Selling Silverware (all silver)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
happysteward

Selling Silverware (all silver)

Post by happysteward »

I have a lot of silverware from the "last" generation, we have never used it and the "next" generation wants no part of it...so I was considering selling and disbursing the $$ instead...any experience in selling silver? any tips? thanks in advance
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
Marmot

Re: Selling Silverware (all silver)

Post by Marmot »

I am interested in the replies as well.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I sold some gold and silver to Midwest Refineries in Michigan and was happy with the experience.

You box up the metals and mail it in, and they send you a check.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Your silverware may be worth more than melt. You owe it to yourself to calculate the scrap value and then shop for a better price.

Depending on what you have there are buyers who likely will pay you well over scrap.

Example --- If you have 1-125 pieces or ordinary pieces of sterling flatware please use our on-line submission forms to receive our offer. However, you have something that is very rare and extraordinary, or extremely old as in the 18th Century, or is considered to be of museum quality, then please email Greg the owner and head buyer directly at Greg@SilverQueen.com include photos if possible. Greg is especially looking for Tiffany, Gorham Martele, Older Georgian Silver from the 18th Century, Francis 1 Sterling Holloware, Georg Jensen, Lebolt, Kalo, Buccellati, and highly ornately pieces of silver holloware.

https://www.silverqueen.com/Info/Sell%2 ... hollowware
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
MJS

Post by MJS »

See the china / crystal / flatware replacement site: https://www.replacements.com/silver/

Note that fine dinnerware is not currently selling at elevated prices.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

You might check the sold prices on Ebay to see if it's worth selling there instead of a scrapper. Some folks might pay more than melt value for something that is functional.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
Watty

Post by Watty »

Pu239 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm You might check the sold prices on Ebay to see if it's worth selling there instead of a scrapper. Some folks might pay more than melt value for something that is functional.
Selling on eBay would be very risky since there are so many scammers there now an virtually no protection for sellers. There are lots of thread about eBay that you can look up.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I sold my grandmother's silverware. I regret it. Not because of the money, but as a tangible remembrance.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Be aware that some weight may not be silver. Fat knife handles could be plaster filled. Some blades could be steel. Some things are weighted like some salt and pepper shakers and vases. So you may have less silver weight than you think. Multiply by .925 to get true silver weight and make sure to weigh in grams or Troy ounces, not normal ounces. Most scrappers pay 80 to 90% of silver spot for true silver weight.
Mark | Kent, WA
illumination

Post by illumination »

If you can sell it as a set to someone that wants it for its intended purpose, you can make a lot more money then selling it as scrap. I'd try and sell it on Ebay or Craigslist first. I'm astonished what they get for just individual flatware that isn't sterling. I had some flatware individual pieces I needed that were stainless, not cheap.

Coin stores can be a good place to sell for the scrap. Just remember, they have to make some money to make it worth their while also.

I had some sterling silver, and has been pointed out, some of it was plaster filled (candle holders) He had to take all the plaster out and pound out the silver into something flat. I was pretty disappointed with the estimate, so I just decided to keep it. It was like $25 for a sterling silver candle holder.

Truthfully, people no longer really care about sterling silver, the people that do already have all they want. But I would try first before selling it as scrap.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

Local auction houses are also worth checking into if you don't want to risk Ebay or sell for scrap. If the silverware has any sentimental value, it might be worth keeping a few pieces as reminded by a previous poster. Descendants of the family might value them if given as special presents accompanied by a bit of history.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Recently downsized and had a bunch of flatware from Germany. This is .800 silver, not sterling. No kids or grandkids had any interest. Although years ago, my parents gave some to our son. Sold it for melt value to Midwest Refining (mentioned above). Satisfied with the deal. If knives are hollow and filled with plaster or something, they aren't worth anything. If our stuff were sterling, I would first have checked replacements.com.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

Depends on what you have. If it's truly antique, auction it. If it's a currently popular pattern per the online sites, sell it that way. If it's solid silver, a metals dealer will give you scrap value -- which varies depending on how pure the silver is. If it's silver plate, donate it to goodwill, etc.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
rennale

Post by rennale »

Stainless steel is mere dross compared to silver, there is no comparison. Although it took me half a century to realize. However, it needs to be looked after so isn't really suitable for a hectic family life. And if you don't use it, why have it?

American silver ranges greatly in quality. English silver has been strictly regulated since the 15th century (sterling silver and sterling currency are not named the same by accident) so quality is predictable. If it's English then try to sell it in the UK, where the market is more active and it will fetch considerably more.

On the other hand, if it's in good shape and has inherent beauty it might be worth putting into a box and waiting until the "next" generation finds it in your attic. By then the timeless beauties of Ikea may have dulled. :-)
SR II

Post by SR II »

My mother left us an incomplete set of totally unused sterling silver flatware from 1945-1947 in a pattern that is still being produced. The flatware was something our mom registered for before getting married, but it wasn't even the pattern she really wanted (due to availability after WWII), so she never used it. Therefore, no sentimental reason for us to hang onto it. Since neither of us were interested in such an ornate pattern, my sister and I decided to sell a few pieces on eBay in October and November. At that time of year, we figured folks might want replacement pieces for their upcoming holiday table settings. We only put up one piece at a time; like a teaspoon or a dinner fork. Every piece we listed sold and we made some $$$. We do have more pieces we could sell, but neither of us are that motivated. Maybe another day!