What Car Maintenance Do You Do?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Superleaf444

What Car Maintenance Do You Do?

Post by Superleaf444 »

*delete*
Last edited by Superleaf444 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilpilot

Re: What Car Maintenance Do You Do?

Post by neilpilot »

I may do more than the average, but as I’ve aged it’s more likely I’ll farm out more difficult jobs. We have 2 cars and no longer work, so if one car is being repaired and I run into an issue (I.e. need a part or tool) there’s almost never a rush to complete.

In almost every case, mail order parts are less expensive and often better quality than local retailers, so having flexible timing is an added advantage.

Most repairs do not require you to be under the car. For example, you can do a brake lining and disc replacement one wheel at a time and never be in a risky position if the car should fall. I always have a secondary support in place just in case. Usually a floor jack and an axle stand.

I can change either car’s oil and filters without getting on the ground, let alone under the car.
Last edited by neilpilot on Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

nothing.
hightower

Post by hightower »

On my 1953 Chevrolet I do everything myself. Just replaced the water pump and installed a new carb, due for an oil change and need to check a few other things.
But, on our 2020 Honda Ridgeline, I am not planning on doing anything myself. New cars are a pain to deal with, way too complicated now.
On my 2017 BMW i3, I've put 50k miles on it and so far all it's needed is a new set of tires and windshield wipers. Not a single oil change! Gotta love electric vehicles for this!
Honestly, for anyone that's hesitant about doing their own car maintenance, I highly recommend you at least consider switching to an electric vehicle. Far fewer moving parts means far less maintenance over time. And no oil changes:)
Last edited by hightower on Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I basically do nothing except make sure the windshield washer fluid is filled, replace the windshield wiper blades as needed, make sure the tires have air pressure, replace the battery when it fails, and replace burnt out bulbs.

Things I don't do: oil and filter change. Also, I tend to ignore dealer recommended stuff unless they do it for free.

What car did you get?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Air Filters (Cabin and engine)
Windshield Wipers
Fluid Refills
Part replacement, mostly interior (think stereos, switches, window regulators, etc)
**But also anything else easy enough to get to in the engine bay. YouTube is great.
Troubleshooting
Small electric issues, sensors, etc.
Battery Replacement
Fuses

I don't ever wash or get my car washed. It is ugly, so who cares?

That is about it.

Otherwise, I take it in for coupon $19.99 oil changes, let them tell me what is wrong and then take it to my trusted mechanic to actually fix what needs work.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I change my the engine oil in my 2013 Subaru Outback. I do not have to get under the car to drain the engine oil because I use a topsider oil extractor which uses a little tube that is inserted into the dip stick tube to suck the oil out of the engine. The oil filter on my engine is on top of the engine.

I have changed spark plugs, wires and PCV valve on my 1997 Toyota Camry - youtube videos were helpful.
Wiki
illumination

Post by illumination »

I used to do a lot (I even had a car lift like a shop) as I would have project cars , but I decided to buy newer cars so I haven't had to as much. Now it's things like brakes, car battery, oil changes, air filters, some light suspension work.

YouTube is a great resource, also online forums that specialize in the car.

For the OP that has some worry about the car falling on them while underneath, make sure you look at the owners manual for the right jack points, use jack stands and not just a hydraulic jack lift as seals can (and do) fail. Also, roll the wheel/tire you have taken off and put it under the vehicle so it will "catch" in case the vehicle falls and would allow you the space to get out. It's just an extra bit of insurance.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't do anything anymore. As I got older it got to be more of a hassle age-wise, less room under the hood, the technology got more complex, and I can afford to pay someone else. Right now I have a bad turn signal bulb, and I think I'll go to O'Reilly's, because their website says they'll install the bulb if I buy it from them.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I do everything I can.

Today, I changed the front differential fluid in our 2013 Subaru Crosstrek with a CVT transmission. Youtube is great. I had to watch several WRONG videos first before finding someone who has a clue, but they showed the right way of doing this without spending all my money on Amazon for special tools. I did need to buy an 8 mm hex socket and adapter to use my air impact gun. While I did get under the car, it was with the car on my 4 post lift, so no Harbor Freight junk jackstands to worry about.

I do all brake work, all fluid work (diffs, transmission, oil, brake, coolant, power steering, clutch), suspension work (changing springs, lift kit on the Jeep, shock changes, wear stuff like sway bar end links. Repair of failed stuff like rusted through hard lines for transmission cooler on my Fusion, rusted through lines for power steering in a Mazda 6. I did a cam sensor in my son's 350Z, replaced failed power seat switches and any light failures, which when it's easy is bulbs but is sometimes wiring problems. Repair rodent damaged wires and windshield squirters. I do all the filters and plugs and normal maintenance.

I do have a manual tire machine and will use it if I don't care about the wheel and then bubble balance. For good wheels, I'll pay for that, but I always bring in just the wheels as I don't need some clown torquing the wheels to a bazillion foot pounds, requiring wheel stud replacements next time I try to remove the wheels.

If I'm not sure what the problem is, or the job is too big, I have a good mechanic to bring the car to.

And no....I am not a mechanic. I'm an electrical engineer. I like doing most work on my cars and want it done correctly. I've used other mechanics who have often proven to not know what they're doing or didn't care to do it right and I've had to re-do all their work.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
hmw

Post by hmw »

Air filters,
Cabin filters
Windshield wipers
Engine oil and filter change
battery replacement
brake pads and rotors (done it only once so far)
serpentine belt replacement, idler pulley replacement, replacement of failing bearings in the auto tensioner.
Differential gear oil replacement
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Almost anything that can be done without specialized procedures or tools.
Recently changed the radiator and upper/lower hoses on the John Deere tractor.

However, newer cars are getting harder for DIY.

It helps if you have a shop building and a couple of rolling tool cabinets, etc.

Old gearhead.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

*delete*
Last edited by Superleaf444 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Post by hudson »

For 30-40 years I did most of the maintenance and all of the easy stuff.
I don't like the new style oil filters....some are too much trouble to get to. I haven't changed any oil in years.
Now I might swap out a battery; I might not.
Vehicles don't need as much maintenance; everything lasts longer. My plan is to hire most everything mechanical out.
I do most all maintenance and minor repairs on my mower.
We drive our vehicles about 10K miles per year, so that's one oil change and one tire rotation per year, per vehicle.
Last edited by hudson on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

Do whatever you are comfortable with. If you can change the air filters in your house or apartment, you can probable change the engine air filter, and probably the cabin air filter, in your car. If you are used to changing light bulbs in large and small house appliances, you can probably change any burnt out bulb in your car (tip: wear gloves so the oils in your fingers don’t short out a new bulb). If you are used to lubricating tools, then maybe change the oil. If you dabble in electronics, then change the fuses and work on the stereo. Instructional YouTube videos help a lot. There is no Bogleheads rule that you have to be a DIYer with your car - just find an economical and reliable way to get maintenance done.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Engine air filter
Cabin air filter
Battery*
Top off (but not replace) most fluids when necessary
Windshield wiper blades
Fuses

May attempt other items if they look quick & easy and don't require special tools.
If I have to spend more than ten minutes on YouTube to decide whether to tackle it, I don't.

* I attempt to have battery replaced before it fails. If it fails at home in a spot too inconvenient to jump it, I will replace it myself.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I don't do anything. About once a year I pay $50 or so to get the oil changed. This fall it will be time for new tires. Last set were 2013.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Superleaf444 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:50 pm
neilpilot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 pm
Most repairs do not require you to be under the car. For example, you can do a brake lining and disc replacement one wheel at a time and never be in a risky position if the car should fall. I always have a secondary support in place just in case. Usually a floor jack and an axle stand.

I can change either car’s oil and filters without getting on the ground, let alone under the car.
Yeah, I think it would be difficult to change the oil without getting under this car.

Mityvac to suck oil out dipstick.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

Air filer and wiper blades. Everything else I have a local mechanic or the dealership do and maintain it according to the owner's manual. I keep my cars as long as possible.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

I my heyday I did most things including completely replacing everything in an AC system on one car other than the evaporator. I still do a lot but when the AC went out in my most recent car I paid a mechanic. As others have noted, as I have gotten older (and cars have gotten more reliable) I do less. These days if I can do it myself in say less than four hours I'll do it, if it takes longer I'll most likely outsource the repair.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Engine air filter
Cabin air filter
Wiper blades
Tire pressure
Car wash / interior vacuum

The rest I have a local trusted mechanic.
VGisforme

Post by VGisforme »

Youtube can be very helpful, it is true that modern cars can be hard to work on with all the electronics but there is still a lot of general maintenance that can be done in your garage at home.

I do brakes (pads and rotors) but I don't change brake fluids and I usually don't change the oil. It is easier for me to buy the oil or fluids and take it to a local shop. I swap from a full set of winter wheels/tires to summer wheels/tires twice a year so brake changes can be done then if needed. If you buy your own rotors and pads it's pretty cheap and easy to do and you can also change things like the caliper slide pins if your old ones dried out or a boot was torn etc.

I also do spark plugs on my Dodge 5.7, they were needed every 30k miles and at 16 plugs it was a great way to save money and know it was done right. My new 5.7 doesn't have copper plugs anymore so not needed every 30k miles thankfully.

I'll also do simple repairs like sway bar bushings and changing out PVC and EGR valves etc.

Most more involved work like control arms etc. I'll buy online thru Rock Auto or other suppliers and have a local shop install.

You don't need a huge investment in tools, a good jack and two sets of jack stands plus a nice set of sockets and a couple torque wrenches will get most jobs done (on and a breaker bar too!)

A lot of modern brakes need the pistons twisted in while they retract, your local AutoZone or similar store can lend you the tools to do that work. Same goes for things like pickle forks and ball joint and spring tools if you want to do more suspension work.

I won't spend an hour changing the oil in my car when I can take it to a shop and have them do it for $25 (with the oil I bring) and they'll dispose of the old oil. But I will certainly do a $450 spark plug job in two hours with tools that cost me ~$60. By the 4th time I changed the spark plugs in my Dodge I was doing it way faster and those same tools where used each time. The plugs are like $1.79 each...
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I do almost all of it myself. The fear of a car falling on you is not irrational. More people should take that seriously.

There aren’t that many things I do that require me to lift the car. When I do lift the car, I never put more than my arm or shoulder underneath it. Luckily I’ve never had a car fall, but it’s always a thought in my mind.

I do oil changes, differential changes, brake jobs, tire rotations, filters, spark plugs, etc etc. luckily, cars need a whole lot less maintenance than they used too.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I have had the following done by a professional:
Tire installation and balancing
Warranty work on my one new car
Troubleshooting why an EGR valve on a Mitsubishi engine was getting repeatedly clogged (waste of money because they failed)
Repairing an catalytic converter heat shield that had learned to sing the song of its people.
Machine shop work for an engine rebuild

So unless I forgot something, everything else was done by your old pal whodidntante, including a couple of transmission repairs. Some real hoopties in my life.

Just curious, how does that help you?
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Yeah, I think it would be difficult to change the oil without getting under this car.
livesoft wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:37 pm I basically do nothing except make sure the windshield washer fluid is filled, replace the windshield wiper blades as needed, make sure the tires have air pressure, replace the battery when it fails, and replace burnt out bulbs.

Things I don't do: oil and filter change. Also, I tend to ignore dealer recommended stuff unless they do it for free.

What car did you get?
A 2012 Prius w/ 147k miles on it. Got a solid deal, but needs some upkeep.
runner3081 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 pm
I don't ever wash or get my car washed. It is ugly, so who cares?
I'm guessing you live in place that gets little snow or away from the ocean, because rustttttttt. Rust is the worst.
Yes, Arizona.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

livesoft wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:37 pm What car did you get?
A 2012 Prius w/ 147k miles on it. Got a solid deal, but needs some upkeep.
You might wish to go to the library and check out a book with a title like, "Your New Prius" or "Maintain Your Prius" or "Be a Friend to Your New Prius" and see if it has any ideas for you. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Normchad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:28 pm I do almost all of it myself. The fear of a car falling on you is not irrational. More people should take that seriously.
I so want to pull this trigger on something like this.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1459210.html
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

I do it all, try never to let anyone wrench in my vehicles. Most fun lately was a timing belt and water pump on a Honda Pilot. I did buy a special tool for $20 but saved $700. For my F150 oil changes I use a set of blocks made from 12 inch square plywood stacked together, about 8 pieces thick. Jack up front wheel, set block under tire. Repeat for other side. A floor jack and a set of jack stands are a must. Shake the heck out of the vehicle on stands before getting under it. You will learn to not be concerned, just work smart.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I'm a bit of a fanatic with keeping our SUV clean (i.e. use the two bucket approach, at least spray wax after most washes, go over it with a high speed buffer at least once per year or more often if needed).

I also change the oil, air filters (engine and passenger compartment), fuel filters (when accessible outside the fuel tank), replace belts, replace spark plugs (when reasonably accessible) and wires, change the battery, top off fluids, and rotate the tires. Anything much more than that is beyond my pay grade and worthy of professional help.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Topic Author
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

*delete*
Last edited by Superleaf444 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Superleaf444 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pm Heya,

Because of coronavirus I bought my first car in years. Always used to rely on public transit, but oh how the world has changed.

I've become more confident the older I've become to work on cars and, of course, YouTube has helped greatly. But like I said I've not owned a car in years and thinking about things that I might do. I don't have any tools and I'm trying to decide if it is the time to start purchasing them, or see how long this virus alter my commute lifestyle. I suspect it has changed longer than not, but who knows anymore.

Another big issue I have is that I have this deep seeded fear about the car falling on me. But I should prolly get over that at this point? Then again 2020 has been a terrible year so maybe I shouldn't try anything new. Ha!

Anyway, what kind of car maintenance does the average person do here?
Car manual is there to tell you what to do
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I used to change oil/filter, air filter, wiper blades and even an exhaust system back in the day. Now 70 and retired and lease our cars, I go to the dealer....just easier and not that expensive. Be careful my friend.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I usually change my own oil (using ramps) & check/add other fluids, check tire wear and add air when needed, and replace air and cabin filters and windshield wiper blades.

I usually have the dealer or an independent mechanic flush and refill the brake fluid, replace brake pads/rotors, replace timing belt (if/when necessary) and other less routine or more complicated procedures requiring special tools. At those times I also have the mechanic check the car over to make sure they don't see anything else that should be done (there rarely is).

That's pretty much all I do in the 100,000 to 150,000 miles I usually keep my cars other than new tires (at Costco). I always feel like I should check the spark plugs but never seem to get around to it.

The difference between maintaining a car today and when I got my first one in the 1960s is like night and day. If driven easy, today's cars are nearly maintenance free.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Toons

Post by Toons »

These days I go by the book
At the Dealer
I don't cherry pick
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Normchad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:28 pm I do almost all of it myself. The fear of a car falling on you is not irrational. More people should take that seriously.

A young fellow I used to work with had his car fall on him. Took a long time before someone found him. He survived but was never the same. Died a year later - various organ failure - late 40s I think.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Nothing other than the simplest stuffs like filling in washer fluid, checking tire pressures, replacing wiper blades, or adding engine oil as needed. I just simply don't see the value or advantage of doing it myself when I have a trusted, knowledgeable mechanic.

Take an example of doing an oil change, which perhaps is one of the most cited examples of DIY of car maintenance here and elsewhere. Just to get 5 qt oil + oil filter (say from Amazon), it would cost me ~$23 + ~$10 = $33. Then I'd have to worry about recycling the old oil and dealing with the mess. My last oil change + rotating 2 tires at the mechanic costs me $44 + tax. I made an appointment, went in before work, and out within 30 minutes. At best I saved probably $10 for DIY but then I had to actually spend the time doing it. Not worth it.

You can try to do similar calculations with more complicated maintenance or repair. But then you'll have to figure in the extra time, tools, skills required, etc. There is a value of letting the experts do what they do best.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

jebmke wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:38 pm

A young fellow I used to work with had his car fall on him. Took a long time before someone found him. He survived but was never the same. Died a year later - various organ failure - late 40s I think.
Yikes! That’s just horrible. That is why I won’t ever put my head or torso under a car that’s been jacked up. Somebody else can do it.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Really sad.

Using jack stands properly goes a long way to reducing the risk of a vehicle falling. I've seen people jack up a vehicle with only a scissor jack and then get under it. :shock: :shock: :shock:
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 pm
Really sad.

Using jack stands properly goes a long way to reducing the risk of a vehicle falling. I've seen people jack up a vehicle with only a scissor jack and then get under it. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'd never get under a car that was jacked up. I used to have steel ramps for the front wheels. From the appearance it looks like the ones today are made from some kind of composite. Probably as strong as my steel ones were though.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 pm
Really sad.

Yes, and one reason I use good ramps is that they remove the chances of a jack slipping. Ramps + wheel chocks + e-brake = safe oil change.

I do have a pump jack and jack stands for other work where ramps aren't sufficient but I've modified a cross beam to lock into the pump jack with a steel center pin and then sit over the jack stands with steel C-channel pockets.....no way anything is slipping!
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We follow as spelled out in the vehicle manual. We use the dealer. Way to many times over the years using small garages that ended up with lower quality service and eventually costing more. I feel the dealers are much more competitive with service today than years ago.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:37 pm We follow as spelled out in the vehicle manual. We use the dealer. Way to many times over the years using small garages that ended up with lower quality service and eventually costing more. I feel the dealers are much more competitive with service today than years ago.
In my case the dealer wants way too much for routine maintenance that’s easily DIY. I know the dealer wants about $500 for a simple Service B on my 2016 GLC that I can did last month in about an hour for under $100.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

All the Bogleheads but me must live in Lake Woebegon since everyone seems to have a trusted mechanic.

I haven't had a trusted mechanic since 1987--and I have looked! I have had shops where I was satisfied with their work--until I wasn't. Dealers, big independent shops, little shops--it doesn't matter. Eventually everyone crosses my "not acceptable line" for one reason or another. Such is life. I do what I can do competently and don't mind doing. That gets to be less and less every year due to my aging, my laziness, and the increasing complexity of vehicles. I do try to keep myself informed on manufacturers' maintenance recommendations and an understanding of what that entails when I take a vehicle in for service.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I have a Tesla. I give it a car wash on occasion.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Leif wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 pm I have a Tesla. I give it a car wash on occasion.
You may want to do a bit more than that....

Recommended Maintenance Service
Cabin Air Filter
Your Tesla is equipped with an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing your cabin air filter every 2 years.

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter
If your Tesla is equipped with a HEPA filter, Tesla recommends replacing it every 3 years.

Tire Rotation, Balance and Wheel Alignment
Tesla recommends rotating your tires every 6,250 miles or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in or greater, whichever comes first. Aggressive driving can lead to premature tire wear and may require more frequent tire service. Unbalanced and misaligned wheels affect handling, tire life and steering components. Refer to tire manufacturer's owner manuals and warranty documentation for additional details.

Brake Fluid Test
Tesla recommends testing brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.

Air Conditioning Service
An air conditioning service replaces the desiccant to help the longevity and efficiency of the air conditioning system. Tesla recommends an air conditioning service every 2 years for Model S, every 4 years for Model X and Model Y and every 6 years for Model 3.

Winter Care
Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.

From here:
https://www.tesla.com/support/car-maintenance
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:47 pm All the Bogleheads but me must live in Lake Woebegon since everyone seems to have a trusted mechanic.

I haven't had a trusted mechanic since 1987--and I have looked! I have had shops where I was satisfied with their work--until I wasn't. Dealers, big independent shops, little shops--it doesn't matter. Eventually everyone crosses my "not acceptable line" for one reason or another. Such is life. I do what I can do competently and don't mind doing. That gets to be less and less every year due to my aging, my laziness, and the increasing complexity of vehicles. I do try to keep myself informed on manufacturers' maintenance recommendations and an understanding of what that entails when I take a vehicle in for service.
One solution is to go to the dealership. You might pay more, but you get someone familiar with the manufacturer's recommendations and your make and model of vehicle.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

oldfort wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:47 pm All the Bogleheads but me must live in Lake Woebegon since everyone seems to have a trusted mechanic.

One solution is to go to the dealership. You might pay more, but you get someone familiar with the manufacturer's recommendations and your make and model of vehicle.
Like Doom&Gloom I also do most of my own maintenance largely due to bad experiences with mechanics.....independent and dealership. More than once I've had a dealer overfill my oil by more than a quart. When I do need to have the dealer do it I now always double-check the level before I leave the dealership. :annoyed
Leif

Post by Leif »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:55 pm
Leif wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 pm I have a Tesla. I give it a car wash on occasion.
You may want to do a bit more than that....
I just took it in for an upgrade for my full self drive computer. No cost, since I bought FSD when I purchased the car. I asked if any work was necessary. I was told no.

They use to rotate my tires for free, now they charge. They told me the tires were fine. They use to wash my car, now no. So service seems to be worse then in the past. But at least no oil to change, so spark plugs to replace, etc, etc.

Next time in I'll check with them. But, they told me all is fine for now.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

And paid a lot of money for that convenience :)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Superleaf444 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pmI've become more confident the older I've become to work on cars and, of course, YouTube has helped greatly. But like I said I've not owned a car in years and thinking about things that I might do. I don't have any tools and I'm trying to decide if it is the time to start purchasing them, or see how long this virus alter my commute lifestyle. I suspect it has changed longer than not, but who knows anymore.

Another big issue I have is that I have this deep seeded fear about the car falling on me. But I should prolly get over that at this point? Then again 2020 has been a terrible year so maybe I shouldn't try anything new. Ha!

Anyway, what kind of car maintenance does the average person do here?
The average person may be doing the opposite and selling their car or doing less maintenance.

Who knows what the future will bring, and what the new trends will be, but even before this pause, Uber and car sharing was growing. Combine that with self-driving cars. Electric vehicles was (and likely still is) growing. Alternative transportation (eBikes, scooters, etc.) and urban planning were starting a revolution. People were supposed to move closer together, with bike lanes, hyperloops, other infrastructure changes and new forms of public transportation that were being dreamed up.
oldfort wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 pmnothing.
This is probably the average answer.

With little driving, keeping the battery alive with a battery tender and taking it around the block once a month might be all the maintenance you would need to do for the next few months.

Once things get back to normal, for many, given all the unaccounted costs, it's more like a hobby than a real cost savings. Just to change the oil, you have to buy tools. Then you have to buy the parts. You need space to store the tools. You need time to do the work. You need more time and expense to properly dispose of the waste. More modest maintenance require more tools and time that unless you enjoy it or want to make a future career out of it, will not pay back.

Anyway, knowing all the drawbacks, you can still get started slowly learning and doing one thing at a time. It helps if you can borrow or inherit some tools or have someone coach you along the way. I've even considered looking into city colleges or other shop classes to see if it's suitable to learn how to rebuild a transmission or engine or maybe these days youtube videos are sufficient. Who knows, in 30 years, when all the mechanics are retired or working on electric vehicles, the skills you have developed can be used to keep up and repair your classic and antique ICE cars. In 2050, ICE cars may be declared illegal like the incandescent bulb, and a cash-for-clunkers program to eliminate those gross polluters built back in 2020 may be the thing.