Portable AC/dehumidifier

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nydoc

Portable AC/dehumidifier

Post by nydoc »

Hi,
We just moved into a new rental house with a finished basement which lacks heating or cooling. Do you have any suggestions about a combined portable air conditioner and dehumidifier for the basement?
Thanks.
random_walker_77

Re: Portable AC/dehumidifier

Post by random_walker_77 »

a/c's do dehumidify. Do you have a window in this basement? Portable a/c's pump heat and you need a window so that this heat gets pumped outside. Some also operate as heaters to pump heat in (when it's cool, but not freezing outside).

Also, does the basement have a drain? While most of the moisture goes out the window with the exhaust, usually there's some that accumulates in the device and which needs to gravity-drain into a floor drain.

If you buy a portable unit, make sure to get a dual-hose unit. The single hose units work by taking room air and pumping it outside to cool off the radiator. This means that outdoor air gets sucked into your house to replace the air that's been blown out the window.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Like This.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Are you sure you need A/C? Hot air rises so if the rest of the house has A/C, maybe a dehumidifier would be sufficient. Anyway, I have an LG portable A/C unit that has a dehumidifier setting that I have never used. If I wanted to use the dehumidifier setting, it would require that I empty a tank that is rather awkward to remove. My dedicated dehumidifier, in another area of my house, has a hose connection that goes directly to a drain.

My A/C unit has only a single hose like the one Sandtrap showed. I had researched them and all the reviews warned against a single hose set up. This one fell into our lap as a neighbor had used it for a week while they were repairing their central air and was getting rid of it. It works surprisingly well for our purpose, though I am sure it is not as efficient or powerful as a dual hose model.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

It would be really helpful to know your state and the form of heating and/or cooling in the house upstairs. Zones? Have you been in the house long enough to fully understand what the actual needs are for the basement? I live in Northern NJ, and my basement needs dehumidification in the summer months (even though there is whole-house AC, no registers in basement), but is very cool in the summer and not really cold for most of the winter.

In Lowes and Home Depot near us, dehumdifiers mostly have built-in pumps to eject the condensate from a basement. Having owned several dehumdifiers and (past residences) window air conditioners, I suggest buying only single-purpose devices. Note that dehumidifiers cost just as much (i.e. a lot) to run as air conditioners. Like most appliances, with the pressure for low retail prices, the expected lifespan gets shorter with the passage of time.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I bought a life saver at Sam's Club this year: DeLonghi portable air conditioner. They are available in several sizes and wattages. I highly recommend it.

It's much quieter than I expected and cools a small space quickly. It's very similar to the photo that Sandtrap posted. There are similar units that also have heating functionality but I have no experience with those units.

Good luck.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Portablc AC is very expensive.

I have a dehumidifier in my basement. It empties directly into sump pump.
You would probaby need to empty yours at least once a day.

fed123

Post by fed123 »

We have a combo AC dehumidifier in the basement but the dehumidifier keeps it cool so we never have to run AC. We also drain in a sump pump. The dehumidifier does not need to have a window exhaust which is a big advantage over running AC. But hosing into a sump pump is crucial because otherwise you have to empty buckets of water.

A portable dehumidifier that does not also have an AC option will not cool your basement so I would make sure to get a unit that allows for both even if you never use the AC. The price difference is not that significant.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Colorado13 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:30 pm I bought a life saver at Sam's Club this year: DeLonghi portable air conditioner. They are available in several sizes and wattages. I highly recommend it.

It's much quieter than I expected and cools a small space quickly. It's very similar to the photo that Sandtrap posted. There are similar units that also have heating functionality but I have no experience with those units.

Good luck.
Yes, we have this - it is a few years old now and was called 'Pinguino' It's been absolutely fantastic. Highly recommend it.

We only have window a/c in our brick house. Our basement is about 900 SF and is half above ground with several glass block windows, so it can get kind of warm and doesn't stay traditionally cool. Super happy with our penguino, I install it once in the spring and take it down in the fall through a little window frame we made. It does not seem to use excessive amounts of energy, probably a central air system overall for the house would use less, but we have lots of vent/sealing problems in our house and can't optimize things anyway.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

Consider a portable Mini Split - very efficient and quiet.

Great Video https://youtu.be/BrlESvS2QjU

Costco has it in stock frequently (should be back soon).
https://www.costco.com/forestair-10%2C0 ... 55013.html