Backyard BBQ - easy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
m@ver1ck

Backyard BBQ - easy

Post by m@ver1ck »

So at this point my family has turned vegetarian and I'm the only one who occasionally eats any fish/chicken/lamb chops.

Kids don't like the smell of meat - and I respect that - so taking my cooking outside. Not something they want but I understand.

Any recommendations on easy to maintain BBQs/Grilles for the backyard. Easy of cleaning and maintenance is most important. Should be easy to use etc. Not super concerned with pricing. Also, smaller is better since I'm just cooking for one.
Starfish

Re: Backyard BBQ - easy

Post by Starfish »

What is your question? All/most grills/bbqs are outdoors.
If my kids kicked me out I would have very different questions.
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

Just get a Weber. Lots of sizes to choose from and are high quality. Get a cover as well if its kept outdoors full time.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

In years past, we would get a small "table top" style grill that we grilled on. It was super easy to use because it was small, we grilled right outside our front door basically, cost was around $20, and then we disposed of it at the end of grilling season. And then we'd get a new one the following grilling season. We still have a large grill, but we don't use it a lot because it's downstairs and out on a back patio, but the "table top" one was just super convenient.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

Just to complicate matters, are you planning on using charcoal or gas? Gas makes less of a mess. I have a Broilermaster Grill (first one only lasted 20 years) that is hooked to my home's natural gas. It is clean, easy and I don't have to hassle with refilling the tanks. I can also use it if the power goes out for things like scrambled eggs on a cast iron skillet/flatop. Get something with two burners so if you want to smoke some meat to eat on for days like a brisket or pork butt or "bake" biscuits or cook a pizza via indirect method.

You could also grill vegetables on it without the taste of meat.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Weber Q gas fueled or Weber Smokey Joe if using charcoal.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

fuddbogle wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:49 am Just get a Weber. Lots of sizes to choose from and are high quality. Get a cover as well if its kept outdoors full time.
+1 on Weber. I assume fuddbogle is speaking of a propane Weber (I do also have the old-school charcoal one which comes out sometimes to assist at larger gatherings)
The quality is high, durability is very good, and replacement parts are both easy to get and install. Ours is 20 years old. I have replaced the "flavor bars" and the sheet metal on the bottom, both due to rust. I use it rear round, even in the winter. I would say ditto on the cover... though I am terrible about remembering to use ours...
Cheers
BostonButterfly

Post by BostonButterfly »

Big green egg minimax (or mini). I’ve had a large size for many many years, and just recently added a Minimax. Love it!
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

https://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/shop/p ... mier-grill

These are the most amazing grills ever.

[Link formatted by moderator oldcomputerguy]
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
ImmigrantSaver

Post by ImmigrantSaver »

Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:03 am
fuddbogle wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:49 am Just get a Weber. Lots of sizes to choose from and are high quality. Get a cover as well if its kept outdoors full time.
+1 on Weber. I assume fuddbogle is speaking of a propane Weber (I do also have the old-school charcoal one which comes out sometimes to assist at larger gatherings)
The quality is high, durability is very good, and replacement parts are both easy to get and install. Ours is 20 years old. I have replaced the "flavor bars" and the sheet metal on the bottom, both due to rust. I use it rear round, even in the winter. I would say ditto on the cover... though I am terrible about remembering to use ours...
Cheers
+2 on Weber. My friends gave me the mini version of it for birthday this spring and I love it. Cooking on it at least 2-3 times a week. Easy to clean. Mine is gas and one gas tank lasts 7-8 grillings.

You can also grill veggies on it for your kids - zucchini, pineapple, corn etc
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

If the only requirement is that you cook your meat outside, you don’t necessarily need a grill. You could use a George Foreman grill or just a burner and pan. Obviously, you’d bring them inside when you’re done.

You might be able to cook indoors if you had a good hood.
DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor »

Get a small webber gas grill. We use ours all the time to grill meat - every night just start it up with the push of a button - scrape it down - and toss on your dinner. Cook ten minutes on each side and done (thinner cuts cook a bit less, thicker cuts cook a bit more). This is "grilling" and not really BBQing. Use various seasonings depending upon cut of meat - I like Newman's seasonings for chicken and have various seasonings I like on steak and burgers.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Cover it when not in use.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If you’re grilling, a small gas grill will do. If bbqing, a small pellet grill will do. If both, a larger gas grill, to allow indirect cooking, might be the thing.

As to which one, you will have to do your own research. Amazingribs.com is a good place to start. My Weber Genesis is a great gas grill, but it’s 9 or 10 years old and I understand they’re not built the same nowadays. I imagine they’re still quite good nonetheless.

I’m terribly sorry about what happened to your family.

JT
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

+1 on Weber.
We like our little table top gas Weber.
Cleaning is the same as any indoor grill, perhaps easier when the grill left on to burn-off residue before cleaning. Empty grease drip tray as needed. It goes with us for family/group picnics too. And we do veggies too!
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas ... 0001.html
There are other brands so look around.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:15 am
m@ver1ck wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:13 am So at this point my family has turned vegetarian and I'm the only one who occasionally eats any fish/chicken/lamb chops.

Kids don't like the smell of meat - and I respect that - so taking my cooking outside. Not something they want but I understand....

I'd kill myself.
How long until the kids find their own place?? :D :D Just go find yourself a nice Weber gas grill (I don't have one as I'm a charcoal guy), keep it covered when not is use, and grill away!!
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

A little mini-Hibachi that many apartment dwellers use on their balconies will be fine. You can even grill those Impossible Burgers or Beyond Meat and other vegetables on these things. Should cost about $25, so instead of buying $25 of cleaning and maintenance supplies each year, just toss the grill and buy a new one.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Weber Spirit 210 or 310 series gas grill
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

bottlecap wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:59 am
Hahahaha, too funny!
Yes, my condolences.
Bottlecap, have you heard that they are not "as good" nowadays? I'll admit to not paying attention since I'm not in the market for a grill at the moment.
I keep thinking if and when we do a refresh to our deck/ outdoor area (and by refresh I mean tearing out the deck which I hate and putting in a slate patio) I though I would treat us to a new Genesis. I suppose I'd do a little more research at that point.
Cheers
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Foodbogle (Well, Fuddbogle): +1
We have a Webber and an outdoor, propane grill. Webber smaller and not an issue other than lighting the charcoal but can also be used as a smoker. If a propane grill is used often, it requires cleaning from the drippings, including occasional replacement of burners, getting propane replacement, etc. Both are great, but the Webber is more versatile in my opinion, the propane more involved. There is also an option for an electric smoker that is fun if interested in branching out into BBQ. In our area we would call what you have mentioned grilling. BBQ is specific to smoking pork, brisket, etc.

Tim
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

Weber Spirit 210. Should run around $429.

It's all the grill most households need, both size and performance. Have a good warranty and should give no trouble.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

Anorher vote for Weber. We purchased one this spring (to support more on-patio eating during the pandemic). It heats very evenly and is easy to clean. It seems more durable than the Charbroil and similar cheaper brands that we briefly considered.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:56 am
bottlecap wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:59 am
Hahahaha, too funny!
Yes, my condolences.
Bottlecap, have you heard that they are not "as good" nowadays?
My kids always want to come smell me after I've been cooking any kind of meat! To be fair, they like many vegetables, too.

My understanding is that they now make certain parts a little more cheaply, with a lower grade of stainless steel, for instance. I'm sure that they still cook well and will probably last as long, but that's the word on the web. The biggest one they make, however, still feels pretty sturdy to me when I examined it a the local Lowe's.

Happy grilling!
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

m@ver1ck wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:13 amAny recommendations on easy to maintain BBQs/Grilles for the backyard. Easy of cleaning and maintenance is most important. Should be easy to use etc. Not super concerned with pricing. Also, smaller is better since I'm just cooking for one.
Sounds like what you need is an outdoor kitchen. Install natural gas line or propane tank grill like a Weber is easiest for quick cooking and cleanup. What about cooking with pots and pans? Another option is to buy outdoor gas burners.

Cooking outdoors in bad weather is going to suck. Here's another option for your situation: sous vide. Cook indoors in temperature controlled water bath. Meat is cooked in sealed plastic bags under water so there is no smell. If you like charring, that can be done outside in 60 seconds using a grill or a cooking blowtorch. It's also very easy for small portion cooking or preparing meals for a whole week in advance.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Topic Author
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into it these suggestions over the weekend.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

We have a Weber propane grill at our cabin, used to have charcoal grills. Propane is great for occasional use. Just clean the grill while it is still a little hot and any food particles will come right off. Definitely get the grill cover or any grill will rust out within a season. If you have a newer house you may already be plumbed for natural gas onto the patio. Otherwise running a line is probably not worth the cost.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Another vote for charcoal & Big Green Egg.
pramin1966

Post by pramin1966 »

Me and my son are non-veg. Wife and daughter are veg.

For our grill we have veg and non-veg grill grates.

Just cooked pizza and corn on the veg grates. Chicken and fish on the non-veg grates.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

m@ver1ck wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:13 am So at this point my family has turned vegetarian and I'm the only one who occasionally eats any fish/chicken/lamb chops.

Kids don't like the smell of meat - and I respect that - so taking my cooking outside. Not something they want but I understand.

Any recommendations on easy to maintain BBQs/Grilles for the backyard. Easy of cleaning and maintenance is most important. Should be easy to use etc. Not super concerned with pricing. Also, smaller is better since I'm just cooking for one.
I'd get an electric Weber or other brand. It can be used outdoors or in the garage as well.

George Forman also has one too.
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

I’m so sorry!

Kids these days.

Weber genesis gas grill? Might be bigger than you want unless the others end up wanting grilled vegetables, portobello mushrooms, etc. Low maintenance and easy to keep clean though.
I think I can > I believe I can > I did
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Please wear one of these shirts when you're preparing your feast.

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/lucky-pig?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_5
Henceforth I’ll bear Affliction till it do cry out itself, “Enough, enough,” and die.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

I recommend a Weber Smoky Joe as well. Ideal in size for meals for 1-2. I find it cooks as good as my 22" kettle with far less charcoal. You're going to be making a production of grilling your meat for one, so go charcoal and maybe a chunk of wood for the best flavor. Bonus, you can grill eggplant, zucchini, portobello mushrooms, peppers and onions or halloumi cheese for the vegetarians. Ok, you might need a bigger grill for all that for the crowd. :D
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Weber Q is great for a small portable grill.
dlrkw9mu

Post by dlrkw9mu »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:40 am Weber Spirit 210 or 310 series gas grill
This. The current line of "Spirit II"s come with 10 year warranties.
For ease of use, I'd probably go with propane. Food tastes better on charcoal (IMO) but there's definitely a bit more work involved to get them going.
John88

Post by John88 »

Very similar at our home. Very little meat but lots of grilled mixed veggies.

We have had just about all the Webers charcoal grills and smokers. Smokey Joe, Ranch Kettle, WSMs, etc

Now have an Akorn Kamado but my go to for the last year has been a Weber Q 2200 with a large propane tank mod. Perfect for our current eating habits.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Our only grill is a charcoal Weber smokey joe gold, probably close to 30 years old. It's fine for two people, Weber makes a smaller chimney starter too as it doesn't need an enormous amount of coals. Spare grates are cheap on Amazon, too.

Do yourself a favor though, don't get the gold model like us. Sure, sounds fancy but the ventilation is much worse due the design. I'm not sure what the platinum design is, but you want the one with a vent in the bottom or you will struggle to keep the coals hot with the lid on.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Quercus Palustris wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:21 am Do yourself a favor though, don't get the gold model like us. Sure, sounds fancy but the ventilation is much worse due the design. I'm not sure what the platinum design is, but you want the one with a vent in the bottom or you will struggle to keep the coals hot with the lid on.
I was just going to say this. The regular smokey joe has the bottom daisy wheel, while the "lower" vents for the smoky joe premium are on the side and don't work nearly as well. So the basic one is a better grill than the premium, despite missing the loop that can hold the lid while cooking or lock it closed for transport, and several other nice features.

What I just did for my dad, who I suspect has a similar capacity need as the OP (they both eat meat, but the two of them together eat as much as one younger person) was get him the Jumbo Joe, which is an 18" (vs. 14" for the other joes), that has all the upgraded features of the smokey joe premium, but still has the daisy wheel damper on the bottom. Then I got him a slow 'n sear, which lets him effectively use just one side of the grill at a time, whether he wants direct or indirect heat. He's only used it a couple of times, but really likes it so far. I then added wooden file handles to both dampers to make it easy to adjust them while the grill is hot.

The Jumbo Joe might be a good option for the OP also, since as others have mentioned grilled veggies are yummy too!
Kompass

Post by Kompass »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:38 am
Quercus Palustris wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:21 am Do yourself a favor though, don't get the gold model like us. Sure, sounds fancy but the ventilation is much worse due the design. I'm not sure what the platinum design is, but you want the one with a vent in the bottom or you will struggle to keep the coals hot with the lid on.
I was just going to say this. The regular smokey joe has the bottom daisy wheel, while the "lower" vents for the smoky joe premium are on the side and don't work nearly as well. So the basic one is a better grill than the premium, despite missing the loop that can hold the lid while cooking or lock it closed for transport, and several other nice features.

What I just did for my dad, who I suspect has a similar capacity need as the OP (they both eat meat, but the two of them together eat as much as one younger person) was get him the Jumbo Joe, which is an 18" (vs. 14" for the other joes), that has all the upgraded features of the smokey joe premium, but still has the daisy wheel damper on the bottom. Then I got him a slow 'n sear, which lets him effectively use just one side of the grill at a time, whether he wants direct or indirect heat. He's only used it a couple of times, but really likes it so far. I then added wooden file handles to both dampers to make it easy to adjust them while the grill is hot.

The Jumbo Joe might be a good option for the OP also, since as others have mentioned grilled veggies are yummy too!
I want to second this recommendation. I am similar to the OP in that I cook for one and my experience level is on the lower end. Based on this thread and the one on smokers I spent the better part of the day yesterday researching what would work best for me. I just ordered the Jumbo Joe along with the small chimney starter, charcoal holders for indirect cooking, and the stainless grill that lifts on the side for charcoal management. While I am interested in smoking and in advancing my skills on the grill I didn’t want to make a huge investment but did want to give myself a reasonable chance of success. $155 all in on Amazon I figured to be a reasonable amount to start up a new hobby.

Thank you to all of the posters in both threads for your expertise. :beer
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
Topic Author
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

Kompass wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 am
lazydavid wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:38 am

I want to second this recommendation. I am similar to the OP in that I cook for one and my experience level is on the lower end. Based on this thread and the one on smokers I spent the better part of the day yesterday researching what would work best for me. I just ordered the Jumbo Joe along with the small chimney starter, charcoal holders for indirect cooking, and the stainless grill that lifts on the side for charcoal management. While I am interested in smoking and in advancing my skills on the grill I didn’t want to make a huge investment but did want to give myself a reasonable chance of success. $155 all in on Amazon I figured to be a reasonable amount to start up a new hobby.

Thank you to all of the posters in both threads for your expertise. :beer
How's the BBQ project going?
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I am on my second Weber. They are excellent. Try to stay away from the porcelain grates, they are tough to clean. Stainless steel are the best. You may have to swap out to get stainless steel, as they only come with some models.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

If you go with the Weber Spirit Below the burners there are two metal removable “food debris”pans at the bottom. One is large, rectangular and sloped, and has a hole that feeds grease into the other smaller and squared pan. I line the large pan with aluminum foil and punch out the hole area that feeds into the smaller pan. For the smaller pan, I place a disposable foil pan (like you might get take-out food in) so that it sits in the permanent pan, kind of like a liner.
Makes clean up much easier.
BTW IMO Weber is the best.
dgnative

Post by dgnative »

We love our George Forman 18 Inch round Electric grill came with a heavy cover bag for outside storage, plenty of grilling space
Has a heavy cast grilling surface with a drip valley and easy clean tray. Easy to use Temperature control.
I purchased 5 Casters for base and just roll out garage door plug into heavy orange extension and grill.