Whole House Generator propane odor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mrshanno

Whole House Generator propane odor

Post by mrshanno »

Hi

Just got a band new Kohler 20kw whole house generator that runs on propane. During the first weekly exercise, I could smell some propane odor coming from the exhaust. The lp guy sprayed the connections outside of the generator with soapy water and did not detect any leaks. He said it was normal to have some propane smell from the exhaust. For those with whole house generators, have you experienced this (is it normal)?

Thanks for your help
RetiredAL

Re: Whole House Generator propane odor

Post by RetiredAL »

I worked for a heavy industrial company and we had dozens of propane fueled vehicles running around inside the manufacturing building and warehouse buildings.

Not once that I can remember did the exhaust of propane fueled engine having a smell. Any propane smell around them could always be traced to a leak someplace.

No quite the same as your generator, but damn close.

BTW, diesel and gasoline engines usually stink some. We used gas was only used for small engines such small portable generators or sump pumps, as gasoline engines always emit some CO, which can collect in low spaces, manholes, pits, ect, so never near one of those. Diesels product much less CO and than gasoline and are generally considered safe.
LearningAlot

Post by LearningAlot »

mrshanno wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:50 pm Hi

Just got a band new Kohler 20kw whole house generator that runs on propane. During the first weekly exercise, I could smell some propane odor coming from the exhaust. The lp guy sprayed the connections outside of the generator with soapy water and did not detect any leaks. He said it was normal to have some propane smell from the exhaust. For those with whole house generators, have you experienced this (is it normal)?

Thanks for your help
Had same problem, needed to be fixed, had another professional in to evaluate, he fixed it, just was not installed correctly,
smell completely eliminated
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
whomever

Post by whomever »

"The lp guy sprayed the connections outside of the generator with soapy water and did not detect any leaks."

There might be a leak inside the generator, at the carburetor or whatever that engine uses.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We have an old propane generator. Does not smell of propane. EVER. Don’t take repairman’s word for “no leak detected.” It is dangerous and you need it fixed.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

Yes, this is probably a leak inside the engine somewhere. You might need to call the manufacturer if the installer won't/cant do anything about it.
Propane is used on lots of indoor equipment like forklifts and zambonis because it has very low emissions. You should be able to smell anything.
Van

Post by Van »

We have a 20Kw propane fueled whole house generator. It has run numerous times over the 10 years we have had it. NEVER smelled propane odor.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have propane powered grill, fireplace logs, generator, and a cooker.

Never once have I ever smelled propane from any.

I would get that generator inspected like yesterday. :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Topic Author
mrshanno

Post by mrshanno »

Thank you all, I will have the generator company take a look at it.