Wasp nest

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mr.BB

Re: Wasp nest

Post by Mr.BB »

Well I successfully killed our yellow jacket nest under the bricks. Turns out under the wooden holder they had started building a nest. Spent a few extra bucks on the foam spray but definitely worth it. After I burnt the wooden crate I started spraying on top of the bricks and in between. Turns out those suckers were underneath there as well. After the foam cleared the dirt started looking a little bit yellow from all the yellow jackets underneath the bricks. This morning I turned over all the bricks and there were none left but I sprayed the foam into the dirt just to make sure.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I've had pretty good luck using a vacuum, then spraying what is left. Run the vacuum for a day or so. They treat it as a threat. Then get sucked down. Spray down the intake tube. Then spray around the nest. So far so good.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I hit the shrubs last night with BioAdvance which hooks to the hose and supposedly kills wasps. I gave it a good blast for a few minutes in the whole area. I saw a couple wasps this morning, but too soon to tell if it cut down the numbers or not. I'll hit it again tonight.

To those who advocate getting in there close to identify the wasp and nest, you are welcome to come do that :shock: I get a rash just when touching arborvitae not to mention the wasps....
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

BioAdvanced is a brand and not a product name, so just to be clear: There are other BioAdvanced products.

I don't think hitting it again is following directions. :) More is not better.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:50 am BioAdvanced is a brand and not a product name, so just to be clear: There are other BioAdvanced products.

I don't think hitting it again is following directions. :) More is not better.
It was the one you linked to above. 24 Hour Lawn Insect Killer. The lawn is in the title the directions explicitly say it can be used on shrubs.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am It was the one you linked to above. 24 Hour Lawn Insect Killer. The lawn is in the title the directions explicitly say it can be used on shrubs.
Yes, thanks I surmised all that. I doubt it said to repeat the treatment after 24 hours. You should poke the area with a long stick this morning and report back.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am It was the one you linked to above. 24 Hour Lawn Insect Killer. The lawn is in the title the directions explicitly say it can be used on shrubs.
Yes, thanks I surmised all that. I doubt it said to repeat the treatment after 24 hours. You should poke the area with a long stick this morning and report back.
No need to poke it. They are coming and going at a similar frequency to before.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 amNo need to poke it. They are coming and going at a similar frequency to before.
Then the insecticide did not get to the nest. If the nest is in the soil of the tub (underground), then could you simply flood the tub by filling it completely up with water?
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:23 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 amNo need to poke it. They are coming and going at a similar frequency to before.
Then the insecticide did not get to the nest. If the nest is in the soil of the tub (underground), then could you simply flood the tub by filling it completely up with water?
It has holes drilled in the bottom. So, I could put a hose in there but it would probably never totally flood. I guess it depends on if the holes are enough to keep up with the hose.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 am I hit the shrubs last night with BioAdvance which hooks to the hose and supposedly kills wasps. I gave it a good blast for a few minutes in the whole area. I saw a couple wasps this morning, but too soon to tell if it cut down the numbers or not. I'll hit it again tonight.

To those who advocate getting in there close to identify the wasp and nest, you are welcome to come do that :shock: I get a rash just when touching arborvitae not to mention the wasps....
We had a nest in a bush a few years ago. The problem, as you have here, was how to get to the nest. It took several tries, and did mild damage to the bush (which wasn't that big even) before we got rid of them (we used stuff that was less toxic to both plants and the wasps ....).

If you have a nest sitting out in the open away from plants you care about, sure, get the stuff that kills them on contact and spray the nest at night from 20 feet away. Got that problem covered ...... It's the ones buried back out of sight that are much more interesting.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I hope it isn't one of these murder hornets?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/us/murde ... index.html

good luck, I have recurring wasps on my abandoned house upstate ny.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 am To those who advocate getting in there close to identify the wasp and nest, you are welcome to come do that :shock: I get a rash just when touching arborvitae not to mention the wasps....
If you're allergic to the arborvitae, why not just hire a professional to get rid of the wasps and the plant?
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm Op

So, after the media scaring people for months they finally caught one? :oops: lol. No, the head of mine looks nothing like that and they are smaller.
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

All these ideas seem to have possibilities. I've heard that gasoline kills them if you pour it in the nest hole. I've never done it.

I have done battle with some similar pests in the past.

I wear a trench coat, long pants, a hat and maybe safety glasses. Having my escape route ready is important. I also like the wasp and hornet spray by Raid or others. It seems to kill them on contact very quickly. Yes, it might hurt the plant, not sure.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:47 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 am To those who advocate getting in there close to identify the wasp and nest, you are welcome to come do that :shock: I get a rash just when touching arborvitae not to mention the wasps....
If you're allergic to the arborvitae, why not just hire a professional to get rid of the wasps and the plant?
Because I'm cheap and stubborn. :D The more I am into a task the more I am set on completing it.

There's also the mindset, mostly from my father, that hiring a "pro" doesn't mean they are good at what they do because they call themselves a pro. In this case they may be great at getting rid of the wasps but kill my shrub. BTW....those trees were hauled up 4 floors....it was over 3 tons of materials and I don't really want them killed.

Third, by the time you call, setup an appointment, meet them, do the same for a follow up, etc. it just isn't worth it for small things.

Fourth, I have a lot of free time on my hands these days.

I don't' want to get rid of the shrub. It is 6 years old and 9 feet tall.

I bet you're sorry you asked :shock:
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 am I hit the shrubs last night with BioAdvance which hooks to the hose and supposedly kills wasps. I gave it a good blast for a few minutes in the whole area. I saw a couple wasps this morning, but too soon to tell if it cut down the numbers or not. I'll hit it again tonight.

If you can't see the nest (or the entry to it if buried), then you are just [spraying] in the wind. You're gonna need a bigger boat (ie, more time, more spray, more patience, more money, etc).
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm

So, after the media scaring people for months they finally caught one? :oops: lol. No, the head of mine looks nothing like that and they are smaller.
Ok look into this chemical it is Permethrin:

https://images.homedepot-static.com/cat ... 47d1fd.pdf

And it is used in killing mosquitoes and ticks as discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=320894&start=50#p5389785
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:41 pmOk look into this chemical it is Permethrin:
OP is using a chemical just like Permethrin, so this advice does not compute at all.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:58 pm
Because I'm cheap and stubborn. :D The more I am into a task the more I am set on completing it.

There's also the mindset, mostly from my father, that hiring a "pro" doesn't mean they are good at what they do because they call themselves a pro. In this case they may be great at getting rid of the wasps but kill my shrub. BTW....those trees were hauled up 4 floors....it was over 3 tons of materials and I don't really want them killed.

Third, by the time you call, setup an appointment, meet them, do the same for a follow up, etc. it just isn't worth it for small things.

The idea with a pro is less about quality and more about lessening the risk to yourself, since you said you were allergic. Let someone who is not allergic take care of it, in other words.

Personally, I think life is too short to live around plants I'm allergic to. I've mercilessly gotten rid of everything the previous owner had planted that I'm allergic to and if anything tries to spring up from seeds, they're similarly dealt with harshly. The only thing I tolerate is the lavender plant along the property line, since its base is technically on the neighbor's land and therefore technically the neighbor's plant. It's downwind of the house, so I don't get bothered by it too much.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

smitcat wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am The larger long range wasp killing sprays ahve never failed us with these types of problems - Raid is one we have used but I am sure others have similar sprays. Perhaps stand inside a cracked widow or door and sray away...

https://www.target.com/p/raid-wasp-38-h ... lsrc=aw.ds
Same. The only insect pests we have to speak of in our area are yellow jackets, and all of the long distance sprays designed for them that I've used do the job very well and very quickly. Just be sure to spray downwind. Eye protection and a mask are still probably a good idea anyway.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:41 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Ok look into this chemical it is Permethrin:

https://images.homedepot-static.com/cat ... 47d1fd.pdf

And it is used in killing mosquitoes and ticks as discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=320894&start=50#p5389785
Permetherin, which originally came from chrysanthemum flowers, is highly effective at killing insects that touch it. It's very effective for clothing and outdoor gear. However, it's ineffective when used on human skin (but not dangerous) because our bodies metabolize it. DEET is the opposite and only effective when used directly on skin, not clothing or equipment.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I think the OP doesn't want to use the longer-range sprays because they use a hydrocarbon solvent / propellent which is less likely to be gentle to the plant while the water-based system that they chose is. However, spraying the plant if the nest is in the soil is not going to be as effective as saturating the soil where the nest is.

I am wondering about the 4th-floor thing, too. I do know someone with a 4-story home and a nice roof-top balcony / patio which is very cool.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

livesoft wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:35 pm I think the OP doesn't want to use the longer-range sprays because they use a hydrocarbon solvent / propellent which is less likely to be gentle to the plant while the water-based system that they chose is. However, spraying the plant if the nest is in the soil is not going to be as effective as saturating the soil where the nest is.

I am wondering about the 4th-floor thing, too. I do know someone with a 4-story home and a nice roof-top balcony / patio which is very cool.
It's surprising how many respondents to this thread have not actually read the OP's description of the problem.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

TN_Boy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:09 amIt's surprising how many respondents to this thread have not actually read the OP's description of the problem.
OP wrote in the FIRST post "I tried spraying the area I thought they were in about 15 times with Raid." LOL! This might turn out to be about a defective subwoofer. Who knows?
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:35 pm I think the OP doesn't want to use the longer-range sprays because they use a hydrocarbon solvent / propellent which is less likely to be gentle to the plant while the water-based system that they chose is. However, spraying the plant if the nest is in the soil is not going to be as effective as saturating the soil where the nest is.

Yes, it is on a rooftop deck. It is not too uncommon in the urban area I live with small/non-existent yards.
bostondan

Post by bostondan »

I've had great success with making traps using fipronil (Taurus SC) that I purchased on Amazon. It is a concentrated insecticide. If you want to use it as a spraying product it requires mixing in a one gallon sprayer. It is a professional-grade insecticide and is only intended for outdoor use.

I also spray Taurus SC every few months around the perimeter of our home and it has done wonders for our bug problems. There are laws about how frequently you can spray it, presumably because it is so good at killing bugs and you don't want to get rid of too many good bugs.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:58 pm

The idea with a pro is less about quality and more about lessening the risk to yourself, since you said you were allergic. Let someone who is not allergic take care of it, in other words.

Personally, I think life is too short to live around plants I'm allergic to. I've mercilessly gotten rid of everything the previous owner had planted that I'm allergic to and if anything tries to spring up from seeds, they're similarly dealt with harshly. The only thing I tolerate is the lavender plant along the property line, since its base is technically on the neighbor's land and therefore technically the neighbor's plant. It's downwind of the house, so I don't get bothered by it too much.
I only have a reaction if I touch them which isn't really necessary since you don't normally even trim arborvitae. I remember as a kid the evergreens in front of my parents house which were some other variety also caused hives/itching on me. I think it would be a shame to only have deciduous trees in a place as cold as here. Also, since this is all on a roof deck, some options are limited since everything is in containers.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I got a picture of one (on my chicken). I think it is a paper wasp.

I can see where they go into the ground. I cannot look directly down into the hole (tree over it), but I've seen hundreds come and go from the same spot. I hit the spot with a whole can of long distance (though I did it fairly close at night) hornet/wasp spray (Hot Shot Wasp & Hornet Killer Aerosol). This morning everything seems the same. They are coming and going like nothing hit them. Do I have to get the spray right down the hole? I would think a whole can would sink into the dirt and do something. Is the nest right below the hole or do they have a tunnel that takes them to the nest?

Would trying to disturb the nest with a long pole poking into the dirt do anything?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It looks like they are creating new flying adults faster than you are killing them.

I might take a small towel and saturate it with your water-based pyrethrin-based poison and stuff it into that hole with a long stick, then water it in so that the towel is soaking wet and the soil is too. The wasps that have to crawl on the wet towel to get out will die.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

livesoft wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 am It looks like they are creating new flying adults faster than you are killing them.

I might take a small towel and saturate it with your water-based pyrethrin-based poison and stuff it into that hole with a long stick, then water it in so that the towel is soaking wet and the soil is too. The wasps that have to crawl on the wet towel to get out will die.
I'll give it a try. Thanks
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

mic

Here is a link to a Post with a similar Wasp issue.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=309967&p=5143199#p5143199
[url][/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=309967&p=5143199#p5143199url]

As I said in the linked post - I favor Fire and Burning them out.....but that's just me....

gamboolman
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am I got a picture of one (on my chicken). I think it is a paper wasp.

I can see where they go into the ground. I cannot look directly down into the hole (tree over it), but I've seen hundreds come and go from the same spot. I hit the spot with a whole can of long distance (though I did it fairly close at night) hornet/wasp spray (Hot Shot Wasp & Hornet Killer Aerosol). This morning everything seems the same. They are coming and going like nothing hit them. Do I have to get the spray right down the hole? I would think a whole can would sink into the dirt and do something. Is the nest right below the hole or do they have a tunnel that takes them to the nest?

Would trying to disturb the nest with a long pole poking into the dirt do anything?
Looks like a yellow jacket to me. They tend to get more aggressive in late summer/early fall. Something to look forward to.

Disturbing the nest with a long pole will do "something" but maybe not what you want.

Persistence is a virtue.

Paying someone to attack this problem might be money well spent.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am I got a picture of one (on my chicken). I think it is a paper wasp.

That's a yellow jacket. The behaviors you describe is also consistent with a yellow jacket nest rather than paper wasps.

Have you tried the spray I linked in my first post which is specific for ground dwelling wasps, such as yellow jackets? A long-distance wasp spray will not kill the yellow jackets as it won't penetrate far enough into the hole to get to the nest.

I'd suggest you use a can of the yellow jacket spray (which comes with a straw to attach to the nozzle) I linked earlier. Wait until dusk. Use only a red light if you need more than an ambient porch light to see the hole. DO NOT use a regular flashlight, they are attracted to the light. You use red because yellow jackets cannot see red light. Some headlamps come with a red light or you can use a flashlight with a red lens. At dusk, start spraying from about six or eight feet away, the foam will expand and cover the hole. Continue to spray as you move the can towards the hole and while still spraying, insert the straw as far into the hole as it will go. (The yellow jackets cannot survive if they try to leave the nest once the entrance if filled with the spray). Continue to spray until the can is empty (if you really want them gone). That should do it. I have a small farm and get several yellow jacket nests every year. I have had 100% success eliminating them after one treatment using that yellow jacket spray as I described.

If you wish, after spraying you can take a glass jar or bowl and invert it over the nest opening, put a weight on it and be sure it is sealed around the edges. That will keep any that may survive the spray trapped in the nest and they will die within a few days. Alternatively, you can spray on another evening if you still see activity after doing this the first time. Yellow jackets do not dig a second nest entrance, if there is a second hole, it is one that was there before the queen moved in (they don't dig their nest but instead reuse existing holes, such as those dug by rodents, where a root has rotted, or where there is another suitable void). If there was a second hole, you should have seen additional activity in a different area by now.

Good luck.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Black antenna like that are almost entirely associated with yellow jackets. Paper wasps have a part of their antenna that are yellow / orange. The fact that they also enter the ground almost assuredly means you have yellow jackets. Do not go poking yellow jacket nests with sticks.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:59 pm

Black antenna like that are almost entirely associated with yellow jackets. Paper wasps have a part of their antenna that are yellow / orange. The fact that they also enter the ground almost assuredly means you have yellow jackets. Do not go poking yellow jacket nests with sticks.
Okay. I bought spray specifically for yellow jackets today. I haven't really found them to be aggressive so I didn't think they were yellow jackets. I have sat about 6 feet from their nest for hours without them coming near me. Like I said, I don't go closer and start swatting at them though.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If you haven’t been able to get rid of the nest, consider calling in a pro exterminator. Yellow jackets tend to get nastier as the summer goes on. They also start breaking off to make new nests (perhaps in nearby planter?)
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I used the whole can of Yellow Jacket spray on the nest (Zevo brand). It said it worked from 10 feet away and I was probably less than 1 foot away (at night). The next day there were still a lot of yellow jackets. Maybe less..hard to tell...but a significant number coming and going. Some seemed to go in and leave immediately....some stayed in. I hung a Yellow jacket trap I bought a couple of hours ago....nothing in it. The reviews were mostly good....many saying if it didn't work they weren't Yellow Jackets. This is becoming a comedy of errors.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:17 pm I used the whole can of Yellow Jacket spray on the nest (Zevo brand). It said it worked from 10 feet away and I was probably less than 1 foot away (at night). The next day there were still a lot of yellow jackets. Maybe less..hard to tell...but a significant number coming and going. Some seemed to go in and leave immediately....some stayed in. I hung a Yellow jacket trap I bought a couple of hours ago....nothing in it. The reviews were mostly good....many saying if it didn't work they weren't Yellow Jackets. This is becoming a comedy of errors.
Find the Integrated Pest Management, or similarly named group, at your local state university. Send them the picture. They can tell you what species it is and how best to approach eliminating the nest. The term "yellow jackets" encompasses many species, so you need to find out what you have to find out how to eliminate it. Your local public university is the best resource, because they'll be very familiar with the local species.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Are there no dead ones that you can pick up and photograph up close next to a ruler? From the previous link to the California wasp site, we see that there are some paper wasps that look like yellow jackets, but are not yellow jackets. Maybe put 3 or 4 dead ones next to a ruler and take a close up, clear picture. In my experience, yellow jackets are slightly smaller than honeybees while paper wasps are definitely bigger than honeybees.

Also yellow jackets will hang out at your picnic and go for the soda cans and also pieces of ham. If these insects are not doing that, then I would be surprised to find out they are yellow jackets. So have a meal outside next to this planter and see what happens.

Finally, it doesn't seem that you have done exactly what I have suggested yet, but that's OK. I enjoy reading about your various exploits.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:17 pm I used the whole can of Yellow Jacket spray on the nest (Zevo brand). It said it worked from 10 feet away and I was probably less than 1 foot away (at night). The next day there were still a lot of yellow jackets. Maybe less..hard to tell...but a significant number coming and going. Some seemed to go in and leave immediately....some stayed in. I hung a Yellow jacket trap I bought a couple of hours ago....nothing in it. The reviews were mostly good....many saying if it didn't work they weren't Yellow Jackets. This is becoming a comedy of errors.
In order for the spray to work, it has to come into contact with the wasps and the nest. Spraying the entrance even from a foot away just won't do it. The insecticide has to get down the "tunnel" all the way to the wasps (which will be on the nest) to work. Otherwise, the spray is ineffective (it kills on contact, not from whatever residue is around the entrance hole the next morning) and you are just wasting your money. That's why I recommended the spray with the straw for the nozzle. It does take some courage (or perhaps stupidity) to put the can right up to the hole, stick the straw down the tunnel and spray and not everyone can do that. Perhaps, as others have recommended, it is time to call a professional exterminator.

Good luck getting rid of them!
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Not to hijack this thread, but I see wasps going into a hole in the side of my house where an A/C drain pipe comes out. It's slightly high up, but i sprayed it with Delta Dust and I think I got a good amount on the side of the hole and on some wasps too (maybe even too much). So far, no effect.

I also hit some wasps just outside the nest with Spectracide Wasp killer a few days ago. I remember using it a few years back and the wasps became sluggish and started falling very quickly. But these wasps just shrugged it off -- possible that it was old and the concentration had fallen, but it seems to have an active ingredient (Prallethrin) in the same class as Delta Dust (which is deltamethrin).

Anyway my question is -- is it possible that this nest contains wasps resistant to the active ingredient family in Delta Dust/Spectracide ? Should I give it a few more days or should I buy Tempo Dust (Cyfluthrin is the active ingredient, which unfortunately is also from the same family as deltamethrin) and see if it works ?
ernieM

Post by ernieM »

For the yellow jackets.....agree with the other posters, sprays are probably not going to do it, since you can't seem to be able to get to the nest. A few neighbors have had problems with yellow jackets and I've recommended (as others here) to use Tempo dust and a good duster, and do it in the evening. You can also use Drione dust (a pyrethrin)......Tempo I believe is still effective when wet [EDIT: oops, it's Delta dust that remains effective when wet]; Drione [and Tempo] lose(s) effectiveness when wet. A mix of the 2 [Drione plus either Tempo or Delta dust] can also work well. Still, may take a while, since you can't actually visualize the entrance to the nest.

For the wasps (SlowMovingInvestor).....I've noticed the same thing with some of the big box wasp sprays....seems they used to kill a lot quicker a few years ago...the more recent ones.....it does seem to take a while [perhaps I used 'older' product that's been on the shelf for a while??]. Delta dust can take a while to kill, since they have to ingest it....not sure how/if they can be resistant. If you want a spray with more of a quick kill, I've used a product called Wasp Freeze [it does contain petroleum distillates, so you'll want to be selective on where you spray it....definitely not inside]...same active ingredient as what you were using (prallethrin), but they seem to drop pretty quickly.
Last edited by ernieM on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

livesoft wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 pm Are there no dead ones that you can pick up and photograph up close next to a ruler? From the previous link to the California wasp site, we see that there are some paper wasps that look like yellow jackets, but are not yellow jackets. Maybe put 3 or 4 dead ones next to a ruler and take a close up, clear picture. In my experience, yellow jackets are slightly smaller than honeybees while paper wasps are definitely bigger than honeybees.

Also yellow jackets will hang out at your picnic and go for the soda cans and also pieces of ham. If these insects are not doing that, then I would be surprised to find out they are yellow jackets. So have a meal outside next to this planter and see what happens.

Finally, it doesn't seem that you have done exactly what I have suggested yet, but that's OK. I enjoy reading about your various exploits.
A lot of things were suggested and I cannot try them all. I was going to try that, but after thinking about it, I don't think that poison did anything. Using the hose hookup, I put at least 5 gallons of the insecticide on the nest area. Since the nests are made of paper, I doubt they are waterproof. They should have been killed.

As I said, since the trap made for yellow jackets caught zero, I am pretty sure they aren't yellow jackets.

I am going to try a dust that my parents have a big box of. It is called Alpine and says it is good for wasps and yellow jackets (among other things). If that doesn't work, I am probably calling it quits. It is already almost mid August and we won't be spending any time near there after Sept.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If the insecticide did nothing, then the insecticide did not come in contact with these buggers.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:57 am If the insecticide did nothing, then the insecticide did not come in contact with these buggers.
I'm not an entomologist, but can't wasps become resistant to insecticides ? Certainly mosquitoes have become resistant to certain insecticides.

I squirted yellowjackets today with lots of Spectracide (brand new), but they seemed to just shrug it off, not even deigning to attack me in response. I do remember using similar chemicals in the past, and the wasps became sluggish immediately and dropped like .. well, like flies.
Casimir

Post by Casimir »

Hire a pest control company.
Sign a written contract in advance.
Obtain a fixed price for the work.
Approve the guarantee to return within a specified time if any wasps return or build nests in vicinity.
Pay them for the work and be done with it.
itaos

Post by itaos »

Dumping soap and water into the hive before the sun comes up has worked in my experience. They are supposedly less active and all present at night. I make it quick and leave the area immediately. I cannot speak to whether this will harm your plants however.

If you've already called a pro that's probably for the best.
3of10

Post by 3of10 »

carolinaman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am Yellow jackets can swarm you and inflict many stings quickly. I ran over a nest in ground with my mower last summer. As soon as I got stung once, I stopped and ran for the house 100 ft way. I got stung at least 12 times before I got to the house. Fortunately, I am not allergic to them but I felt a little woozy for a while. They can be dangerous when provoked. Also, they normally have two entries to their nest. So you get one entry, they may attack you from the other one. Good luck in getting rid of them.
I got jinxed in reading this thread a couple of days ago. I did the same thing you did just now. Ran over a nest while mowing. The lawn mower is still out there. It was bad. Got stung at least 7-8 times. They were still on me stinging when I got to the house, and had to battle them inside the house. I still feel the pain while typing this post. I saw what others have listed in getting rid of them. What did you do to remove them?

Having two entries makes things a little more difficult, unless the entries are next to each other.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

I would retrieve the lawn mower well after dark. The entire nest will be agitated for several hours. Can you see the area of the nest from a window? Their activity after being agitated will give a good idea of the nest's location.

The location of my lawn mower gave us a rough location of the nest. For us, it was just a grassy hillside and visible from a window. A couple of nights later, I used a flashlight and found the hole. A couple of nights after that, I emptied a can of wasp spray, starting around 8 feet away, and moving slowly closer to get as much spray into the hole. For each of these excursions, I dressed from head to toe, leaving nothing exposed, even though this was July in North Carolina.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Also, go to the doc if the injured body part starts to swell, even several days after the attack. If it's just the body's reaction to all that venom, you might get a steriod. But it could also be Cellulitis, which is more serious.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.