Water heater removal---learn from my mistake

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jwulgaru

Water heater removal---learn from my mistake

Post by Jwulgaru » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 pm

Going through a big remodel right now and pulled the hot water heater the night before doing the flooring in the kitchen and adjacent laundry room (where the hot water heater is).

I left the copper intake and outflow hanging out of the wall with the intake shut off and was going to go to bed. For some reason I went back in there right as someone took a shower. Little did I know that the shower cold/hot mixer could send cold water backwards through the hot water line causing the hot water outflow that was hanging out of the wall to basically become a pressurized spigot spraying water straight into my mostly remodeled laundry room. Luckily I was able to catch the majority of it, but if I hadn't been there it would have been a flood.

Moral of the story, if you are ever in this situation make sure you spend a dollar on a PVC plug and screw it onto the outflow line as a safety.

BolderBoy

Re: Water heater removal---learn from my mistake

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:13 pm

Some brawny brute took a cold shower? Brrrrr.

Thanks for the warning, though.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

adestefan

Post by adestefan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Reminds me of the time I removed my countertops, along with the sink and drain, preparing for new countertops the next day. That night my wife asks if it's okay to run the dishwasher and I say, "Sure. That's still connected." I was reminded that while the supply was still connected the drain was no longer connected when water was coming out of my recently finished basement ceiling. Thankfully, I was sitting in the basement at the time the dishwasher decided to drain for the fist time and it just so happens that I have a HVAC vent very close to where the water was emptying into the basement ceiling. A little cleanup and a lot of embarrassment later and it still makes for a good story.

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:29 pm

yeah water can run both ways. Reminds me of an inter city story. One house the water was off in. The house next door had water. The house that was off hooked up a garden hose between the two. They both had water now. I meet the lady with the high water bill. She told me the story.

Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:33 pm

So you have got teenage boys needing cold showers at odd hours. Got it.

z91

Post by z91 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 pm

This is oddly specific.. Not sure why it warrants posting in here. I've done a lot of odd jobs around the house and every single time there was a lesson to be learned, but I won't be posting them as separate threads here.