Rechargeable batteries AA AAA etc.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
samtex

Rechargeable batteries AA AAA etc.

Post by samtex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am

Iv'e purchased a few rechargeable batteries from Amazon and had good luck but it's been a few years ago. I was going to buy more but after reading the reviews I decided to wait and do more research. The reviews for the Amazon branded batteries (what I purchased in the past) are not stellar, at least not the newer reviews but when you add in the old reviews the number of stars look impressive.The newer Panasonic Eneloop reviews also appear disappointing. The Eneloop appear to be the golden standard as well.

With Amazon one month return policy, I'm afraid the batteries might fail just past that time. I was wondering what others might recommend that have bought rechargeable lately? :confused

Samtex

avidracer

Re: Rechargeable batteries AA AAA etc.

Post by avidracer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 am

I have had good luck with eneloop brand :beer its Ni-Mh, not the Ni-Cd type. It retains charge for longer duration when unused compared and are more expensive than the regular rechargeable ones.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 am

+1 on Eneloop. Apparently Amazon switched suppliers for their AmazonBasics rechargeables.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 am

Another for Eneloop.

I would buy somewhere other than Amazon though as chance of counterfeits is too high there.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:43 am

samtex wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am
Iv'e purchased a few rechargeable batteries from Amazon and had good luck but it's been a few years ago. I was going to buy more but after reading the reviews I decided to wait and do more research. The reviews for the Amazon branded batteries (what I purchased in the past) are not stellar, at least not the newer reviews but when you add in the old reviews the number of stars look impressive.The newer Panasonic Eneloop reviews also appear disappointing. The Eneloop appear to be the golden standard as well.

With Amazon one month return policy, I'm afraid the batteries might fail just past that time. I was wondering what others might recommend that have bought rechargeable lately? :confused

Samtex
So... now Eneloop reviews are as disappointing as other batteries (Amazon, etc. yet also they are the "gold standard"? So I think you're saying all rechargeable reviews are now poor, in which case I would just buy whatever is cheapest.

I used to use these (various Eneloop, Amazon, etc.) heavily but don't use them as much any longer so can't comment on the latest batteries. There was a time when Eneloops indeed seemed superior, so you might find them riding a bit on that Toyota/Honda reputation thing that we see here on Bogleheads.

MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:59 am

BigClive, a youtube content creator that does videos on electronic topics, recently did a review and teardown of JUGEE rechargeable lithium batteries. The batteries seemed to be of very high quality. The review is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakm4ra8Xv0. You would need likely need a charger matched to the batteries.

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am

Ikea. Fairly inexpensive and high capacity. I think they are the same as eneloop (or another major brand) just branded Ikea and cheaper. Had really good luck with them.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:08 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 am
Another for Eneloop.

I would buy somewhere other than Amazon though as chance of counterfeits is too high there.
+1

I recently bought SD cards for my camera somewhere else because there were so many counterfeit SD cards on Amazon

Costco sometimes has them.

telemark

Post by telemark » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:08 am

onourway wrote:
Another for Eneloop.

Which might conceivably account for the bad reviews. I read through the critical reviews on Amazon and failed to notice any obvious pattern, other than that they were mostly (but not all) critical. Nimh batteries only go to 1.2 volts, and that seems to account for a number of complaints.

If you are using them in something like a flash unit with a high power drain, the Eneloop Pro batteries *might* be a better choice. They hold more energy at the cost of fewer recharge cycles. Even there I'm not sure: it might be more cost effective just to buy a second set of the regular ones and keep them ready to swap in.

I bought 8 Eneloop AAAs from B&H Photo about a year ago and have had no problems with them.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 am

DW and I use Eneloop (spel?) for everything, including portable flash units for commercial photography. They do need to be topped off before use the older they get. And, they don't lose a charge slowly, they are at peak use then they're dead. Different than store bought non rechargeable that die slowly. Not sure why?

We have dozens of these things. Also, use the OEM chargers for them.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:21 pm

I always sort the reviews by current reviews first. With the default sorting, you might be reading reviews from years ago first.

Samtex
telemark wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:08 am
onourway wrote:
Another for Eneloop.

Which might conceivably account for the bad reviews. I read through the critical reviews on Amazon and failed to notice any obvious pattern, other than that they were mostly (but not all) critical. Nimh batteries only go to 1.2 volts, and that seems to account for a number of complaints.

If you are using them in something like a flash unit with a high power drain, the Eneloop Pro batteries *might* be a better choice. They hold more energy at the cost of fewer recharge cycles. Even there I'm not sure: it might be more cost effective just to buy a second set of the regular ones and keep them ready to swap in.

I bought 8 Eneloop AAAs from B&H Photo about a year ago and have had no problems with them.

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:24 pm

I think tha'ts normal, My 20 volt lithium battery drill will work find up until it just stops. Fortunately it has a power gauge leds that shows it current charge.

Samtex
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 am
DW and I use Eneloop (spel?) for everything, including portable flash units for commercial photography. They do need to be topped off before use the older they get. And, they don't lose a charge slowly, they are at peak use then they're dead. Different than store bought non rechargeable that die slowly. Not sure why?

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:26 pm

OP, what are you using the batteries for? The best choice can depend on the application.
Semper Augustus

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:29 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
. And, they don't lose a charge slowly, they are at peak use then they're dead. Different than store bought non rechargeable that die slowly. Not sure why?
Alkaline batteries and NIMH rechargeable have different chemistries. They behave very differently, and a NiMH is much more stable over its charge cycle. Here's a random illustration from the interwebs:

rk6

Post by rk6 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Eneloop and the Duracell gold/green rechargeables I have had the best luck with.
The Amazon green ones have been OK but not as good as the above two, for me.
I also use the PowerEx chargers whenever I can to do conditioning etc.

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Teague wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:26 pm
OP, what are you using the batteries for? The best choice can depend on the application.
Mainly some inside automatic night lights (4 AA's) around the house and in cabinets. Tooth brushes.

Samtex

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 am

I use the Duracell AA rechargeable in a radio (a C.Crane radio) and they work fine. I also put some in a remote and they seem to work well. I got them from Amazon. A 4-pack of them is $12.66 . The reviews are fine(over 3500 of them, 4.5 starts on avg).

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 am

samtex wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm
Teague wrote:
Mainly some inside automatic night lights (4 AA's) around the house and in cabinets. Tooth brushes.

Samtex
Ok, pretty standard stuff and no need for specialized high-current cells like Eneloop Pro. In fact, I'm not even sure you need regular Eneloop-type technology since these will be used regularly - not sitting a long time between uses. So for the same money as Eneloop you could instead get higher capacity standard NiMH cells.

I've had good luck with Powerex, Eneloop, Eneloop Pro (for photo flashes), and also the Amazon Basics brand. Keep in mind that some of the folks who review these things are a little obsessive; I think sometimes they sit in their basement cycling their batteries and measuring micro amp-hour differences. Adding to the confusion, as you've found out, the same brand can change factories/manufacturing processes, making it all but impossible to know just what you will be getting.

The good news is that they're almost all better than they were some years ago, and they were pretty good then, at least compared to alkalines. Whatever brand you decide on, spend a few bucks on a quality charger, not a cheap one that finishes in ten minutes while roasting the life out of your new batteries.
Semper Augustus

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:16 am

Ditto
Eneloop
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Everready Lithium rechargeable AAA from Amazon work great, last a long time.

Ralph

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:15 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Ralph
You sure about that? The only rechargeable Li-Ion AA I've seen are very expensive because they need integrated circuitry in the battery.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:08 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:15 pm
ralph124cf wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Ralph
You sure about that? The only rechargeable Li-Ion AA I've seen are very expensive because they need integrated circuitry in the battery.
I suspect that's a typo. I don't see an Eveready-branded rechargeable on Amazon in a brief search. Eveready is the same company, but they mainly market the batteries under the Energizer name.

I suspect ralph124cf means either the Energizer NiMH rechargeables, which have performed well in tests, and spec-wise are between the regular Eneloop and the Eneloop Pro, or else the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. The latter are non-rechargeable, but with slightly higher capacity than alkalines, much more stable voltage, far, far lower risk of leaking, and a really long shelf life. Both these are compatible voltage-wise with most AA or AAA powered devices.

Lithium ion batteries have over twice the voltage of alkalines and should not be used in place of them unless the device specifically advertised compatibility. They also need to be used with an appropriate charger. The AA-sized version is usually called a 14500 lithium ion cell, and the AAA-sized version is called a 10440. I'd call the price fine considering their performance, but standard lithium ion cells are generally not considered a consumer product unless it is integrated into a device that typically includes an integrated means of charging to ensure this gets done safely.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:25 am

samtex wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:24 pm
I think tha'ts normal, My 20 volt lithium battery drill will work find up until it just stops. Fortunately it has a power gauge leds that shows it current charge.

Samtex
Sandtrap wrote:

It's normal, but for different reasons. In case anyone is interested in the technical details:

Both lithium-ion batteries like your drill and NiMH batteries like Eneloop's experience less voltage sag under load and more stable voltage and current output over a discharge cycle than alkalines. The result is most devices designed for alkalines can run with NiMH rechargeables until the battery is nearly completely empty, especially if the devices has a voltage boost circuit like camera flashes do. When they're nearly depleted, the voltage drops suddenly, and there tends to be minimal warning before the device stops.

Lithium ion batteries also have a fairly steep voltage drop when nearly depleted, although not as dramatic as NiMH. More importantly, if they discharge too low, permanent chemical changes occur inside the battery that in the worst case can cause a fire later on. To prevent that, lithium ion battery packs almost always have a built-in management circuit. If you did a careful controlled test, you'd actually find the drill power declines slightly as the battery charge is depleted, but it will get to a point safely above the level where the effects of overdischarge occur, and then the battery management system will shut off the pack until it is recharged.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 am

I buy Eneloop with Amazon as the direct seller. Too bad Costco no longer sells them in the store.

I used to have a mish-mash of battery brands. I switched them all to Eneloop because the kids kept putting any kind of battery into the charger. Now if the battery is white it's rechargable. If not toss it.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:49 pm

samtex wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:21 pm
I always sort the reviews by current reviews first. With the default sorting, you might be reading reviews from years ago first.
I did this and see a handful of negative reviews in the first few pages, but mostly good. My advice is to still go with Eneloops. They've got the best overall reputation, and I think Fujitsu (parent company) knows their future depends on that reputation. I'm pretty confident those reviews are exceptions, not the norm, but people who have a bad experience are more likely to write a review than those who get the expected results.

Make sure you do not buy from a 3rd party Amazon seller. Battery counterfeits seem to be a problem with 3rd party sellers on Amazon. Near the button to add to your cart, you should see "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

Or, help maintain competition and buy from a retailer that doesn't host 3rd party sellers like Adorama or B&H Photo Video, both of which also have good pricing.

When they arrive, you might check if they're labeled "Made in Japan". Fujitsu has a China battery factory, as well, which is used mostly for outside the North American and European markets. Independent testers found that while the Made in China batteries still far out-perform alkaline batteries, they tend to "only" last a little under half as many charge cycles as the Made in Japan batteries, which is still a lot.

For other options, the Energizer rechargeables have also tested well and are easier to find in brick and mortar stores. I'm not familiar with Duracell's version, but they're probably also fine. Ikea and AmazonBasics are both thought by many to be re-branded Eneloops, but possibly from lower quality bins, as some tests have shown slightly lower cycle life. Both seem to only be available in the high capacity version, which holds 25% more energy per charge, but are rated for fewer cycles. They should still offer years of use in most applications.

One last note: the charge cycle rating is per a test that while an international standard, is relatively gentle, discharging about 60% at moderate pace. Independent testers have found that if batteries are cycled between fully discharged (about 0.9V) and fully charged, the cycle life tends to be about 20-50% of the IEC standard test, depending on the charge and discharge rate. For an Eneloop, the low end of this reduced life expectancy means that if you recharge every week, you would likely still see around 8 years of use.

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:10 pm

Well, I should have waited for more answers but I went ahead and bought some Enelope Pro's. One package came with a their charger. Is it a good one or should I purchased another brand?

In the past I bought a "Ecogear FX" Lithium-Ion charger from Amazon for use with Lithium Ion 18650 batteries and Amazon Basics NI-MH AA batteries.
I presume I should be using a NI-MH charger for those (NI-MH AA) instead?

Samtex

Teague wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 am
samtex wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm
Teague wrote:

Samtex
Ok, pretty standard stuff and no need for specialized high-current cells like Eneloop Pro. In fact, I'm not even sure you need regular Eneloop-type technology since these will be used regularly - not sitting a long time between uses. So for the same money as Eneloop you could instead get higher capacity standard NiMH cells.

I've had good luck with Powerex, Eneloop, Eneloop Pro (for photo flashes), and also the Amazon Basics brand. Keep in mind that some of the folks who review these things are a little obsessive; I think sometimes they sit in their basement cycling their batteries and measuring micro amp-hour differences. Adding to the confusion, as you've found out, the same brand can change factories/manufacturing processes, making it all but impossible to know just what you will be getting.

The good news is that they're almost all better than they were some years ago, and they were pretty good then, at least compared to alkalines. Whatever brand you decide on, spend a few bucks on a quality charger, not a cheap one that finishes in ten minutes while roasting the life out of your new batteries.

whomever

Post by whomever » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:17 pm

"I buy Eneloop with Amazon as the direct seller."

+1 on eneloops.

With apologies for thread drift, I have heard people say that Amazon doesn't segregate inventory between 'Sold by Amazon' and 'Fulfilled by Amazon', i.e. Amazon could order a bunch of eneloop 4 packs, SKU #123456, direct from Sanyo and put them in a bin. If a 3d party seller sends them counterfeit eneloops that are supposedly the same SKU, they will mix them together in one bin. The advice is that it's better to use someone who doesn't do that (I've heard Walmart mentioned...) for things where counterfeiting is common. I'd be curious to know if this is accurate.

Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 pm

I avoid Amazon and the more I read stuff like the above, I'm glad I do.

Anyway +1 on eneloops.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:26 pm

Another upvote for Eneloops.

Be sure to buy them from Panasonic (on Amazon) and no one else. They should be specifically noted as made in Japan. Otherwise, you're at risk of getting junk counterfeits.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:35 pm

Superleaf444 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Anyway +1 on eneloops.
There are other reasons to avoid Amazon altogether.
1. stealing start-ups ideas in the guise of wanting to invest in them
2. using seller's data to produce Amazon Basics product as competition.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... antitrust/

Anyway, +1 on Eneloops. I bought some from Newegg and some from Walmart.com

I have some AAs from Tenergy, and the tops near the + positive terminal came off.

Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:42 pm

go_mets wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:35 pm
Superleaf444 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Anyway +1 on eneloops.
There are other reasons to avoid Amazon altogether.
1. stealing start-ups ideas in the guise of wanting to invest in them
2. using seller's data to produce Amazon Basics product as competition.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... antitrust/

Anyway, +1 on Eneloops. I bought some from Newegg and some from Walmart.com

I have some AAs from Tenergy, and the tops near the + positive terminal came off.
Oh yeah, for sure, look at Bezos's charity record. It is utterly abysmal.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:53 pm

02nz wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 am
+1 on Eneloop. Apparently Amazon switched suppliers for their AmazonBasics rechargeables.
I've had excellent long term results with Eneloop.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:11 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:26 pm
Another upvote for Eneloops.

Be sure to buy them from Panasonic (on Amazon) and no one else. They should be specifically noted as made in Japan. Otherwise, you're at risk of getting junk counterfeits.
I also recommend the Eneloops, and when I've bought them from Amazon I've had no issues with counterfeits. HOWEVER, apparently when there are multiple sellers for any given item (Amazon, Panasonic, and whoever else) Amazon will mix the inventory for all sellers of the same item. So it's possible, if relatively unlikely, to get a counterfeit item even if you buy from Amazon or from the manufacturer via Amazon.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:07 am

samtex wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:10 pm
Well, I should have waited for more answers but I went ahead and bought some Enelope Pro's. One package came with a their charger. Is it a good one or should I purchased another brand?

In the past I bought a "Ecogear FX" Lithium-Ion charger from Amazon for use with Lithium Ion 18650 batteries and Amazon Basics NI-MH AA batteries.
I presume I should be using a NI-MH charger for those (NI-MH AA) instead?
The Eneloop brand charger should be good quality and take proper care of your batteries. I would use it.

Ecogear FX is not a brand I'm familiar with. Based on what I see listed, it appears they do make a dual-chemistry charger, but knowing that a lot of cheap chargers use a fairly dumb algorithm that can be harder on batteries, I'd prefer to stick with the known functionality of the Eneloop model.
Teague wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 am
I suggest sticking with some variety of low self-discharge battery unless you really need the extra capacity per charge. These days, cells from a reputable manufacturer between 2000 and 2400 mAh for AA size generally are low self-discharge, and often say something like "precharged" as a clue. My distant past experience with non-low-self-discharge NiMH batteries was they last a few dozen cycles before wearing out, and I've read similar about more recent high capacity NiMH cells.

hunoraut

Post by hunoraut » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:06 am

battery qualities change all the time due to change in the manufacturing and manufacturer.

the consumer reviews and independent reviews for eneloops and amazons cycle up and down.

country of manufacture seems a decent control point, so now i stick to Made in Japan.
emoore wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am
Ikea. Fairly inexpensive and high capacity. I think they are the same as eneloop (or another major brand) just branded Ikea and cheaper. Had really good luck with them.
same. the ikea ladda are high capacity, and seem to be made by the same factories that made/makes the "good" eneloops.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:29 am

I have used three brands:
Amazon - don't waste your money
Eneloop - good
Tenergy - good

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:49 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:29 am
I have used three brands:
Amazon - don't waste your money
Eneloop - good
Tenergy - good

Broken Man 1999
I don't know if it's still the case, but for a long time, Tenergy was the only brand I knew of that sold pre-charged (2nd generation) NiMH D-cell batteries.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings