Moving truck rental add-ons

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nyarlathotep

Moving truck rental add-ons

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If you were renting a moving truck (from UHaul, for example) to move from one city to another, would you pay for the various insurance/protection add-ons? The truck rental companies push these as though you'd be crazy not to get them, since they claim neither credit cards nor your personal auto insurance will cover any damages while operating rented moving trucks. The coverage costs around $200-$250 (this is for a 700 mile one-way trip), and covers everything one might expect to (rarely) encounter. Worth it, or not?
runner3081

Re: Moving truck rental add-ons

Post by runner3081 »

Personally, I would not and have not.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:14 pm If you were renting a moving truck (from UHaul, for example) to move from one city to another, would you pay for the various insurance/protection add-ons? The truck rental companies push these as though you'd be crazy not to get them, since they claim neither credit cards nor your personal auto insurance will cover any damages while operating rented moving trucks. The coverage costs around $200-$250 (this is for a 700 mile one-way trip), and covers everything one might expect to (rarely) encounter. Worth it, or not?
When I rented a Uhaul trailer to take stuff from MI to TX I paid the insurance. IMO couple hundred dollars is a small price to pay compared to what it might cost repair or replace a damaged trailer. But everyone has to make their own risk - benefit decision on this.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:34 pm Personally, I would not and have not.
This was my initial take on it, too, but I'm not completely sure. I've never driven a large moving truck before, so my odds of a mishap are higher than driving a car. However, I've had only 3 accidents in over 35 years of driving, so my track record is excellent. But having absolutely NO coverage if something were to go wrong... I'm don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I suppose I need to call my auto insurance company and ask about their coverage (or lack thereof) in order to make the best decision.

Post by 123 »

While I don't normally pay for rental vehicle insurance I did a few years back for a U-Haul truck move of about 500 miles. The cost then was something like an additional 15-20% for a "damage waiver" pertaining to the rental truck. While I had driven that 500 mile route a number of times previously I remembered that on about half of those trips there was a U-Haul vehicle involved in either an accident or other "distress" somewhere along the way. I felt the primary value of the "damage waiver" would be the simplicity of dealing with accidental damage.

If you are not used to driving a larger vehicle, even if you have many years of driving experience, there is a lot of potential for problems. Things like not managing turns correctly or parking/backing up. The open highway is likely not to be a problem (except for winds/weather), it's the off highway local miles that may have the biggest potential for problems.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

This is something I have done twice.

I just pay for the extra insurance. By moving myself, I am saving so much compared to a mover that I just consider it part of the cost.

I don't have comprehensive insurance, so that weighs into this. I'd hate to just depend on CC company to pick up the bill.
I don't read the fine print closely enough to feel comfortable declining the extra insurance. How much would a moving truck cost ??
Topic Author
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

MathWizard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:59 pmI don't read the fine print closely enough to feel comfortable declining the extra insurance. How much would a moving truck cost ??
For my move (about 700 miles, 12' truck) the cost for just the truck rental is around $1,000-$1,100. With the insurance protection plus other minor add-ons, taxes, etc., comes out to around $1,200-$1,400. Seems expensive, but apparently this is the going rate since all the truck rental companies are in this ballpark.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

It's been many years, but I once rented an open-top U-Haul trailer to move some furniture 60 miles. Part of the load was two sets of mattresses. I was near my destination when a police car pulled me over. The mattresses were on fire! As best we could figure, a smoker threw out a butt that landed on one of the mattresses. I ended up with close to $1,000 for damage to the contents. YMMV.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
a_movable_life

Post by a_movable_life »

Car rental insurance on a credit card does not always cover Vans and Trucks. Please check your policy.
HawkeyeJD

Post by HawkeyeJD »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:46 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:34 pm Personally, I would not and have not.
This was my initial take on it, too, but I'm not completely sure. I've never driven a large moving truck before, so my odds of a mishap are higher than driving a car. However, I've had only 3 accidents in over 35 years of driving, so my track record is excellent. But having absolutely NO coverage if something were to go wrong... I'm don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I suppose I need to call my auto insurance company and ask about their coverage (or lack thereof) in order to make the best decision.
You need to call your insurance company and ask, and then check whether credit cards cover a uHaul. USAA has very clear guidance when you call as to what size of truck they will cover and what size they will not. When I last rented one of the larger trucks, it was explicitly not covered by credit card or USAA insurance. I paid the $200ish dollars because I did not want to be liable for replacing a $70,000 truck and because I have no other experience driving a large truck like that in urban traffic or on the highway.

Note this is one of the only times I've ever bought extra insurance on any product as I'm normally very adverse to these things. However, in this case, I thought it made sense.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Is this the complete liability plus damage waiver or just the damage waiver? Uhaul trucks usually have basic liability insurance and some/most personal insurance excludes trucks of that size.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:14 pm If you were renting a moving truck (from UHaul, for example) to move from one city to another, would you pay for the various insurance/protection add-ons? The truck rental companies push these as though you'd be crazy not to get them, since they claim neither credit cards nor your personal auto insurance will cover any damages while operating rented moving trucks. The coverage costs around $200-$250 (this is for a 700 mile one-way trip), and covers everything one might expect to (rarely) encounter. Worth it, or not?
No, never.
Topic Author
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:34 pmIs this the complete liability plus damage waiver or just the damage waiver? Uhaul trucks usually have basic liability insurance and some/most personal insurance excludes trucks of that size.
The $200 figure I mentioned earlier is for a basic liability and damage waiver that was quoted by Budget Truck Rental. U-Haul offers the same thing for less, around $80 for the bare-bones insurance coverage. Not sure why the pricing is so different. I'll need to double check that.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:34 pmIs this the complete liability plus damage waiver or just the damage waiver? Uhaul trucks usually have basic liability insurance and some/most personal insurance excludes trucks of that size.
The $200 figure I mentioned earlier is for a basic liability and damage waiver that was quoted by Budget Truck Rental. U-Haul offers the same thing for less, around $80 for the bare-bones insurance coverage. Not sure why the pricing is so different. I'll need to double check that.
Well, given that most consumer auto policies exclude commercial vehicles, the truck rental companies are more or less required to have at least basic liability insurance.

The damage waiver is a different issue.

I'd get the damage waiver personally unless $3-5,000 was a drop in the bucket.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm
MathWizard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:59 pmI don't read the fine print closely enough to feel comfortable declining the extra insurance. How much would a moving truck cost ??
For my move (about 700 miles, 12' truck) the cost for just the truck rental is around $1,000-$1,100. With the insurance protection plus other minor add-ons, taxes, etc., comes out to around $1,200-$1,400. Seems expensive, but apparently this is the going rate since all the truck rental companies are in this ballpark.
$1000 for a 12 ft truck seems high. I use Budget truck rental.

It certainly depends on the city and times, but I am seeing only $351 for a drop-offa city 700 miles away. You can also check returning to the same city, or renting from city close to your city or your destination.

Some cities like University towns have high cost of rentals this time of year. If you are going to a Univ town that night explain the high cost. You would also see a high cost leaving a Univ town after spring graduation.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

a_movable_life wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:14 pm Car rental insurance on a credit card does not always cover Vans and Trucks. Please check your policy.
and usually credit cards only cover damage to the rented vehicle, not other vehicles or perhaps more importantly medical bills for others you may injure
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I just did a 850 mile move and while I never purchase the insurance for rental cars, I thought it made sense to purchase it for the Penske truck we rented. I guess I was lucky because the entire cost for the 26 ft truck (the bigger trucks were actually much cheaper that week...lower demand for those perhaps?) was ~$500 and that included all the insurance and furniture dolly and furniture pad rentals. A 12 ft truck doesn’t sound too bad, but it’s pretty easy to brush up against trees and damage the side of the truck when you’re used to driving something smaller. I’m not sure how picky the truck rental companies are about that kind of damage.
Topic Author
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

MathWizard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm$1000 for a 12 ft truck seems high. I use Budget truck rental.

It certainly depends on the city and times, but I am seeing only $351 for a drop-offa city 700 miles away. You can also check returning to the same city, or renting from city close to your city or your destination.
Wow... $350 would certainly be nice. But apparently the rate is heavily tied to pick-up/drop-off locations as well as specific dates. I can't find anything lower than about $1,000 for any locations reasonably close to my two cities, and I've checked Budget, U-Haul, and Penske.
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

I typically pass on the equipment provider's insurance and self-insure when I rent moving trailers to pull behind my vehicle. Since I am operating my own vehicle and have experience maneuvering a trailer, I feel my risk of damage is low and relatively limited to the cost of the trailer (<$10K) if damage occurs.

However, for ~$250, I would purchase the coverage from the truck provider given the cost to repair/replace the truck could be quite high ($50K+), let alone cost to tow the truck to a service station, etc. Pretty cheap price for peace of mind, especially if you are not experienced with operating moving trucks.
Last edited by onmyway33 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

It is important to call your insurance agent ahead of time and find out what the options are to insure the rental vehicle and the contents of your home move. We hired and paid to move folks across country a lot in the past. Most of the time the moves went off with no issues. But in two exception situations that stick in my memory, truck and contents were destroyed due to a truck fire (brakes), and in the other everything was lost by theft of the overnight parked truck. I would get the insurance and also make sure the contents are also covered.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:02 pm
MathWizard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm$1000 for a 12 ft truck seems high. I use Budget truck rental.

Wow... $350 would certainly be nice. But apparently the rate is heavily tied to pick-up/drop-off locations as well as specific dates. I can't find anything lower than about $1,000 for any locations reasonably close to my two cities, and I've checked Budget, U-Haul, and Penske.
I live in a Univ town, so they like rentals that take trucks away from here right now. This allows them to avoid paying somebody to dead head the trucks to even out the distribution.
I've also occasionally had round trip rentals come out cheaper, ignoring the cost of fuel. Not really sure why, but I always check now.

Good luck with the move.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

I always buy the insurance. I do it for three reasons: 1) peace of mind; 2) I'm generally unskilled in driving large trucks; and 3) I don't feel comfortable playing the "what are the odds" game.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

In most things, I try to be frugal and avoid add-ons, but I generally get the lower-level insurance when I rent from U-Haul. I've had mainly bad experiences with professional movers (mostly because mine was usually the smallest load on the truck, so I got used to being promised a 4-5 day load spread or delivery spread and having them miss it), and I've been very fortunate to have competent and reliable friends to help me move. I was delighted to pay them what they would take, treat them to some meals and drinks, and spring for some insurance to have one less thing to worry about.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I have rented two Uhaul trailers in the last month and for both rentals I purchased the optional $24 insurance package. If you don't buy it you should definitely check with your auto insurer over whether you're covered or not for towing and if you are what exactly is covered.

Many years ago a relative was rear-ended towing a Uhaul and he hadn't bought the insurance, then found out his auto insurance didn't cover him because he didn't own the trailer. It was a fine mess.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:41 pm
No, never.
Yes, always.

I move once a year and always get the damage waiver on the trailer. My credit cards and insurance won’t cover damage.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

The rates are usurious, but damage waivers are worth it for the ability to just walk away in the event of a not your fault incident. You'd have to be paying for near zero deductible collision coverage to get the same indemnification.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Moving to a college town right now is relatively expensive. Moving from a college town is relatively expensive in May/June.