Wasp nest

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Doom&Gloom

Re: Wasp nest

Post by Doom&Gloom »

More than several years ago 7 y/o DS found himself standing over a yellow-jacket nest in the ground while exploring the limits of our backyard. When attacked, he froze and I had to go pull him out. Even after we got to the house and were sitting on the step about 40 yards away, a yellow-jacket found him and popped him on the leg.

I ventured out and saw exactly where they were buzzing around the entrance to their nest. At dusk I dumped about a half-gallon of gasoline down there. Not very responsible, but we haven't had another yellow-jacket issue in that area of the yard. I certainly wouldn't recommend that for OP's circumstances, but going nuclear one way or another is the best policy imo.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

This will take care of the problem. Use a bulb applicator to dust the area with sevin dust. It won't hurt your plants and it will work better than most spray poisons. 5 bucks at home depot. A bit more for the duster...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sevin-1-lb- ... /203027209
3of10

Post by 3of10 »

palaheel wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:09 pm I would retrieve the lawn mower well after dark. The entire nest will be agitated for several hours. Can you see the area of the nest from a window? Their activity after being agitated will give a good idea of the nest's location.

The location of my lawn mower gave us a rough location of the nest. For us, it was just a grassy hillside and visible from a window. A couple of nights later, I used a flashlight and found the hole. A couple of nights after that, I emptied a can of wasp spray, starting around 8 feet away, and moving slowly closer to get as much spray into the hole. For each of these excursions, I dressed from head to toe, leaving nothing exposed, even though this was July in North Carolina.
+1. That is exactly what I did. I waited till dusk to retrieve the lawn mower (saw where the nest was), and later that night sprayed the area with wasp spray. I thought I saw 1 or 2 of them today, so I'll do some more spraying.
A440

Post by A440 »

3of10 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:24 pm
palaheel wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:09 pm I would retrieve the lawn mower well after dark. The entire nest will be agitated for several hours. Can you see the area of the nest from a window? Their activity after being agitated will give a good idea of the nest's location.

The location of my lawn mower gave us a rough location of the nest. For us, it was just a grassy hillside and visible from a window. A couple of nights later, I used a flashlight and found the hole. A couple of nights after that, I emptied a can of wasp spray, starting around 8 feet away, and moving slowly closer to get as much spray into the hole. For each of these excursions, I dressed from head to toe, leaving nothing exposed, even though this was July in North Carolina.
+1. That is exactly what I did. I waited till dusk to retrieve the lawn mower (saw where the nest was), and later that night sprayed the area with wasp spray. I thought I saw 1 or 2 of them today, so I'll do some more spraying.
It may also be helpful to have Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyrie" playing as you swoop in on the nest.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
3of10

Post by 3of10 »

A440 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:47 pm
3of10 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:24 pm

It may also be helpful to have Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyrie" playing as you swoop in on the nest.
No way! I'm going in "ninja" style.
Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee »

I had good results killing off a ground nest of yellow jackets by using a liquid concentrate insecticide mixed with water in a watering can (any bucket would do) and flooding the nest at night. Make it a strong mix for good measure.

A couple days later, after seeing no activity, I dug up the nest with a shovel. Super interesting!
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

AverageGolfer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 am Tempo dust works great for me.
^This
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I finally got the powdered Alpine from my parents. They had a bucket of it. After all these attempts I didn't have and wasn't going to buy a dispenser. I used an empty paper towel tube and put way more poison than needed (maybe 1/2 cup) crimping the tube in the middle to keep it from coming out. Given my delivery system not all of it made it to/near the nest. I positioned it over the hole the best I could last night and uncrimped it. No wasps today. I'm pretty sure they are all gone as they always appeared when I turned on the irrigation system and nothing today.

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Playing Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyrie" would be classy, plus have the retreat all planned out making sure doors to the house are unlocked. I have 2 experiences, there was this I already wrote about where I did initially spraying of one nest, and their buddies from another nest possibly 15 ft away stung me 4 times. But years earlier I ran across a nest in the ground under a low juniper, had to run 100 ft into the garage, but one was faster and stung me.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I'm not the OP, but I posted earlier in the thread about a yellowjacket nest in a void in my house somewhere, with yellowjackets entering and leaving via a hole around a pipe.

I tried other stuff that didn't work, then I tried Tempo Dust. No activity today, I'll see if I need to dust the hole again. So far, very effective.

I will say that despite all the comments here about how aggressive yellowjackets are, these ones seemed almost docile. Never attacked me, even when I sprayed them with aerosols or dust when they were flying beside the hole. A few even got into the house at different times, but attacked no one.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:54 pm More than several years ago 7 y/o DS found himself standing over a yellow-jacket nest in the ground while exploring the limits of our backyard. When attacked, he froze and I had to go pull him out. Even after we got to the house and were sitting on the step about 40 yards away, a yellow-jacket found him and popped him on the leg.

I ventured out and saw exactly where they were buzzing around the entrance to their nest. At dusk I dumped about a half-gallon of gasoline down there. Not very responsible, but we haven't had another yellow-jacket issue in that area of the yard. I certainly wouldn't recommend that for OP's circumstances, but going nuclear one way or another is the best policy imo.
Yes, I've gassed them to, usually have pretty good results.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:13 pm...
I will say that despite all the comments here about how aggressive yellowjackets are, these ones seemed almost docile. Never attacked me, even when I sprayed them with aerosols or dust when they were flying beside the hole. A few even got into the house at different times, but attacked no one.
They may not have been yellow jackets. I was surprised to see that in California some of the paper wasps were black and yellow like yellow jackets from the UCRiverside link posted earlier in this thread. Here in Texas the paper wasps are called red wasps for obvious reasons even if there are several different species.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:38 am[...] No wasps today. I'm pretty sure they are all gone as they always appeared when I turned on the irrigation system and nothing today.
Did the shrubbery survive? That planter is a toxic waste dump by now. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:35 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:38 am[...] No wasps today. I'm pretty sure they are all gone as they always appeared when I turned on the irrigation system and nothing today.
Did the shrubbery survive? That planter is a toxic waste dump by now. :)
So far. Not sure long term. The wasps were harming the shrubs anyway...so they were probably partially toast either way.

I do wonder about all these poisons and potency, solubility, duration, etc. I mean, if I missed the nest directly with these other insecticides, wouldn't water bring them into the nest at some point? Maybe too diluted? The Alpine seemed to cover the most wide range of insects....wasps, yellow jackets and tons of other insects. Since I had probably a gallon of powder I will likely never need again I thought no need to be shy.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Good job on the insects. Now, about the shrub - to give it the best odds on survival, keep it well watered.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The wasps reappeared after a few weeks in the same spot. I hit them again with the insecticide and they are gone again. Is it common for them to reuse an underground nest? I wonder how long the poison lasts for. I hit it with a lot. I imagine it gets diluted with rain/watering. Now that I hit them and haven't seen any, I am thinking of using a small shovel to try and destroy the nest.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 am The wasps reappeared after a few weeks in the same spot. I hit them again with the insecticide and they are gone again. Is it common for them to reuse an underground nest? I wonder how long the poison lasts for. I hit it with a lot. I imagine it gets diluted with rain/watering. Now that I hit them and haven't seen any, I am thinking of using a small shovel to try and destroy the nest.
Yes. It is common for them to use holes they have previously used or holes that were left there by other means. They are lazy SOBees. Keep after 'em!
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 am The wasps reappeared after a few weeks in the same spot. I hit them again with the insecticide and they are gone again. Is it common for them to reuse an underground nest? I wonder how long the poison lasts for. I hit it with a lot. I imagine it gets diluted with rain/watering. Now that I hit them and haven't seen any, I am thinking of using a small shovel to try and destroy the nest.
They don't usually dig the hole because, like Doom&Gloom said, they're lazy. They usually reuse holes they've found. If this planter is in a nice location, they're going to keep coming back as long as there's a hole. Cover up the hole this time around.

It's also possible you didn't thoroughly saturate the nest and some of the larva developed into adults. You might want to do a two-night treatment this time, to make sure that the nest is thoroughly saturated and all the larva/eggs destroyed. On the second night, it should be easier to hit the hole directly and send the pesticides right to the nest, since there won't be adults flying about.