How long to keep a car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: How long to keep a car

Post by Sandtrap »

The Story of Blue Betsy
(picture is not actually of Blue Betsy but pretty close).

Blue Betsy, originally owned by a fireman friend for over 15 years in a high salt tropical climate. He bought her brand new for several thousand dollars.
Mileage 180k. Rusted floor, leaked. Rusted roof, leaked (water drained out of floor so fine).
Radiator had no fins but did not leak or overheat.
R4 4 cylinder engine, standard shift, zero extras.
Blue Betsy has original clutch and drivetrain. No repairs done or needed. Ran great.

Blue Betsy was given to me by my old best friend as an "extra car" for free. I drove Betsy for a couple years.
My son learned how to drive on Blue Betsy, then drove Blue Betsy to school every day for several years, then gave Blue Betsy back to me after buying a VW Golf.

I drove Blue Betsy for awhile then finally sold Blue Betsy to a nice retired Carpenter fellow for $800 in cash.
I had put in zero repairs except for some Bondo and blue spray paint and a set of new tires in the entire time I had Blue Betsy.

I would like to think that Blue Betsy has been restored and is still on the road.

Blue Betsy:
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:19 pm The Story of Blue Betsy
Reminds me of a red Datsun pickup a good friend of mine had for over 20 years. It finally got swept out to sea by Katrina; he had to leave it behind when he evacuated. Probably on the bottom of the gulf somewhere swimming with the fishes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

1980 Ford F-150 Pickup Truck.
Bought new in 1980. Driven 200k+ miles.
300 CI Inline 6 Cylinder.
Construction Work Truck, driven cross country, hauled everything it should not have.
Replaced rear leaf springs 2x because they wore out. New paint job when it faded. OEM paint was horrible!
Best accessorie: Great stereo cassette player. Custom Heavy Duty Overhead Pipe Cargo Rack made for forklift drop in loading.
(not actual pic but close)
mancich

Post by mancich »

Bought a 2019 Accord last August. My goal is to keep it at least 15 years. Reliable, cheap and efficient, just like me :D
novillero

Post by novillero »

I drive a 2006 Prius with 260,000 miles on it and it still gets up to 50 mpg. It’s dinged up, but I don’t see a reason to get rid of it.
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

Till the first pricey repair quote :sharebeer
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My vehicle is 19 years old this month. Next year she will need a timing belt (not a chain). That is still considerably less than a year's worth of car payments which is my benchmark. In the past 12 months, I have spent $68 on her for the inspection, oil change and after all these years, a few lightbulbs had burned out. I will keep her as long as possible. Once the heat breaks, she's going to get a good washing and coating. I was once at a nursery putting plants in her and someone came up and offered to buy her, no way.

I am a terrible driver. Most folks who ride with me once then offer to pick me up. At 19 years old, she doesn't have 75,000 original miles and that includes a trip across the country. The last set of tires dry rotted.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

2002 Mercury passenger car here. 243K on the OD.
My sole vehicle.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
squirm

Post by squirm »

It so depends. When the stock market only goes up, lots of people buy things including cars, it's almost like easy and found money.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I usually keep my Landcruisers about 350K thats about 8-9years for me...I service it every 10K and have a great gas rebate credit card. I drive this truck cause it is big, solid, well built and I enjoy the ride of it. A LC will also get you just about anyplace that something with four wheels can go if you have the patience and the knowledge to do so...that said about 90% of mine is on the interstate between my home and work which is a 112 mile trip daily roundtrip. I think most cars now days can go 200K easy with good maintence and the correct lubes. Just my thoughts. Drive sober.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 am
Are people here really keeping their cars for 20 - 25 years?
I doubt the typical BH keeps a car 20 or 25 years. But where do you think they go after the 17 year BH average ownership (I have no reason to doubt Hockey10's analysis)? If they still run someone buys them. I had a friend that only bought what he called "disposable cars". These were really old cars that he bought for almost nothing, usually less than $500. If he got a few years out of each one he figured he was way ahead. Every once in a while he would get like 6 years out of one of them, and he was in heaven (and let everyone know how smart he was). Of course you have to have a pretty high tolerance for unexpected break-downs, but my 2004 Honda CR-V (getting close to being a disposable car) has never stranded me.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Just donated my 26-year station wagon that I occasionally use as a dump truck, for which the liability insurance was listed $455/yr. DW likes the extra space in the garage.
I was shocked that our total auto insurance costs for our now only car decreased by only $73 because of the multicar discount of having the older car.
wander

Post by wander »

I am for buy new and keep the car as long as I can. Mine is 23 years old Nissan Truck with 400k miles. I completed a trip to Quebec, Canada a few months ago without any problem. We mainly use the truck for trips to Lowes & Home Depot now. I only do the maintenance but I know car problem before it happens. My other car is 24 years old Toyota sedan at 280k miles which is my daily car, and I know that I can put a lot of miles to it (with all Carplay, Android, Google maps, backup camera, ... upgrades).
I like dynamic cruise control, so that will be a needed feature of my next car when I shop.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

OldBallCoach wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am I usually keep my Landcruisers about 350K thats about 8-9years for me...I service it every 10K and have a great gas rebate credit card. I drive this truck cause it is big, solid, well built and I enjoy the ride of it. A LC will also get you just about anyplace that something with four wheels can go if you have the patience and the knowledge to do so...that said about 90% of mine is on the interstate between my home and work which is a 112 mile trip daily roundtrip. I think most cars now days can go 200K easy with good maintence and the correct lubes. Just my thoughts. Drive sober.
350k miles!
Wow.
That is epic.

What kind of repairs have been needed in 350k miles?

Thinking of getting a Landcruiser.
j :happy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

wander wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm I am for buy new and keep the car as long as I can. Mine is 23 years old Nissan Truck with 400k miles. I completed a trip to Quebec, Canada a few months ago without any problem. We mainly use the truck for trips to Lowes & Home Depot now. I only do the maintenance but I know car problem before it happens. My other car is 24 years old Toyota sedan at 280k miles which is my daily car, and I know that I can put a lot of miles to it (with all Carplay, Android, Google maps, backup camera, ... upgrades).
I like dynamic cruise control, so that will be a needed feature of my next car when I shop.
This is incredible!
400k miles!
What kind of repairs has the Nissan Truck needed?
Midsize or full size?
V8 or V6?
4wd?

Geno

Post by Geno »

as long as possible
We have 09 Rav4 46k and 06 Tundra 62k and will drive it till wheels fall off.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
wander

Post by wander »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm
wander wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm I am for buy new and keep the car as long as I can. Mine is 23 years old Nissan Truck with 400k miles. I completed a trip to Quebec, Canada a few months ago without any problem. We mainly use the truck for trips to Lowes & Home Depot now. I only do the maintenance but I know car problem before it happens. My other car is 24 years old Toyota sedan at 280k miles which is my daily car, and I know that I can put a lot of miles to it (with all Carplay, Android, Google maps, backup camera, ... upgrades).
This is incredible!
400k miles!
What kind of repairs has the Nissan Truck needed?
Midsize or full size?
V8 or V6?
4wd?

It's a V6, FWD. I replaced 1 alternator, 2 timing belts, spark plugs, spark plug wires. They are just normal maintenance. Engine and transmission are original and have never been touched.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

DH's 2001 Silverado PU (driving it less due to thefts in area) he got a mug and hat from Chevy for 200K miles Purchased new Summer 2000,
My 2007 Lexus ES350, 127K, still looks new, purchased used with 1400 miles on it, less driven last 2 yrs.
2013 Tahoe, purchased 12/17 - our every day driver. DH does the maintenance, which has been low on all.
We were married in 1975 and immediately purchased a new Malibu Classic (swivel bucket seats!). It it 60K miles and I talked DH into a new car. then another a few years later. We bought a Cutlass in 1980s at 17% interest. No clue. Finally learned, after purchasing 5 cars in 5 yrs, and bought a Honda in 2000. Sold it to a neighbor and bought the Lexus in 2008. Neither of our 2 kids have ever purchased a car new.
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

I recently purchased a lightly used 2004 Accord top of the line model with 240k miles on it. It needed major service which I did myself and it will need additional major engine work which I plan on completing over the next 6 months by myself again. I hope to keep it for 10 years.

Granted, I don’t drive much. I prefer low cost vehicles that I can fix myself as I enjoy working on cars and someday plan on getting a nice vehicle that I can rebuild and repair myself after I have learned my mistakes from working on inexpensive cars. I am sure I will no longer want to work on vehicles by the time I get to the retirement age but that is still decades away for me.
Elric

Post by Elric »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 am I just read that the average age of cars on the road in the US is twelve years.

Thought I was doing well having my last one for seventeen. But roughly doing the math, it seems to me that the average expected "in registration" time of a car is now about twenty years. I assume many are extra cars, only used occasionally. But still, if that's the average, there must be plenty of twenty-five year old cars still being registered, insured and driven.

I suspect few keep a vehicle for 20-25 years, but I also suspect many vehicles may be operated by multiple owners for that many years. Keep a car for 5-15 years, then it goes to a new owner rather than scrap.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin
zie

Post by zie »

Sure, I'll keep it 20-25 years if it keeps running.

If it's a $2k repair for a $2k vehicle then I'd replace. So roughly when the repairs are approaching replacement cost(of that vehicle, not of a new to me vehicle).
vshun

Post by vshun »

I used to keep the cars too for very long time, 15 years or so for to allow pace of change but now I find the pace of electronics and safety conveniences compelling too change more often.
To people who replied that they change the cars at 250k miles , I am assuming you do not need Android auto/apple car play, so do you:
- driver with your smartphone in your hand looking at the maps app, or
- use phone attachment (had many, phones keep falling out of it) or
- use Garmin GPS from nineties and pay yearly update for maps data, or
- use paper maps from AAA era

Also if you believe safety features are overrated and not for you you have not seen backup camera, rear crops traffic detection, blind spot monitoring, etc. You are working much harder without these and driving less safe, especially being out of busy Costco parking lot. My Outback 2010 has none of it even backup camera. When my son backed out at night of driveway and hit the car parked at night on the street it costed me in insurance premiums. Newer car with backup camera would give him visibility, and even newest cars also will beep and alert to obstacle behind. Or that some vehicle, pedestrian or cyclist approaching.
Drivetrain engineering improvements will also result in at least 25 percent better fuel economy than same model of several years ago.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

I have a weakness for buying new cars when I shouldn’t. Fortunately, I’m lazy, so I’ve only bought 3 in the last 20 years, and we’re driving the 2007 Prius and 2014 Leaf. My sister still has our 2003 CR-V. Her 2004 CR-V died the same week I bought the Leaf, a car with an 80-mile range, at a dealer 200 miles away, while on a business trip. :oops:
wander

Post by wander »

vshun wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 am I am assuming you do not need Android auto/apple car play, so do you:
You can't assume what people can do with their cars. My car is old, but I have installed Backup camera integrated in the stereo with built-in DVD display that I can see rear view when in reverse (not the portable one that is plugged into cigarette light like a lot of people do). It works just like any new car or even better as my stereo is top of the line Kenwood. My DVD player has built-in Garmin navigator for backup because I mostly use Apple Car Play and Android Auto directly from my stereo. Cellphone sometimes has reception problem in the mountain areas, so having a Garmin navigator is a plus for that situation. People who are driving old cars are not living under the rocks. I find blind spots detectors are annoying. If I want, I can install it too.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

wander wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 am Cellphone sometimes has reception problem in the mountain areas, so having a Garmin navigator is a plus for that situation.
I'm amazed that this myth is still spread. Most smartphones can easily be used to navigate independent of cell phone reception. Just download the map(s) you need via wifi before your set out, and switch your navigator to function with data off.

I use HERE We Go, but most navigators including Google will function just fine without cell phone reception so long as you don't need traffic data.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I kept a daily driver Toyota for 11 years once, and should have kept it loner as a fun part timer. After that came a 7 year stint with a Jeep Liberty. Lately I keep a car one year past the manufacturer's warranty expiration if it has been AOK, or until the expiration if it has caused some trouble.
fire5soon

Post by fire5soon »

My daily driver is 16 years old and my project car is over 20 years old. I'm a car guy though and enjoy maintaining/repairing the vehicles myself, so my thoughts on the matter may be skewed.

I personally don't like newer cars with all the extra features and prefer more simple models. In fact my favorite car to drive was a 1965 (which I never should have sold, but that's a story for another thread....)
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 am Are people here really keeping their cars for 20 - 25 years?
It's easily doable. My previous car was 21 years old and only scrapped due accident damage. Its replacement is now eleven years old and still in great condition. Our other car is 16 years old and in good condition.

I don't see us replacing either car anytime soon.
mintybarcode

Post by mintybarcode »

I keep an extra 2009 Hyundai Sonata which I use only occasionally. Typically for things I don't want to stink up my daily driver with - mulch, take-out food, lumber etc.

2009 was the last year of this model, before Hyundai got their design act together. Mine is such an ugly car that it is literally the only vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't cause me to have any reaction whatsoever when it gets dinged. I love having the freedom of a POS car - I often find myself humming Adam Sandler's POS car song.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

bottlecap wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:06 am
I suspect there are lots of people who drive them 4-5 years and/or 90-100k miles, get scared of repairs, and sell them.

JT
I bought a lot of those over the years. :D

I'm on my first new car (probably the only route I'd go now). I've had it for 7 years and it only has 60K miles on it so probably another 7-10 years before I feel the need to get something different.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

I'm keeping my 2003 Lexus RX300, with 210k. miles on it as long as I can!! I'm so proud to drive this older car. I can feel the transmission slipping, so I need to get it in to 'my car guy'. My goal is to drive this one as long as possible then have "my care guy" keep his eyes peeled for an older Lexus RX300 or RX350 for me that doesn't cost much. I do not want another car payment ever, as long as I live. My husband drives a 2020 Lexus NX and hates the blind spot in it. He has already had a wreck in it due to the blind spot.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:52 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am I usually keep my Landcruisers about 350K thats about 8-9years for me...I service it every 10K and have a great gas rebate credit card. I drive this truck cause it is big, solid, well built and I enjoy the ride of it. A LC will also get you just about anyplace that something with four wheels can go if you have the patience and the knowledge to do so...that said about 90% of mine is on the interstate between my home and work which is a 112 mile trip daily roundtrip. I think most cars now days can go 200K easy with good maintence and the correct lubes. Just my thoughts. Drive sober.
350k miles!
Wow.
That is epic.

What kind of repairs have been needed in 350k miles?

Thinking of getting a Landcruiser.
I have my LC serviced at the dealer every 10K. Whatever it needs they take care of it. All by the Toyoya book. I have the truck detailed at the same time. They do whatever the book recommends and I have never had a break down or an issue. I have them come pick it up and drop me off a loaner and then they return it with an invoice and service book updated. I call them with a credit card and done. They use Mobil One oil and every 10K seems fine with them. I have always sold my old trucks to someone that wants it with no issues at all. Here is the truck, here are the records, give me the cash and best of luck. If you hit a million miles call me....no calls yet. I do have to say that all the mondern electronics have me a bit worried but so far I love em. Adaptive cruise is hard to hate as are the upgrades in lighting. I am sure I pay a little too much for service but I dont care...its easy, done right the first time and it works...wish I had more things in my life like that right now...LOL...
jucor

Post by jucor »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 am
wander wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 am Cellphone sometimes has reception problem in the mountain areas, so having a Garmin navigator is a plus for that situation.
I'm amazed that this myth is still spread. Most smartphones can easily be used to navigate independent of cell phone reception. Just download the map(s) you need via wifi before your set out, and switch your navigator to function with data off.

I use HERE We Go, but most navigators including Google will function just fine without cell phone reception so long as you don't need traffic data.
+1
And if you're in an area with little or no cell coverage it is highly unlikely you need live traffic data... 8-)
wander

Post by wander »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 am

Personally, I do not like Here We Go app. Once in a while, I got reminder to download update the US Maps but it took forever to complete download and it stopped downloading if I used other apps at the same time. I don't know if it gets any better. However, this has nothing to do with the offline maps. It's just that the GPS antenna of my car navigation is stationary on a location that has wider/better view of the sky than my celphone or just simply at a different location than cellphone so if the cell phone doesn't get GPS signal, the GPS will get it.
I want everything is built-in my 7 inch display car stereo. My cellphone is in the glove compartment (or in a cup holder that I don't bother to look at) while I drive and answering a phone or making a phone call can be done hand free. Both GPS are running so if one is not available, then one click on the display will get me to another GPS. I feel safer that way because my eyes should look at the roads (not a cellphone screen).
It looks like the Here We Go App is now availaible in Apple Car Play. That's a nice addition by the way.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

as long as you can. i found that there is no 'magic' number of years (ex: 8 years) or mileage (ex: 100,000 miles) number to use as a guide.

3 vehicles

10 years
11 years
13 years

all serviceable.

i have no plans to replace them
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

My 2002 Pathfinder is still going strong. I was thinking of replacing it in the spring with a new SUV, but with Covid we go out so little that I'm glad I held on to it. I'd like to keep it to 20, but it is starting to show its age and while the repairs have been few, anytime it needs to go to the shop we start discussing the max we are willing to pay for it to get fixed.

Our other 2 cars are 2009 and 2013, each with about 50K miles. I still consider the 2013 the "new car".
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Some of us yes. 2005 Subaru Outback purchased new not quite 38K miles (no that is not a misprint). I walked to work and bicycled to the grocery store weather permitting - now retired I plan to do a lot more camping in next few years so yearly average will increase. Still have 1979 VW Rabbit also purchased new (but basically stopped driving this in 2005 when Subaru purchased) Significant restoration including rebuilt engine and last year new paint job and windshield). Only plan to use it now and then as a nostalgia car. Had it out on rural roads recently and actually runs well. These are the only two cars ever owned.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

I drive a 1989 Toyota Camry. 31 years old. Great car. Air conditioning doesn't work. Just put a new battery in it. Called it the "dog car" as I hauled our dog Petey around in it until he passed. Wife drives a 2007 Toyota Sienna, its been a great minivan.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

2000 Yukon Denali - 191k miles - 20 years old - bought in 2014
2011 Lexus RX350 - 110k - 9 years old - bought in 2012
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - 80k - 9 years old - bought in 2015
2012 Toyota 4Runner - 85k - 8 years old - bought in 2015
2015 Ford F150 Platinum - 70k - 5 years old - bought in 2019

So the average is 107.2k miles and 10.2 years. I have no intention of buying any new cars for the forseeable future.
Last edited by beernutz on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:37 pm Are people here really keeping their cars for 20 - 25 years?

Some of us yes. 2005 Subaru Outback purchased new not quite 38K miles (no that is not a misprint). I walked to work and bicycled to the grocery store weather permitting - now retired I plan to do a lot more camping in next few years so yearly average will increase. Still have 1979 VW Rabbit also purchased new (but basically stopped driving this in 2005 when Subaru purchased) Significant restoration including rebuilt engine and last year new paint job and windshield). Only plan to use it now and then as a nostalgia car. Had it out on rural roads recently and actually runs well. These are the only two cars ever owned.
Impressive!!
That VW Rabbit is a classic!!!

j🌺
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We drove a 2001 Ford Focus that was three years old when we bought it (previously a rental), and we drove it for 11 years. It was one of the most reliable, trouble-free vehicles I've ever heard of, a real workhorse. Replacing the power steering rack at about 160k miles was the only significant repair it ever needed. Sadly, the newer Focuses suffer greatly from Ford's dual clutch transmission, which is absolute junk and will wind up costing the company billions.

We've been driving a Buick Encore that we bought new for two years now, love it, and plan to drive it for at least a decade. I think that it might be a great vehicle to give to our daughter when she's ready to start driving in about 11 years.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

michaelingp wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:35 pm
sean.mcgrath wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 am
I doubt the typical BH keeps a car 20 or 25 years. But where do you think they go after the 17 year BH average ownership (I have no reason to doubt Hockey10's analysis)? If they still run someone buys them. I had a friend that only bought what he called "disposable cars". These were really old cars that he bought for almost nothing, usually less than $500. If he got a few years out of each one he figured he was way ahead. Every once in a while he would get like 6 years out of one of them, and he was in heaven (and let everyone know how smart he was). Of course you have to have a pretty high tolerance for unexpected break-downs, but my 2004 Honda CR-V (getting close to being a disposable car) has never stranded me.
Heck, even if a $500 car only lasts one year, that's cheap driving. Many spend that much every month on an auto payment.

To be honest, I think that real breakdowns (i.e. the vehicle cannot be driven anywhere safely) are not nearly as common as many fear that they are. I don't see many vehicles stranded on the side of the road. And in 20+ years of driving, I've never once needed a tow to a shop, and they usually don't cost more than $100-$150.

People are willing to pay a lot to not be inconvenienced and to feel safe, even if they are very unlikely to inconvenienced or unsafe in a less costly alternative. And the status of American culture for a long time has been that the type of vehicle you drove was indicative of your social status. Thankfully in some ways at least, it seems that that is changing with the younger generations.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Rudedog wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:26 pm I drive a 1989 Toyota Camry. 31 years old. Great car. Air conditioning doesn't work. Just put a new battery in it. Called it the "dog car" as I hauled our dog Petey around in it until he passed. Wife drives a 2007 Toyota Sienna, its been a great minivan.
A car without air conditioning is not a "great car." My first several cars didn't include air conditioning, but I've moved on and wouldn't consider driving a car without it today.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

vshun wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 am I used to keep the cars too for very long time, 15 years or so for to allow pace of change but now I find the pace of electronics and safety conveniences compelling too change more often.
To people who replied that they change the cars at 250k miles , I am assuming you do not need Android auto/apple car play, so do you:

Also if you believe safety features are overrated and not for you you have not seen backup camera, rear crops traffic detection, blind spot monitoring, etc. You are working much harder without these and driving less safe, especially being out of busy Costco parking lot. My Outback 2010 has none of it even backup camera. When my son backed out at night of driveway and hit the car parked at night on the street it costed me in insurance premiums. Newer car with backup camera would give him visibility, and even newest cars also will beep and alert to obstacle behind. Or that some vehicle, pedestrian or cyclist approaching.
Drivetrain engineering improvements will also result in at least 25 percent better fuel economy than same model of several years ago.
Just say "ok, boomer" now ok?
Done?
Good, then here we go.

I do not see my vehicles as an entertainment appliance, navigation aide, nor communication appliance.
A vehicle's function to to move me, my guests and our stuff from point A to point B.

My 1980 450 SL still has the original Becker, no nav, no cell phone capability AT ALL.
I use it for cruising around nice areas during warm days and cool nights.
If someone calls they can just wait.

My 1999 truck just had a new head unit installed. Bluetooth, iPhone, blah, blah, blah. No nav.
I make long trips between houses and wanted to be able to stream from phone to head unit.

My 2007 MBZ has an MP3 micro ram storage card for playing MP3's, I have 3000 songs loaded. Phone integration is crap. Nav screen is crap. This is used as the cruise missle between properties.

My 2010 Lexus SUV has BT And USB/AUX built in. Nav is a PITA to a use.

As to using nav apps....plan ahead, it works, it's free!

Then, yes, if I am going to Yellowstone I am definitely getting hard copy maps from AAA and an old fashioned rand mcnallly book.

To find Joe's pizza on 3rd street? Um, have your navigator look at their phone.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

10 years or 100k miles at the minimum and reevaluate any time there are more than basic repairs/OEM recommended maintenance required to keep them on the road.

The following are all going strong (only the Honda has >100k so far):
2010 Honda
2007 Acura
2002 Toyota Camry
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I would think that part of the answer here is how much "DIY-ness" the owner has. It's not a big deal to keep a car going for a very, very long time with lots of miles if there are no labor costs and if the owner isn't averse to going to the local pick-a-part junkyard to get something to extend the life of the car. For someone facing $3000 for an engine replacement in a 20 year old car, it's almost always going to mean the car is getting junked and replaced. For a DIY person, it means spending $300 on a used engine and a weekend swapping it. In my case, I'd continue by pulling usable parts off the old engine, then disassembling what's left into each material and making a trip to the scrap yard to recoup some cash for scrap value. I would, of course add materials in my scrap piles to make it worth the trip.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 am I would think that part of the answer here is how much "DIY-ness" the owner has. It's not a big deal to keep a car going for a very, very long time with lots of miles if there are no labor costs and if the owner isn't averse to going to the local pick-a-part junkyard to get something to extend the life of the car. For someone facing $3000 for an engine replacement in a 20 year old car, it's almost always going to mean the car is getting junked and replaced. For a DIY person, it means spending $300 on a used engine and a weekend swapping it. In my case, I'd continue by pulling usable parts off the old engine, then disassembling what's left into each material and making a trip to the scrap yard to recoup some cash for scrap value. I would, of course add materials in my scrap piles to make it worth the trip.
It's very true that many repairs are only cost-efficient if you d-i-y. Certainly trivial repairs like changing a filter can pay off, but things like engine replacement, etc. you really have to look at as a hobby first and if there are any cost savings after considering direct and indirect costs, that would be a bonus, but not something you should count on.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I just sold my mom’s 2000 Buick Century to a college freshman. Multiple small problems for a 20 yr old car.

I usually keep a car12-14 years.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

10-15 years/100K-170K-ish miles. Donate them to charity or sell them privately.
Friar1610
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

My threshold is 10 years or 150k miles.

My last car? Was a Lexus RX350 - kept for 10 years and 256k miles. Timing chain, and a real workhorse.