Can I (homeowner) pay roofer's insurance premium?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Can I (homeowner) pay roofer's insurance premium?

Post by coalcracker »

I'm having a h*$# of a time finding a mason to repoint a couple of monster chimneys. I've been told by a chimney sweep (and can see myself) that the mortar is in bad shape. Once during a deluge, water made it to the first floor fire box, suggesting the cement cap may need to be addressed as well.

The problem, I gather, is access. One of the chimneys projects about 12 feet above the roof line between the original old house and addition, adjacent to bubble skylights; there is no flat space around the chimney to place a ladder or scaffold. The other chimney is similar in height near the third floor roof line, and it will need a LOOONG ladder to access. I've had two companies show up to give me estimates. They both have ghosted me after lamenting the difficult access during their visits.

My next door neighbor recently had a freestanding field stone wall rebuilt in an impressive way by a stone mason. I'm told by the neighbor he is excellent and does chimney repointing. However, he is an older gentleman who eschews the standard practices of a modern business: no cell, email, or insurance. No way I would allow him up on my roof without proper insurance, for his protection as well as mine.

Assuming he agrees to the proposal, would it be legal for me to offer to pay his insurance premium (more precisely, give him money to pay it himself)? I can keep looking, but I fear he might be my best or only option to get this done anytime soon.
RudyS

Re: Can I (homeowner) pay roofer's insurance premium?

Post by RudyS »

Why is this not so simple as him increasing his price to cover the insurance?
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

These tall chimneys are difficult to repair and of course its even more difficult to find someone to do it. If you live in a state where there are historical house museums or even restored factories turned into lofts, you might want to see who they use. Also, if your state and locality have any historical societies that might be a source. I think its 100' which distinguishes between a chimney and a smokestack, but perhaps googling smokestack restoration might yield results.

An older home I pass by had to have this done. The mason built a scaffold all the way up the side for one on the end of the house and the other was built around the other standing on the roof. It was not flat but rested around the ridge; it looked secure - I wonder if they checked the decking and trusses.

There are chimney scaffolds:

http://www.nationwideladder.com/product ... -scaffold/

Perhaps see where they rent them locally and then ask who they rent them to.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Not to derail, but I have wondered about vendor insurance for potentially risky jobs (tree cutting, etc)

I got a huge umbrella policy... does that enable me not to worry about it?
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

I see two areas of risk if you let this person do the work. He might hurt himself and sue you or he might damage your building. If you really think he can do the work you want done, why don't you talk to your insurance agent and purchase a rider that covers you for both risks.
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

earlyout wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm I see two areas of risk if you let this person do the work. He might hurt himself and sue you or he might damage your building. If you really think he can do the work you want done, why don't you talk to your insurance agent and purchase a rider that covers you for both risks.
Is this possible?

I do have a large umbrella policy, but I was under the impression I might not be covered for work like this. Not sure if a rider would make things different.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

It may depend on what insurance you now have but it certainly won't hurt anything to call your insurance agent and ask.
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

Is there a tuck pointing or restoration company in the area that I used to using lifts to reach hard to reach areas? As the saying goes "Right tool for the right job."
Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 »

How about renting one of those telescopic boom lifts?