Bluetooth Ear buds vs Bluetooth single ear cell phone headset

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
samtex

Bluetooth Ear buds vs Bluetooth single ear cell phone headset

Post by samtex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:21 pm

I've been looking to replace an ancient Motorola "single ear headset". My current one works well in the car or home but it has very poor noise cancelling ability. The slightest wind outside creates too much noise for the other party to understand me.

I was considering a Plantronics Voyager 5200 or Plantronics Voyager Legend depending on their ability to cancel noise. Someone recommended a set of ear buds, his were Samsung and uses them with his phone. I haven't found much about their ability to cancel surrounding noises, wind mainly. He said his controls were compatible with his phone.

Besides the added cost and not looking like a dork, do they offer anything else besides stereo if using the for listening to music? (I don't typically do)
Any other brand recommendations?

Thanks,

Samtex

TravelGeek

Re: Bluetooth Ear buds vs Bluetooth single ear cell phone headset

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:56 pm

What kind of phone do you have? For iPhone users the AirPods seem to be mandatory equipment ;)

Do you listen to music or podcasts? Something that’s comfortable, sounds good, and has reasonably long battery life might be worth getting.

I have used some fairly cheap bluetooth ear buds from a company named SoundPeats (via Amazon), mostly for walking and gym listening but I also use them occasionally for voice calls. Can’t really beat $25 or so with a 12 month warranty. When one earbud started to malfunction, after 11 months, they sent me a new set without any arguing; I didn’t even have to send it the defective one.

More recently I splurged on a pair of Jabra Elite 75t BT earbuds. I haven’t had any complaints about noise when making calls, but it’s only been a few so far.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:04 pm

+1 for Apple's AirPods. I use the AirPods Pro (think I saw them on sale for $200) all day. For earbuds, they are by far the best noise cancellation I have seen. If you need 100% noise cancellation however, you will need something over the ear.

The battery life on mine lasts a little over 4 hours, but if they get low I just use one while the other charges.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Plantronics Explorer 55 or 50.
Great sound isolation.
Fits in the ear and has a loop to stay on.
Good for phone use, not music.
Goes through at least 3 wash/dry cycles and still survives.
Have been using these ever since they lst came out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:21 pm

I should hsve included my phone is a Samsung-android

Samtex

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:28 pm

I was wondering of the earbuds might fo well in the wind since they appear to be more protected but I guess they don't have the noise cancellation technology .

Samtex

Mr.Chlorine wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:04 pm
+1 for Apple's AirPods. I use the AirPods Pro (think I saw them on sale for $200) all day. For earbuds, they are by far the best noise cancellation I have seen. If you need 100% noise cancellation however, you will need something over the ear.

The battery life on mine lasts a little over 4 hours, but if they get low I just use one while the other charges.

scottjspencer

Post by scottjspencer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 am

I use these for all of my work calls and Zoom meetings now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SJ ... ads.org-20

They work well. I haven't tried them with much wind noise, and I haven't personally tested the waterproofing. But the sound quality in general seems decent, and the battery life is good.

One other thing I like about them is that I don't always want both ears blocked (like when I'm driving), and these don't have to be used as a pair. You can use one, and leave the other charging in the case, and it works fine.

One thing I dislike about them is that they can't be paired with multiple devices. I'd love to be able to connect them to both my laptop and phone, but it's one or the other. You can re-pair easily, but it's not as convenient.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:02 am

I have used a lot of bluetooth buds over the years,
This is my "go-to" now,
Extremely Pleased.
Check out "Blackweb bluetooth earbuds "Walmart

"True Wireless Earbuds, TWS 5.0 Bluetooth in-Ear Earbuds Sweatproof Sports, True Wireless Headphones with Enhanced Drivers, 3D Stereo Sound, Built-in Mic, Bluetooth Earphones Headset"

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

thewizzer

Post by thewizzer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:13 am

My only caution would be that in some states, using headphones while driving is illegal. I don’t know where you live, but you mentioned possibly using them while driving.