Does anyone use Ting Internet or mobile?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kompass

Does anyone use Ting Internet or mobile?

Post by Kompass »

Ting fiber internet is expanding their footprint nationally and now it is available in my town. I currently use Spectrum cable internet and it is mediocre at best. I am considering upgrading to the fiber and would like input from others that may have experience with fiber optic networks and/or Ting as an Internet provider. Most of what I could find about them on the Internet was about their mobile services and that looks interesting to me as well, this fall I will be doing a hardware update on mobile devices so if folks have experience with their mobile services I would be interested in hearing about that too.

The fiber network would cost me $20 a month more then what I currently pay but it looks like I could save easily that much by switching to them as a mobile provider also from my current Verizon mobile account.

Thoughts?
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
Blake7

Re: Does anyone use Ting Internet or mobile?

Post by Blake7 »

We’ve been Ting Mobile for almost 5 years and love them. Our average monthly bill is <$50 total for 3 phones. Great customer service and choice of 3 major cell networks (all but AT&T). I like them as a company (they are owned by Tucows) and how they treat their customers. I would seriously consider their Internet if it ever became available in our area. My other top choice for an Internet provider would be Sonic, but they are also regional like Ting, and not available where I live.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Blake7 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 am We’ve been Ting Mobile for almost 5 years and love them. Our average monthly bill is <$50 total for 3 phones. Great customer service and choice of 3 major cell networks (all but AT&T). I like them as a company (they are owned by Tucows) and how they treat their customers. I would seriously consider their Internet if it ever became available in our area. My other top choice for an Internet provider would be Sonic, but they are also regional like Ting, and not available where I live.
Tucows, that's a name I haven't heard in 25 years, they stole a shareware distributor name, the winsock days of the internet, lol. Commander Keen would not be happy about this.
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

I have Ting for mobile. You pay by the tier. So for a month, say, 0-100 mins is a certain amount, 101-250 is a little more, etc. I use what I want when I want and I pay either $26 or $32 a month 90% of the time. Once when I moved I was without internet for a week so was using my phone as a mobile hotspot and still streaming video and what not and it came to $60 for the month. I have no issues with their customer service.

The only problem I've had is spottier coverage. It's fine in or near any major cities and along major highways but I've been places where other people all have cell service and I do not--and not just out in the boonies, but at the Miami cruise port, which is on its own little island a short bridge drive from the mainland, as one example. A previous poster said you could choose your network so perhaps I should look into that (and you, too, if you go with them) but those occasional issues have been the only drawback. 99% of the time I am a happy, satisfied customer.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I've had Ting mobile for about 5 years and love them. My monthly bill (one phone) is between 18-26 dollars. I use very little data. Good service, and very nice people.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Another +1 on ting mobile. I'm currently using them w/ a SIM for the T-mobile network, previously used a Sprint phone with them. Been very happy, good customer service (at least a few years ago I got straight through to a person and got help) when I've needed it. I don't use much data outside the home (and barely any now that I telework) so the bills are cheap.

Just this week the mobile side of Ting was bought by Dish. Apparently Ting's backend and infrastructure will be used for Dish's mobile network, so I'm hoping things stay the same. I've read good and bad about Dish, but honestly can't say I trust them any less than Verizon, AT&T, etc. We'll see?

Oh, and I believe this is the same Tucows that ran the shareware / freeware download sites back when!
Topic Author
Kompass

Post by Kompass »

Well I spoke to Ting and unfortunately they would only handle my phone. Since most of my cellular use is on my watch or tablet the mobile service will not be useful to me.

I did put myself on the list to have a technician come out and assess my home for the fiber Internet. Apparently they’re still finishing wiring the town And will look at individual homes when that portion is complete.

The people I spoke to in customer service were great!

Thanks for everybody’s input. :beer
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.