best mesh wifi system on the market?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

best mesh wifi system on the market?

Post by Tenesmus83 »

What do you think is the best and what do you think is the best for the value?
I'm looking at a 2 story, 4000 sq feet house.
02nz

Re: best mesh wifi system on the market?

Post by 02nz »

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... king-kits/

They seem to like Eero. No experience myself but lots of positive testimonials.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

We just recently purchased to the Nest (Google) system, and are quite happy with it. But our need was very simple - the internet "came into the house" in one corner was weak, but existent in the other (catty-) corner. The house is single story.

We bought the Nest system because it was on sale, and we knew we need more than one additional access point.

The Wirecutter recommends the Eero Pro, which I would have likely purchased if my needs were greater and/or the Nest wasn't on sale.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I have Eero (now owned by Amazon) although I think Google/Nest, Orbi and Asus are fine.

Eero has worked great. No problems after 5 years. Very low maintenance, it just works, and easy to manage.

At $249 for three pucks the Eero should work for your house, unless you need a fourth because of a U shaped/spread out floor plan, basement, or a remote garage.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I have the original Google Wifi and like it a lot. I understand that Eero and some of the others may be more configurable, but similar to investments I like my wifi simple so don't miss being able to customize it. There are some settings but I don't use them other than passwords.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

We have a three node eero Pro system. I think they’ve revved the hardware at least once since we got ours. We have no complaints. Easy to set up.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Long thread on this subject about two months ago.

Based upon it, I got the Netgear Orbi. They just came out with a Series 6.

Others like the Eero.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

Eero works good for our 2 story house
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 pm What do you think is the best and what do you think is the best for the value?
I'm looking at a 2 story, 4000 sq feet house.
There's not enough information given for a recommendation. Is ethernet cable or powerline networking an option? Wifi 5 or Wifi 6? Bandwidth needs? What usage, gaming, NAS, FTP, streaming? What Budget?

Here's a good review website to get started:

https://dongknows.com/tag/wi-fi-routers-and-mesh/

Also, I'm not a fan of mesh companies like Nest (Google) or eero (Amazon) where they require users to register accounts to fully access hardware features. The risk is that they are collecting customer data for their own purposes.
Last edited by smackboy1 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Badger97

Post by Badger97 »

Three node Eero pro here. We replaced a WiFi router and repeater that was bought last year but just didn’t work well.

We put one of the Eeros on each floor of our 5,400 sq ft house.

200MB coverage everywhere now.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I also use eero. It is working great so far.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Best depends on you personal use case. For example, the Nest is a good unit but it does not support wifi 6 or Wired back haul.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Badger97 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:55 pm Three node Eero pro here. We replaced a WiFi router and repeater that was bought last year but just didn’t work well.

We put one of the Eeros on each floor of our 5,400 sq ft house.

200MB coverage everywhere now.
+1 for Eero. We get about 130-160 Mbps. 3 stories 4500 sf.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

We have an Eero mesh and are reasonably happy. I knew I wanted full support for bridge mode, wired backhaul, and a guest network. I had read that the Eero was touchy about mobile devices when using a wired backhaul, and that is a minor nuisance (we sometimes have to reset the WiFi on laptops when moving around the house).

I’m unhappy about the privacy policy and the forced account setup and data gathering. I wouldn’t have bought the Eero if I had known about this in advance. A review site mentioned this about the Google Nest, but not the Eero. If I had it to do over, I’d probably get the Orbi, but it’s certainly plausible that it has the same issues. I’ve thought about blocking access at my firewall, but that would also block updates, so I’m just living with it.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Some bogleheads live in some pretty large houses.
CeeKay1729

Post by CeeKay1729 »

Do you have a Costco membership? Deco M9 Plus Tri Band is on sale for $199. Hands down the best mesh network at that price point. Tri bank with dedicated wireless backhaul.

I have spectrum 200mb and get full signal everywhere in a 3100 sq ft two story home.
BigMoneyGrip

Post by BigMoneyGrip »

Anyone using Unifi equipment? Considering adding a dream machine and a couple of access points.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

We installed 2-Google Mesh WiFi Routers earlier this year, it is fabulous. We have a 3 story house, so located the units on the 3rd and first floor.

Dave
onourway

Post by onourway »

Happy enough with our Nest system. Reasonably priced, very fast. Wired back haul is supported by buying a set of their routers rather than router + mesh points. We can max out our 450Mb Internet service in about 80% of our several thousand square feet (indoors and out).

I think any system from the major brands will be pretty decent these days.
Frankieg48336

Post by Frankieg48336 »

My Google Nest Wifi took almost no effort to setup. I would recommend it if are you already using other google services in their eco system.
Also you can add as many points as you need. I love the fact that it doubles as a voice assistant. My speed in basement is over 90% of my purchases MB from ISP.

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_wifi
arf30

Post by arf30 »

All of the major mesh WiFi products are pretty good these days. We've got the Google/Nest WiFi in our primary and vacation homes and you just plug them in and forget about them.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

Just bought the google nest mesh system from Costco. Works well for me. My house is small but I had numerous dead spots with a prior mesh-like system.
FYI Costco will have them $100 off (down to 299) starting next week. I think that’s a great deal. I was happy to pay 399.. but will go in for a price adjustment.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Similar sized house, I used to buy $300-400 Asus, Netgear routers, always had problems of needing reboots or poor performance, 6 person household, 40-60 devices (friends and smarthome stuff). These alien looking routers with all the antennas never really had stability for me. Putting extenders in just seemed to exacerbate problems.

I bought an Eero system in 2016, $500 or so if I remember, 1st version I think, haven't had any issues since, haven't looked back. So value, sure, I'm not buying new routers trying to solve a problem of everyone complaining anymore. The only disadvantage is the Eero is locked down, you're not flashing dd-wrt on it or able to do advanced things on it. But, no real reason to need this if the system just works, which Eero does for me.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ditto Google Mesh.
I use 3 .
No complaints
Excellent app also :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I went with Orbi from Netgear and very happy.

Google plays games with DNS, I'm happy to have at least one aspect of my internet experience NOT dominated by Google.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

Will a mesh wifi system work with FIOS router? I have a router in lower level but get spotty signal in back of the house.
hudson

Post by hudson »

nydoc,

I believe that a mesh system REPLACES your router. I use a Google Mesh; I discarded my old router.
jambadoc

Post by jambadoc »

We got the Orbi and it works great. No issues at all for about 5 years. It's night and day better than previous wireless routers I've had
jambadoc

Post by jambadoc »

nydoc wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:19 pm Will a mesh wifi system work with FIOS router? I have a router in lower level but get spotty signal in back of the house.
The Fios unit you have will still work as a modem so you can't get rid of it. Generally you place your cable router in "bridge mode" which essentially disables the stock router's Wifi signal and then wire it to the router you want. I remember it being really easy, though it's been a while.
RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest »

We have had the three device Eero Pro system for about a month. Works great! I hear the same about the other mesh systems too.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

nydoc wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:19 pm Will a mesh wifi system work with FIOS router? I have a router in lower level but get spotty signal in back of the house.
My fiber is att but I saw this from a google search.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Own-Ro ... rizon-FiOS

How easy it is to do this depends on how easy it is to get an ethernet cable from your ONT to where you want your router.

For more info, try a google search of “ use your own router on fios”
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Orbi for us. Very old rowhome, so not huge, but very old very thick walls. It’s solid.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

BigMoneyGrip wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:37 am Anyone using Unifi equipment? Considering adding a dream machine and a couple of access points.
Yes, Unifi is great if you are a techie and like to be able to configure your system exactly the way you want. Eg: different settings on different access points. The Wifi 6 access points are still in "early access" though, ie. beta.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

madbrain wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:42 pm
BigMoneyGrip wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:37 am Anyone using Unifi equipment? Considering adding a dream machine and a couple of access points.
Yes, Unifi is great if you are a techie and like to be able to configure your system exactly the way you want. Eg: different settings on different access points. The Wifi 6 access points are still in "early access" though, ie. beta.
Whenever our Google Onhub bites the dust, I'm considering an mesh from Amplifi - Ubiquiti's consumer line. But so far so good w/ ancient Onhub.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I bought TP-link deco system which is working well. I get 20 mbits more using it than my old apple router.

Edit: changed gbits to mbits. But happy with what I bought.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:24 am I bought TP-link deco system which is working well. I get 20gbits more using it than my old apple router.
Doubtful. You probably meant Mbits/s.
hand

Post by hand »

Yes, easy to set up, but a bit fiddly to optimize. I'm convinced that if you're willing to put in a small effort, you end up with best value, most extensible wifi setup for home. I've had good luck driving down cost by buying used from auction sites.
SpaghettiMonster

Post by SpaghettiMonster »

I just set up the Eero two weeks ago. We have a 5500sq ft two story house with the router in the attic on the second story. We had numerous weak/dead wifi spots in the house, one of which was the master bedroom. The lack of Wi-Fi would drain our data plan and battery overnight. The Eero took about 15 minutes to set up and now we have a strong signal everywhere and outside on the patio and in the garage. I can go to sleep with my phone battery at 79% and wake up with it at 77%. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
Material Guy

Post by Material Guy »

CeeKay1729 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:43 am Do you have a Costco membership? Deco M9 Plus Tri Band is on sale for $199. Hands down the best mesh network at that price point. Tri bank with dedicated wireless backhaul.

I have spectrum 200mb and get full signal everywhere in a 3100 sq ft two story home.
+1
I recently replaced my two unit Google Wifi (previous generation) mesh with the Deco M9 from Costco (3 units) after some research. It has been working very well.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

Our office IT guy recommended the Ubiquiti Amplifi since my computer that I use for doing my medical records is quite distant from my router and wifi extenders were not helping. I have been very pleased with this mesh unit.
hudson

Post by hudson »

02nz wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:22 pm https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... king-kits/

They seem to like Eero. No experience myself but lots of positive testimonials.
another review...same result...Eero = Amazon
https://bestreviews.com/best-mesh-wifi-systems
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

hudson wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 am another review...same result...Eero = Amazon

this "review" = empty rehash of amazon reviews. no substance or depth.

not much more than an another affiliate-revenue platform that plagues the internet
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

I purchased an Eero 3-pack back when they were in crowdsource/startup phase and they have been stellar. There are now a number of less expensive options. I recommend reading Engadget's article from earlier this year: My Quest to Fix My Terrible Home Wifi.
hudson

Post by hudson »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:14 am
hudson wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 am another review...same result...Eero = Amazon

this "review" = empty rehash of amazon reviews. no substance or depth.

not much more than an another affiliate-revenue platform that plagues the internet
hunoraut, you're probably right....what about this one?

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wi ... rk-systems
Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy »

Costco has the Google nest mesh with router and 3 pucks on sale $299 starting Wednesday I think ($100 off). I have just the router and 1 puck which covers my 1 story 3000sq ft house just fine.
bostondan

Post by bostondan »

I had Eero, but found it to be inadequate in our older 2800 sqft brick home. I had a 3 pack of Eero and it worked well for general connectivity, but I never got about 150-200 mbs on my gigabit internet.

I decided to buy a 3 pack of the nicer Netgear Orbi mesh system (not the Wifi 6 version) because I had read that it had a stronger wireless backhaul. I have been very pleased with the Orbi so far. I am able to get 500+ mbs wirelessly in every corner of our home. It has worked flawlessly since I first started using it.

In my office I run ethernet from my computer to the Orbi satellite (which is itself connected with wireless backhaul to the main Orbi router) and can usually get 800+ mbs.

As someone else said, I think all the mesh systems are pretty decent these days. That was not the case when the market was first created a few years ago. I think Orbi might be overkill for people with simpler needs.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

We are very happy with our google mesh system.
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

I haven't tried it myself but I have done some research and my recommendation is the Netgear Orbi line. The Amazon and Google products have good reviews but I prefer not to use hardware made by companies that are primarily interested in getting your data for advertising or marketing benefits.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

madbrain wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:24 am I bought TP-link deco system which is working well. I get 20gbits more using it than my old apple router.
Doubtful. You probably meant Mbits/s.
Yes, you are right.

I didn’t buy Google or Amazon products. I don’t think of either as concerned with privacy.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

We're not using a mesh system yet, but happy with Synology. I wanted a network line with frequent software updates to keep everything secure. It's not as easy to configure as some options, but seems to work well.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/MR2200ac