and advice on big decisions like this - especially when I sought it out. The notion that your daughter will somehow be less independent long-term just because you’re willing to give your opinion when she asks for it as part of her car buying decision is simply incorrect.
randomguy
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by randomguy »

oscarsonthepond wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:28 am
theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 am Daughter - "hey dad, I really would like your opinion on what my first car purchase should be...new?, used?..and how much do you think I should spend?"

Me - "sorry honey, I think it's best for you to figure it out yourself."

sorry, that just sounds crazy to me.
Couldn’t agree more. The suggestion from several folks that you should refuse to give her advice is bizarre to me. I’m a well functioning adult who is completely independent of my parents now, but when I was in my early twenties *of course* it was helpful to get their guidance, input, and advice on big decisions like this - especially when I sought it out. The notion that your daughter will somehow be less independent long-term just because you’re willing to give your opinion when she asks for it as part of her car buying decision is simply incorrect.
There is a vast difference between giving advice and saying specific things spending more than 15k on a car is foolish. This is the time to teach the kid how to evaluate a purchase and make a choice. Show them the math on the cost difference between a 20k BMW and a 20k civic over the next 5 years. Show them the cost difference between a 20k new car and a 15k used car when you factor in the added 2 or 3 years of lifespan. Go with the kid to a couple dealers and do some test drives (and you don't really talk. You are there for moral support. And to make sure they don't sign anything). And then when they ask you about their choice, if it is remotely reasonable (i.e. they aren't buying a 2000 Mercedes S-Class ), you say that is reasonable and let them make it.

A reasonable range for a car would be something like 5k-40k depending on her needs (i.e. if it breaks down is it a big deal or a little one. Is she driving 2 miles/day in the city or 50 miles day in suburbia,....), exact financial situation (rent, student loans, clothes,....), and so on.
mak1277
Posts: 1729
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by mak1277 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 am
mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
I don't see a problem with asking for advice on a forum, although it might have been a good opportunity for the OP to introduce his daughter to Bogleheads so she could ask for herself.

However I did express concern about the Ford issue because as I pointed out, if you have an issue with a specific model (whether Ford with the crazy water pumps, or Honda with oil dilution) that's one thing, but an indictment of the entire manufacturer without evidence (or only anecdotal evidence) isn't going to help the OP's credibility going forward.
I don't see a huge problem asking a forum for advice either. I just thought it was ironic that earlywynnfan (great name btw) suggested that going online to do research wasn't as good as asking dad...when in fact dad was online asking for advice himself.
JackoC
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by JackoC »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 am Daughter - "hey dad, I really would like your opinion on what my first car purchase should be...new?, used?..and how much do you think I should spend?"

Me - "sorry honey, I think it's best for you to figure it out yourself."

sorry, that just sounds crazy to me.
Refuse to give advice, I agree that seems overboard when stated like that. But like others it took me awhile to be clear (not sure if it's ever been stated outright) the daughter will cover 100% of the cost. And if someone were to express surprise/outrage that a parent would kick in money and 'ruin the kid's independence', well then one might see reasonably extending the same mentality to the parent limiting how involved they get in the decision if it's not their money. Like specific strong ideas about what % of income, etc. Though not 'refuse to talk about it'.

Our daughter, in 20's, is independent and financially responsible but does not make as much money as OP's, in a service/non-profit type career, and needed a car. So we bought her one. And once we were buying it had to be substantial size/weight for safety, latest safety features and max reliability against being stuck on the road alone, therefore new, around $30k. It's expected to be kept a long time. Again just relatively, I'd have had a less firm opinion if I'd decided I shouldn't pay anything.
Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by Flyer24 »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:19 am I always try to let my kids make little mistakes but avoid big mistakes when giving advice, especially when they ask, but for big mistakes, maybe even when they don’t.

I think the car question mostly falls in the little mistake category - so you can give advice, but it’s more on the advising side. She’s likely to end up with a decent car regardless, so it is optimizing the decision vs. going down a path where there’s no recovery from a sub-optimal decision.

I think your $15k gut is certainly reasonable and you can absolutely buy a decent used car / small CUV in that range. So, I’d just say that, tell her of course she could spend more, buy new, etc. but this is what you would probably do.

For what to buy, make a short list of her and your vehicles. If she wants to put a Ford Escape on the list, let her. You can say you probably would avoid that model due to prior bad experience, but put it on the list.

Then - test drive some of the cars on the list. I see people all the time who ask “what car should I buy?” without having actually driving one. If she falls in love with a Ford Escape, it’s not the end of the world. Mistake? Maybe, but maybe not - and a small one at that. If she drives a Honda CR-v and says, hey for an extra $$$, I can get this instead, fine.

Advise as the valued consultant but let the decision ultimately rest with her.
I am in the most agreement with this advice. It is great that she has asked for your advice. Be her guide, help her with some choices, and ultimately let her make the decision. She will learn some mistakes as she goes. We all did at the age. She sounds like a smart girl.
Topic Author
theplayer11
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by theplayer11 »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
really? So BH is not a good place to get opinions from some pretty darn smart people? BH has helped me immensely, of course I trust opinions here. If dad's advice has come from a BH consensus, I would say that would be some darn good advice.
Topic Author
theplayer11
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by theplayer11 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 am
mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
I don't see a problem with asking for advice on a forum, although it might have been a good opportunity for the OP to introduce his daughter to Bogleheads so she could ask for herself.

However I did express concern about the Ford issue because as I pointed out, if you have an issue with a specific model (whether Ford with the crazy water pumps, or Honda with oil dilution) that's one thing, but an indictment of the entire manufacturer without evidence (or only anecdotal evidence) isn't going to help the OP's credibility going forward.
I told her she should stick to a Japanese manufacturer. I also owned an Escape and had lots of problems..yes anecdotal, but it is what it is. I currently have a CX-5 and love it, as does she. A 2017 might be a great choice for her.
smitcat
Posts: 6947
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by smitcat »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:05 am
tibbitts wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 am
mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
I don't see a problem with asking for advice on a forum, although it might have been a good opportunity for the OP to introduce his daughter to Bogleheads so she could ask for herself.

However I did express concern about the Ford issue because as I pointed out, if you have an issue with a specific model (whether Ford with the crazy water pumps, or Honda with oil dilution) that's one thing, but an indictment of the entire manufacturer without evidence (or only anecdotal evidence) isn't going to help the OP's credibility going forward.
I told her she should stick to a Japanese manufacturer. I also owned an Escape and had lots of problems..yes anecdotal, but it is what it is. I currently have a CX-5 and love it, as does she. A 2017 might be a great choice for her.
"I also owned an Escape and had lots of problems"
What year was your Ford Escape?
mak1277
Posts: 1729
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by mak1277 »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:00 am
mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
really? So BH is not a good place to get opinions from some pretty darn smart people? BH has helped me immensely, of course I trust opinions here. If dad's advice has come from a BH consensus, I would say that would be some darn good advice.
But if it has to come from BH consensus, asking dad was useless. She could've done the research herself online and gotten the same outcome as you did (minus the anecdotal bias against Ford Escapes).
smitcat
Posts: 6947
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by smitcat »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:31 am
theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:00 am
mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
really? So BH is not a good place to get opinions from some pretty darn smart people? BH has helped me immensely, of course I trust opinions here. If dad's advice has come from a BH consensus, I would say that would be some darn good advice.
But if it has to come from BH consensus, asking dad was useless. She could've done the research herself online and gotten the same outcome as you did (minus the anecdotal bias against Ford Escapes).
"She could've done the research herself online and gotten the same outcome as you did"
Alternately Dad could have helped in how to do the research leaving DD with a skill that could be utilized well into the future.
Topic Author
theplayer11
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What price range for Daughter's first car?

Post by theplayer11 »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:31 am
theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:00 am
mak1277 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am
earlywynnfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am How many people are going to delve into car research? And really, while there are some smarter choices than others, how much can online research tell you about which car is best for you?

I don't know the OP, but I would argue that 20 minutes of online car research is probably going to tell you more than asking literally one single person (in this case, dad). OP has already demonstrated an anecdotal bias against Ford, for example, without any basis in fact related to the mentioned model.

Edit to add - Can the daughter really trust dad's opinion, when apparently he has to ask BH for advice himself?
really? So BH is not a good place to get opinions from some pretty darn smart people? BH has helped me immensely, of course I trust opinions here. If dad's advice has come from a BH consensus, I would say that would be some darn good advice.
But if it has to come from BH consensus, asking dad was useless. She could've done the research herself online and gotten the same outcome as you did (minus the anecdotal bias against Ford Escapes).
actually no, she wouldn't have come to BHs. Not sure why you are being so obstinate.
Last edited by theplayer11 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply