Looking for a $500 new office chair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Looking for a $500 new office chair

Post by BogleMelon »

Since I started WFH (setting for 8-10 hours a day), and my poor chair (even with extra caution) is giving me bad tailbone pain (nothing wrong medically, at least not yet, my doctor cleared that).
After reading a lot of posts here and on other forums, I concluded that Aeron chairs are the way to go, but I am not willing to pay $1300 for a chair especially that I could go back to work from office after the pandemic/vaccine.
I then went to look for a used one within the range of $400. It had to be a local one (no eBay) so I can inspect and try it. I found a local dealer, at first I thought they just resell used chairs, but when I went there I found that it is a huge refurbished place that replacing genuine chair components with aftermarket pieces.
I then decided to not buy a refurbished chair, even if it is Aeron, but at the same time, I can't find a used one where I live!

Please suggest a $500 range chair (brand new) since the hassle of finding a good used Aeron seems not an option for now. Also, was I right not to buy a $400 refurbished "basic-not even fully loaded" Aeron chair due to the fear of unknown parts being inside it?

Edit: DW found on Facebook market place a good Aeron from someone who is cleaning his home. I went to see it and bought it. It is size C, very clean (yet probably old, not newer than 15 years old, I could tell because the arms has the wheel not the handle to adjust, and those are the classic ones I guess). I paid $375 and I think I started already to like the chair.

Edit2: The chair is fully loaded and everything is working. seems was barely used indeed.
Last edited by BogleMelon on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
bogledogle

Re: Looking for a $500 new office chair

Post by bogledogle »

Following. I need to buy one too!
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I have a refurbished Aeron. There's nothing terribly complex about them and I've been able to find parts online as needed (it turned out that I just needed to tighten something, not replace it). You can take one completely apart with a hex key. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if the place seems legit and has good reviews. Have you searched for office supply stores in your area? In my neck of the woods, there's a number of large warehouse style places selling tons of used ones. I paid around $500 for mine but that was a few years ago.
ahoffme

Post by ahoffme »

I bought a Steelcase Think chair at the start of Covid wfh and have not regretted it one bit. It was closer to $800 directly from Steelcase.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

The coolest chair in my office is a gigantic bean bag.

Groovy
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jules

Post by jules »

Steelcase Amia. $700 new, $200 nearly-new from Craigslist if you're patient. Super comfortable, well-built, tons of adjustments, not flashy or weird looking. https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/amia/

One of my former employers (a large multinational) bought Steelcase chairs for employees in certain offices and we all loved them. I've used both the Leap and the Amia for years and loved them both. If you find one with extra lumbar support, grab that.

Favorite feature: the seat slides forward a bit to support long legs.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

BogleMelon wrote: ↑Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:29 pm Since I started WFH (setting for 8-10 hours a day), and my poor chair (even with extra caution) is giving me bad tailbone pain (nothing wrong medically, at least not yet, my doctor cleared that).
After reading a lot of posts here and on other forums, I concluded that Aeron chairs are the way to go, but I am not willing to pay $1300 for a chair especially that I could go back to work from office after the pandemic/vaccine.
I then went to look for a used one within the range of $400. It had to be a local one (no eBay) so I can inspect and try it. I found a local dealer, at first I thought they just resell used chairs, but when I went there I found that it is a huge refurbished place that replacing genuine chair components with aftermarket pieces.
I then decided to not buy a refurbished chair, even if it is Aeron, but at the same time, I can't find a used one where I live!

Please suggest a $500 range chair (brand new) since the hassle of finding a good used Aeron seems not an option for now. Also, was I right not to buy a $400 refurbished "basic-not even fully loaded" Aeron chair due to the fear of unknown parts being inside it?
BogleMelon,

You can get an Aeron for less than $500. Check out your local Craig list. I think I bought mine for $400. I believe that it was brand new.

KlangFool
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Got my remanufactured Steelcase Leap V2 from Crandall Office in Michigan at the start of the pandemic, and couldn't be happier. Quality and service has been great, price was half of new with the same 12-year warranty as new, and custom fabric. They do other Steelcase models and also the Aeron, but are currently out of stock on the Aeron. If you're not dead set on the Aeron, they're worth a look.
Bogle7

Aeron

Post by Bogle7 »

Spend more money.
Aeron.
25 years of working from home sitting in my Aeron chair.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Following this thread too, as my office chair (from Walmart 20 something years ago) is now sinking while is frame exposed and giving me back pain. :(

Here's what I am currently considering / looking at. https://www.xchair.com/
Any thoughts / comments / reviews?

I have an Aeron chair at work. It is comfortable, but I can't see myself spending that much money for it.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

Check Craigslist and Offerup. You can get HM Aeron, Steelcase, Haworth Zody, etc. for a fraction of retail. We paid $200 for a Zody and love it. Preferred it over the Aeron, etc. Steelcase Amia was close second.
z91

Post by z91 »

There are chairs at pretty much any price point that will work. Aeron is considered one of the best, but I know people that don't like it even after getting a professional to help adjust.

I have a used Steelcase Think which I bought for $500 used. Only thing I hated was the lumbar support, so I took it out. Very important that you try out the chair you are going to spend your money on before buying it. Or buy from a place that has a very lenient (and strong track record) return policy.

I bought a 2000 5+ star rated chair from a big box store a few months ago, and after sitting on it for 30 seconds it hurt my back. So don't believe all the reviews, you have a unique body and not all chairs will be comfortable.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I like my Herman Miller Setu. $675 but they have sales twice a year that brings it to around $500 IIRC.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I clicked on this thread to tell you to consider buying a used Herman Miller Aeron. I've bought 2 over the last 3 years for about $350 total.
92irish

Post by 92irish »

I have a Knoll Life Chair - I love it. They are like $800+ new, but you can easily find one in excellent shape for around $500.

I bought mine in 2010 right after the financial crash for dirt cheap from a furniture liquidator in Brooklyn. It has Lehman Brothers etched in one of the footings. It must have been in a conference room in Manhattan. It was in beautiful shape and also has a good story too.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

I had an Aeron at the last office building and liked it. We switched buildings and I ended up with something else that I like less, and which was in fact causing a bit of sitting discomfort. However, an $8 chair pad from Wal-Mart seems to have fixed that for me, so that might be all you need.

Disclaimer: my issues were entirely with the firmness/shape of the seat - back rest and arm rests were fine. Unless your "extra caution" was supposed to be "extra cushion" in which case you've already tried my suggestion.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

lazydavid wrote: ↑Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:10 pm Got my remanufactured Steelcase Leap V2 from Crandall Office in Michigan at the start of the pandemic, and couldn't be happier. Quality and service has been great, price was half of new with the same 12-year warranty as new, and custom fabric. They do other Steelcase models and also the Aeron, but are currently out of stock on the Aeron. If you're not dead set on the Aeron, they're worth a look.
I have just taken that route and ordered the same chair from Crandall Office. Hopefully, they ship me a good chair and not a piece of junk that was heavily used. Thanks for your suggestion.
Plane changed! DW found on Facebook market place a good Aeron from someone who is cleaning his home. I went to see it and bought it. It is size C, very clean (yet probably old, not newer than 15 years old, I could tell because the arms has the wheel not the handle to adjust, and those are the classic ones I guess). I paid $375 and I think I started already to like the chair.
Last edited by BogleMelon on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Refurbished Aeron chairs. Also consider Herman Millers newer models and Humanscale and Steelcase equivalents.

Office furniture liquidators have a ton of inventory and you could even try asking your employer for furniture and or equipment. Most of it will be tossed soon.
Lambert Strether

Post by Lambert Strether »

We have been happy with a chair purchased 3 months ago from Crandall Office. The price seemed reasonable, and there were some useful options available.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

BogleMelon wrote: ↑Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:09 pm I have just taken that route and ordered the same chair from Crandall Office. Hopefully, they ship me a good chair and not a piece of junk that was heavily used. Thanks for your suggestion.
They completely rebuild them, replacing any parts that are used or warn, steam clean the foam and put on brand new upholstery, lift cylinder, arm rests and wheels. Mine was basically indistinguishable from new.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I came to the conclusion that it will be at least another 9-12 months until I go back into the office so I bought a Steelcase Leap in May. The cost was more than I would have liked to pay but it came delivered to the house by Fed Ex Ground in less than 2 weeks and I do not have the back and hip pain issues I was having in the chair I was using previously. If you can afford the new Aeron I'd recommend ordering new (watching ordering options to make sure you don't select something that stretches out delivery timeline by months).

A local used furniture store had photos of their chairs online. Most were not in good condition, needing new arm rests at a minimum and with sagging or torn netting. I think the good chairs were well picked over.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

I would go for it and spend the money on the Aeron. I have one that is 10+ years old and it is still in great condition. It's a well built product.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

Bought a used Aeron from a wholesaler after all the bankruptcies following 2000. So about 19 years ago. ThInk I paid 400-500. It’s been durable and very comfortable. Extremely adjustable. Still very happy and would Strongly recommend it.
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

If you are determined to get a new chair, the Ergohuman chair with headrest is about $600 and is the cheapest of the actually good chairs.

I had one for a decade. It was not as good as an Aeron, and not as good as a Steelcase Leap, but I like it better than the Humanscale chairs, and you should be able to find one with the headrest pretty close to your price point

But, I'd advise you to spend more money, honestly.

Also consider getting a sit/stand desk. I couldn't survive the WFH life without mine. There are tons out there, but I have the Jarvis desk by Fully, and I've been extremely happy with it. I've had it for 3 years, and it still works well. You can get one for around $600.

I stand for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon (or however long feels good, but generally about that long). Having a standing desk literally changed my life.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

I bought and returned an Aeron maybe 10+ years ago since I didn't find it comfortable.

We recently bought a second Herman Miller Sayl chair. My wife and I picked that chair last year as one we both found comfortable during a prior sale. Herman Miller had a discount for healthcare workers a couple months ago and we ordered a 2nd one for our other desk.

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/s ... yl-chairs/
jjface

Post by jjface »

Do people really buy $500 chairs :P
MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

lazydavid wrote: ↑Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:10 pm Got my remanufactured Steelcase Leap V2 from Crandall Office in Michigan at the start of the pandemic, and couldn't be happier. Quality and service has been great, price was half of new with the same 12-year warranty as new, and custom fabric. They do other Steelcase models and also the Aeron, but are currently out of stock on the Aeron. If you're not dead set on the Aeron, they're worth a look.
+1 for Crandall office furniture. High quality chair, quick shipping, fantastic service and reasonably priced. Steelcase 482 Amia Office Chair is a good alternative to the Aeron chair.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

$500? I bought one for $113 from Amazon, pretty damn good! I can't imagine spending $500 on a chair :shock:
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

stocknoob4111 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:19 pm $500? I bought one for $113 from Amazon, pretty damn good! I can't imagine spending $500 on a chair :shock:
Me neither, but I don't have back pain or other physical issues. I truly hope to not have any, but I can certainly sympathize with those who need a special chair.
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

The first two listed on this page are great and sub $400.I have the Pursuit and love it. Watch the little video, the chair moves back with you when you lean back. Love the head rest. The J3 competes with the Aeron. This is a great dealer for ergonomic chairs, Sit stand desks, etc. they sometimes have open box specials, so check that as well. I have a Steelcase Leap and like the Pursuit better.

https://www.thehumansolution.com/mesh-chairs.html
brianH

Post by brianH »

jjface wrote: ↑Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:46 pm Do people really buy $500 chairs :P
Not sure if you think that's cheap or expensive. If it's the latter, $500-$1000 for a chair is a bargain considering, since I work from home, I probably spend more time in my office chair than any other piece of furniture (bed included). People drop thousands on a couch that doesn't see half the use, and an Aeron chair will last 20 years no problem. Mine has.

Similar to the OP, Aeron chairs are the only thing that don't aggravate my tailbone. I bought mine used about 10 years ago, and it was about 8 years old at that time. Not sure if they still do it, but I had a small issue with mine after I got it, and HM sent me replacement parts free of charge. Even though I was the second owner, the chair has a 10 year warranty with no questions asked.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

When I started working from home in 2014, I had a crappy office chair. I did permanent damage that I can NEVER fix due to not springing for a good office chair out of the gates. It's nothing life changing but I can't sit on any soft cushion for anything longer than 15 minutes before it starts hurting. I ended up finding an Aeron on Craigslist for $425.

I would encourage you to dig deeper into the used market to find an Aeron, and if you can't find one used, to just spring for the new one. Your health is worth more than a few hundred dollars and you're already experiencing negative consequences.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

brianH wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:14 pm
Not sure if you think that's cheap or expensive. If it's the latter, $500-$1000 for a chair is a bargain considering, since I work from home, I probably spend more time in my office chair than any other piece of furniture (bed included). People drop thousands on a couch that doesn't see half the use, and an Aeron chair will last 20 years no problem. Mine has.

Similar to the OP, Aeron chairs are the only thing that don't aggravate my tailbone. I bought mine used about 10 years ago, and it was about 8 years old at that time. Not sure if they still do it, but I had a small issue with mine after I got it, and HM sent me replacement parts free of charge. Even though I was the second owner, the chair has a 10 year warranty with no questions asked.
Thanks for confirming that it is good to the tailbone, some bloggers said otherwise and I have just bought a used Aeron but started to worry. Your post gave me some relief till I can figure out myself after setting for hours
Bfwolf wrote: ↑Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:22 pm When I started working from home in 2014, I had a crappy office chair. I did permanent damage that I can NEVER fix due to not springing for a good office chair out of the gates. It's nothing life changing but I can't sit on any soft cushion for anything longer than 15 minutes before it starts hurting. I ended up finding an Aeron on Craigslist for $425.

I would encourage you to dig deeper into the used market to find an Aeron, and if you can't find one used, to just spring for the new one. Your health is worth more than a few hundred dollars and you're already experiencing negative consequences.
Thanks, I ended up buying a used Aeron. I am trying now to cancel another Crandall Office order for Leap V2 (hope they don't give me hard time)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Believe it or not that is likely far less than the cost of the chairs most of us are sitting on in our offices. I have an aeron at work, I guess it is OK but there is zero chance I am spending that kind of money for WFH. My kitchen table chair, my couch, or even my bed has done just fine for the wife and I since March.