Family expanding - Time for a 3 row SUV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mw1739

Re: Family expanding - Time for a 3 row SUV

Post by mw1739 »

Good experience so far with our new Chevy Traverse. Seems to have the only usable 3rd row in the class. More storage space than a Tahoe without being as big. With that said, the best choice probably is a minivan or a Suburban/Yukon XL if you really need space.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

anthonyphamy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:28 pm Why does this forum seem to recommend the Honda Odyssey for a van choice, and why not the Toyota Sienna?
From what I have observed, the reason is merely that the Odyssey has sold more units than the Sienna thus more people have experience with the Honda.

It’s a bit of a chicken/egg problem, and if there was ever a reason to consider one model objectively superior to the other I suspect that day is long past. Both seem like excellent vehicles.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
Balance

Post by Balance »

We were in a similar situation during our last purchase a couple of years ago. My sons were age 5 and 1 at the time and we tried out the Highlander and Pilot. My 5-year-old still had a hard time getting in and out of the SUV by himself. The biggest issue for us was the third row was not easily accessible.

Then we started looking at the Honda Odyssey. We loved how much lower to the ground it was and the kids could get in and out on their own without our help which was a big advantage over the SUV's we looked at. The clincher for us was how easy it was to utilize the third row. We could easily move the second row (via rail sliders) to access the third row. The third row is also super comfortable and roomy compared to the SUV's. Another thing to mention is that the Odyssey has really good torque and an amazing turning radius. We find it easier to drive and park than with our Toyota Prius. We couldn't have been happier with our decision. Since we are shuffling kids and family this was the best option for us.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

anthonyphamy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:28 pm Why does this forum seem to recommend the Honda Odyssey for a van choice, and why not the Toyota Sienna?
Ha ha .... Probably because Odyssey was recently updated. The new Sienna is coming out soon.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

mw1739 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm Good experience so far with our new Chevy Traverse. Seems to have the only usable 3rd row in the class. More storage space than a Tahoe without being as big. With that said, the best choice probably is a minivan or a Suburban/Yukon XL if you really need space.
Good suggestion!
How bout a lightly used 2020 Chevy Traverse for $35k? More than a dozen being sold by Hertz. Or a heavily used 2018 one with 93k miles for $20k. Just throwing it out there. By October, they may be out of business, or having a bigger fire sale for the rest of the fleet.

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/used-cars ... ter%20desc

I wouldn't overpay for the Telluride/Palisades myself, although seating comfort is tops. And aside from the minivan suggestions, I think the Pilot 3rd row is the most comfortable least uncomfortable, but you should test them out yourself. I recall Mazda and Toyota were very tight in previous generations, and I haven't heard much lately to make me think they've improved much. The Ascend might be worth comparing on this note.
vineviz wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:53 pm
From what I have observed, the reason is merely that the Odyssey has sold more units than the Sienna thus more people have experience with the Honda.

It’s a bit of a chicken/egg problem, and if there was ever a reason to consider one model objectively superior to the other I suspect that day is long past. Both seem like excellent vehicles.
They're both excellent choices, but Honda seems to have a slight better balance point than Toyota. In this case, the Odyssey still isn't available in 4WD, so that favors the Sienna.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

atikovi wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:17 pm
vineviz wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:56 pm One crucial key to good decision making is a willingness to question your initial assumptions, so I don’t think a little pushback on that is out of line.
OK then, I suggest a Suburban if space is more important, or a BMW X5M if the driving experience is.
OP said three row suv so it would actually be the BMW X7
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

kamikazekid wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:56 pm Our family is expanding! We have a 5.5 yo, and a new baby due in March. My parents and in laws both live outside US and often visit us for longer durations (3+ weeks) to as long as 2 months). I am in the market for a 3 row SUV - aim to buy closer to October.

Option 1 - Buy a gently used Pilot or Highlander or CX9 or Subaru Ascent. I have ruled out VW Atlas.
Option 2 - Buy a new Telluride or Pallisade.

Prefer Option 1 - I will get the latest safety features and wont pay premium. I doubt if dealers will budge even slightly on prices for Telluride/Pallisade since they are apparently selling like hot cakes.

Question for the community :
1. Are there folks on the forum who have first hand experience with either of the vehicles listed in OPtion 1 ? Hard to choose between them so looking for guidance. Want to know your overall satisfaction with the vehicles in Option 1 and if I should be researching other candidates.
2. Would you in my position go with Option 1 or 2?

My current cars are a Sedan (100 k miles) and a SUV, (150k miles) both Hondas . I plan to sell the sedan since it doesnt do to well in the new england snow.....
We drove three of the four in option 1 (2019s). The CX9 is really well-appointed and has an upscale feel. But it is on the small side compared to the others. DW preferred the Toyota to the Honda (better ride and cabin layout for her) so we went with that. Have not regretted it. Plenty spacious in rows 1 and 2, a bit cramped in row 3. We use it mostly as a large 5-seater (we got it with a bench seat in row 2), with the 8-seat option only for occasional use.
Last edited by investor4life on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

atikovi wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:17 pm
vineviz wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:56 pm One crucial key to good decision making is a willingness to question your initial assumptions, so I don’t think a little pushback on that is out of line.
OK then, I suggest a Suburban if space is more important, or a BMW X5M if the driving experience is.
Suburban is the right answer.

It's great for towing an enclosed racecar trailer.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Stumptowngal

Post by Stumptowngal »

I suggest seriously looking at Option 1 and specifically the Subaru Ascent.

Last fall I rode in a number of 3 row SUVs as my daughter’s family with three children was searching for a new vehicle. Although I suggested looking at minivans also, their non-cool persona in my daughter’s mind made it a no-go.

While the CX 9 has great styling and pleasing driving dynamics, there was definitely less cargo room and head room in it compared to the Subaru Ascent. As a 5’ 4” person, I appreciated the more spacious feel of the Ascent’s 3rd row while sharing it with a ten year old. I definitely recommend choosing the option of two captains chairs for the middle row. It makes it easier to get to the 3rd row; plus children will appreciate their own well-defined space as they grow older.

And IMO, nothing beats a Subaru’s all wheel drive system for the snow compared to other brands. While I love driving my all wheel drive Toyota Rav4 Hybrid, I have to say my former Subaru Forester was superior for the Pacific NW snow country.

Enjoy your car search.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Minivan is the only answer. My wife wanted nothing to do with one, until we had twins to go along with a 3 year old. We picked the Odyssey as we could put them three across in the middle row. Now our kids are 12, 9 and 9, and it's still going strong with 150K on it. The only mod needed is to eliminate the cylinder deactivation.

We had a 3rd row SUV initially. You had a choice between using the 3rd row (small kids only) or storage room. Van gives you both options. Great for road trips. Nice when you park anywhere with kids since you don't have to be concerned about them hitting an adjacent car when they open the door. If your garage is tight, easier to load up with the sliding doors too.

It's not a car anymore - it's a kid mover.

Only downside is if you need to pull a boat or something heavier like that - it's not made for that.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We own a 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring (GT) that we purchased new and are very happy with. It's an all-around great vehicle. We've had it for nearly 3 years and 25,000 miles with no issues, just regular maintenance.

If a CX-9 ends up being a likely final choice I'd highly recommend driving one first. The CX-9 is one of the smallest full-size SUVs. We only use the 3rd row on rare occasions so the fact that it's tighter than some and that cargo space with the 3rd row up is sparse is of no consequence. For you it may be more of a consideration. Other than that I would recommend it without hesitation.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

We own a 2019 Ascent and like it. We recently added a trailer hitch/electrical hookup and it does a great job hauling a small camping trailer (2000Lb) even through mountain passes.

Things we like are: Comfortable. The turbo provides plenty of get up and go. The optional leg supporting seat for driver. Handles well. Plenty of room for our two big mutts. The adaptive cruise control is very good. Not quite as smooth and natural as our Tesla but very good. I change my own oil. The oil filter is on top of the engine, drain easily accessible which are both great things. We will be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

Although we both like the car quite a lot, it does have some annoyances. These are due to some curious design choices.

If you open the back hatch and leave it open, about 4 hours +/- later your battery is dead. Completely dead. 24-48H on a battery tender brought it back the first time but the battery has never been the same. The car draws about 4 Amps of current when the hatch is open. It apparently wakes up everything so turning off the interior lights makes little change. The dealer says they can't do anything about it, treats it like I'm complaining about nothing and "all cars do that now", which is b.s. We tailgate, we use the tail gate to sit on when we are out in nature, we have dogs. These are all things Subaru shows people doing in commercials, yet we can't do it. There is a class action related to this. Not sure it will go anywhere. All they need to do is change the software a little... We are hoping they do.

We despise TomTom which is the built in GPS program. We generally don't use it and when we do we get annoyed with it. It just isn't very good at its job and the graphics are pretty rudimentary.

Another little thing: Driveway moments. Quite often I undo my seat belt just as I'm coming to a stop in my driveway. (I'm a multi-tasker :-) ) That generates a bing-bing-bing alert. That's fine. But, putting it in park does not stop the bing-bing-bing. That's not fine. Would like to be able to hear that thing on the radio. So, I have to reconnect the belt, then undo it again to cancel the bings. I know, don't undo the belt until parked... But that's not how I roll.

There's one other thing that annoys but I can't remember it so it must not be that important. I think it could be fixed in software too.

All that being said, I would recommend the Ascent. Be sure to test out the third row with your kids to check fit. Not a huge 3rd row so I've heard. (We keep ours folded down mostly.)
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

BH_RedRan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:41 pm
Although we both like the car quite a lot, it does have some annoyances. These are due to some curious design choices.

If you open the back hatch and leave it open, about 4 hours +/- later your battery is dead. Completely dead. 24-48H on a battery tender brought it back the first time but the battery has never been the same. The car draws about 4 Amps of current when the hatch is open. It apparently wakes up everything so turning off the interior lights makes little change. The dealer says they can't do anything about it, treats it like I'm complaining about nothing and "all cars do that now", which is b.s. We tailgate, we use the tail gate to sit on when we are out in nature, we have dogs. These are all things Subaru shows people doing in commercials, yet we can't do it. There is a class action related to this. Not sure it will go anywhere. All they need to do is change the software a little... We are hoping they do.
I have the same exact problem with my 2018 Outback. Found out the hard way while camping and letting my dog lay in the back with the hatch open. Luckily I had a portable battery starter.. drives me crazy that this is a design flaw in a brand that prides itself on the outdoors. I’ve also had various other electrical issues.. all wth under 28k miles. Can’t say I’m sold on the brand!
Having said that, top trims in the Subaru lineups feel luxurious!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

BH_RedRan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:41 pm Another little thing: Driveway moments. Quite often I undo my seat belt just as I'm coming to a stop in my driveway. (I'm a multi-tasker :-) ) That generates a bing-bing-bing alert. That's fine. But, putting it in park does not stop the bing-bing-bing. That's not fine. Would like to be able to hear that thing on the radio. So, I have to reconnect the belt, then undo it again to cancel the bings. I know, don't undo the belt until parked... But that's not how I roll.
Interesting. I usually forget to remove mine and then have to take a while figuring out why I can't get out of the car.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

OP let us know how the minivan works out!
We bought an 06 Odyssey when first one on the way. We love it.
At 180k miles, I spent $3k to replace the transmission last month. It's only worth $2-3k, but we need the van for 3 more years, and then our last will be driving himself!
If I were starting new, I'd look at the Pacifica Hybrid. Its range is 32 miles battery only, which is probably 90% of the trips our van took in its lifetime.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

arsenalfan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:37 pm OP let us know how the minivan works out!
We bought an 06 Odyssey when first one on the way. We love it.
At 180k miles, I spent $3k to replace the transmission last month. It's only worth $2-3k, but we need the van for 3 more years, and then our last will be driving himself!
If I were starting new, I'd look at the Pacifica Hybrid. Its range is 32 miles battery only, which is probably 90% of the trips our van took in its lifetime.
There is also a $7,500 federal rebate on the Pacifica Hybrids in addition to $2,000 rebate for the state I live in.

The only thing that makes be nervous about the Pacifica Hybrid is the complexity of the vehicle and Chrysler poor track record with vehicle reliability.
Any one here own a Pacifica Hybrid?
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

RocketShipTech wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:10 pm Of course minivans have more room, they’re 8 to 12 inches longer than 3 row SUVs.

The question is do you need all that extra space all the time to compensate for the inconvenience of a longer vehicle.
This is the same debate we are having.

We only have 2 kids and would rarely need a third row; However, my wife wants a vehicle with a 3rd row for the few times a year we carpool some of the kids friends for short around town trips. I like the Highlander as it has the 3rd row when needed but on the smaller side compared so some other 3 row SUVs.

My thought is if we want to go big, a minivan would be a lot better than getting a comparable sized 3 row SUV. So we are debating either a highlander (or something equivalent in size) or the upcoming Sienna minivan if we decide we want all that extra space. Some of these larger 3 row SUVs are approaching the same size as a minivan but not nearly as practical as a minivan.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

cusetownusa wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:56 am
RocketShipTech wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:10 pm Of course minivans have more room, they’re 8 to 12 inches longer than 3 row SUVs.

The question is do you need all that extra space all the time to compensate for the inconvenience of a longer vehicle.
This is the same debate we are having.

We only have 2 kids and would rarely need a third row; However, my wife wants a vehicle with a 3rd row for the few times a year we carpool some of the kids friends for short around town trips. I like the Highlander as it has the 3rd row when needed but on the smaller side compared so some other 3 row SUVs.

My thought is if we want to go big, a minivan would be a lot better than getting a comparable sized 3 row SUV. So we are debating either a highlander (or something equivalent in size) or the upcoming Sienna minivan if we decide we want all that extra space. Some of these larger 3 row SUVs are approaching the same size as a minivan but not nearly as practical as a minivan.
Minivans are not only longer (in many cases), they also tend to have lower floors than an SUV because there is no additional ground clearance over a car and usually no provision for AWD, which requires space for a driveshaft and differential. So your floor to ceiling height is a bit better in a minivan. The downside is that no minivan is rated to tow more than around 3,000lbs.

I would definitely sit in the third row before choosing a 3 row SUV. My spouse was interested in the Highlander until seeing that the third row is really just a jump seat to be used in a pinch by smaller children. The Ascent and Atlas have third rows that are usable by adults (under 6 foot).
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

A cx9 is a good bang for the buck based on family member view. Pricing is less than highlander but very similar maintenance costs.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
queso

Post by queso »

bloom2708 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:50 pm I would get a gently used Ascent.

Telluride and Palisade are almost unseen. No reason to pay $5k over MSRP or more.

I have a Ford Expedition EL. 8 seats. Tow. Cargo. Comfy. It is a beast but the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost is super.
This x 100. I actually tried to buy a Telluride last month. I contacted around 10 dealers as far away as a few hours from my house. Every single one of them that quoted me a price quoted it way over MSRP. I tried Costco auto, but their engine reported that "none of the Kia dealers in my area conform to Costco's strict pricing standards" so I was unable to go that route. One quote from the closest dealer to me was $5995 over MSRP. The highest one sent me a picture of the window sticker and it had "Appearance Package - Simoniz Glasscoat - $7134" on it. The whole experience was so off putting that I ended up getting a different brand of vehicle. It looks like a great car, but they are really taking advantage of the recent surge in popularity and current supply issues. Granted, they are well within their right to do that, but I just wasn't willing to pay a massive premium over MSRP for a Kia.

Good luck with whatever you choose!