Car safety after age 67 or so

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BarbBrooklyn

Car safety after age 67 or so

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

DH and I are 67 and 66; we are both relatively healthy, but both have cararacts that are not yet severe enough to be "done". (Our opthamologist says "my CPA will tell me when your cataracts need to be done"; he's kidding).

We currently drive a 2012 Honda Fit which is an amazing car for hauling stuff; she currently has 101K miles. I bought it at the end of my mom's life (and she ALWAYS said it was the perfect car for an old person to get in and out of, which is totally true). I used it to haul the contents of her home to Goodwill; it was the best car possible for those purposes and always had in the back of my head "I will sell this car when mom dies". Mom passed away 2 years ago.

I tend to keep my cars for a long time: (2000 Honda Civic 145K) but going forward, I'm wondering in the increased safety features and stuff like heated seats, power hatch and other "old people comfort stuff" might be worth it for us to throw some money at now, rather than in 5 years, which would be my "normal" get rid of the car trajectory. The Fit appears to be worth 3-4K as a trade in, probably more as a private sale.

We have the funds to buy something in the 25-40K range for cash. Would like to do a hybrid if possible and, having ridden in a friend's Tesla this winter in Florida....well, that intrigues me.
ETA: We have 2 grandchilren, ages 8 and 3; we sometimes need to haul 2 parents and 3 yo (they are urban dwellers and don't drive) around. Also have another adult child and wife who don't own a car and need to be schlepped...but I really don't want to go back to a mini van. Does anyone here remember the Nissan Van, circa 1987? I no longer buy any car in its intial year).

Happy for any advice.
Last edited by BarbBrooklyn on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
adamthesmythe

Re: Car safety after age 67 or so

Post by adamthesmythe »

About the cataracts- know when you shouldn't drive, and then don't. Safety features will have very little impact on your ability to drive.

About the car- it makes sense to improve your vehicle now. Features available reduce the chances of some types of accidents (backup accidents, some pedestrian accidents) and reduce fatigue which is a good thing.

But your motivations are unclear. Hybrid because you drive enough to save money? Because it is invironmintal? Because everyone else recommends it? Tesla because it's really fast? Think about your use case and then pick the right car.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:04 pm DH and I are 67 and 66; we are both relatively healthy, but both have cararacts that are not yet severe enough to be "done". (Our opthamologist says "my CPA will tell me when your cataracts need to be done"; he's kidding).

We currently drive a 2012 Honda Fit which is an amazing car for hauling stuff; she currently has 101K miles. I bought it at the end of my mom's life (and she ALWAYS said it was the perfect car for an old person to get in and out of, which is totally true). I used it to haul the contents of her home to Goodwill; it was the best car possible for those purposes and always had in the back of my head "I will sell this car when mom dies". Mom passed away 2 years ago.

I tend to keep my cars for a long time: (2000 Honda Civic 145K) but going forward, I'm wondering in the increased safety features and stuff like heated seats, power hatch and other "old people comfort stuff" might be worth it for us to throw some money at now, rather than in 5 years, which would be my "normal" get rid of the car trajectory. The Fit appears to be worth 3-4K as a trade in, pobably more as a private sale.

We have the funds to buy something in the 25-40K range for cash. Would like to do a hybrid if possible and, having ridden in a friend's Tesla this winter in Florida....well, that intrigues me.

Happy for any advice.

You both are probably the best judge of whether/how much various features will be "worth it" for *you*.
For starters, are you having difficulty getting in and out of the car?
Would a power-assisted hatch help (when arms are full, or is it a matter of reaching up, etc.)?
Heated seats/steering wheel/etc... what is your climate like?

If you explore a new car, you might consider a remote start, which could heat the car, including defrosting the windows, etc.

Safety features? That is a big reason we got our most recent car, now >5 years old, but still has most of the key features we wanted. Those include blind spot detection (turning neck is not as easy nowadays was when we were younger) and a BACKUP CAMERA and warning signal for cross-traffic. I was starting to avoid any spaces that would or even might require backing up. Both of those have been truly worthwhile to both of us.

But a more important point: Don't wait "too long" to take care of cataracts.

I did, but almost entirely unknowingly... until one evening, a car approaching must have been at "just the right angle", and suddenly the headlights caused a TOTAL circle of glare, like infinite glowing radius spokes. I was effectively blinded instantaneously. On a curvy country road. Fortunately, I wasn't going fast, but it wasn't a crawl, either.
I was terrified.
It turned out my cataracts were by then much, much worse, but I didn't know. In retrospect, I was stunned to see the lovely details on our ceiling light fixtures, etc... things I had thought "were cheap after all, and have just faded". Nope. Still there :happy
And when the bandage was removed from my first eye the next morning, I almost shrieked, "OMG THE COLORS! It's like Wizard of Oz. One eye is really almost black and white and THIS eye is... TECHNICOLOR!"
So I bumped up the schedule for the second eye, figuring, if I can't be fully active for a few weeks, why not double up and use that time for both.

But it was the sudden and dramatic loss of night vision that was totally unexpected.

Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

As a fellow "old person", I like my comforts too. My 2017 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid fits me well.
Very comfortable 6 way leather from seats seats. Will fit 5, but most comfortable with 4.
I bought it 2 years old at $25K and it has all the bells and whistles:
  • backup camera
  • heated/cooled seats both front and back
  • blind spot warning
  • adaptive cruise
  • good hand-free phone button on steering wheel (via bluetooth to your smartphone)
  • navigation
  • lane departure warning (it will even give a very slight nudge to get you back into your lane.)
The blind spot warning, lane departure and adaptive cruise are very good safety features.

I bought it last year as the car that should last me to what I hope are true driver-less cars in about a decade.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My spouse had her cataracts/lenses replaced with new lenses. It did not make her a better driver.

Get the newer car with some of those safety features. Certainly 2018 model years have had all the things people write about.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I think based on the schlepping requirement alone, you probably should look into something newer. For if one must schlep, it is best to schlep with a certain style.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

It's certainly wise to recognize one's abilities but it might also be encouraging to remember that, 14 years after he turned 67, Paul Newman was racing. "67 or so" need not be the beginning of the end.
GMT-8

Post by GMT-8 »

I'm a "car guy" having been in the repair business all my life. I have a couple old cars but most older people shouldn't try to eke out every last mile on an old banger. I can tell you plenty of horror stories, like driving 100 miles at night to rescue my 88 yr old father-in-law who blew up his Buick by ignoring the warning lights (and side-swiping dumpsters and parked cars).

If you can afford a new car, do it now. It's a great time to buy a new car, and the dealers and their employees will appreciate your patronage.

Your older cars are tin cans compared to what is offered today; both in keeping you on the road or safe after going off. The combination of better structure, better air bag systems, and some assisted driving features mentioned above are worth every penny.

We have a newer Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid which filled the bill for us to get long distance capability (450 mile range on gas) and daily around town electric quietness, convenience and ecological stuff (60 mile range on battery).

Happy shopping,

GMT
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

I just had cataracts done at age 68. Didn't "need" to, but I was surprised at the improvement in vision. A hassle, but not painful and worth it.

I also love our new Tesla Y. The construction of this EV supposedly makes it extremely safe, and it's good at sounding warnings, braking if you're not paying attention, and keeping you in the lane - all without the pricey full self-driving package. It has a huge back-up camera screen. The voice-controlled navigation is very good at finding stores, restaurants, etc. ("Navigate to nearest Home Depot.") It sits higher than the Model 3, making it easier to enter and exit for older drivers. And it has a power hatchback. In theory it will save money in the long run because electricity is cheaper than gas and it has far fewer moving parts for maintenance. But you ideally need a 220 outlet to charge it and there's a steep learning curve to using the screen instead of buttons. There are a zillion youtube videos with all the pros and cons of this car. So far, my wife prefers her Prius.

Good luck with your decision!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

RAV4 Hybrid would be a great choice. Practical, great gas mileage, spacious but not humongous, lots of standard safety features, should be reliable. Many seniors like the seating position of a compact SUV - just tall enough that you neither crouch down nor climb up to get in and out.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mordoch

Post by Mordoch »

One feature that has not been emphasized enough yet in the thread in my view is "auto-braking." (Or whatever the particular car manufacturer calls it, Tesla incorporates into some of its other features.)

Basically particularly if you keep the car for awhile there is a possible risk of having a medical event which suddenly disables you when driving. The car potentially stopping or at least slowing down instead of going into something at a higher speed obviously is an important difference so I would really make this a priority. (It also helps if you reflexes are slowing down and you are looking the wrong way when something happens.) Obviously such a feature is not perfect, but it one that really has allot of potential value in my view with your situation and is getting increasingly common with new cars, but not everyone has it in everything yet, and if you were to buy a 2 year old used car the feature would be even more spotty.

Edited: Fixed a potentially amusing typo.
Last edited by Mordoch on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have a 2018 Subaru that has auto-braking and all the other things mentioned in this thread. Also it has rear cross-traffic/pedestrian warning / braking.

I don't want a vehicle that automatically breaks though. Is that when it knows the warranty expired yesterday? That would be bad.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

If you are regularly hauling that many people around, it would seem you might need a three row vehicle.

I know about hauling grandchildren around. I had to have a special order three seat bench seat with lap and shoulder belts installed in my van. Had to keep them safe.

My father's last vehicle was a Chevy Caprice. Huge car, and he was shrinking by the year.

Good luck. Maybe you can gift your current car to the family members who do not own a car and reduce your taxi driving efforts.

And, yeah, take care of your eyes and be willing to stop driving when you should. After my father died, the state finally got around to asking him come in for a driving test. We had turned him in, but had finally grounded him after a state trooper caught him driving very slow on US1. He didn't agree, with the trooper, so he went out again, and the same trooper caught him a second time, same night, and also followed him home like the first time. We took his keys away. He was very POed, but, he got over it. We were grateful for the trooper making sure he got home OK, twice!

Don't be like him.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

MathWizard wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:26 pm As a fellow "old person", I like my comforts too. My 2017 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid fits me well.
Very comfortable 6 way leather from seats seats. Will fit 5, but most comfortable with 4.
I bought it 2 years old at $25K and it has all the bells and whistles:
  • backup camera
  • heated/cooled seats both front and back
  • blind spot warning
  • adaptive cruise
  • good hand-free phone button on steering wheel (via bluetooth to your smartphone)
  • navigation
  • lane departure warning (it will even give a very slight nudge to get you back into your lane.)
The blind spot warning, lane departure and adaptive cruise are very good safety features.

I bought it last year as the car that should last me to what I hope are true driver-less cars in about a decade.
02nz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:58 pm RAV4 Hybrid would be a great choice. Practical, great gas mileage, spacious but not humongous, lots of standard safety features, should be reliable. Many seniors like the seating position of a compact SUV - just tall enough that you neither crouch down nor climb up to get in and out.
We actually have both of these cars - a 2017 Avalon (not a hybrid) and a 2020 RAV4 hybrid. I drive the Avalon, DW drives the RAV4.

The Avalon is a superb "big" car. I agree with MathWizard's comments above, plus it has a CAVERNOUS back seat - almost like a limosine.

DW loves the RAV4. Its seat is much higher off the ground than a sedan, which makes it easier to get in and out of - but not as far off the ground as a full-sized SUV like the Highlander.

We love all the modern bells and whistles compared to our prior cars, which were pre-2010.

Figure out what your primary need is, and get a car to meet that need. You wouldn't go wrong with either a RAV4 or an Avalon.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Watty

Post by Watty »

I am just a few years younger than you.

I had an eight year old 2010 Honda Fit with 80K milks that I was planning to keep it around ten years since that is about how long I normally keep cars. I went on and replaced it a couple of years early with a new 2018 Corolla mainly to get get the new advanced safety features and it has most of them. The 2010 Fit did not have ESC so that was also and incentive to go on and upgrade for safety.

The Fit was a great commuter car but once I retired I did not need a commuter car anymore.

I'm glad I upgraded and the Corolla is a lot more comfortable for road trips.

Some sort or random comments;

The headlights on the Fit were never that great, and I even saw that mentioned in reviews. The headlights on the Corolla are noticeably better and that helps with night driving. It also has automatic headlights that do a good job of automatically switching between the high and low beam. There is a lot of safety information out there about headlights that you may want to research since they have improved headlight designs and some LED headlights may be a lot better than what you have now.

Some people find the lane departure warning beep a bit annoying. When I first started driving the Corolla it would occasionally beep but that feedback has made me a better driver and it will rarely beep now.

I have only had the collision avoidance audible sound trigger a couple of times and I think that I would have been OK without it but at least once it may have helped me avoid hitting another car that stopped suddenly. This was one time when I was exiting a grocery store to merge into fast moving traffic and just as I was accelerating to get up to speed the car in front of me braked because traffic was backed up.

I really like the rear view camera but some car models now don't have great visibility because the designer is depending on you using that a lot. Be sure to carefully check out different car models visibility carefully when you are looking at cars, some of them are not very good now.

They have gradually up-sized cars so my Corolla is almost the same size as an early 2000s Camry that I had. It is not huge but it feels large enough to me. My Fit was great for hauling stuff but not as great for people. Three people in the back seat of the Corolla would be tight but more doable than in the Fit.

Since I am not commuting buying a hybrid did not seem to make sense for me.

The Corolla is our primary car for road trips so an electric car would not have worked for us.

I was used to driving a Honda Fit but now when I see one I am amazed at how small it is. For car safety in an accident size does make a difference.

You might consider if handing down your Fit to one of your kids that does not have a car would make sense.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Just want to say that your ophthalmologist is a hoot!

I am not sure from your post if you currently have 2 vehicles or not — do you still have the Civic?

Assuming that you only infrequently need to haul around more than 5 people and only have one car, what about keeping the Fit and buying a vehicle that comfortably seats 5? Then you have the ability to drive everyone, albeit in more than one vehicle, but aren’t saddled driving more car than you need on a day-to-day basis.

My favorite new safety feature is blind spot detection. I would not buy a vehicle without it.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

livesoft wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:12 pm I have a 2018 Subaru that has auto-braking and all the other things mentioned in this thread. Also it has rear cross-traffic/pedestrian warning / braking.

I don't want a vehicle that automatically breaks though. Is that when it knows the warranty expired yesterday? That would be bad.
Lmao. To the OP: some great options nowadays. Look at the Kias and Hyundais as well as the old guard Toyotas and Hondas. I love driving with all the safety features. I no longer need to rotate drivers every couple of hours. Its that easy with adaptive cruise, lane warning, partial self driving etc
Buy Low, Sell High
squirm

Post by squirm »

Don't buy the Tesla. you can buy a plugin hybrid get all the tax credits, go anywhere but still drive on electric for a fraction of the price.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

A Tesla with autopilot has a lot to recommend it to older drivers. As your reflexes fade, its reflexes will only get better. :D

It is probably the safest car on the planet. You can tell yourself that's why you bought it as you grin from ear to ear. lol :sharebeer
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Ouch!!! You had to mention the Nissan 1987 van? Unfortunately, we had one. For those that don’t know/remember, Nissan was forced to either buy back all of these vans or provide an additional 100,000 mile warranty due to an issue with engines overheating, which caused a number of these to catch on fire. That was a real problem as these were mid-engine vans! Nissan was required to crush all of the returned vehicles. Ours was one of them.

As others have mentioned already, Toyota offers a number of hybrid vehicles that might meet your needs. These include Corolla, Camry, Rav4 and Avalon. The hybrid versions of these vehicles generally run $2,500 - $3,500 more than the gasoline versions. Unless the cost of gas goes up dramatically, the better deal would be to purchase a strictly gas-powered vehicle. If your intent is to go “green” by using less gas, please forget I even mentioned the cost difference. I own the Lexus hybrid equivalent of the Avalon and love it. Lots of space for up to 5 adults, uses regular unleaded fuel, and averages 40 miles per gallon.

There is a lot of interest in the just released 2021 Rav4 Prime, which is a plug-in hybrid. It appears, however, that only a limited amount (5,000 at most) of these will be available in the U.S. this year.

Teslas are nice. The Model 3 fits in your price range.

I have two older siblings who swear by their Subaru Forrester’s. Easy to get in and out of, good space, and good in snowy conditions we encounter in New England.

I wish you great success in your search!

pahkcah
Topic Author
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

What a lot to think about!

I am leaning toward the idea of buying sooner rather than later for safety reasons. Yeah, I know we're not OLD, but I like to be prepared for what is going to be. At 50, I sold the house and moved into an accessible apartment near everything so that when the day comes when we can't drive, we won't have to.

Can't have two cars, we live in Brooklyn, and not the part with the driveways.

Oh, that Nissan Van; it had a combination fridge/oven in the front. It was a great feature. But yeah, when we got it back with the "improved" engine, it came with a video that told you that if the alarm on the dash went off, "you should exit the car quickly". The video shows a lovely family jumping nimbly from the car as it rolls away down the highway. My then 10 year old son burst into tears.

One wrinkle, my DH is not happy with the ideas of these safety features. He seems to think that something is being wrested from him.

Thanks for all the great advice!
dbr

Post by dbr »

Two features of importance are ease of vision to the outside and ease of exit and entry.

I was car shopping in 2015 and based on checking ratings for those two properties the highest recommended choice was the Subaru Forrester. I got very frustrated with how difficult it was to see out, beside and behind, with the sedan designs now on the market. And the compact SUV style tends to be a best match of seat and step-in height from ground to seat.

Having got that far it turns out I preferred the Outback to the Forrester, but really half of one on the above issues.

Now that I am familiar with backup camera, backup cross traffic warning, side traffic warning, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, forward collision braking, etc., I would not be without them.

It doesn't have to be a Subaru, but you will probably appreciate the overall types of design and feature I am describing.

Also, even at our age and with less driving and often around town, having a vehicle weight not in the bottom half of the weight range is a good safety feature. Severity and probability of injury or death in a collision is roughly inversely proportional to vehicle weight, averaged over all other factors. The knee in the curve is somewhere around 3000 lbs. Cars smaller than that are not a good idea, fuel economy notwithstanding. Of course the less you drive the less fuel economy matters but also the less you drive in any car the less the chances of being killed or injured.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

One of my friends was looking to buy a new car some years ago. He was talking with me as I tend to be the "go to" car guy in our group. I asked him to tell me what he needed in a car. He was stressed that his family was coming from over seas for the summer and needed something to bring them places. I asked him to count out all the people, including his family. By the time he was done, there were 17. I then recommended that he either start looking into rentals for family groups, which is what he did. He ended up NOT getting a new car at all. I think I mentioned something about buying a used school bus, sarcastically. He got it and created a good solution. The relatives did come and they appreciated that when some wanted to see the Boston aquarium and the others wanted to go to the beach, they all could go do what they wanted and wouldn't have to take the "tour bus" to someplace they didn't want to go.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I am getting more focused on what my actual "needs" are--improved safety and comfort, including better headlights (looking at the ratings on the IIHS website has been a revelation!).

Having a somewhat bigger backseat for my various kids and grandkids is a "want", not a need.

Still thinking hard about the power hatch (Costco shopping makes me envious of those who have) and those heated seats...on cold Winter mornings, I think this would be wonderful, although remote start might solve that problem.

DH has admitted that better headlamps and a built-in, real-time navigation system would be something to be desired.

Thanks again!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

livesoft wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 pm My spouse had her cataracts/lenses replaced with new lenses. It did not make her a better driver.

Get the newer car with some of those safety features. Certainly 2018 model years have had all the things people write about.

Yes we recently got a 2019 Mazda and a 2020 Honda and the safety features are very helpful.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Topic Author
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 pm My spouse had her cataracts/lenses replaced with new lenses. It did not make her a better driver.

Yes we recently got a 2019 Mazda and a 2020 Honda and the safety features are very helpful.
What models, if I might ask?
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

We have a 2015 Subaru with the afore-mentiuoned driver assists (safety features). Love it. I'm 83, still doing well behind the wheel. Had cataract surgery about 5 years ago, and should mention the biggest reason was not that visual acuity dropped, but the glare at night! Especially on wet roads.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

did not read the other posts, but we are 68 and 66, post cataract surgeries. We bought a 2015 Explorer in 2015, sold it for a 2013 Tahoe in 2017. Way too many bells and whistles and annoying stuff. I drive a 2007 Lexus ES 250. As long as you don't have blind spots, and stay off the phone, you are good. I see more young idiots looking down at their phones now more than ever. We learned to drive when they truly taught drivers ed.
We live in Houston Texas where big trucks rule, so we appreciate the Tahoe being higher off the ground. Don't waste money on something that you might use to cart people around. They can rent.
dbr

Post by dbr »

RudyS wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm We have a 2015 Subaru with the afore-mentiuoned driver assists (safety features). Love it. I'm 83, still doing well behind the wheel. Had cataract surgery about 5 years ago, and should mention the biggest reason was not that visual acuity dropped, but the glare at night! Especially on wet roads.
My eye doctor actually has a test for that. It is a night driving scene with things to read/identify with lights shining in your eyes alongside. It is one of the problems old eyes can have.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Your post is screaming the new 2021 Toyota Venza to me. A Highlander would work as well. Rav4 might work and is a popular taxi choice in NYC, but it might be too small to comfortably haul 5 people around and have enough room in the hatch for all your stuff. But, I still say Venza.... I don't think pricing has been announced yet.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

dbr wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:58 pm
RudyS wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm We have a 2015 Subaru with the afore-mentiuoned driver assists (safety features). Love it. I'm 83, still doing well behind the wheel. Had cataract surgery about 5 years ago, and should mention the biggest reason was not that visual acuity dropped, but the glare at night! Especially on wet roads.
My eye doctor actually has a test for that. It is a night driving scene with things to read/identify with lights shining in your eyes alongside. It is one of the problems old eyes can have.
I believe Medicare has criteria for how poor vision must be to justify cataract surgery. My visual acuity was not poor enough, but my glare sensitivity did it, and there was a similar test. I was almost ready to give up night driving.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Criteria:
No blind spots.
360 degree camera view
Proximity alerts all around when parking etc
Lane change proximity alarm

Alert spouse or SO navigator and “Loud Vocal” (yelling) proximity alarm.😳

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:35 pm Criteria:
No blind spots.
360 degree camera view
Proximity alerts all around when parking etc
Lane change proximity alarm

Alert spouse or SO navigator and “Loud Vocal” (yelling) proximity alarm.😳

j🌺
A bike.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

The new driver assist features are great - I really wish my mother had taken my advice and gotten a vehicle with more of them as her driving has gotten a bit worse (per my wife). We've rented cars with driver assist features and they are pretty amazing - I'm approaching 40, and they have so much value in terms of safety and can help in reducing travel fatigue so much that they're almost a must-have if you're looking at something in a vehicle past a basic transportation platform.

Commonly found driver assist technology -
Blind-spot monitoring/Back-up cameras/360 degree views
Parking assist (some will do parallel parking for you - as in actually park the car for you when you hit a button)
Adaptive cruise control
Lane monitoring/lane assist
Emergency braking
Proximity Alerts
Night vision stuff
In-Dash navigation (typically requires either a separate service charge or connecting to your smartphone)
Vehicle monitoring (ie like OnStar)

There's probably a couple I'm leaving off, but those are all pretty great IMO. You should really take them for a few test drives and read online reviews though - just because a car manufacturer offers the system, doesn't mean it works great or isn't annoying. Your best bet would be to cast a wide-net in term of models, look at them in-person to narrow your list, then start comparing specific features/likes dislikes in-depth.

There's also the higher level driver assist systems - almost like an autopilot - ie Tesla's Autopilot...and, if you drive on the highway much (or want to be safer on the highway) - GM/Cadillac's Super Cruise. Super Cruise is pretty amazing as a package - it's a bit hard to find though since they only had it on a single model until this year. ArsTechnica has a pretty great article on why it is pretty neat (https://arstechnica.com/search/?ie=UTF-8&q=super+cruise for all of them, but the 2/22/18 article is good to start). You can find Super Cruise on the Cadillac CT6 (2017+). It's standard on any Platinum model if I recall, and an option on the Premium Luxury. There's used ones with decent mileage in your price range on Cars.com. Oh, the CT6 is a full sized luxury car, so it might fit your needs for size & comfort.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:38 pm
tennisplyr wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 pm

What models, if I might ask?
Mazda CX-5 and Honda Civic Hatchback
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

RudyS wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:26 pm
dbr wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:58 pm
I believe Medicare has criteria for how poor vision must be to justify cataract surgery. My visual acuity was not poor enough, but my glare sensitivity did it, and there was a similar test. I was almost ready to give up night driving.
I cannot think of anyone who wants to have a cataract surgery for any reason other than a medical necessity. Only basic monofocal IOL is covered by insurance including Medicare. Additional cost of Multifocal, accommodating or Toric lenses are 100% out of pocket.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

The safety features are worth the money.
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:44 pm and those heated seats...on cold Winter mornings, I think this would be wonderful
Heated seats are wonderful! I’m hoping for a heated steering wheel in my next car.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

brajalle wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:57 pm The new driver assist features are great - I really wish my mother had taken my advice and gotten a vehicle with more of them as her driving has gotten a bit worse (per my wife). We've rented cars with driver assist features and they are pretty amazing - I'm approaching 40, and they have so much value in terms of safety and can help in reducing travel fatigue so much that they're almost a must-have if you're looking at something in a vehicle past a basic transportation platform.

Commonly found driver assist technology -
Blind-spot monitoring/Back-up cameras/360 degree views
Parking assist (some will do parallel parking for you - as in actually park the car for you when you hit a button)
Adaptive cruise control
Lane monitoring/lane assist
Emergency braking
Proximity Alerts
Night vision stuff
In-Dash navigation (typically requires either a separate service charge or connecting to your smartphone)
Vehicle monitoring (ie like OnStar)

There's probably a couple I'm leaving off, but those are all pretty great IMO. You should really take them for a few test drives and read online reviews though - just because a car manufacturer offers the system, doesn't mean it works great or isn't annoying. Your best bet would be to cast a wide-net in term of models, look at them in-person to narrow your list, then start comparing specific features/likes dislikes in-depth.

There's also the higher level driver assist systems - almost like an autopilot - ie Tesla's Autopilot...and, if you drive on the highway much (or want to be safer on the highway) - GM/Cadillac's Super Cruise. Super Cruise is pretty amazing as a package - it's a bit hard to find though since they only had it on a single model until this year. ArsTechnica has a pretty great article on why it is pretty neat (https://arstechnica.com/search/?ie=UTF-8&q=super+cruise for all of them, but the 2/22/18 article is good to start). You can find Super Cruise on the Cadillac CT6 (2017+). It's standard on any Platinum model if I recall, and an option on the Premium Luxury. There's used ones with decent mileage in your price range on Cars.com. Oh, the CT6 is a full sized luxury car, so it might fit your needs for size & comfort.
Outstanding!
Thanks for taking the time to post this.

DW and I are shopping for a new car/suv as well.
Mahalo!
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Re car safety. I realized a few years ago that my reflexes are not what they once were and certainly would only get worse over time. This came into focus last year while in SFO we rented a Rav 4 with the safety features our car didn't have. What a eye opener! Driving it for 5 days and getting used to the little nudges and alerts reminded me that even as much as I thought I was focused, there are times where one can become distracted and a accident could occur.

We were looking at newer vehicles anyway and after a bit of research we recently decided on the 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid as it fit our overall needs of safety features, comfort, ease of access, reliability, etc. and couldn't be happier. As a bonus, even getting in and out of our single stall garage is much easier with the cameras and proximity sensors!
Topic Author
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

On looking at the IIHS website, the feature that I find really attractive are the Adaptive Headlights (AFS). Right now there are limited trims that have this feature on many of the vehicles were considering.

Thanks for all the great information!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:44 pm DH has admitted that better headlamps and a built-in, real-time navigation system would be something to be desired.
Just about any new car will have Android Auto and CarPlay. And I find using that with Google Maps/Apple Maps much better than any factory navigation system I've used.
Topic Author
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

02nz wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:24 am
BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:44 pm DH has admitted that better headlamps and a built-in, real-time navigation system would be something to be desired.
Just about any new car will have Android Auto and CarPlay. And I find using that with Google Maps/Apple Maps much better than any factory navigation system I've used.
So, I need an explanation on this. When we use our phones (Google Maps, etc) we don't get real time traffic info. Does having Android Auto make real time possible?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 am
02nz wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:24 am
So, I need an explanation on this. When we use our phones (Google Maps, etc) we don't get real time traffic info. Does having Android Auto make real time possible?
You should get real time traffic data on Google Maps, regardless of whether you are using Android Auto, as long as you have cell data. In fact it will sometimes pop up a notice to say it has found a faster route based on current traffic conditions. You may have disabled cell data for that app or some other setting.
egrets

Post by egrets »

A year ago I finally got rid of my ancient car and went through upgrade shock trying new cars.

The features I miss about my old car are:

a bigger trunk easier to put a tarp in and haul several bags of soil in from the big box store. I can still do it in the new car, but it is more work.

bench seats as it is so much easier not to mess getting stuff in and out with a darn over that console thing in the middle.

not a million extra controls I have no need for.

What I like in the new car is:

it is much easier to get in and out of.

parking alerts, especially when parking in the garage no craning around to be sure I am far enough in.

What I wish it had:

backup marked video of safe area. This is the one safety item I covet.
Topic Author
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

egrets wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:47 am A year ago I finally got rid of my ancient car and went through upgrade shock trying new cars.

a bigger trunk easier to put a tarp in and haul several bags of soil in from the big box store. I can still do it in the new car, but it is more work.

bench seats as it is so much easier not to mess getting stuff in and out with a darn over that console thing in the middle.

parking alerts, especially when parking in the garage no craning around to be sure I am far enough in.

What I wish it had:

Egrets, thanks for the details! May I ask what you ultimately bought?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 amSo, I need an explanation on this. When we use our phones (Google Maps, etc) we don't get real time traffic info. Does having Android Auto make real time possible?
The Android Auto I use does use Google Maps which gives some interesting real-time traffic info. I recall one time I'm driving on the interstate here in Texas at the 80 mph speed limit and Google Maps pops up an indicator that there is a state trooper ahead. At that exact moment all the cars around me hit their brakes even though we were going the speed limit and there was no reason to slow down at all. My conclusion was that all the cars around me were using Google maps, too, and overreacted.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Despite my car having Navigation (Subaru), I prefer to use my Android phone. I use the Google Drive app, which I think gets the same info as Google Maps for directions. Google Drive sometimes needs to remind me that I have to have Location Services turned on.
delamer

Post by delamer »

egrets wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:47 am A year ago I finally got rid of my ancient car and went through upgrade shock trying new cars.

What I wish it had:

Would you elaborate on the parking alert feature?

The garage in our new house is a tight fit for our cars (length and width), and it sounds like that might be a good option for our next replacement vehicle. But I thought the alert was based on the vehicle sensing an obstruction?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

RudyS wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:04 am Despite my car having Navigation (Subaru), I prefer to use my Android phone. ....
Yep, the stock navigation in a Subaru cannot even figure out how to navigate to nearby Subaru dealers. Fail.