Cyclists...where are you getting your masks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JD2775

Cyclists...where are you getting your masks?

Post by JD2775 »

I’m looking for recommendations on masks I am seeing cyclists wear. They hang loosely around the neck and you can pull them up/down to cover your face as needed. I have no idea where to look for these, brands etc...I just know the surgical mask I wear in Target prob isn’t the best for biking :)

Any recommendations? Thanks
Brianmcg321

Re: Cyclists...where are you getting your masks?

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Last edited by Brianmcg321 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

It sounds like you are describing a gaiter. Mine is Buff, but there are lots of brands available
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

If you breath easy in a mask, it’s not doing much.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I bike but did not cross my mind to do it with a mask. Why?
I keep a surgical mask in my pocket, if I need to take a break for an ice-cream or coffee.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I have a hard enough time walking through the parking lot in 90-118 degrees with a mask. Couldn't imagine working out in a mask. My running has been mask-free so far.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 pm I have a hard enough time walking through the parking lot in 90-118 degrees with a mask. Couldn't imagine working out in a mask. My running has been mask-free so far.
I hear ya, honestly the last few times I’ve been biking I’m seeing more and more bikers wearing them. I’m starting to feel self conscious not wearing one in my area. I’m good everywhere else, but haven’t done it while biking yet.

Thanks to those recommending Gaiters. Those appear to be the ones
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

JD2775 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 pm I’m looking for recommendations on masks I am seeing cyclists wear. They hang loosely around the neck and you can pull them up/down to cover your face as needed. I have no idea where to look for these, brands etc...I just know the surgical mask I wear in Target prob isn’t the best for biking :)

Any recommendations? Thanks
I’m with some of the others. Can’t imagine wearing- or needing to wear- a mask while cycling or running. And, fortunately, I’m able to avoid being in a municipality that would require it.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

JD2775 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 pm
runner3081 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 pm I have a hard enough time walking through the parking lot in 90-118 degrees with a mask. Couldn't imagine working out in a mask. My running has been mask-free so far.
I hear ya, honestly the last few times I’ve been biking I’m seeing more and more bikers wearing them. I’m starting to feel self conscious not wearing one in my area. I’m good everywhere else, but haven’t done it while biking yet.

I got used to it by wearing it walking hills. As in, I kept it on even when other people weren't around just to get used to it. We wear our gaiters folded in half, for more protection. They are rather thin, but they do press up against your nose and mouth, which can feel overwhelming.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Masks? Why do you need a mask? If you’re riding through crowds, bring your regular mask to protect others.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

A lot of athletic companies are now selling masks. Nike, Under Armour, and Athleta are a few though I have not tried any yet.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

I see many cyclists and runners using gaiters, and some type of face covering is required in my area if you cannot maintain a 6' distance between other trail/road users, which is frequently the case.
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

If you’re riding on a bike trail with many other cyclists it may make wearing a mask advisable. In less crowded areas I would think not necessary.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Cycling with a mask for short to moderate distances is not too bad. Running is much harder so not really a fair comparison.

Rather than a buff, I have been preferring a simple, regular cotton mask with a strap to hold it around my neck when not wearing it. Much cooler than a buff that acts as a turtleneck which is far too warm for exercising in the summer.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Yep, this is a regional thing. In some part of the US masks seem to be uncommon. Around here you'll get "the look" if you're outside anywhere that's not totally deserted and you don't have a mask. At least walking you can step well aside for someone, but biking you can't do much to avoid others on the same path.

Gaiters are what you want. No, they're not surgical masks, but they'll stop you from blowing a cloud of virus in all directions when you breathe heavily.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I always wear a bandana when I ride to keep the sun off the back of my neck. Now, I've turned my bandana around and use it to cover my nose and mouth, like bank robbers in the old westerns.

I ride in San Francisco where there are plenty of steep hills. Near the tops, where I am really gasping for air, I find the bandana restrictive and have to open my mouth wide to both get enough air and to stop sucking the bandana into my mouth. If no one is around (not common in San Francisco), I pull it down and breathe normally.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Maven

Post by Maven »

Try yocolorado.com. I got a great one there several months ago. I wear it because in our county, all trails have signs saying masks are required when you cannot maintain 6ft or more of distance. This occurs when passing so people pull them up and down, mostly out of respect as I fully realize it's a low risk environment when outdoors and moving. If it does anything to make a vulnerable person feel more comfortable out there, it's worth it to me.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://boucliervisors.com/

OP,

I am using this as a face shield too.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I live on Hilton Head Island a place renowned for its miles of bike paths. I ride 3-5 days a week up to 25 miles. No one, including me, wears a mask when biking. Given the heat and humidity here, and my age, mask wearing while doing vigorous exercise would probably be more of a danger to me than the risk of infecting someone because I was not wearing a mask.

Having said that, I always wear a mask when indoors with people other than my spouse.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

If you go on Etsy and look up the store cocktailcritters, they sell cotton masks that are comfortable and well made. This is what I plan to wear when I go on some hiking trips later this summer. I wear a surgical mask in places like grocery stores, but for low risk environments like a hiking trail where there's virtually unlimited air circulation, the cotton mask stays in the front pocket for the rare situation where I can't avoid coming face to face with a stranger, which is almost never.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I use a neck gaiter designed for athletic wear that I pull up when I'm around other people. Added benefit of SPF50 sun protection around my neck. I thought it would make me feel hotter, but in fact it wicks the sweat away and is not uncomfortable.

In my neighborhood a high percentage of people are wearing masks outdoors (lots of health care professionals near a medical school and multiple hospitals). I am fine with a small gesture of respect to pull my gaiter up over my nose and mouth when I come within 30 feet of another person then lowering it down.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
cricket49

Post by cricket49 »

We do not wear masks while cycling or hiking. We usually hit trails during the week when there are fewer people out. We never hike on popular trails where you might encounter many people.
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst.
matthewbarnhart

Post by matthewbarnhart »

Raybo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:33 am I always wear a bandana when I ride to keep the sun off the back of my neck. Now, I've turned my bandana around and use it to cover my nose and mouth, like bank robbers in the old westerns.
Same here. I've carried a bandana for years as they're so useful.

I have a wool gaiter I use in the winter. It's not thick enough to work as a face mask so I'm not yet sure what I'll do then, but I have at least a month before the first cold snap hits Chicago :D
megabad

Post by megabad »

Just wanted to say, if you’ve never worn a mask while exercising, I might give it a try. I have to wear one in my gym (along with the doors being open, basically no AC, and stay 6 ft apart) and I have found that it makes me feel like I am exercising at altitude which in general makes me feel better (once the mask comes off). Just my opinion, not meant to be political or medical advice.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Starfish wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 pm I bike but did not cross my mind to do it with a mask. Why?
I keep a surgical mask in my pocket, if I need to take a break for an ice-cream or coffee.
You misspelled “beer.”

-Fellow Cyclist

In all seriousness, yes, the Gaiter is the way to go. I’ve been putting off wearing one when cycling because I typically road ride and can generally stay well away from everyone, but for a trail it’s probably the right move. My biggest hang up is it making me overheat when around my neck. I might look into one of the cooling fabrics and carry some extra water to pour on it. (I also carry a normal mask And mini bottle of hand sanitizer in my jersey pocket I’m case needed).
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
lws

Post by lws »

Bandana for cycling and walking.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

I do not and will not wear a mask while cycling. One of my favorite aspects of cycling is feeling the wind on my face.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

cricket49 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am We do not wear masks while cycling or hiking. We usually hit trails during the week when there are fewer people out. We never hike on popular trails where you might encounter many people.
I climbed one of Utah highest (and most popular) peaks this morning (Mt. Timpanogos). I came across thousands of other hikers (along with my crew of 4) and don't recall seeing a single mask. I'm also an avid cyclist who has the state's busiest cycling trail 2 miles from their front door; if I see a rider with a mask, it definitely stands out because they are few and far between. FWIW, Utah is definitely mask "friendly" (as am I), they are required at most public places in my area and there doesn't seem to be much protest against it.
georgenator

Post by georgenator »

These are my favorites. I also have one from Turtlefur but I think these two are better values.

https://pandanausa.com/collections/frontpage

https://www.cutawayusa.com/collections/neck-gaiters
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

georgenator wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:09 pm These are my favorites. I also have one from Turtlefur but I think these two are better values.

https://pandanausa.com/collections/frontpage

https://www.cutawayusa.com/collections/neck-gaiters
OMG, the penny farthing one is great!
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

I have hay fever/pollen allergies, and several y ears ago started wearing a mask and ski goggles. I found it made a big difference so I continued to do so. I usually bought a bunch of allergy rated masks in the fall, including some N(5, so was accidentally ready for the pandemic.

I am not a "speed" biker", I bike between 8 and 15 mph to enjoy the scenery, and have no problems breathing thru a mask at that pace.
SR II

Post by SR II »

Gaiters have been worn by cyclists in our area for a long time, pre-pandemic, to protect against both sun and dust/sand.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Bizarre. I keep seeing people driving around alone in their car, hiking alone, riding a bike etc with a mask. Then I see people inside in a large group of people without one. The ability of the general public to assess the actual risk of acquiring COVID-19 seems disastrously low.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

rkhusky wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:09 pm If you breath easy in a mask, it’s not doing much.
Depends on whether you're trying to prevent getting COVID (in which case you should get an N95) or keep from spreading it. Cloth masks are effective at slowing the spread. You just need to get them on the person with COVID. And when you don't know who has it, the easiest thing to do it put one on everyone.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I don't bike with groups or in crowded spaces so don't worry about wearing a mask.

As far as gaiters, I've read that both they and kerchiefs are the least effective by far for protecting either the wearer or others so they're not on my list for consideration. They look good though and I understand they are relatively cool (for the same reasons that they're ineffective).
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
camillus

Post by camillus »

I am "issued" a surgical, disposable mask whenever I show up for work, to which I commute via bicycle. These masks get stuffed in a bike bag pocket as I leave the hospital. Whenever I'm biking around on days off and I need a mask, I usually have 3-4 old surgical masks ready to go.

I typically do not wear a mask while riding. I ride in traffic and think it's a bit of a safety issue if I'm distracted by my mask or if my glasses fog up at the wrong time. I don't want to have to take my hands off the handlebars so I can see while I'm riding next to a city bus.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

They make buffs for trail runners (ie not winter buffs), just get one of those. They are very thin.

I just use my standard loop behind the ears cloth mask tho, i tuck it under my chin and pull it up when i briefly yield at a red light with other peds/cyclists or am in a close line.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

I wear one of three things (depending on temperature and ride duration):

A bike buff, bandana with a coffee filter inserted in the middle of the triangle or a disposable mask.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I also bike with a small mask in a zipper baggy in a jersey pocket in case I have mechanical issues and need assistance or want to stop in a store. For that purpose, I use a small, commercial two-layer polyester mask that would hold up to sweat better than a paper or cotton mask.

But I always bike alone and typically run alone, usually on a long, linear bike trail--the local segment is 75+ miles north to south--where it is easy to stay spread out. I don't cycle in crowded areas of the trail even in normal times, because it's impossible to keep a steady pace otherwise.

In nearly 5 months of pandemic exercise, I've seen zero runners and maybe 1% of cyclists with masks or gaiters on this trail. And that compares to nearly 100% mask wearing in stores (although not all worn correctly).
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

SR II wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:32 pm Gaiters have been worn by cyclists in our area for a long time, pre-pandemic, to protect against both sun and dust/sand.
And cold. I wear mine all the time when biking in the winter. Keeps my face from freezing off.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I do not wear a mask when cycling. I go on a lot of vigorous rides and can't have anything restricting my breathing. I just carry a mask in my pack for going in places like convenient stores and such. Also everything I have read indicates outdoor activities like cycling are a very small risk for transmission.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

If your running, biking, walking, camping, surfing etc - don't wear a mask. This thing is not the Black Death...

If you're standing in line next to a bunch of sick people, wear one.
alex345

Post by alex345 »

I use my neck buffs all the time mountain biking. Slide it down when climbing on road or a wide fire road, slide it up if people come around, etc. I've worn it on my face during max effort anaerobic sprinting climbs, and it is not quantifiably restricting my breathing. It just feels like it since your face is getting all the hot moist air when you breath out. The lens fogging is the actual real issue for me :). I ride about 12 hours a week, and always have the buff on my neck, and always wear it on my face when descending singletrack (need hands on the bar and can't put it on then).
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

I haven't been generally wearing one while biking, but I have a thin Buff/gaiter in case I need to stop. I'm pretty cautious with respect to COVID-19 but exposure is defined in terms of distance and time (6', 15min) and the occasional person passed on the road or trails doesn't seem to be a real risk.
grettman

Post by grettman »

I don’t wear one while riding.

I ride on the road and at about 18 MPH.

I don’t encounter people within 6 feet.

I can’t imagine that these make shift “masks” (gaiters, buffs, bandannas) do a thing to stop this virus.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:59 pm If your running, biking, walking, camping, surfing etc - don't wear a mask. This thing is not the Black Death...

Thanks for clearing all this up, Dr. Sunny.
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

I like the De Soto skin cooler buffs (and mask - I wear the mask all the time and don't get too hot, even while walking):

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/protective-wear

eta -- I'm also a cyclist, but don't wear a mask -- I'm never within 6 feet of people on my rides. I do stuff one in my pocket just in case I need to go somewhere. I don't ride on bike trails though, just the road.
Last edited by SC Anteater on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:59 pm If your running, biking, walking, camping, surfing etc - don't wear a mask. This thing is not the Black Death...

The Black Death was spread by fleas, not droplets, so that is a bad comparison.

Masks are more useful at keeping you from spreading it than keeping you from catching it. So, if you haven't been in quarantine for the last two weeks or so and there are other people around, wear the mask. It is part of being a responsible citizen in a functioning society.
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

i ride my bike and hike wearing a gaitor.

its easier to breathe thru, moisture wicking-keeps me cooler/neck covered and spf protection too!

i'm one of those that keeps their mask on all the time- in the car, walking alone because i don't like touching the outside of the mask multiple times to pull the mask on/off. i keep it on until i can wash my hands.

my great home made masks (for walking/inside stores) kept getting pulled into my nostrils when i needed air the most!
4Health

Post by 4Health »

megabad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:06 am Just wanted to say, if you’ve never worn a mask while exercising, I might give it a try. I have to wear one in my gym (along with the doors being open, basically no AC, and stay 6 ft apart) and I have found that it makes me feel like I am exercising at altitude which in general makes me feel better (once the mask comes off). Just my opinion, not meant to be political or medical advice.
If you really want to be hard core try running distance with a N95. I live in NorCal and was training for a marathon when the fires hit in Santa Rosa. I went for a 15+ mile run with a N95 because the smoke was so thick. The next day I could hardly move my body. I run a lot and never get sore. It was like even my hand muscles went into anaerobic mode from running with my fists partially clenched because it hurt to even move my fingers. I’ve never been so sore in my entire body. I don’t recommend it.