Herman Miller Aeron chair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chenzi

Re: Herman Miller Aeron chair

Post by chenzi »

I bought an Aeron Chair just after the covid lockdown. My spouse loved it so much that she took it!
I have ordered an Herman Miller Embody and waiting for it to be shipped
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/h ... lang=en_US
bligh

Post by bligh »

I bought my Herman Miller Aeron about 10-12 years ago and it is still going strong to this day. Will easily last me me the rest of my professional career. I bought it when I started getting back aches and shoulder pains. I go top of the line when it goes to ergonomics and it has made an enormous difference to my life.

When my wife started working from home earlier this year (due to covid) she was using a regular chair, and a month in she started to get shoulder pain. I bit the bullet and got her a Herman Miller Aeron as well, and 4 months in she has zero issues and will likely never go back to a regular office chair again.

In my case atleast, the chair has definitely been worthy of the hype.

I will add that, if ergonomics are important to you, you should also get a standing desk for yourself. Get into the habit of doing emails, taking breaks or taking conference calls while standing up. When working from home, you get fewer reasons to get up and walk around.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

aiyuanuc wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm It seems that many here think $500 for a 10-yo used one is more worthwhile than $800 (including tax) for a brand new remastered Aeron......

No offense, but it got me curious about the math.

Say a decent 10 yo Aeron costs you $500 and will serve you 10 more years. So you are willing to spend $50 a year to sit on a used chair.
Now, for the brand new one, if you sit on it for 20 years, the annual cost is $40, and you get 1. all new features, 2. 12-year warranty, and all the whistles and bells of a brand new Aeron.

What am I missing here?
You are missing that for $450 you can buy a new scratch & dent version...
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:19 pm If you’re sitting in it 8 hours a day, having a good quality, adjustable chair is important, and you’ll want to get something that’s in this price range. The Aeron, though. We all had them at one place I worked. A lot of people really liked it, but a bunch of us found that the frame on the seat dug into the backs of our thighs and was really uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn’t put out big bucks on an Aeron, or frankly, any chair in this price range, without trying one first. If you’re spending this kind of money, it’s worth driving for a couple of hours to try them out.

There are other chairs that are a lot more comfortable without being so hit or miss. One I had at another job that seemed to be more universally liked is the Herman Miller Celle.

I got rid of my Aeron because the seat frame was cutting off circulation in the back of my leg and casing pain.There is alot of information on the intergooglewebnet about this known issue for some users of the Aeron chair.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

aiyuanuc wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm It seems that many here think $500 for a 10-yo used one is more worthwhile than $800 (including tax) for a brand new remastered Aeron......

Say a decent 10 yo Aeron costs you $500 and will serve you 10 more years. So you are willing to spend $50 a year to sit on a used chair.
Now, for the brand new one, if you sit on it for 20 years, the annual cost is $40, and you get 1. all new features, 2. 12-year warranty, and all the whistles and bells of a brand new Aeron.

What am I missing here?
Where is that $800 including tax brand new Aeron?!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

onourway wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 pm I find it hilarious that people are concerned about the price of a chair they will spend tens of thousands of hours sitting in...
Based on this, the standard advice to buy a Corolla, which is both uncomfortable and unsafe, is completely crazy. :mrgreen:
Anyway, working from home I sit in the same chair probably less than before. I work also on the deck, in a coffee shop, on a couch, in the bed,on a beach chair, on the grass and in my car in the park when I wait for my kid.
Unfortunately I also sit in weirder positions than I used to at work (legs on the desk legs under me etc).
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I put this on my deskchair now and like it a lot.

TravelMate Extra-Large Memory Foam Seat Cushion – Perfect for Office Chair and Wheelchair – Does Not Slip Even on Smooth Marble Floors – Washable & Breathable Cover – Relieves Back Pain – 19”x17”x3”

It's on Amazon and other places.

https://www.amazon.com/TravelMate-Extra ... MHYZ1Z2ZBZ
bligh

Post by bligh »

Starfish wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:25 pm
onourway wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 pm I find it hilarious that people are concerned about the price of a chair they will spend tens of thousands of hours sitting in...
Based on this, the standard advice to buy a Corolla, which is both uncomfortable and unsafe, is completely crazy. :mrgreen:
Well it depends on how long you spend driving that Corolla. Most cars are just sitting parked for the majority of the day. If you spent 8 hours a day, (or almost half your waking hours driving in that car) making your living, and were getting back and shoulder pains from sitting in that Corolla, then I doubt many here would still counsel you against getting a nice luxury car provided you could afford it. :happy
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

This wasn’t the question but I’ll share a short story.

A few years ago I inherited a stand up desk from the guy whose job I took over. I wasn’t particularly interested, but it was easier just to keep using it than it was to disassemble the whole thing. I’d usually just stand all morning then sit in the afternoon.

In less than two weeks it completely solved almost a decade of back pain that multiple doctors, MRIs, chiropractors and yoga failed to fix.

I was as shocked and surprised as anyone.

YMMV.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

I have a 2 Hermon Miller Sayl chairs. Bought 7 years ago. Great investment! Would buy again...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Anyway, working from home I sit in the same chair probably less than before. I work also on the deck, in a coffee shop, on a couch, in the bed,on a beach chair, on the grass and in my car in the park when I wait for my kid.
+1 I work on my porch steps, on my kitchen table, on the desk for my kids' desktop, on my couch, on my bed, on my bedroom floor with my back against the wall, in my kids' room while they are playing, on a camping chair on my front lawn while my kids play with neighbors, sitting on one of the stools at the kitchen counter...the number of times it has crossed my mind to buy a fancy office chair since WFH: 0.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

bligh wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:27 am
Well it depends on how long you spend driving that Corolla. Most cars are just sitting parked for the majority of the day. If you spent 8 hours a day, (or almost half your waking hours driving in that car) making your living, and were getting back and shoulder pains from sitting in that Corolla, then I doubt many here would still counsel you against getting a nice luxury car provided you could afford it. :happy
There is also a bit of a gap between like 50/year (i.e. a good office chair will last forever) and 5000. :) The tough part with things like chairs, mattress's, luxury cars, and the like is figuring out how much better they are. If paying 3k for some mattress made me sleep 5% better than the 1000 dollar one, I would be writing the check instantly. But you can't do that. Figuring out if you 300 dollar office chair is causing pain that would go away with a 1000 dollar one is hard. And picking between your 1000 dollar chair is equally hard. Some chairs just fit certain people better than others.
catpepper

Post by catpepper »

As much rave there is for the Aeron, I don't really have much issues using any common chairs out there, and I haven't used changed much computer chairs over the years and definitely have spent less on chairs than an Aeron over the course of it's warranty

I have sat on one before and I do think that it's good. Just that I'd rather put that money somewhere else.
boglebill

Post by boglebill »

stevewolfe wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:24 pm I have a Steelcase Leap v2 and love it. You can probably get any of the chairs in this class and be extremely happy. I purchased a remanufactured one earlier this year from Crandall office. 12 year warranty, can customize the cloth color, casters, cylinder, padding, etc. I went with heavy duty cylinder, roller blade casters, extra padding in the seat and all in it was $565 shipped. Took me a week and a half to get it once ordered.
I second this. Had a Steelcase Leap v1 during prior employment with favorable opinion due to the # of adjustments and years of service.

Found Crandall Office and ordered a Steelcase Leap v2. Excellent refurbished product with a fantastic warranty.
Topic Author
aiyuanuc

Post by aiyuanuc »

see my original post :D
BogleMelon wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:11 pm

What am I missing here?
Where is that $800 including tax brand new Aeron?!