Wasp nest

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Wasp nest

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 am

I have a wasp nest. It is on my deck in a large container containing 3 arborvitae. Leaving it isn't really an option because they appear to be killing the shrub (brown areas where they enter/exit) and it is only 2 feet from our outdoor sofa. It is very dense in the shrub so I cannot really see what is going on. However, I believe they may be burrowing wasps/yellow jackets. '

I tried spraying the area I thought they were in about 15 times with Raid. I setup a trap using fruit juice, sugar water and animal fat. I didn't catch one of them (contrary to a ton of articles advocating it). Any other ideas?

I attached a picture for reference. They enter/exit to the right of the flower at the bottom.

Last edited by michaeljc70 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

smitcat

Re: Wasp nest

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am

The larger long range wasp killing sprays ahve never failed us with these types of problems - Raid is one we have used but I am sure others have similar sprays. Perhaps stand inside a cracked widow or door and sray away...

https://www.target.com/p/raid-wasp-38-h ... lsrc=aw.ds

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 am

In what state do you live? This is important to have some idea of whether the wasps will over-winter in the same nest. In most cases, nests are used only for one season.

Meanwhile, watch this relevant video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhifTGKtUQ

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 am

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 am
In what state do you live? This is important to have some idea of whether the wasps will over-winter in the same nest. In most cases, nests are used only for one season.

Illinois

That is exactly the video I watched when I made my trap. Didn't catch one. The guy in the video must have a different variety or a much higher concentration.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 am

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am
The larger long range wasp killing sprays ahve never failed us with these types of problems - Raid is one we have used but I am sure others have similar sprays. Perhaps stand inside a cracked widow or door and sray away...

The really good sprays are hard on vegetation. It may be hard to get the stream all the way to the nest.

I would pay somebody to come out and take care of this.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 am

Just saying "Raid" covers a multitude of bug products. You need any of the 10-20 foot range solid (not mist ... ) spray devices, with the word Wasp or Hornet on the side of the can. The name often includes the word Bomb. These are pretty safe to use, especially if you prepare a refuge route. (I've never had to run, myself.) It's best done at dusk, because they are mostly back home, and thus vulnerable to mass destruction. It's not as big a deal as you think it is. It is more difficult if they are underground-my experience is mostly with paper and mud nests in trees and under eaves.

It's quite safe to check for activity the next day, from 20' away. Just don't go poking at it for a few days. As long as it's not next to fixed barbecue or something, you could spray a second time. Can you count on a good rain to start cleanup for you?

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 am

If they are yellow jackets, you should see them coming and going frequently during the day. This is what I use to kill them: https://www.spectracide.com/products/in ... rosol.aspx

Wait until dusk and you don't see any activity. If you need light, use a light with a red lens only. The can has a six-inch or so tube that attaches to the nozzle. Stick that down the hole and spray well. It is expanding foam so one treatment usually does the trick.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 am

Instead of trying to kill the wasps, it may be possible to discourage them. If you wait until dusk, so they are at home, you could put a garden hose into the entry hole and flood their nest. They have to breathe and do not like being drowned. I saw this done once and the critters could be seen carrying eggs out of the nest as they left. Since you can turn the water on and off from a distance, this could be done safely. Also, since the nest is contained in a planter, it should not take too much water to do the job. In any case, this is easy to do, so it cannot hurt to try it.

chesley

Post by chesley » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 am

with below surface nests, the OTC sprays are not particularly effective if applied from a distance. I have been trying with a yellow jacket nest under a tree roots. I sprayed directly into the hole (at night!) to no avail. I finally covered it up with gravel. In the past, with nests in the house wall, I have had to call a pest control service. I would suggest that with your problem. The powders they use and the method of application is more effective.

I have done an underground nest, in the past, with a screen to cover the hole, dishwater detergent, and a hose. I would not suggest that with the arborvitae. good luck.

AverageGolfer

Post by AverageGolfer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 am

Tempo dust works great for me.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am

If they are underground, they may be yellow jackets, which are nasty aggressive. I find the hole's exact location from as far away as possible during daylight. After dark, I take a flashlight that I hold well away from my body and use a wasp/hornet killer that shoots a solid stream, starting at least 10 feet back and slowly moving forward, getting the spray as far into the nest as possible. I empty the entire can.

I would not hesitate to call a pest control service, either.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am

I don’t like to kill things so I wait till January and knock down the nest. Until then I avoid the area. I’m in the upper midwest and our winters are harsh.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
When found, make a note of. — Captain Cuttle

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am

Yellow jackets can swarm you and inflict many stings quickly. I ran over a nest in ground with my mower last summer. As soon as I got stung once, I stopped and ran for the house 100 ft way. I got stung at least 12 times before I got to the house. Fortunately, I am not allergic to them but I felt a little woozy for a while. They can be dangerous when provoked. Also, they normally have two entries to their nest. So you get one entry, they may attack you from the other one. Good luck in getting rid of them.

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 am

I think I will give one of the long range sprays a try tonight. The main issue is I don't know exactly where their nest is. Once they fly in there, it is too dark/dense to see exactly where they are going even during the day.

AverageGolfer

Post by AverageGolfer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:41 am

If you hit the workers coming back or coat the entry-way with tempo dust the hive will be dead in a few days. https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/ ... tempo-dust

I had a big problem with a nest in my foundation. Wasps were flying around my finished basement. I found the entry behind some vinyl siding and hit the workers on their way back. They carried the dust to the hive and within days all activity ceased.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 am
I think I will give one of the long range sprays a try tonight. The main issue is I don't know exactly where their nest is. Once they fly in there, it is too dark/dense to see exactly where they are going even during the day.
I've removed a few wasps nests this summer from various areas on my property. One started under the deck which was tricky to locate.

Suggestion - put your cell phone on a selfie stick and start recording, then poke it into the bush.
You could also zip-tie the selfie stick to a long pole (tree pruner for example) this puts you pretty far away from the nest then stick the phone in and move it around to record. This would give you a good picture of what you're dealing with IMO. Thats where I'd start. You could even just zip-tie your phone to a long pole if you don't have a selfie stick, those sticks just tend to hold the phone well. It may take a try or few to get a good video showing you whats up, but thats ok as it doesn't cost anything.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:31 pm

F150HD wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
I've removed a few wasps nests this summer from various areas on my property. One started under the deck which was tricky to locate.

Suggestion - put your cell phone on a selfie stick and start recording, then poke it into the bush.
You could also zip-tie the selfie stick to a long pole (tree pruner for example) this puts you pretty far away from the nest then stick the phone in and move it around to record. This would give you a good picture of what you're dealing with IMO. Thats where I'd start. You could even just zip-tie your phone to a long pole if you don't have a selfie stick, those sticks just tend to hold the phone well. It may take a try or few to get a good video showing you whats up, but thats ok as it doesn't cost anything.
I would be scared to do that if they are yellow jackets. I ran my mower too close to a nest a couple of years ago. One of them gave me 4 really good stings on one arm before I could get away. The battle lasted into my bathroom, as it hid on my clothes as I ran into the house. Evidently, when stinging they give off a chemical that excites the entire nest. After my encounter, we watched for a couple of hours through a window as the nest would periodically erupt with a stream of yellow jackets pouring out.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 pm

We just found some yellow jackets I believe to be under a wood container, my dog and DW both got stung. I started using the yellow jacket foam spray. Going around the perimeter first. Going to flip it over and spray under there tonight.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 am
I would pay somebody to come out and take care of this.
+1. I came back from months being out of town in 2017. Heard a persistent buzzing in one of my bathroom vents. Looked around outside and saw a lot of wasps/hornets coming and going from the exhaust port.

Went through 3 cans of hornet spray. Hit Youtube and constructed a vacuum system with my shopvac running for 2 hours. Caught/killed a BAZILLION of the critters but it didn't seem to reduce the number coming/going by one iota.

Finally called an exterminator. Fascinating watching him get covered head-to-toe with a squillion angry hornets all wanting to kill him. He was wearing PPE. He retreated and told me he'd never seen such an infestation (young guy) and that he needed special permission to use "the stuff" which he guaranteed would do the job.

It did. Over the course of a week, problem solved.

His charge: $127.50. Total Time on-site: 1 hour.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:23 pm

not sure if this will work for you, but it did for us. a wasp nest decoy. Best part is it just looks like a Japanese lantern. Apparently you can also make your own with crumbled up paperbag in the shape of a wasps nest (if you're really cheap!), here's an example: https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... nest+decoy

we got ours from walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FMI-Brands-I ... /467921132

they're at amazon too:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wasp+nest+de ... _ss_i_1_10

for the past several years we've seen wasps increase in our next door's gutters and or around the wood deck. Unfortunately, they were finding a way into our screened in porch. When they did, we'd spray with Raid and it worked. But we didn't want to have to keep doing that one by one and were concerned about if we left the porch and got stung. We're also the type that capture and release bugs we see in the house, so we didn't want to keep racking up bad karma. :happy

Our next door neighbors refused to acknowledge the problem, even after one of their roofers got stung and fell off the ladder. They made us contact someone (paid for by my landlord) who said it was the neighbor's problem, not ours. Didn't matter. They didn't spend a dime to correct the problem that affected us. So I started resarching...

Found out wasps are territorial, meaning if they see another larger nest, they buzz off (pun intended) and set up shop elsewhere. I got this decoy, but put it up in the early summer this year after we started seeing them. I thought to myself I should have put it up before they started building their nests. But no matter, they have indeed left the area. My girlfriend is amazed at how well it worked.

We were dubious, but the reviews were better than other stuff we saw baiting them with beer/soda, etc. And that solution was dangerous because the liquid would dehydrate after a while and you'd have to refill (and they could be in the trap alive!). This decoy was cheap ($10 for a two pack of decoys) so if it didn't work, no big loss.

I hang mine close enough to where they are, and they have left completely. It works. And not a single wasp was killed. Hope it helps you.

You can find it on amazon as well as walmart (both links above), but I think walmart had the better price or we ordered other stuff as well, can't remember.

let us know if it works, or doesn't.

now if I can only find something that gets rid of the spotted lanternflies. man those guys are fast. and they're going to destroy our trees.
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Could you tent it with a plastic drop cloth and then "bomb" it? I'd most likely just call my exterminator. I had them out once to get rid of yellow jackets and since he did not have to suit up, they did not charge.

I was a little freaked the other day to find a grass wasp in my window. Harmless but looked mean. My brother gets sand wasps, again harmless. I assume you can see the nest and that this is one of the mean wasps.

Post by 123 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:41 pm

Use one of the 10 - 20 feet away Wasp Sprays but do it late at night or before sunrise. You need to do it when the wasps are most likely to be inactive and at the nest.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:42 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote:

Illinois

That is exactly the video I watched when I made my trap. Didn't catch one. The guy in the video must have a different variety or a much higher concentration.
Interesting. No tries with meat? I've watched a lot of that guy's videos, and I believe them to be legitimate.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:42 pm

You have to make sure there is not another nest a short distance away. Last year I got one hornet/wasp nest in the ground around the roots of an arborvitae, which had buddies 10 ft away in a nest inside a climbing plant. So when I fought them coming out of the ground at several spots, the ones from the climber attacked me. I then sprayed both locations every day for a week, the ones coming out of the ground took the longest, finally covered that one with gravel. This year there is no activity, I also removed the climbing plant. After none of them remains alive, I would prune the arborvitae at the surface so you can seen any leftover holes.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 pm

palaheel wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:31 pm
F150HD wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am
michaeljc70 wrote:

I would be scared to do that if they are yellow jackets. I ran my mower too close to a nest a couple of years ago. One of them gave me 4 really good stings on one arm before I could get away. The battle lasted into my bathroom, as it hid on my clothes as I ran into the house. Evidently, when stinging they give off a chemical that excites the entire nest. After my encounter, we watched for a couple of hours through a window as the nest would periodically erupt with a stream of yellow jackets pouring out.
Yeah, if they are paper wasps, these guys are not real aggressive. If they are yellow jackets or hornets, you want a really really long stick. They will try for a while to get you. The type of critter matters :-)

I'll repeat, dealing with a nest deep inside a bush is hard (this is practice not theory :-). The stream/kill on contact sprays state they may be harmful to vegetation (read the label). And if the nest is deep in the bush, hard to get there.

Plus the OP notes that the deck is almost unusable. If you get them really stirred up, it will be completely unusable.

Good luck!

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:42 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Cheez-It Guy wrote:

Illinois

Interesting. No tries with meat? I've watched a lot of that guy's videos, and I believe them to be legitimate.
From what I read, early in the year (spring) they like meat/protein. Later in summer they like sweet. I did add some pork fat for good measure though a couple of days ago. I might go empty it and reload it to give it one more try. I doubt even if it did work it would get the whole nest.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:30 pm

I love yellow jackets that come visit me while I am eating outside. There are few things about them that are so cool; here are two of them:
1. They will chew off a piece of ham or bologna and fly away with it. It is so cool to see them work on getting that bite to eat.

2. They will be bothered by a metal fork or other non-natural object that comes near them and fly away, but if you take a blade of grass or a dandelion stem, then you can push them around on your plate or dunk them in your lemonade that they just are not bothered by the leaf or stem that they are familiar with.

Recent article on wasps from this past week: https://www.nytimes.com/article/paper-w ... ckets.html

Anyways, fogging the nest is trivial and killing all of them is trivial. You just have to make sure the kids and pets aren't around. If you are worried about your shrubbery, just hose it off after you use the wasp killing insecticide. Those wasps are not wearing PPE and will not survive.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:42 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Cheez-It Guy wrote:

Illinois

From what I read, early in the year (spring) they like meat/protein. Later in summer they like sweet. I did add some pork fat for good measure though a couple of days ago. I might go empty it and reload it to give it one more try. I doubt even if it did work it would get the whole nest.
I think you're correct that even if successful, it would not eliminate the whole nest, but eliminating potentially several hundred individuals would not be trivial, and would make it easier to deal with the remnants. How did you bait it with fruit juice and sugar water upside down? The most effective trap design in the video appeared to require something solid that could be mounted upside down. Then when they take back off, if the bait is properly spaced, they hit the water which has had the surface tension broken with detergent and quickly drown. In any case, sounds like it didn't work for you, which is regrettable given the apparent effect in the video.

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:23 pm

I just came back from the store and it seems all the wasp/yellowjacket sprays warn against using it on evergreens.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:28 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:23 pm
I just came back from the store and it seems all the wasp/yellowjacket sprays warn against using it on evergreens.
Test your sprays on a small unseen area of your plants. You can have a negative control (no treatment), too. So spray and let sit. Spray and wash away the next day. What happens? After a day? A week?

And you can use other insecticides such as triazicide.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 pm

Napalm it
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
I had a 6 inch diameter circle of dead grass when I evicted my Yellow Jacket nest. In your situation, I'd call a professional and explain the situation.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:04 pm

Yellow Jackets?

Nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
They WILL have another entrance exit, so be careful.
Domyownpestcontrol will have a product that will work.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am

+1
Long range spraying wasp killer.
1 in each hand....Quick Draw McGraw!!!
Night is best as bees are on the nest, especially when it is cold. Works on killer bee nests.

Since you can’t hurt the evergreen.
Hose sprayer on full??
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

ballons

Post by ballons » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Neem oil, sevin dust (they sell a liquid), or diatomaceous earth.

https://ask.extension.org/questions/261229

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 pm
Napalm it
This has probably already come up, but you must be sitting on quite the napalm stores since it is your go to solution.

It’ll cure what ails ya!

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:43 pm

Spray it at night. They will all be inside and won't leave. It will allow you to get really close and avoid vegetation.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am
I don’t like to kill things so I wait till January and knock down the nest. Until then I avoid the area. I’m in the upper midwest and our winters are harsh.
Wasps are territorial and won't build if they see another nest. I leave the dead nests up so I don't have to kill so many wasps. The whodidntante estate has many dead nests. I did have to clear off the gigantic, dead hornets nest in a tree on my front lawn though because it was scaring people.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 pm
Yeah, if they are paper wasps, these guys are not real aggressive. If they are yellow jackets or hornets, you want a really really long stick. They will try for a while to get you. The type of critter matters :-)
I no longer get rid of paper wasp nests. They're relatively chill and they never attack me when I'm doing yard work, even when I'm using the mower. I'd much rather there be paper wasps flying around and their presence has so far deterred their more aggressive cousins from moving in.

For the OP, identifying whether these are paper wasps or yellow jackets would be my first step (edit: I'd suspect yellow jackets by described behavior, but it doesn't hurt to use a photo ID guide to be sure). If they are yellow jackets, I'd probably call in an exterminator who has proper PPE to deal with the colony (and any side colonies).

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:18 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 pm
I no longer get rid of paper wasp nests. They're relatively chill and they never attack me when I'm doing yard work, even when I'm using the mower. I'd much rather there be paper wasps flying around and their presence has so far deterred their more aggressive cousins from moving in.

For the OP, identifying whether these are paper wasps or yellow jackets would be my first step (edit: I'd suspect yellow jackets by described behavior, but it doesn't hurt to use a photo ID guide to be sure). If they are yellow jackets, I'd probably call in an exterminator who has proper PPE to deal with the colony (and any side colonies).
I believe they are paper wasps. Though looking at pictures of paper wasps and yellow jackets they are quite similar looking. They aren't aggressive in that if I am sitting or walking near they come after me. Obviously I haven't tried swatting them. I generally leave bees/wasps alone and find they don't bother you. However, I have some family members that go nuts at the sight of one near them.

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:37 am

AverageGolfer wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 am
Tempo dust works great for me.
This seems the way to go. I believe that is what exterminators use.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:57 am

Tempo dust (cyfluthrin) is just another pyrethroid insecticide which are often mentioned here on bogleheads.org. Permethrin, bifenthrin, allethrin, triazicide (cyhalothrin), pyrethrin are all similar insecticides. These things are so good that even Sevin dust is changing rom carbaryl to zeta-cypermethrin. I basically consider them all the same. Why are there so many that are just alike? Patents, my friend, patents.

I would only buy enough to last a month, so that neither my garage nor my kitchen have any chance of becoming a toxic waste dump.

See also: https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/ipm/ent-4002/

As for wasp sprays hurting your evergreens, I would suspect it is not the pyrethroid insecticide in them, but the volatile carrier fluid/gas that does the damage.

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:08 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:57 am
Tempo dust (cyfluthrin) is just another pyrethroid insecticide which are often mentioned here on bogleheads.org. Permethrin, bifenthrin, allethrin, triazicide (cyhalothrin), pyrethrin are all similar insecticides. These things are so good that even Sevin dust is changing rom carbaryl to zeta-cypermethrin. I basically consider them all the same. Why are there so many that are just alike? Patents, my friend, patents.

I would only buy enough to last a month, so that neither my garage nor my kitchen have any chance of becoming a toxic waste dump.

See also: https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/ipm/ent-4002/

As for wasp sprays hurting your evergreens, I would suspect it is not the pyrethroid insecticide in them, but the volatile carrier fluid/gas that does the damage.
Are any of those available locally (like at a big box store)? It seems like I am going to have to order online.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:08 am
Are any of those available locally (like at a big box store)? It seems like I am going to have to order online.
They are all available, but you would have to look at the label because they will have a brand name like Tempo or Sevin or Triazicide or Hornet & Wasp Killer. Here is an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide ... /100137837

or look at this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/BioAdvanced ... /303307132 What is the active ingredient in the latter one? Hint: What is the active ingredient of Tempo?

Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:27 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:08 am
They are all available, but you would have to look at the label because they will have a brand name like Tempo or Sevin or Triazicide or Hornet & Wasp Killer. Here is an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide ... /100137837

or look at this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/BioAdvanced ... /303307132 What is the active ingredient in the latter one? Hint: What is the active ingredient of Tempo?
Thanks. It is odd that some mention wasps and flying insects and many don't. The liquid ones might also be a problem for the shrubs.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:27 am
Thanks. It is odd that some mention wasps and flying insects and many don't. The liquid ones might also be a problem for the shrubs.
The latter one mentions wasps. They will drop out of the air, they will die so fast. But the latter one can be used for chinchbugs, grubs, stink bugs, ladybugs, basically ANY and ALL insects. The deal is that the insect has to come in contact with the poison. As for the shrubs, water-based things like this should not be bad for the shrubs. Once again, you can test some on the back side of your planter.

But you have listed 3 guesses for the kind of wasps these are. Use a long handle of a rake or something (a fallen branch or limb?) and push back the shrubbery to see the nest. You might have to do this over 3 episodes. Once you see the actual nest, take a picture. If you hit the nest with the water-spray of the insecticides I linked, then they will be dead in less than 10 minutes. Any that are out and return to the nest will be dead in 10 minutes.

This whole thread will be over with in less than 30 minutes.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:13 am

YouTube used to have a great video of a group of brave souls suiting up, snagging a hornet's nest out of a tree at night, slam dunking it into a metal garbage can, and then incinerating it with improvised torches in the middle of the street. Epic background music. Unfortunately it was removed.
Last edited by Cheez-It Guy on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am

True story: One of the first times I went canoeing at scout camp, the canoe in front of us was paddling and switching their oars from the side to side periodically. We saw them go under an overhanging branch with a hornet nest about the size of a basketball hanging down low. The lead paddler decided at exactly that moment to swing his oar up through the air and smacked that nest so hard that you can guess what happened. We thought it was totally hilarious!

megabad

Post by megabad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 am

Seems like a pretty simple problem to me. Just need to find the nest and remove. I only ever use spray to get rid of enough of them for me to get to the nest. If you don’t want to or can’t, I would just hire a pro. If it were me, I would cut back around the entrance point until I could see the nest. If it were underground I would pull the whole plant out, remove the nest and replant. Understand that a hired pro might not be as careful with your plants if that is a concern.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:18 am
I believe they are paper wasps. Though looking at pictures of paper wasps and yellow jackets they are quite similar looking. They aren't aggressive in that if I am sitting or walking near they come after me. Obviously I haven't tried swatting them. I generally leave bees/wasps alone and find they don't bother you. However, I have some family members that go nuts at the sight of one near them.
Here is a wasp identification guide with some really clear, close-up pictures of some species (it is California specific in the species listed): https://wasps.ucr.edu/wasp-identification

You can also look up the extension or integrated pest management website of your state's public university to see if they have pictures of the species common in your area.

One useful ID feature in those pictures is to note how the paper wasp is dangling its back legs. Paper wasps do that while they're flying or any time the back legs aren't in use. If the legs do not dangle in flight, then it's probably not a paper wasp.

If it is a paper wasp, the nest is probably much higher up in the plant than the entrance point. Paper wasps rarely build their nest that close to the ground. And if the nest is underground, it's almost assuredly a species of yellow jacket.