How long to keep a car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mr.BB

Re: How long to keep a car

Post by Mr.BB »

Drove my last car 271,000 miles (10 years). Traded it in when the repair bills started to greatly increase.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

Scrapped out 18 YO and 21 YO Toyotas in the last 6 months. Both only around 200K miles. Younger one had major engine problems caused by first owner never changing oil. Old Camry got T-boned... thankfully nothing hurt but the car. Averaging out the price paid used for the Camry, less the mini-tort settlement, and scrapyard check, it cost $550 per year. Might be my best yet.
Greg in West Mitten
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:35 pm
Rudedog wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:26 pm I drive a 1989 Toyota Camry. 31 years old. Great car. Air conditioning doesn't work. Just put a new battery in it. Called it the "dog car" as I hauled our dog Petey around in it until he passed. Wife drives a 2007 Toyota Sienna, its been a great minivan.
A car without air conditioning is not a "great car." My first several cars didn't include air conditioning, but I've moved on and wouldn't consider driving a car without it today.
Awwwwww...........Just roll the windows down, pretend its a convertible. 8-)
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

I have a 17 year old Honda Pilot with 195K . Our trusted mechanic tells me it is good for another 100K easily. We have babied the car and have never had a problem with it. Trying to decide if I should let my college aged daughter drive it. College is 5 hours away.
StrivingVigorously

Post by StrivingVigorously »

Just retired a 2003 honda civic workhorse. 291k miles.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Personally, I would not keep a car now past 100k miles or 10 years. The reason being is that crash abilities and crumple zones are constantly being improved upon, advanced crash avoidance technology, new technology in cars (pure vanity), and just less willingness to do maintenance like new shocks/struts/spark plugs and other stuff that wears/tears with age (none of it is hard, I'd just rather not deal with it.) I have an inherent distrust for other drivers on the road, and I'd rather not risk my life or limb to save a buck. Therefore, buying on a more accelerated timeframe than probably many on here is my personal choice.

At the end of the day, "losing" $20k to $40k on a car every 5-7 years is not going to change my retirement much at all. It's not going to be the difference between retiring at age 55 versus age 60 or 65. I think the detriment cars play on one's finances and net worth are overstated in forums like this one. People here seem to like to build nest eggs that can survive two nuclear bombs and two economic/government collapses. That's fine... I guess...
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I have an 11-year old car with 115k miles on it and don’t see any reason to replace it for several years, because since the pandemic started, I’ve only had to fill it up with gas 3 times, meaning I’m probably on a pace for less than 2,000 miles in a year. Might as well wait until electric vehicles are more abundant and cheaper.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Rudedog wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 am
tibbitts wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:35 pm
Rudedog wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:26 pm I drive a 1989 Toyota Camry. 31 years old. Great car. Air conditioning doesn't work. Just put a new battery in it. Called it the "dog car" as I hauled our dog Petey around in it until he passed. Wife drives a 2007 Toyota Sienna, its been a great minivan.
A car without air conditioning is not a "great car." My first several cars didn't include air conditioning, but I've moved on and wouldn't consider driving a car without it today.
Awwwwww...........Just roll the windows down, pretend its a convertible. 8-)
Two of my previous 3 cars did not have AC and I drove them for nearly a decade while living in Houston and Mesa, Arizona. Never even really thought about it and I never turn on the AC in our new car. Now my wife, if it isn't between 72 and 76 degrees, she's either on the brink of hypothermia or heat stroke. Because she does the majority of the driving, good AC is pretty much her #1 priority when car shopping.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Rudedog wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:26 pm I drive a 1989 Toyota Camry. 31 years old. Great car. Air conditioning doesn't work. Just put a new battery in it. Called it the "dog car" as I hauled our dog Petey around in it until he passed.
My 2004 CR-V (only 185,000 miles) is falling on hard times. For one thing, the AC doesn't work. I figured no problem, just roll down the window if it's hot. The problem with that is the AC is also the defogger so not having AC can actually be dangerous.
OffGridder

Post by OffGridder »

2004 Toyota 4Runner. 218K miles. Original owner. Daily driver including trip to Yukon across the Arctic Circle last summer. Goal is 300K or another 4 years, whichever comes first
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 pm People are willing to pay a lot to not be inconvenienced and to feel safe, even if they are very unlikely to inconvenienced or unsafe in a less costly alternative. And the status of American culture for a long time has been that the type of vehicle you drove was indicative of your social status. Thankfully in some ways at least, it seems that that is changing with the younger generations.
Having seen what cars some of our elder's classmates got dropped off to school in, I just shrugged my shoulders when I heard how low their college EFC is.

We're in the two comma club, but drive a 97 Corolla, and an 04 Accord. We are gladly shelling off for those "MIT Mom"/"MIT Dad" stickers though...
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase