Buying a new car using Costco

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newstreetnj

Buying a new car using Costco

Post by newstreetnj » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:40 am

Hello Friends,

We're in the market for a Honda or Subaru and I'm wondering if Costco is the way to go. Have any of you used Costco to buy a new car? Were you happy with the results?
Thanks for your help.

Bob

BB76

Re: Buying a new car using Costco

Post by BB76 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 am

While not personal experience, our very good friends bought a new Honda Odyssey through Costco and had a very enjoyable experience. My understanding is that Costco acted more or less as a broker and our friends ended up purchasing the van from a dealer at a prearranged price. In addition, the husband of the couple suffers from analysis paralysis at times and has trouble pulling the trigger. The service allowed him to efficiently make a decision and complete the purchase at an acceptable price, thus making his wife happy.
:sharebeer
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” ― E.F. Schumacher

GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:52 am

I've used Costco for a new car. The process is simple and straight forward. We were able to get a very specific paint color, interior color, and trim package combination. None were available anywhere within hundreds of miles of Denver, but the dealer that Costco used was able to locate one that was supposed to be built in 3 weeks and he secured that one for us. Perfect match. Going this route won't get you the absolute best price, but you'll only be off from the absolute best price by a few hundred bucks. Still a grand or more lower than the normal price. And you don't have to haggle or play games all afternoon or a week or more.

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:04 am

I used Costco to purchase my Toyota. I feel the price that I got for the car was reasonable (at the time I also received a $2,000 rebate from the factory). What I was not happy with was the fact that the dealer in my area tacked on another $500 of "dealer preparation" fees.

I have since decided that the best strategy is to get the Costco quote from the dealer they assign to you and start shopping that number with other dealers within 100-200 mile radius just by sitting behind the computer and getting quotes by e-mail. There is a thread on this very subject. So if you are really interested to save money on your purchase, just use the Costco quote as a baseline and start from there.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:07 am

Used the program, it gives you a start at a good negotiating deal. Happy with the service.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:12 am

xerxes101 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:04 am
I have since decided that the best strategy is to get the Costco quote from the dealer they assign to you and start shopping that number with other dealers within 100-200 mile radius just by sitting behind the computer and getting quotes by e-mail. There is a thread on this very subject. So if you are really interested to save money on your purchase, just use the Costco quote as a baseline and start from there.
I think this is probably the best strategy. Costco should get you a decent price, but it won't be a rock-bottom price, not least because dealers have to pay the Costco program for the referral, so another dealer should easily be able to beat the Costco price.

chesley

Post by chesley » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:18 am

We purchased our Forester last year via the Costco program. It was a satisfactory experience. I was more than willing to do a round or more of email offers from dealers within 100 miles but that works best with current inventory. DW did not want the electric rear gate, but I wanted blind spot monitoring, keyless entry, and the Homelink rear view mirror that has the garage door opener. The local dealer got us a Premium with an unadvertised package that included what we wanted. The price was pretty good. (Still had to sit through the upsell for the add-on services. :annoyed )

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:21 am

I have never used the Costco car buying program but when you are buying a car what works best will vary depending on the current market, the supply of the car your are interested in, the time of year, and where you are located.

Here is a post I did a couple of years ago about how I bought a car over the internet. You might get a quote through the Costco program then do something like what I did to get bids from other dealers.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239526&p=3746230

illumination

Post by illumination » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:04 pm

My FIL tried it, he basically brought the Costco offer to a dealership and they promised to beat what he had, and they did. It wasn't by a huge amount, but it was enough to make it worth his while. I'm sure he could have done slightly better buy he felt the price was fair.

Costco is probably a decent way to go for people who don't want to get completely taken by a dealership and pay a fair (but not truly rock bottom) price. There's sad cases of people really getting screwed, it's still the wild west when you buy a new car. I hate the dance, a family member owns a dealership, he said if they don't chase you in the parking lot, you could have gotten the car cheaper. Be prepared to just get into a nasty, confrontational exchange on why you're not going to pay $300 for "lifetime nitrogen" on your tires, etc.

After doing this a few times, I have a the family member I mentioned wholesale it that I just pay a flat fee to him and he can get me a new car for a really good price and have it shipped to me. Even if I pay slightly more to get it this way, it's worth the luxury.

A440

Post by A440 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 pm

I used Costco for a price that I could print out and show to competing dealerships. In the end, it helped me get a better price on the exact car I wanted at a different dealership.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 pm

If you decide to buy from the dealer Costco sends you to, you can still negotiate further on the price. I did that once and got a small reduction (about $150 IIRC).

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:56 pm

I bought a new Honda Civic last year. I tried Costco and an on line car shopping site. I also negotiated my own price with dealers to compare the 3. Costco did not have the best price. At one dealer, the salesman told be that he could beat the Costco price. Costco was a waste of time for me.

I have been successful using online forums where people list their purchase price. I use that to determine what I am willing to pay.

Some may believe that Costco saves time, but not in my case. Costco takes time and limits the dealers they work with. For example, the dealer in town does not participate with Costco. I had to drive 45 minutes to the dealer that works with Costco.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:09 pm

mhc wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:56 pm
Some may believe that Costco saves time, but not in my case. Costco takes time and limits the dealers they work with. For example, the dealer in town does not participate with Costco. I had to drive 45 minutes to the dealer that works with Costco.
Part of where they send you may depend on where you tell them that you live. Dealers may not want to cannibalize sales from people that live nearby that they have a good chance of making anyway. If you have told them that you lived near the the dealer that was 45 minutes away then they may very well have sent you to your local dealer.

papiper

Post by papiper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm

I used Costco three times - a Mazda 3, an Acura RDX and a Chevy Colorado. Didn't try to negotiate anything better - but that was the point. I picked exactly the model and color - walked in and walked out without any hassle other than turning down the extended warranty coating junk offers. I didn't have any trade-ins to deal with so it was always simple, easy and fast. With a lot of haggling probably could have saved a few hundred. The lack of aggravation was worth it at least for me. For one of them Costco threw in a $750 rebate card to use at Costco for a special at that time.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:51 pm

It was a long time ago, but I'd tried the costco buyer's program, the AAA buyer's program, and getting off-the-shelf internet department price quotes. The internet quotes were substantially cheaper. I think the costco program is fine if you'd otherwise walk into a dealership and not negotiate at all. But if you spend an hour getting quotes emailed to you, I think you'd do a lot better. See denovo's excellent advice: viewtopic.php?t=124638

VinoVita

Post by VinoVita » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:01 pm

We used the Costco auto program in September of 2018. DW wanted a Honda HRV and we leased one over the Labor Day Weekend. The designated dealership greeted us with a better “Labor Day Special” than the apparent Costco pricing...so we thought. Upon the Costco follow up, they were not happy! Costco requested numbers from us and found the dealership owed us $450!!
Upon turn-in that $450 will be returned to us.
You may not get the best deal...but Costco has got your back, Jack!!

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:28 pm

I bought my Toyota Avalon in 2017 through Costco. My dealer was the Toyota dealership closest to my house. Very easy and straightforward experience.

I didn’t want to haggle or take a lot of time, so I took the Costco price. If I did it again today, I would shop the Costco price to other dealers to save a few hundred dollars.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Yes. I've purchased two expensive diesel trucks through Costco. One of them I ordered to my specs from the factory.
Caveat: When you get the dealer and the contact at the dealer - make absolutely sure that you reach the salesperson who IS the Costco contact at that dealer.
I found that if you walk into a dealership and ask for the Costco salesperson - you won't get to them. The first contact salesperson that you meet is the one that you belong to - you cannot switch to another salesperson. Just beware. I had that experience at a dealer (now out of business) and this is just a word to the wise (you).

sport

Post by sport » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 pm

bighatnohorse wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 pm
Yes. I've purchased two expensive diesel trucks through Costco. One of them I ordered to my specs from the factory.
Caveat: When you get the dealer and the contact at the dealer - make absolutely sure that you reach the salesperson who IS the Costco contact at that dealer.
I found that if you walk into a dealership and ask for the Costco salesperson - you won't get to them. The first contact salesperson that you meet is the one that you belong to - you cannot switch to another salesperson. Just beware. I had that experience at a dealer (now out of business) and this is just a word to the wise (you).
So, what is the problem with a non-Costco salesperson? Isn't the dealer obligated to honor the Costco arrangement?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 pm

I did a test run with the Costco program when we purchased a new Mazda a couple of years ago. In that case the dealer I was referred to didn't really have a Costco program price, it just seemed to be a way to get you in the door. I ended up shopping numerous dealers via e-mail and did not end up buying from the dealer that Costco referred me to.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am

xerxes101 wrote:
I used Costco to purchase my Toyota. I feel the price that I got for the car was reasonable (at the time I also received a $2,000 rebate from the factory). What I was not happy with was the fact that the dealer in my area tacked on another $500 of "dealer preparation" fees.

Deal prep fees and other add ons after negotiating a price are common dealer tactics. Always negotiate "out the door" (OTD) price to avoid this. Dealer prep is almost all profit to dealer.

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:00 am

We used Costco as a resource a few years ago. And, learned that not all Costco dealerships offer the same deal! One was $600 below invoice. Another was $1200 below invoice. We bought from the local dealership that offered the $600 deal, but only after they matched a non-Costco dealership from 300-miles away.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:00 am

sport wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 pm
bighatnohorse wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 pm
So, what is the problem with a non-Costco salesperson? Isn't the dealer obligated to honor the Costco arrangement?
Apparently not - if you use the Costco purchase program Costco will send you a referral name (person) at a dealership - you have to contact and use that person.
If you don't, then good luck to you.

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am
xerxes101 wrote:

Deal prep fees and other add ons after negotiating a price are common dealer tactics. Always negotiate "out the door" (OTD) price to avoid this. Dealer prep is almost all profit to dealer.
Yes, I agree. that's why my strategy has evolved over the years and I now negotiate out the door price only by e-mail from the convenience of my home computer. I recommend OP read the threads mentioned on the topic...these guys have gotten it down to a science :beer

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am

xerxes101 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 am
carolinaman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am
xerxes101 wrote:

Yes, I agree. that's why my strategy has evolved over the years and I now negotiate out the door price only by e-mail from the convenience of my home computer. I recommend OP read the threads mentioned on the topic...these guys have gotten it down to a science :beer
There's always more to learn about car shopping, I find. My only experience with Costco system wasn't good though. The (Toyota) dealer seemed to really have a problem with me trying to negotiate that price further. I know they usually pretend that at first, but in this case the manager seemed actually agitated after I kept insisting to front line sales guy they had to improve further. He finally agreed to cut a little but then gave an obvious low ball on the trade in. I said goodbye, and ended up buying a Hyundai I think I did OK on just walking in and negotiating old style.

But that was some years ago. Doing more negotiating online now is pretty standard, but I haven't bothered to go back thru Costco on subsequent purchases. I've used TrueCar quotes as starting point in some cases.

hitchman

Post by hitchman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 am

I bought a Subaru Outback Touring XT over the Labor Day weekend, and the dealer I bought it from beat the Costco price by over $2,500. The Costco price was about $3,000 lower than the MSRP. In fact, the local dealer (I did not buy from them) started his negotiations with the Costco price. I didn't even know that price was available.

FWIW, if you're looking for a Subaru, and you're in the Midwest, look in the Chicago-land area. For some reason, the Chicago dealers get better factory pricing. I used Grand Subaru in Bensenville, and I know of others getting similar pricing at other nearby dealers. My local dealer (in Iowa, there are only three in the whole state), was about $2,500 more than Grand, and said he didn't understand how Grand could offer that price. Grand also only charged me cost for accessories. I drove to pick it up, but they would have delivered it for $500. So that's about %5,500 below MSRP (roughly 15% lower than MSRP, after everything).

My final comment is to find an online forum for whichever model you decide to buy. There will likely be a pricing/MSRP thread, as well as threads on dealers, options, known issues, etc.

Hitchman

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am

BTW, getting a good price via internet quotes isn't very much work nor time. Just be sure you don't fall for the extra fees or extended warranties, which are profit centers for new cars. If you've got an hour, This American Life did a fascinating behind-the-scenes episode at a car dealership:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars

I highly recommend it, especially if you're about to buy a car. Then go read denovo's post about getting multiple internet quotes.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

random_walker_77 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:51 pm
It was a long time ago, but I'd tried the costco buyer's program, the AAA buyer's program, and getting off-the-shelf internet department price quotes. The internet quotes were substantially cheaper. I think the costco program is fine if you'd otherwise walk into a dealership and not negotiate at all. But if you spend an hour getting quotes emailed to you, I think you'd do a lot better. See denovo's excellent advice: viewtopic.php?t=124638
I agree...if you have the time and it fits your style, use denovo's plan; get out the door prices and shop around. Never negotiate at a dealership.

I don't have a problem with someone who uses Costco's or another car buying service. I don't have a problem with someone who walks into a dealer and just buys the car with no negotiating; I've done exactly that a number of times.
Costco and other car buying services aren't doing that for free; they get a cut. I would imagine that the dealer is also happy with the deal.

When I've used the denovo negotiation method, the dealer is also happy; they get to name their price. I'm happy because I believe that I got the best price available in my market on that day.

Bottom line: Do it your way

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:00 pm

Watch the Kevin Hunter on Costco from Kevin Hunter. Outstanding on explaining Costco.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:02 pm

Kevin Hunter YouTube Channel is excellent. Former car salesman tells all.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

wackerdr

Post by wackerdr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:06 pm

Costco has pre-negotiated price, but similar services are now available from TrueCar, Edmunds etc. You can compare offers and Costco may be particularly attractive if they add a Cash Card or an additional incentive.

But if you are intent on saving few more, you should use Costco as benchmark that you can definitely beat. If you are willing to do a bit of hard negotiation, there are always 2-300 or even more to save. If you value convenience and generally hate negotiating with car dealers, Costco fits the bill.

I bought Sienna a while back using TrueCar, which was better than Costco price at that time. Also, when I took Costco price to a dealer, the sales person was like , I can get you better deal and discouraging use of costco. Incentives at dealership work in weird ways, and I am not fully aware.

lws

Post by lws » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:51 pm

Bought an RX350 through them. Happy.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm

wackerdr wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:06 pm
Costco has pre-negotiated price, but similar services are now available from TrueCar, Edmunds etc.
What are the relative merits of Costco, TrueCar, and Edmunds? Both of my credit unions use TrueCar and apparently offer a slightly better loan rate if you use TrueCar.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:27 pm

hitchman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 am
FWIW, if you're looking for a Subaru, and you're in the Midwest, look in the Chicago-land area. For some reason, the Chicago dealers get better factory pricing. I used Grand Subaru in Bensenville, and I know of others getting similar pricing at other nearby dealers.
Second this. I bought my Outback from Gerald Subaru of Naperville after getting prices from multiple dealers and ultimately pitting Grand Subaru and Gerald against one another. Additional benefit of Gerald is the "limited lifetime warranty" on all their cars (likely of nominal value) and the fact that my car came with a free few dealer add-ons that I didn't realize until I arrived to pick up the car; as always, YMMV.

KT785

wackerdr

Post by wackerdr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:41 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm
wackerdr wrote:
Costco has pre-negotiated price, but similar services are now available from TrueCar, Edmunds etc.
What are the relative merits of Costco, TrueCar, and Edmunds? Both of my credit unions use TrueCar and apparently offer a slightly better loan rate if you use TrueCar.
Edmunds and Truecar are referral sites with no additional incentive, other than confirmed price. Costco may add some incentives at their end.
Which one will get you best price is impossible to tell. No harm in trying all 3. You will be inundated with calls and emails from dealers.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm

wackerdr wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:41 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
wackerdr wrote:
Edmunds and Truecar are referral sites with no additional incentive, other than confirmed price. Costco may add some incentives at their end.
Which one will get you best price is impossible to tell. No harm in trying all 3. You will be inundated with calls and emails from dealers.
To avoid all the calls and emails I got a burner phone number (google it for info), used an alias and established a gmail address to go along with it. I specified that I would be doing all negotiations via email (which I did) but the dealerships are trained to always get a phone number. I ignored the phone calls. Once I struck a deal I cancelled the burner number and deleted the gmail address. I was in complete control of the communications and was able to cut them off immediately. The only dealer who knew my real identity or contact info. was the one who I chose to buy the car from.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:33 pm

wackerdr wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:41 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
wackerdr wrote:
Wait! Are you saying that TrueCar gives out your info to a bunch of dealers? I thought they were supposed to be a buying service that isolated you from the dealers.

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:12 pm

I bought a Volvo SUV 2 years ago from a dealer 35 miles from home. The price was a significant saving on the dealer's offer 5 miles from home. I had to pull out my written offer from Car Max to get the fmv on my trade-in. Everything else was smooth and easy.

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 pm

I bought a Volvo SUV 2 years ago from a dealer 35 miles from home. The price was a significant saving on the dealer's offer 5 miles from home. I had to pull out my written offer from Car Max to get the fmv on my trade-in. Everything else was smooth and easy.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 pm

CarBargains is run by a nonprofit, and claims to save over $1k on the TrueCar price on average. You do have to pay $250 up front. Reading their description it looks like they basically do that email bidding war denovo has described for you.

https://www.checkbook.org/auto/

SxSW

Post by SxSW » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:05 pm

Costco is about the same as going through the fleet department. Some dealers won't honor a Costco referral, or will claim it doesn't apply to the model you want.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 am

My wife bought a car using Costco in 2013. I don't think it was necessarily the rock bottom price she could have gotten but it sure was easy.

I bought a car the next year and got a better price than the Costco price by getting quotes from out-of-state dealers (including the largest dealer in the country) and found a local dealer who would match my best price. It took more effort.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

CycloRista

Post by CycloRista » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:40 am

I priced a Honda through Costco and an employer offered new car purchase benefit and neither came anywhere close to negotiating on my own.

Only had to walk out of the showroom three times to get the deal where I wanted it :mrgreen: