What precautions are other universities taking?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
marcopolo

What precautions are other universities taking?

Post by marcopolo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:31 pm

We just received some info from son's college about precautions they are taking forbthe fall semester.

Not sure if they will be sufficient, but I was impressed at the lengths to which they are going. Curious to hear what other schools might be doing.

Pre-arrival:

Sending out 30,000 tests to students from high incidence rate areas. Must have negative test before coming to school.

Requiring 7 days of self-isolation immediately prior to coming to school (not sure how they will enforce this)

Signing documents agreeing to precautions and ongoing monitoring.

Staggered arrival dates

During school:
Class sizes limited rooms re-arranged to allow distancing.

Random testing of 1% of population each day.

separate living areas (entire dorm buildings) left empty to accomadate isolating students as needed if they test positive.

Still not excited abnout sending kid off to school, but am feeling a little better about the precati ons being taken.

Curious to hear other experiences and thoughts.

Let's not have this devolve into a discussion about the merits of a college education, choice of majors, value of elite schools, etc, which have been discussed in other closed threads.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

02nz

Re: What precautions are other universities taking?

Post by 02nz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:31 pm

I still suspect none of this is good enough to prevent outbreaks, just a matter of time. And then everything gets shut down and goes online/remote.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:34 pm

U of Iowa is limiting in-person classes to 50 people or less, with a main focus on labs and similar classes. De-densifying the dorms, which is easier this year with reduced enrollment. Limiting cafeteria time, to-go meal options, etc. Everyone on campus needs to wear a mask.

My niece is starting as a freshman at U of Illinois. All her classes will be online, yet she is excited to be moving into a dorm and starting college.

student

Post by student » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 pm

My understanding is that many small private colleges are going f2f. Most have procedures similar to what you have described.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 pm

In before the lock since this will turn political.

Universities can do whatever they want. Its young adults we're talking about. They can separate them in class/have smaller classes, but at night, they're going to mingle, hang out, party. No way around it. It will spread and all universities will be forced to go online again.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:52 pm

I live in a college town. Believe me, the young folks are NOT quarantining, isolating, or social distancing. When in-person classes resume in a few weeks, despite the precautions, the infection rate will skyrocket. I predict the University will close again within 4-6 weeks.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:01 pm

yep, young people will do young people things. If the bars are open, they will be packed, etc.

One university has sent face masks and a thermometer to our house.

I have heard of a local university here that will have "morning classes" and "afternoon classes". Basically there will be no classes from like 11 to 1. During that time, all classrooms will be cleaned. So each classroom sounds like it will be cleaned at least twice a day.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:30 pm

The school were I teach has limited classroom capacity to 25%. Classroom seating has been labeled to maintain 6 ft social distancing. My courses will use hybrid delivery; my classes will each be divided into four groups and each group will meet with me once every other week. Basically all the course content will be online but students will have the biweekly class meeting to ask questions. Masks are required in all classrooms and all interior public spaces.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 pm

Son's school:

Handing out masks
Requiring roommates sleep "head to toe"
Cleaning high frequency of use items (water fountains for example) every 1-2 hours
Cleaning high traffic areas (library, halls) twice a day
No visitors allowed on campus in students dorms

Requiring ALL staff, faculty and students sign a Liability Waiver.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:39 pm

Was talking to a friend last night. Freshman son will be attending classes on one day only and online the rest of the week. Living in dorms. In an area that a wave of infection has not passed through yet. Online only after Thanksgiving so students don't go home and bring back COVID. I give it 4-6 weeks, but hopefully I'm being pessimistic and it works out.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Slacker wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 pm
Requiring roommates sleep "head to toe"
That's a new one, maybe they have operable windows that must be left open also.

Topic Author
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:58 pm

Sounds like many people feel the same way I do.
These are nice precautions, but young adults are going to mingle no matter what the school does. It is just a matter of weeks before they shut down.

I wish they would just admit that now and stay shut like many other schools are doing.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:04 pm

marcopolo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:58 pm
These are nice precautions, but young adults are going to mingle no matter what the school does. It is just a matter of weeks before they shut down.

I wish they would just admit that now and stay shut like many other schools are doing.

marcopolo,

Do you have the choice of taking all the courses online? Or, only sign up for online courses. That should be one of the options.

KlangFool

Topic Author
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:04 pm
marcopolo wrote:

marcopolo,

Do you have the choice of taking all the courses online? Or, only sign up for online courses. That should be one of the options.

KlangFool
Not all courses are available as online, yet. He did look into just signing up for classes that are available online, but that would disrupt progress towards his degree. It is a bit of wait and see game right now.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 pm
In before the lock since this will turn political.

Universities can do whatever they want. Its young adults we're talking about. They can separate them in class/have smaller classes, but at night, they're going to mingle, hang out, party. No way around it. It will spread and all universities will be forced to go online again.
Not sure what is political about the question.

Anyway- I hear what you say- but I think there is a good chance that highly academically oriented schools (think MIT and Caltech, etc.) will be able to make this work. Thinking students- may be persuadable. The chances for the big state universities- I think not so good.

And about college football...not a chance...not that it ever should have been part of a university anyway.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:34 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 pm

And about college football...not a chance...not that it ever should have been part of a university anyway.
+1, I think the chances of CFB this year, anywhere, are slim to none. And, even though I played D1 football myself, I am progressively agreeing more and more with the second part of your statement.

Topic Author
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:34 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 pm

+1, I think the chances of CFB this year, anywhere, are slim to none. And, even though I played D1 football myself, I am progressively agreeing more and more with the second part of your statement.
Given what is going on with Baseball right now, i would agree that CFB is not going to go very deep into the season.

X528

Post by X528 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:40 pm

Have any major universities laid-off or furloughed tenured faculty?

student

Post by student » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:00 pm

X528 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:40 pm
Have any major universities laid-off or furloughed tenured faculty?
Yes. This case is particularly severe. https://www.wksu.org/post/university-ak ... f#stream/0 There are others. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/218-col ... id-19.html https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltni ... d8b130fcae

retired recently

Post by retired recently » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 pm

Son attends a residential high school, so similar to a uni system, and they have split the student body into an A and B group. The A group, of which my son is part of, will start the semester at the school while the other half will attend online, midway they will switch. All classes are to be finished by Thanksgiving. Sports have been cancelled for the fall semester. All rooms will be singles. They require a negative test before you arrive and if you are infected, parents are to immediately come and get their child. Some of the students have opted to do online only.

Son is 17 and in excellent health so fingers crossed all will be fine. He is delighted to be returning although there are numerous restrictions as compared to previous years.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:51 pm

marcopolo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 pm
KlangFool wrote:
marcopolo wrote:

marcopolo,

KlangFool
Not all courses are available as online, yet. He did look into just signing up for classes that are available online, but that would disrupt progress towards his degree. It is a bit of wait and see game right now.
marcopolo,

It is a risk versus reward calculation. IMHO, it is too risky at this moment to go to onsite classes.

KlangFool

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:51 pm
marcopolo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 pm
KlangFool wrote:
marcopolo wrote:

marcopolo,

KlangFool
marcopolo,

It is a risk versus reward calculation. IMHO, it is too risky at this moment to go to onsite classes.

KlangFool
Yep, it is a risk reward thing, and there are no clear good answers here.

Having been a college person a long time ago, there is no doubt in my mind that if kids go back to campuses, they will no be adhering to social distancing, consistent face covering, and thorough hygiene as recommended. It's not a judgement thing, I just don't think sufficient numbers will be able to do it consistently.

And so folks have to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.

Personally, I'm a big fan of kids moving away and going to residential colleges. I think the most important things they learn, they learn outside of the classroom. So in a way, it almost won't matter what the universities do, and how they clean their own facilities.

But everybody will have to think that through and make their own decisions.

I am thankful I don't have to make this decision......

novillero

Post by novillero » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 am

My daughter is a freshman. Only freshman will be face to face, all others with limited exceptions will be remote.

She has a room to herself

Quarantined for first 14 days where school will be online (as well as orientation)

Daily temp checks

Classroom size limited

Food service will be grab and go

Masks required

Move in staggered

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 am

My university will also be having "in person" instructions. All 30,000 plus students will be tested. During the semester, if some students are tested positive, they will be quarantined in a hotel.

However, I guess most professors choose online classes, so most students will probably take online classes. I am not sure that they will come to stay in the dorm. I also think that the campus will be closed in just a few weeks, as they cannot control the infections in college students.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 am

02nz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:31 pm
I still suspect none of this is good enough to prevent outbreaks, just a matter of time. And then everything gets shut down and goes online/remote.
Even if they shut down the campus later, st least they can claim they have opened campus. Just don't know what you can claim next semester.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 am

Staggered move in. Complete a online coronavirus course. Tested within 24 hours of move in. Isolate for one day while waiting for test results. Masks required everywhere on campus, inside and out, with the exception of being alone in a private office (staff and faculty) or in your dorm room (student). No visitors in dorms. One dorm empty to be used as a hotel for positive cases. In June, it was going to be an even mix of online and in person. However, thanks to surge in cases in July, most classes will now be online. Studios, laboratories and such can be in person at discretion of the academic department. A selection of smaller freshman classes so that freshman can have a taste of the college experience. County health department given legal powers to close down local businesses that do not enforce mask and social distancing guidelines. Based on the behavior of 18-29 year olds this summer, I too am expecting it to take 4-6 weeks before the Covid dorm gets full and students are sent home.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 am

Topic is locked, not actionable.