Not sure how to tell if I'm in the affected class (iPhone slowdown settlement)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bammerman

Not sure how to tell if I'm in the affected class (iPhone slowdown settlement)

Post by Bammerman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:31 am

Today I received an email regarding a settlement in a lawsuit concerning Apple and "diminished performance" in certain iPhones. To quote an excerpt,

"Apple will provide a cash payment per eligible device to each Class Member who submits a timely and valid Claim Form including a serial number of an eligible device and a declaration under penalty of perjury stating that they are or were (1) a United States owner of an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, and/or SE device (2) that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later or, in the case of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus devices, that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017; and (3) they experienced diminished performance on the device(s)."

Now, I definitely own(ed) several iPhones in the above named settlement. What I'm not sure about is whether I "experienced diminished performance on the device(s)." How am I supposed to know this? Perhaps I did, I don't know, and I don't know whether/how it's possible to "look it up" on the phone(s), one of which I still own and use. It's only $25 per phone, but if I'm entitled to it, I want it. Just not sure how to tell if I'm entitled to it. Ideas?

02nz

Re: Not sure how to tell if I'm in the affected class (iPhone slowdown settlement)

Post by 02nz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am

The website allows you to search by your iTunes email address and physical address if you no longer have the serial number. It took a while for me to get a match since it was an old phone (that I'd already sold long ago) and it was tied to an older address, but eventually I found it and was able to submit my claim.

#3 is really only up to you to certify, Apple and the claims administrator have no way of verifying exactly what you experienced.

Kenkat

Re: Not sure how to tell if I'm in the affected class (iPhone slowdown settlement)

Post by Kenkat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 am

They throttled the devices, thus the suit. If you owned one of the affected phones, I’d just assume you experienced reduced performance and go ahead and submit a claim.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:19 pm

I owned 4 of the affected phones. The two high use phones experienced problems and the other two did not. So, I submitted two claims. You are just self certifying though. So the decision is really up to you as to what you think is accurate and proper.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:22 pm

I saw that email yesterday. Deleted it. At $25 per phone, didn't deem it worthwhile to spend the time necessary to figure it all out.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:42 pm

spectec wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:22 pm
I saw that email yesterday. Deleted it. At $25 per phone, didn't deem it worthwhile to spend the time necessary to figure it all out.
I filed a claim for the Harbor Freight class action lawsuit - $10 gift card. Turns out, nobody bothered to file claims since it was for only $10, so when they actually divided up the settlement, everyone who filed got $160 gift cards instead of $10 ones. So you never know.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Interesting. Maybe I'll dig that email out of the trash folder. :oops:
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am
The website allows you to search by your iTunes email address and physical address if you no longer have the serial number. It took a while for me to get a match since it was an old phone (that I'd already sold long ago) and it was tied to an older address, but eventually I found it and was able to submit my claim.

#3 is really only up to you to certify, Apple and the claims administrator have no way of verifying exactly what you experienced.
Wow. Thanks. Your reminder just made me $100! I had registered four qualifying iPhones on my Apple ID from a few years ago. The search feature is awesome!

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex

Topic Author
Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:20 am

I forwarded the email to my kids and other family members whom I knew had or had had these phones. I know $25 isn't much these days but every little bit counts (especially for Bogleheads!).