Herman Miller Aeron chair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
aiyuanuc

Herman Miller Aeron chair

Post by aiyuanuc »

This work-from-home thing is killing my back and hips. Looking for a good chair and Aeron is one of the top contenders.

I have not tried it personally, and there is no store within a 2-hr radius one way from me. So my 1st question is:

1. For those who dislike, or even hate Aeron, can you please elaborate? And your body type?

2. FB employees (though I am not one, a friend has agreed to buy one for me) have deep discounts on Aeron. A retail $1,395 chair sells for only $700 plus change for them. Any disadvantages of those chairs or something I should watch out for?

Thanks!
stan1

Re: Herman Miller Aeron chair

Post by stan1 »

aiyuanuc wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm
A retail $1,395 chair sells for only $700 plus change for them. Any disadvantages of those chairs or something I should watch out for?
That's a great price so I would not hesitate if it was for me. The Aeron's come in three sizes so you have to pick the one you want based on your body type. Guidance on sizing is on the HM website, most people would get a medium. Make sure you don't select a custom option that will delay the chair by months (info on shipping time is available in the HM website online ordering tool).
Last edited by stan1 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
aiyuanuc

Post by aiyuanuc »

Yeah, I am thinking of pulling the trigger. But given that no stores are near me (and I don't want to wait 2 months for the chair and then have to return it), and I heard that some people even hate Aerons, I am seeking advices here, particularly the deal breakers.
stan1 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:42 pm
aiyuanuc wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm
A retail $1,395 chair sells for only $700 plus change for them. Any disadvantages of those chairs or something I should watch out for?
That's a great price so I would not hesitate. The Aeron's come in three sizes so you have to pick the one you want based on your body type. Go with Medium by default, you'll know if you need a small or large.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I have a knock off. The main advantage of a mesh chair is it is cool. Not like Fonzie and not like Marky Mark, but as in temperature. It is great for people who easily melt.
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

I got one last week for 15% off. I don’t regret it.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I cannot understand for the life of me why are these chairs 1000+. They are very simple, materials seem common.
I have one at work, I was always convinced it is a 150$ chair until we moved in a different building and everybody moved their chair because "its a Herman Miller!". I might bring it home.
Afty

Post by Afty »

The main difference between these expensive chairs and cheaper ones is the amount of adjustments. On expensive office chairs you can adjust everything from back tension to armrest height to max recline angle. I don't know if they are worth $1k, but at least in my area they are easy to find used for $3-400 and are worth that cost IMO.

I don't have experience with the Aeron, but the Wirecutter rates it highly: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ice-chair/
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I have this knock-off from Costco: https://www.costco.com/office-star-pro- ... 25785.html

Works just fine. Sometimes a chair is just a chair.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

I've got one and it's by far the best office chair I've ever owned. Yes, the mesh design means that there's minimal heat build-up between your body and the chair, but it's also just taut/loose enough to have a little give — i.e., it feels cushy. I sit for hours with no discomfort at all. My only regret is not buying one sooner.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

aiyuanuc wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm 1. For those who dislike, or even hate Aeron, can you please elaborate? And your body type?
I've never actually met anyone in real life who disliked or hated an Aeron. And that's with over a decade of working with thousands of whiny, entitled engineers who will complain about anything. Heard complaints about the coconut water but never about Aeron chairs.

I had an Aeron at work for about 8 years. Bought one for home use and have had it for -- I guess a decade now? Still looks and feels brand new. I've never had any other office chair last nearly as long.

That said, nowadays there are competitors to Aeron that are (probably) just as good or maybe even better. Steelcase Leap, Humanscale, and even other Herman Miller chairs are others I've heard people talk about liking.

I probably wouldn't let analysis paralysis freeze me up, if I were you. You can return the chair within 30 days if you don't like it. And you can resell it at anytime after you buy it for probably at least $500.
TimeRunner wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:41 pmI have this knock-off from Costco
Only a three-year warranty. Must be poor quality if they only stand behind it for three years. The Aeron chair comes with a 12-year warranty.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Another idea for the OP: can you find out what chair you had in your office? If you liked it then you could buy that one and know what you're getting.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I had one in my office from 2004 until I retired in 2013. It was the best desk chair I ever had.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I love my Aeron!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Starfish wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:33 pm I cannot understand for the life of me why are these chairs 1000+. They are very simple, materials seem common.
I have one at work, I was always convinced it is a 150$ chair until we moved in a different building and everybody moved their chair because "its a Herman Miller!". I might bring it home.
Check back after sitting in.a 150 dollar chair for a decade or two and let us know how it is standing up compared to the aeron or any of these top end task chairs. If that added quality is worth it to you or not is always a personal choice.

Personally I like the humanscale chairs slightly better but we are talking small differences. Both were a lot more comfortable than the more normal 400-600 dollar office chairs that a lot of companies provide. Up to you what the value of a couple hundred bucks is....
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I have just bought one used today (probably 15 years old or more!) but after cleaning it, it looks like new! Everything is working fine, the mesh is stretched, only some "sponge" underneath at the front part that started to break down, but it doesn't affect the chair functionality or its comfort. Not sure why it is even put there in the first place.
Anyways, I haven't used it enough to judge, but so far it seems very comfortable especially when leaning backward (the seat itself moves as well not just the back which feels really good). Tomorrow will be my first 8+ hours using that chair, so I may post an update here on that. This is my first high end chair, before I was using crab chairs that gave tailbone issues and was bad to me generally.
Oh, and thank you for creating that post, I am interested on others responses as well, so I will be following that post :beer
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
squirm

Post by squirm »

Yes vote for Aeron, my back appreciates it.
rob

Post by rob »

Deleted by author
Last edited by rob on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Rob1

Post by Rob1 »

I have an Aeron and find the mesh bottom uncomfortable.

I bought a Herman Miller Sayl Chair about a year ago and find it much more comfortable. I believe it has all the same adjustments as the Aeron (more or less), but the Sayl has a more traditional fabric cushioned seat. Bonus: I think it looks better (mind has a white base with gray back and seat).

https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/o ... lang=en_US
Last edited by Rob1 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I've had an Aeron at a prior workplace a long time ago. I don't like that the seat is just a mesh (i.e. not padded). It also didn't work as well for my back and I ended up asking for something else. They gave me a Steelcase Criterion and that worked well.

At different jobs I have had the Steelcase Criterion and the Leap. I preferred the Criterion. The Leap was good as well, but they have since changed the design and I cannot comment if the new design works as well for my back.
https://www.steelcase.com/products/offi ... criterion/
https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/leap/
With both of these, the seat and the back are padded.

Another option is to find a back store in your area, the kind that sells things like zero gravity lounge chairs. They have task/office chairs as well. That way you can actually try out a variety of them. Local store in my area seems to have chairs by Stressless:
http://www.stresslessfurniture.com/us/stressless-office

If you live near a Design Within Reach store, they usually stock Herman Miller products in case you want to try the chair before you buy.
Last edited by anoop on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Aeron chairs come with a 12 year warranty if you purchase through an authorized channel. Be sure to do so, as my first Aeron required what would have been expensive service/parts two or three times. When it had problems after it was out of warranty, I bought a new one when it was on sale via Design Within Reach, which was an authorized retailer. That was five years ago, and the repair guy has been out once and replaced a couple of parts.

Comfortable chair. Size C since I'm tall.
Jnick55

Post by Jnick55 »

I have had an Aeron chair at my desk at home for close to 20 years. Honestly, I don’t see what’s so great about them. It seems no more or less comfortable than any other decent quality chair that swivels and tilts. They might be helpful for suffers of chronic back pain, and perhaps the fact that the chair has lasted that long speaks to its quality. But I’ve used a standard issue padded desk chair in my office at work for just as long. It is just as comfortable and has held up just as long. I would not spend the money for one again
catpepper

Post by catpepper »

I just go for the ones with back support. Chairs last long for me so i don't really need an Aeron, but I need that additional back support.

This is the one i bought. Brandless product, without any warranty. Supports my back well.

https://imgur.com/qKBBBVU
langelgjm

Post by langelgjm »

There's almost certainly an office supply liquidator nearby that will have some used ones in stock. My wife and I both bought used Aerons recently from such a place. Check Craigslist, too.

My wife had been using a $150 office chair before. With the new-to-us Aeron, a keyboard pull out tray to lower the keyboard and mouse, and a laptop stand to raise the computer to eye level, she now says she's never had a more comfortable setup.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I had an Aeron at work for over a decade. Very comfortable, no complaints.

Do realize that a chair is only one part of the equation in being comfortable at your workstation. Desk height, keyboard, mouse, and monitor position are all part and parcel. Several years ago I switched to a standing height desk and actually moved to a wooden artists stool that forces me to sit more upright. I don’t actually stand all that much - but having the option really makes a difference - and because the overall workstation ergonomics work, I’m fine on the $200 stool.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

After I retired, I spent a lot of time in my office chair at home and it really bothered my back. I started looking at high end chairs like HM Aeron. I need a good chair but was reluctant to pay that much. I found a guy thru Craigslist that buys and sells used office furniture. He often buys almost new furniture from companies when they relocate their offices. I was able to get a one year old Aeron in mint condition for about half price. 8 years later I am still using it.

There is probably somebody in your community doing the same thing. Do some research and you will probably find high quality slightly used chairs at great prices.
z0r

Post by z0r »

AlohaJoe wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 pm That said, nowadays there are competitors to Aeron that are (probably) just as good or maybe even better. Steelcase Leap, Humanscale, and even other Herman Miller chairs are others I've heard people talk about liking
I use a steelcase leap in my home office, I tried both and the leap is better for me. it's silly that aeron has built such a strong brand when it's just one of many such high end chairs

I got my leap for $200 or so. every big city has office furniture liquidators you can find on Craigslist. mine was cheap because it had a stain but I've had it six years now and it doesn't show any wear beyond that
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

randomguy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:58 pm
Starfish wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:33 pm I cannot understand for the life of me why are these chairs 1000+. They are very simple, materials seem common.
Check back after sitting in.a 150 dollar chair for a decade or two and let us know how it is standing up compared to the aeron or any of these top end task chairs. If that added quality is worth it to you or not is always a personal choice.

Personally I like the humanscale chairs slightly better but we are talking small differences. Both were a lot more comfortable than the more normal 400-600 dollar office chairs that a lot of companies provide. Up to you what the value of a couple hundred bucks is....
I do not dispute at all the difference in quality, just wandering why it costs so much when apparently it is pretty simple product.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

I have a Steelcase Leap v2 and love it. You can probably get any of the chairs in this class and be extremely happy. I purchased a remanufactured one earlier this year from Crandall office. 12 year warranty, can customize the cloth color, casters, cylinder, padding, etc. I went with heavy duty cylinder, roller blade casters, extra padding in the seat and all in it was $565 shipped. Took me a week and a half to get it once ordered.
Last edited by stevewolfe on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Starfish wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:17 pm

I do not dispute at all the difference in quality, just wandering why it costs so much when apparently it is pretty simple product.
I think a big part of the cost is due to the patent? May be royalties to different parties are involved due to the famous design...etc?
I also find Steelcase Leap V2 is over $1600, so Aeron is not the only high end chair that is 1000+

https://i.postimg.cc/GmCVpTQ9/leap.jpg
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

I gambled and got a "scratch and dent" Herman Miller Aeron chair from eBay a couple of months ago. I got it for less than a third of retail price, and the one I got seems brand new. Can't find a single scratch or dent on the chair.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

My boss got me one when I worked in trading and I really liked it. Now I'm a teacher and my district won't buy me one. :shock:
hyperon

Post by hyperon »

BogleMelon wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm

I think a big part of the cost is due to the patent? May be royalties to different parties are involved due to the famous design...etc?
I also find Steelcase Leap V2 is over $1600, so Aeron is not the only high end chair that is 1000+

https://i.postimg.cc/GmCVpTQ9/leap.jpg
Wow, now that must be a result of the pandemic and material shortages. Supply and demand. I bought the Leap v2 brand new direct from Steelcase in May with all the bells and whistles and it was ~$1000 with shipping included. I was going to suggest considering the Leap because I'm fairly happy with it, but not at $1600+.
psy1

Post by psy1 »

There is no way that Costco chair is even close to an Aeron chair. I have had both. No doubt, an Aeron chair is overpriced but at the same time it is uniquely comfortable. I had a sedentary job and hate feeling hot or clammy. The Aeron chair is mesh which is as cool as a chair can be. It has good lumbar support, good recline tension, nice casters, and it is very durable and easy to clean. I never regretted buying one. Be mindful of the size though. I had a wide-bottomed employee try to wedge herself in and she blew the arm off the chair. Otherwise, the adjustable arm rests are nice.

My only complaint about the Aeron is the lack of a head rest like the Leap chair has. My new chair has a head rest and it is very comfortable on the occasions I use it.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Strummer wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:47 pm I've got one and it's by far the best office chair I've ever owned. Yes, the mesh design means that there's minimal heat build-up between your body and the chair, but it's also just taut/loose enough to have a little give — i.e., it feels cushy. I sit for hours with no discomfort at all. My only regret is not buying one sooner.
Our office had the Steelcase equivalent (Think & Leap), and I preferred the Think. I asked our corp rep if I could get a friends and family discount with a drop ship to home -- no installation -- and she checked and said sure. Wife thought I was crazy when it arrived and she saw the credit card charge. Then she sat in it: "this is better than any furniture that we have in our house." Kids have asked for dibs in the will.

So yeah, if you are working from home a lot and have the cash, you won't regret the purchase.

btw: I went thru several of the Costco chairs at the time, and nothing was close.
Compound

Post by Compound »

aiyuanuc wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm This work-from-home thing is killing my back and hips. Looking for a good chair and Aeron is one of the top contenders.

I have not tried it personally, and there is no store within a 2-hr radius one way from me. So my 1st question is:

1. For those who dislike, or even hate Aeron, can you please elaborate? And your body type?

2. FB employees (though I am not one, a friend has agreed to buy one for me) have deep discounts on Aeron. A retail $1,395 chair sells for only $700 plus change for them. Any disadvantages of those chairs or something I should watch out for?

Thanks!
Any chance you could get a discount on the “Embody” chair by Herman Miller through that program? I’ve used that chair for years and really love the ergonomics.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I recently purchased a Steelcase Think from a local used office furniture store for less than $200. It is something like 11 years old but extremely comfortable. The pain in my left leg is gone.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Get the seat cushion from ebay, then it's comfy. Otherwise the base will feel like a rock after 20min.
onourway

Post by onourway »

If one were to look critically at both chairs side by side it would be trivial to spot the differences. Every single piece on the Aeron, from the mesh to the arms to the frame to the gas strut to the bottom caster frame and casters is orders of magnitude higher quality on the Aeron. It is almost infinitely adjustable in ways your $150 chair surely is not. Most of the parts are high quality materials - aluminum, etc. rather than plastic.

An Aeron will easily last 10-20 years and with proper adjustment, prevent all manner of potentially serious injuries in the process.

I find it hilarious that people are concerned about the price of a chair they will spend tens of thousands of hours sitting in...
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

My experience after Day 1 owning a $375 15-years old (at least) used Aeron (Picked locally).
Woke up this morning with a back pain (bad mattress). Worked my usual 8 hours, and couple of more hours playing games, took a couple of brakes though, but now back on it typing this post. Everything is great so far. Back pain is gone! Tailbone pain (the main reason I started googling whether high-end chairs worth it) hasn't disappeared completely, but usually (before the Aeron) at that time of the day it used to be the worst. Today I guess it is different, it is very very mild that I have to press on my vertebrae to feel if it is still there.
Only one thing that bugs me, seems that the canisters were originally customized for a hard floor, because they rolled poorly on my carpet.

Now it may be the time to google "Does High-end mattress worth it" :moneybag :oops:
JGS

Post by JGS »

I've sold Aeron chairs since they were introduced in 1994. So, I think I know what I'm talking about unlike many people who comment here. Key question is how many hours a day will you be sitting in the chair? Of course, being able to try the chair out would always be my recommendation. if that is not easily available, I would most certainly highly recommend the Aeron. Certainly at the price you would have available to you. I promise you that a $150 Costco chair is not anywhere close to the same. The technology in the Aeron chair is extremely advanced. The "mesh" or suspension is very complex and actually has 4 zones. This highly complex technology is the reason for the price. Total body support is the reason for comfort. There are many online Aerons being sold at a discount but they are used and refurbished and also the "classic" version of this chair. Buyer beware. The new "remastered" Aeron is what you want to purchase. There is a reason this chair is iconic. There is a reason this chair is the best selling ergonomic chair in history. There is a reason this chair has so many awards. There are many chairs on the market that are very good ergonomic chairs. The Aeron is still the champion. Have you ever purchased a cheap pair of shoes and regretted it later? Don't make the same mistake with seating. It's a great investment and one you will not regret.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Another thought is to get yourself a standing desk and stop sitting on your butt for so many hours.

That one move has been a game-changer for how I feel. I wear good supportive shoes and keep a pair of hand weights weights nearby. Stand and lift, stretch, touch your toes, etc for at least 10 minutes every hour and you'll feel even better!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If you’re sitting in it 8 hours a day, having a good quality, adjustable chair is important, and you’ll want to get something that’s in this price range. The Aeron, though. We all had them at one place I worked. A lot of people really liked it, but a bunch of us found that the frame on the seat dug into the backs of our thighs and was really uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn’t put out big bucks on an Aeron, or frankly, any chair in this price range, without trying one first. If you’re spending this kind of money, it’s worth driving for a couple of hours to try them out.

There are other chairs that are a lot more comfortable without being so hit or miss. One I had at another job that seemed to be more universally liked is the Herman Miller Celle.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
aiyuanuc

Post by aiyuanuc »

Thanks for the positive review! I guess I am more interested in negative reviews though -- or, did you get any? Like the reply 2 levels below you: seat frame digging into the back of the thighs? I thought it's a size issue.
JGS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 pm I've sold Aeron chairs since they were introduced in 1994. So, I think I know what I'm talking about unlike many people who comment here. Key question is how many hours a day will you be sitting in the chair? Of course, being able to try the chair out would always be my recommendation. if that is not easily available, I would most certainly highly recommend the Aeron. Certainly at the price you would have available to you. I promise you that a $150 Costco chair is not anywhere close to the same. The technology in the Aeron chair is extremely advanced. The "mesh" or suspension is very complex and actually has 4 zones. This highly complex technology is the reason for the price. Total body support is the reason for comfort. There are many online Aerons being sold at a discount but they are used and refurbished and also the "classic" version of this chair. Buyer beware. The new "remastered" Aeron is what you want to purchase. There is a reason this chair is iconic. There is a reason this chair is the best selling ergonomic chair in history. There is a reason this chair has so many awards. There are many chairs on the market that are very good ergonomic chairs. The Aeron is still the champion. Have you ever purchased a cheap pair of shoes and regretted it later? Don't make the same mistake with seating. It's a great investment and one you will not regret.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

aiyuanuc wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:24 pm Thanks for the positive review! I guess I am more interested in negative reviews though -- or, did you get any? Like the reply 2 levels below you: seat frame digging into the back of the thighs? I thought it's a size issue.
JGS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 pm I've sold Aeron chairs since they were introduced in 1994. So, I think I know what I'm talking about unlike many people who comment here. Key question is how many hours a day will you be sitting in the chair? Of course, being able to try the chair out would always be my recommendation. if that is not easily available, I would most certainly highly recommend the Aeron. Certainly at the price you would have available to you. I promise you that a $150 Costco chair is not anywhere close to the same. The technology in the Aeron chair is extremely advanced. The "mesh" or suspension is very complex and actually has 4 zones. This highly complex technology is the reason for the price. Total body support is the reason for comfort. There are many online Aerons being sold at a discount but they are used and refurbished and also the "classic" version of this chair. Buyer beware. The new "remastered" Aeron is what you want to purchase. There is a reason this chair is iconic. There is a reason this chair is the best selling ergonomic chair in history. There is a reason this chair has so many awards. There are many chairs on the market that are very good ergonomic chairs. The Aeron is still the champion. Have you ever purchased a cheap pair of shoes and regretted it later? Don't make the same mistake with seating. It's a great investment and one you will not regret.
Talk about a stereotypical sales pitch :shock:. I have an aeron in my office, I have no complaints, but when March rolled around and WFH seemed inevitable I didn't even remotely consider spending $1500 or even 1/5 of that on a chair. To be honest, I don't think I've ever had a complaint about any chair I've used at work, and the vast majority of them weren't in the same (price) class as an aeron. We're 5 months in now and my kitchen table chair, my kids desktop computer desk chair, or even my bed has been fine (for myself and the wife).
rob

Post by rob »

JGS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 pm ....So, I think I know what I'm talking about unlike many people who comment here....
Nice... I bow down to your superior knowledge!
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

TimeRunner wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:41 pm I have this knock-off from Costco: https://www.costco.com/office-star-pro- ... 25785.html

Works just fine. Sometimes a chair is just a chair.
1. Had an Aeron for several years at a place I worked. I liked it very much.

2. For several years I've been using this $110 $Costco knock off (that often goes on sale for $90 and is more similar to the Aeron than the link above as this has a mesh seat): https://www.costco.com/bayside-furnishi ... 22611.html
I'm fairly happy with this chair but not thrilled. Happy enough that I'm not replacing it at this time

3. If I were to buy a chair today I would buy a scratch & dent Aeron with all the upgraded bells & whistles (adjustments) if it was affordable. Google indicates a place called Madison Seating sells Aeron's for $450
Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R »

Check Craigslist for deals- usually around $500 here.
Topic Author
aiyuanuc

Post by aiyuanuc »

It seems that many here think $500 for a 10-yo used one is more worthwhile than $800 (including tax) for a brand new remastered Aeron......

No offense, but it got me curious about the math.

Say a decent 10 yo Aeron costs you $500 and will serve you 10 more years. So you are willing to spend $50 a year to sit on a used chair.
Now, for the brand new one, if you sit on it for 20 years, the annual cost is $40, and you get 1. all new features, 2. 12-year warranty, and all the whistles and bells of a brand new Aeron.

What am I missing here?
anoop

Post by anoop »

aiyuanuc wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm It seems that many here think $500 for a 10-yo used one is more worthwhile than $800 (including tax) for a brand new remastered Aeron......

No offense, but it got me curious about the math.

Say a decent 10 yo Aeron costs you $500 and will serve you 10 more years. So you are willing to spend $50 a year to sit on a used chair.
Now, for the brand new one, if you sit on it for 20 years, the annual cost is $40, and you get 1. all new features, 2. 12-year warranty, and all the whistles and bells of a brand new Aeron.

What am I missing here?
The lost investment opportunity of that $300. That $300, invested in AAPL, could turn into $3000 or more over 10 years. :D

Edit: On a serious note, the more important thing is to figure out if the chair is going to be comfortable for you. If it is, the $300 additional expense is noise and will be forgotten. Given that you cannot find a store, if buying new offers the chance of returning it if it doesn't work out, that would be the way to go.
Last edited by anoop on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

AlohaJoe wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 pm I've never actually met anyone in real life who disliked or hated an Aeron. And that's with over a decade of working with thousands of whiny, entitled engineers who will complain about anything. Heard complaints about the coconut water but never about Aeron chairs.
Hey --- I'd be happy to meet you. They had these at my last job and I didn't care for them. They clearly weren't awful, they do the job and they don't fall apart, etc. But I certainly liked the chairs better at the previous job --- they looked like normal office chairs, but all of the parts were available in different sizes, and during onboarding, you'd sit with the ergo people and figure out the right size for everything so the chair actually fit you. And it was a lot easier to adjust than the Aerons.

Edit: I did some searching, and figured out the chairs I liked were the Soma Comfort line, something like this. You can look at the Customizable Modular System Options, Prices and Specifications link on that page to see all the options you can order to help it fit you.