Does a couple really "need" an SUV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Does a couple really "need" an SUV?

Post by Kennedy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:48 pm

I understand all situations are different. However, I'm wondering how often the average suburban couple (no kids at home) actually "needs" an SUV. I am looking for personal experiences from similarly situated people and how inconvenient not having one would be.

I'm imagining the SUV would be used rarely for hauling bags of yard mulch, taking large suitcases/family to the airport and the like. In this scenario, there is no reason to replace (upgrade, actually) an existing car with an SUV but for the rare case when the SUV would be more convenient, and the couple doesn't feel comfortable borrowing one from a neighbor. I'm hesitant to add this information since I don't want to derail the responses, but I'm sure the question will be raised: In this scenario there is disagreement between the spouses as to if the money for the purchase of a newer model SUV would be better used for other purposes. There has been a family SUV up to now, but it will be going off to college with a child and the parents will not be swapping cars with this child.

Do you make do without an SUV? If so, how? At what point for you would the scales be tipped with regard to "needing" an SUV: hauling larger items 3 times a year? Four times? Twice a year?

mnsportsgeek

Re: Does a couple really "need" an SUV?

Post by mnsportsgeek » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:57 pm

I managed just fine without an SUV before a kid. Everyone’s needs are different. The couple that goes camping and fishing every weekend probably would enjoy an SUV. A couple living in suburbia without an extensive outdoor hobby probably doesn’t need one.

With the ease of renting a pickup truck these days, a lot of people are probably buying more space than they really need though.
Last edited by mnsportsgeek on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:57 pm

We have never had an SUV and have 2 almost grown kids. Unless you have giant SUV they can't fit that much more than a car. You can get uhauls pretty cheap if needed. Van, pickup or straight truck.

If you want one, get one. But you don't *need* one.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 pm

Of course you don't need an SUV. A couple of bicycles work fine.

I was deliberately being absurd, but at some level so is the question. These are not "need" questions, they are preferences. My wife likes a Mini-Van, I have tried to talk her into something smaller, but that is what she wants to drive. So she does.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

simplextableau

Post by simplextableau » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 pm

Everyone always forgets about a hitch and small trailer. Any car can tow 1000 pounds if you keep it slow and short distances. The trailer is cheap and tiny (48 inches long).

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 pm

If we only bought what we needed most of our houses would be a lot smaller with half as many bedrooms.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 pm

99.99% of people never "need" an suv.... Even less have ever seen a dirt road. I think most people are buying a higher driving position. The 3 people that live on a mud/snow elevated locked road a mile from the highway might be able to use the "need" word.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

davebo

Post by davebo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 pm

You don't need one, but having at least one car that can fit something oversized is kind of nice. Pre-kids, we used to have a small SUV (Honda CRV) and then we upgraded to a minivan. Although these days you can get most things delivered, so hauling probably not as necessary.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 pm

No one needs a vehicle, no less a specific kind. This is a consumption decision. If you are at odds with your spouse, random people on the internet can't solve it for you. You'll have to solve this one yourselves.

Good luck,

JT

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:07 pm

I would love to NOT drive an SUV. But we use it continually for hauling and towing it during our travels.
Ideally, most everything can be accomplished with a good set of roof racks and a small utility trailer - which is exactly what I would have if my situation was different. Roof racks and a trailer can accomplish almost everything that a pickup truck can do.
The drive-ability of a small car is wonderful.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 pm
No one needs a vehicle, no less a specific kind. This is a consumption decision. If you are at odds with your spouse, random people on the internet can't solve it for you. You'll have to solve this one yourselves.

Good luck,

JT
Perfect answer.
EOD

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 pm

No couple has ever survived without one so far, but hey, maybe you'll be the first?

cenvin

Post by cenvin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 pm

"SUV" is a very broad category these days ranging from very small fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive unibody vehicles that are basically tall hatchbacks called "crossovers", all the way up to very large heavy fuel-guzzling body-on-frame four-wheel-drive truck-based vehicles, and everything in between. I think that you might find a good compromise that fits perfectly for your needs.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:12 pm

Not at all. Family of 3 and our "family" car is a Nissan Versa hatchback!

Dick D

Post by Dick D » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:19 pm

There are a few types of SUV's - compact, Midsize and large. For me The primary advantage of an SUV Israël that it protides a betterave vies of The road. Of you Santos to haut thons get à picked up.

Dick D

Post by Dick D » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 pm

There are a few types of SUV's - compact, Midsize and large. For me the primary advantage of an SUV is that it provides a better view of the road.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 pm

Some of us older folk find it difficult to get in and out of low-slung sedans, so we appreciate the height of the SUVs.

Back when I had kids, families with kids drove mini-vans, not SUVs. We had a 1993 GMC Safari. My sister still drives a mini-van even though her kids grew up and left home more than a decade ago. She just likes it. She says SUVs are too small for her.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:46 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:48 pm
I understand all situations are different. However, I'm wondering how often the average suburban couple (no kids at home) actually "needs" an SUV. I am looking for personal experiences from similarly situated people and how inconvenient not having one would be.

I'm imagining the SUV would be used rarely for hauling bags of yard mulch, taking large suitcases/family to the airport and the like. In this scenario, there is no reason to replace (upgrade, actually) an existing car with an SUV but for the rare case when the SUV would be more convenient, and the couple doesn't feel comfortable borrowing one from a neighbor. I'm hesitant to add this information since I don't want to derail the responses, but I'm sure the question will be raised: In this scenario there is disagreement between the spouses as to if the money for the purchase of a newer model SUV would be better used for other purposes. There has been a family SUV up to now, but it will be going off to college with a child and the parents will not be swapping cars with this child.

Do you make do without an SUV? If so, how? At what point for you would the scales be tipped with regard to "needing" an SUV: hauling larger items 3 times a year? Four times? Twice a year?
The child won't be going off to college. Another happy ending courtesy of Covid-19.

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:46 pm

The child won't be going off to college. Another happy ending courtesy of Covid-19.
Why not? I know many college students who are going to their already leased apartments this fall even if all their classes are online.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:55 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Is this a serious question? How did all people live without SUVs until 20 years ago or so? Nobody needs an SUV (or a truck for that matter), with very few exceptions.

We have a kid. We bike, camp, hike, climb, ski, go to the beach, at least one of these every weekend. The largest car we have is my wife's VW CC (smaller low in the back midsize sedan) but most of the time we use my car, a VW GTI, because is more fun to drive. We just came back from a camping trip, dirt roads, tent, stove, pots, backpacks. We even had a huge watermelon with us.
I even carried a 40 gal water heater from Home Depot with my GTI. All by myself, no help.
I would never buy a standard size SUV. I hate the way they drive, the soft suspension, the high center of gravity, the way they look, the message they send, the price and gas consumption and the fact that they flip although nowadays it might be better. I did pull some years ago a girl from a flipped SUV though. If you want something truly practical go for a minivan.
Last edited by Starfish on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:02 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:57 pm
We have never had an SUV and have 2 almost grown kids. Unless you have giant SUV they can't fit that much more than a car. You can get uhauls pretty cheap if needed. Van, pickup or straight truck.

If you want one, get one. But you don't *need* one.
For me Enterprise had always much better prices that UHaul. Worth a try.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm

We need an SUV because roads flood around us. If we need to escape or avoid getting killed by bad weather, then we need an SUV that can drive through 8 to 10 inch deep flooded roads without any issues. I have a friend who totaled their BMW just turning into high water at the end of their cul-de-sac.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:55 pm

Is this a serious question? How did all people live without SUVs until 20 years ago or so? Nobody needs an SUV (or a truck for that matter), with very few exceptions.

OP here. It's quite obvious from some responses that some failed to note my use of quotation marks around the word "need," indicating I'm using the word in a non-standard and not literal way. Sheesh.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm

Starfish wrote:
Station wagons.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:11 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm
Starfish wrote:

OP here. It's quite obvious from some responses that some failed to note my use of quotation marks around the word "need," indicating I'm using the word in a non-standard and not literal way. Sheesh.

I still don't get it. If it's not need but want, how does the question make sense?
If you mean if it makes life easier, I don't think so. The lack of dynamic qualities in driving and the larger price pe mile to be are serious minuses. A couple with no kids does not need anything more than a 2 door car. I know because I a had 2 door Honda Civic before the GTI. That car was actually more practical for snow and unpaved roads. But the hatch style trunk has some advantages (which I rarely use).
Last edited by Starfish on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 pm

I have a 19 year old Honda Civic, two doors. With the rear seats down I can easily get 12 bags of mulch in it (that's almost a cubic yard). Or I can carry 8' length lumber, albeit, only two. My niece's SUV, Subaru, will carry more mulch, but not a longer length board.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR II

Post by SR II » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:14 pm

We are a retired couple with grown children. No, we don't "need" an SUV, but we have one (a Forester) because we like sitting up higher, providing better visibility than a car. We also have a knock around sedan for when we need two vehicles at the same time. I wouldn't go out and buy an SUV just to have one. But, if I were in the market for a replacement vehicle it is certainly nice to have one.
Last edited by SR II on Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Starfish wrote:

So if "need"<> need, then what does "need" mean?

flyingcows

Post by flyingcows » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:22 pm

I’m not a fan of SUVs personally, I would rather own a car that is fun to drive or something more space efficent like a minivan. If you plan on taking it offroad regularly, then I can see the appeal.

If you just want to occassionally haul stuff, you can rent pickups from home depot/lowes, we have done that before.
Last edited by flyingcows on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 pm
Kennedy wrote:
Starfish wrote:

We have a phrase for this: That is, we "can need" something... :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 pm

We don't need a SUV but we find it to be more comfortable, convenient and versatile and so we have one anyway.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 pm
tibbitts wrote:

Why not? I know many college students who are going to their already leased apartments this fall even if all their classes are online.
It's definitely possible that students can't get out of a lease, but that doesn't mean it's cheaper - or, more importantly, safer - to live in the apartment than to live at home.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 pm
Kennedy wrote:
tibbitts wrote:

It's definitely possible that students can't get out of a lease, but that doesn't mean it's cheaper - or, more importantly, safer - to live in the apartment than to live at home.
Safer to whom? Our daughter lives in town but at an apartment near her school. Kids that age are just going to socialize and interact with more people, covid or not. Fortunately at that age they seem to be less vulnerable. In our case having her at home would just mean we get exposed to it.

Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 pm

If they did need an SUV, how did they survive before SUVs even existed?

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:45 pm

David Jay wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 pm
Of course you don't need an SUV. A couple of bicycles work fine.
Look at Mr. Spendypants here. Everywhere is walking distance if you make the time!

I don't "need" an SUV but I bought one a month ago, upgrading from having driven a sedan for the previous twenty years. When I drive, I tend to drive scores of miles -- it isn't just a trip to the grocery store, it's a trip to another county.

I also don't need to play golf, I don't need a hobby room in my house, I don't need a second fridge in my garage filled with beer and the freezer with ice cream.

Sometimes, despite what a popular song says, we want an upgrade that's more than the bare necessities.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:19 am

JBTX wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
tibbitts wrote:

Safer to whom? Our daughter lives in town but at an apartment near her school. Kids that age are just going to socialize and interact with more people, covid or not. Fortunately at that age they seem to be less vulnerable. In our case having her at home would just mean we get exposed to it.
I socialized and interacted with almost nobody other than my parents during at least my first three years of college, including stints in on-campus housing, off-campus housing, and living at home. If that was good enough for me in an era without all the communication mechanisms we have today, it's good enough for her.

maroon

Post by maroon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 am

I "need" an SUV as I live on a dirt road and streets get flooded at least annually. My SUV, an older Forester, performs very well on unpaved roads and in the rain.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 am

JBTX wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 pm
Kennedy wrote:
Starfish wrote:

Want.

You don’t need it, but you want it.

There’s a big difference between a compact SUV and a full-size SUV.

A compact SUV (CR-V, RAV4, CX-5, Forester) is not too different from a full-size sedan.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:19 am
JBTX wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
tibbitts wrote:

I socialized and interacted with almost nobody other than my parents during at least my first three years of college, including stints in on-campus housing, off-campus housing, and living at home. If that was good enough for me in an era without all the communication mechanisms we have today, it's good enough for her.
All due respect, your experience in college isn't typical. There are just some kids that age who have to get out.

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:58 am

I like having an SUV and can't imagine not owning one. I like the visibility and I like having a hauler. When it's time for my current SUV to be replaced, it will be replaced with another SUV.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:27 am

I was anti-SUV until 2 years ago when I developed serious back issues and now I cannot drive anything other than an SUV. For me, it's not about cargo or visibility; it's about easy of entry and exit, and the chair-like, upright seating position which are all a lot easier on my back.

bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 am

My next vehicle will be an SUV even though I am a single person. As a current sedan owner many times I wished I bought an SUV instead. I rented a Nissan Armada and like how it feels being in the driver seat. Though I probably won't buy something as big as that. I may go for the Bronco sport when it comes out.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:05 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:19 am
JBTX wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
tibbitts wrote:

"I socialized and interacted with almost nobody other than my parents during at least my first three years of college"
I did not either as I was commuting and working at the time - I know I missed a lot of activties and learning both on and off campus.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:09 am

We're a family of 4, very "outdoorsy" (my primary hobbies are mountaineering/climbing/snow shoeing and we camp several times a year as a family), live in a mountainous area that snows half the year, and we've never even considered an SUV. We've yet to be in a situation where our VW jetta (and a pair of snow tires) limited what we could do. When the definition of "need" becomes something that you think would be cool to have, but likely will never be required for anything you do, you know you live in a great time and place. The fact that we have never "needed" an SUV is one of the reasons we have the resources to do a lot of adventures (I'm summiting Utah's 3rd highest peak today).

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:26 am

bluelight wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:58 am
I like having an SUV and can't imagine not owning one. I like the visibility and I like having a hauler. When it's time for my current SUV to be replaced, it will be replaced with another SUV.
Bingo! Have and RX330 and a Highlander, We take four 800 mile trips a year. I have avoided several highway accidents because I could see ahead. If I was in a car I would have at least two 75 MPH collisions. No doubt in my mind. Wife hated the lexus at first. Now won't even drive a car!

Love em,

Wally

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:33 am

Kennedy wrote:
Starfish wrote:

There is nothing BHers love to do more than get off topic by spending half a thread debating the appropriateness of a particular word an OP used. It is just about the best discussion killer I've seen.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:49 am

Never owned or even drove an SUV, so one is not needed.
Never had a pickup truck either, only sedans or my current sportwagon.

Edit, anything needed from a store that can't fit into the car/wagon gets put into my 4x8 trailer which I have had for the past 27 yrs.
Last edited by Chuck107 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:50 am

How else will a couple tell their neighbors they “made it”? I live in the south, and you would think owning a Tahoe is a requirement.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 am

A family of 2 probably doesn't need an SUV, but it's convenient.

I vote for a smaller, v6 SUV like a 4runner even with kids. Small enough for running around town, larger enough for trips. Additional ground clearance, 4x4 and 4 low if you every want to go offroad.

Need more cargo space: add a Yakima box
Need to go to dump/pickup large item: pull a trailer

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:10 am

Kennedy wrote:
Never owned an SUV and we now have a small farm and orchard. I don't find it a problem at all.

Here's a suggestion: Calculate the total cost differential between a car and an SUV, including purchase price, insurance and cost to operate per mile (most cars get better gas mileage than an SUV). Now figure out how many rentals of an SUV or pickup truck or uHaul that will pay for each year.

If all you are doing is hauling a few bags of mulch each spring, those can easily fit in the trunk of a car. Larger purchases from a home improvement store might require a rented truck or paying the $75 or so for delivery. A couple going to the airport with luggage, car works fine. Same for picking up friends or family visiting from out of town. If there are too many people or too much luggage to fit in your car, they or you can rent a vehicle (or take uBer/Lyft).

Since this is Bogleheads, just do the math. On the other hand, some people buy what they like or prefer, regardless of whether it costs significantly more than what they need. That is a personal decision for you and your wife to make.

Good luck.