How dead is dead? (USPS mail)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
yules

How dead is dead? (USPS mail)

Post by yules »

Bogleheads,

I have begun to receive political mailings, strangely, from both parties. None of these are particularly informative or insightful and I really don’t need this clutter.

I have the urge to write “return to sender—recipient deceased” so stop sending me mail and, hopefully, take me off the lists that they all share.

My concern is that the USPS will read this, think that I am really dead, and, I don’t know, stop sending me my real mail or start sending my real mail back to those senders also.

So my question is, if I write “return to sender—deceased” do you know if that would have my intended effect (stopping only certain mail) or an unintended effect (USPS thinks I am dead and stops all mail)?

Thank you
Yules
emoore

Re: How dead is dead? (USPS mail)

Post by emoore »

yules wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 pm Bogleheads,

I have begun to receive political mailings, strangely, from both parties. None of these are particularly informative or insightful and I really don’t need this clutter.

I have the urge to write “return to sender—recipient deceased” so stop sending me mail and, hopefully, take me off the lists that they all share.

My concern is that the USPS will read this, think that I am really dead, and, I don’t know, stop sending me my real mail or start sending my real mail back to those senders also.

So my question is, if I write “return to sender—deceased” do you know if that would have my intended effect (stopping only certain mail) or an unintended effect (USPS thinks I am dead and stops all mail)?

Thank you
Yules
No it won't have the intended effect. My father passed away a couple of years ago and there is still mail going to my mother's house, especially junk mail.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

I don't know the rules, but I would not falsely state your living/death status just to avoid some junk mail. Some of those may be targeted to you, but a good number are probably just bulk sent to every house. I would instead pursue other options to opt out of as much junk mail as possible. I've seen some lists, but it's been a while. Google could probably tell you if someone else here doesn't first.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Thank you
Yules
Political mailings are legal solicitation and are exempt from "do not contact", it is depending on your party affiliation. Even if you have your name removed, the post office will still deliver to current resident.

I managed to escape solicitations when I had a mail box for ten years, but as soon as I gave that up, I was found included located on much of the privately own websites as Spokeo etc.

There is nothing you can do, sorry.
Topic Author
yules

Post by yules »

emoore wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:43 pm

Thank you
Yules
No it won't have the intended effect. My father passed away a couple of years ago and there is still mail going to my mother's house, especially junk mail.
Thank you, and condolences (albeit belated) for your loss. I lost my uncle (who raised me like a father) 2 years ago, and even there are time it feels like the wound is still fresh.

Yules
Topic Author
yules

Post by yules »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:46 pm I don't know the rules, but I would not falsely state your living/death status just to avoid some junk mail. Some of those may be targeted to you, but a good number are probably just bulk sent to every house. I would instead pursue other options to opt out of as much junk mail as possible. I've seen some lists, but it's been a while. Google could probably tell you if someone else here doesn't first.
That makes sense. Some are addressed to me or current resident, so I guess technically they can still send it to me until the building sinks into the ground or something.

It’s just weird because I get these mailings, but not the others in this household.

Thanks for the response!
Yules
Topic Author
yules

Post by yules »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:46 pm

Thank you
Yules
Political mailings are legal solicitation and are exempt from "do not contact", it is depending on your party affiliation. Even if you have your name removed, the post office will still deliver to current resident.

I managed to escape solicitations when I had a mail box for ten years, but as soon as I gave that up, I was found included located on much of the privately own websites as Spokeo etc.

There is nothing you can do, sorry.
Thank you for the response. What you say makes sense, although I get mail from both parties, which is weird, since I obviously am not registered with both!

Have a great day and thanks again.
Yules
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Our mail carrier filters most of the junk for previous owners. They're long out of the window for free forwarding, but most of the stuff I see on informed delivery with their names never shows up anymore. When he's on vacation we do get their stuff.

I can imagine if he started to see a bunch of return to sender deceased letters we might stop getting real mail for us as well.

Don't do it.

Edit - I don't KNOW it's the mail carrier doing it, but it seems like someone is filtering their junk mail out of the system after we used to write return to sender on it (just the important looking items) a for a couple years.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Thank you
Yules
Don't tell people you are dead when you're really not. That's nothing to joke about these days.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Watty

Post by Watty »

For things like recurring catalogs, requests for donations, or other business mailings from a specific business I have had good luck with calling the 800 number in the mailing and asking to be taken off the mailing list. Usually when you call the number they use to place an order or make a donation they will pick up the phone right away so it only takes a minute or two.

When you call have the label in front of you since they may need to get a number off of it.

These are typically companies that I ordered something from and not just random mass mailings. With some of them I would get a mailing multiple of times a year so making the call was worthwhile. I suspect that some of them also sell your name on a mailing list so this seems to have also cut down my other junk mail.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Point of reference, I have a deceased relative for whom I forwarded all mail when she went into a home many years ago. She has been deceased for a while (more than a decade) and I still get junk mail with her name on it. I also still get junk mail for her husband who has been dead for more than 30 years and would be over 100 now. It never ends.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

yules wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:54 pm
Thank you for the response. What you say makes sense, although I get mail from both parties, which is weird, since I obviously am not registered with both!

Have a great day and thanks again.
Yules
From the statement above it appears you are on some political database without party affiliation, me thinks that is why you are getting solicitations from both.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

This was years ago so may no longer apply, but in the old days they would include postage-paid envelopes so you could send them a donation. When a family friend got onto the mailing list for his not-preferred political party and they refused to take him off, he started taping their postage-paid envelopes to bricks and mailing them back. It didn't take many bricks before he was off their list. :D
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

megabad wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:12 pm Point of reference, I have a deceased relative for whom I forwarded all mail when she went into a home many years ago. She has been deceased for a while (more than a decade) and I still get junk mail with her name on it. I also still get junk mail for her husband who has been dead for more than 30 years and would be over 100 now. It never ends.
I think we all want to live forever, isn't that a sort of immortality?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Dead is nothing when it comes to the mail. We still get something from AAA every two months or so welcoming my deceased mother in law back to AAA. She’s been gone almost 4 years, quit driving several years before that (and cancelled AAA), I’ve even written “Deceased” and mailed it back and they just....keep....coming. :annoyed
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I still receive mail for the prior homeowners who have both been deceased for quite some time. The wife died over a decade ago and the husband died over two decades ago. I bought the house from the wife's estate over a decade ago, so I was quite amused when some magazine company started a new subscription for the husband a couple of years ago. I figured they were just trying to pump up subscription numbers by reactivating old subscriptions.

So I don't think writing "return to sender - deceased" would be an effective technique for those who are still living and it could open up a whole other can of worms that should not be disturbed. Besides, if it is political ads that are specifically bothering you, they get that data from the voter registration information directly. It would definitely be a bad idea to mark them as "return to sender - deceased" for your still-living self if you want to vote without hassle.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

megabad wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:12 pm I also still get junk mail for her husband who has been dead for more than 30 years and would be over 100 now.
Just fill out a change of address form if you know where he is.
baliktad

Post by baliktad »

yules wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 pm I have the urge to write “return to sender—recipient deceased” so stop sending me mail and, hopefully, take me off the lists that they all share.

Returning mail to the sender is a benefit of first class mail. Ads, political flyers, catalogs, coupons, or other solicitations are sent via Standard class (formerly known as Bulk mail) to save on postage. Standard class mail is not returned to the sender unless it is endorsed at the original mailing with "Return Service Requested." Otherwise, if it makes its way back into the postal stream for any reason, the USPS simply discards it. Save yourself the trouble and just recycle it.

https://www.quora.com/When-I-mark-junk- ... rn-postage
DoTheMath wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:26 pm This was years ago so may no longer apply, but in the old days they would include postage-paid envelopes so you could send them a donation. When a family friend got onto the mailing list for his not-preferred political party and they refused to take him off, he started taping their postage-paid envelopes to bricks and mailing them back. It didn't take many bricks before he was off their list. :D
Another popular myth of the postal service. The USPS doesn't deliver obvious garbage attached to business reply mail, they just discard it. It makes for a satisfying "revenge" tale, but that's about it. Note the date on this article:

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/re ... -envelope/
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I guess you could return them in postage paid envelopes from other organizations you don't like.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

emoore wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:43 pmNo it won't have the intended effect. My father passed away a couple of years ago and there is still mail going to my mother's house, especially junk mail.
A couple years isn't enough for names to be dropped off databases. Try nearly 10 years and still coming. One of the worst ones is AARP, and you'd think they'd know someone nearly 100 year old and hasn't made contact since 90. At times, the junk mail seems to decrease, only to be hit by a large wave when one of the databases gets resold. The data keeps getting rehashed as long as some fools keep paying for them, and as long as even a few generate replies, while the rest of the data is just filler to make the database larger and seem move valuable.

I was getting all the senior target mail for a previous tenant who must have been 70 or 80 and that kept going for nearly 20 years, but finally seems to have dropped off. Sadly, some of the same target mail keeps coming, but they've cross-referenced it to my name, even though I don't think I fit that target demographic yet.

Like spam, it's best just to ignore it and eventually (sometimes very far away) it might go away. It's better than the alternative making contact only to confirm a working entry and refresh the name and address in all their databases for a longer eternity. And definitely don't help them link it up to your phone numbers or you'll be getting calls along with the junk mail.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

The best thing to do with unwanted mail is to drop it in your recycling bin.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

ClevrChico wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:50 am The best thing to do with unwanted mail is to drop it in your recycling bin.
Reminded me of what my father used to when the whole recycling thing started. He would pick up and bring home a bunch of flyers and free newspapers from the mall. He hardly ever read them but said he got them so he could help recycling.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I've been told that it costs more to have someone edit the database than it does to just keep sending the low cost junk mail.

I was POA for my mother and father. My mother died in 2016 after 9.5 years in a coma in a nursing home and I'm still getting mailings notifying her that she has qualified for free beauty school tuition. She was born in 1924.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. Throw them in the garbage rather than pretending to be dead. That will take less time than the alternative.

I don't know the exact rules but I highly doubt there is any mechanism for this class of mail to be returned to the sender whether you're dead or not.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

atikovi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:04 am
ClevrChico wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:50 am The best thing to do with unwanted mail is to drop it in your recycling bin.
Reminded me of what my father used to when the whole recycling thing started. He would pick up and bring home a bunch of flyers and free newspapers from the mall. He hardly ever read them but said he got them so he could help recycling.
Hah, that is great! My kind of guy!
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

yules wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:54 pm Thank you for the response. What you say makes sense, although I get mail from both parties, which is weird, since I obviously am not registered with both!
I'm not registered with any political party, but I still get junk mail from both of the major parties. I don't think there's anything you can do to stop it.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Watty

Post by Watty »

This thread reminded me of something.

I can't remember where I heard it and if it was for real or joke but I recall someone saying that there was some organization for a cause they absolutely despised.

They ended up making a $5 donation then laughed for years as they continually sent mail asking for more money. Over the years they figured that the organization had wasted many times that amount sending them mail.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

yules wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:54 pm What you say makes sense, although I get mail from both parties, which is weird, since I obviously am not registered with both!
If you register for a party, you get half the mail sent to you. If you register for a third party with lower budgets, you get a fraction of the mail sent to you.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

If you get a mailing with a postage paid return envelope; mail it back empty or with some of what they mailed you, let them throw their own junk away. Andy Rooney use to do that. Since I live where the mailbox is on the street, when I do that and put up the little red flag on the mailbox, it lets me know the mail has come without having to go out unnecessarily during inclement weather.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:37 pm
megabad wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:12 pm Point of reference, I have a deceased relative for whom I forwarded all mail when she went into a home many years ago. She has been deceased for a while (more than a decade) and I still get junk mail with her name on it. I also still get junk mail for her husband who has been dead for more than 30 years and would be over 100 now. It never ends.
Not unless the deceased can read it.
planetmike

Post by planetmike »

Look into filing a Form 1500, Application for Listing and/or Prohibitory Order - USPS, with the Post Office. Available at: https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1500.pdf

Basically, the addressee and addressee alone is allowed to deem any mailing to be "sexually suggestive." And then that mailer is not allowed to send you any other mail. Back in my younger days, I took great delight in filing this with the Post Office for each piece of junk mail I received. The volume of incoming junk mail slowed greatly.
user9532

Post by user9532 »

USPS is an institution that is slowly dying. They don't get any taxpayer funding. Their revenue comes from mailing. A significant portion of their revenue comes from junk mail, also called marketing mail. So try to support them. Don't stop the mail. You can always put it in the recycling bin.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I had some success with this organization:
http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumerassistance.html

I found that charities and catalogs that my mother had repeated $$ contact with weren't as easy to stop. I've actually written a couple of first-class letters to those companies.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

baliktad wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 pm
yules wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 pm I have the urge to write “return to sender—recipient deceased” so stop sending me mail and, hopefully, take me off the lists that they all share.

Returning mail to the sender is a benefit of first class mail. Ads, political flyers, catalogs, coupons, or other solicitations are sent via Standard class (formerly known as Bulk mail) to save on postage. Standard class mail is not returned to the sender unless it is endorsed at the original mailing with "Return Service Requested." Otherwise, if it makes its way back into the postal stream for any reason, the USPS simply discards it. Save yourself the trouble and just recycle it.

https://www.quora.com/When-I-mark-junk- ... rn-postage
DoTheMath wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:26 pm This was years ago so may no longer apply, but in the old days they would include postage-paid envelopes so you could send them a donation. When a family friend got onto the mailing list for his not-preferred political party and they refused to take him off, he started taping their postage-paid envelopes to bricks and mailing them back. It didn't take many bricks before he was off their list. :D
Another popular myth of the postal service. The USPS doesn't deliver obvious garbage attached to business reply mail, they just discard it. It makes for a satisfying "revenge" tale, but that's about it. Note the date on this article:

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/re ... -envelope/
Ah well. They claimed they did this in the 70's, but it sounds like it was nothing but a tall tale.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
Watty

Post by Watty »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:16 am
You could forward his mail to the address of the cemetery that he is buried in. You could even put his plot number in the address. :wink:
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

andypanda wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:09 am I've been told that it costs more to have someone edit the database than it does to just keep sending the low cost junk mail.

I was POA for my mother and father. My mother died in 2016 after 9.5 years in a coma in a nursing home and I'm still getting mailings notifying her that she has qualified for free beauty school tuition. She was born in 1924.
The database cost is charged PER NAME. If you delete a name, you're not only paying someone to edit the database (MORE COST), but you're getting LESS REVENUE from their actions.

Unintended consequences involving a 3rd party intermediary.

"Make it up on volume"

I'm still trying to understand this as well as the business model for Venmo/Zelle
Watty wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:48 am
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:16 am
You could forward his mail to the address of the cemetery that he is buried in. You could even put his plot number in the address. :wink:
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

“Everything ok here Postal Employee Newman?”

Post by 000 »

I would not represent myself as being dead.

Instead, I write "Refused" on envelopes of mail I don't want and put them back in the mailbox. To my knowledge, one can refuse any mail one does not want to receive.
beyou

Post by beyou »

If a postage paid envelope, cut up all junk sent into confetti and send it back to them at their cost.
You help the post office and make the offender using bad info pay.

If no post paid envelope, recycle.
Ron

Post by Ron »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:09 am
yules wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:54 pm What you say makes sense, although I get mail from both parties, which is weird, since I obviously am not registered with both!
If you register for a party, you get half the mail sent to you. If you register for a third party with lower budgets, you get a fraction of the mail sent to you.
I'm a registered Independent (actually, a Libertarian at heart), who receives mail from both major parties trolling for votes, especially in today's fragmented political reality.

Their mail goes into the paper recycling bin, which some of it returns as TP. Seems fair :mrgreen: ...

- Ron
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 pm
emoore wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:43 pmNo it won't have the intended effect. My father passed away a couple of years ago and there is still mail going to my mother's house, especially junk mail.
A couple years isn't enough for names to be dropped off databases. Try nearly 10 years and still coming. One of the worst ones is AARP, and you'd think they'd know someone nearly 100 year old and hasn't made contact since 90. At times, the junk mail seems to decrease, only to be hit by a large wave when one of the databases gets resold. The data keeps getting rehashed as long as some fools keep paying for them, and as long as even a few generate replies, while the rest of the data is just filler to make the database larger and seem move valuable.
My wife is somehow on AARP mailing list. I joke it's because she's an 'elder' millennial.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

BradJ wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Classic!
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

unclescrooge wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 am
BradJ wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Classic!
Oh man don’t get me going, this episode is full of classic lines.

“It’s my job, and I’m pretty darn serious about it.”
celia

Post by celia »

Junk mail is mailed at a discounted rate. Returning it to the post office won't do anything. They'll just trash it since it was already delivered and is no longer eligible for further services.

Candidates and proposition organizers are entitled to know who the registered voters are and can get the voters' addresses from the registrar of voters. In a general election, such as the November one, it doesn't matter what party you are if you are eligible to vote on the candidate or issues on the ballot. So all potential candidates and issues on your ballot are entitled to contact you and give you information for or against something in order to sway your vote as the mailing promotes. (Have you ever noticed you never get mailers from candidates for an office that is not on your ballot?)

As far as taking the name of a deceased person off of mailing lists, what I did was obtain a few dozen pre-stamped blank postcards from the post office. Then when I got a piece of (non-junk) mail for them, I addressed a post card to the sending organization and put their mailing label on the back (closer to the upper left corner so the post card wouldn't be delivered to my address, which happened once). I requested removal of the deceased's name from all mailing lists. I also kept a notepad and recorded the date and address I notified them. I figured once they received a piece of mail from me, someone had to do something with it, so the name and address was removed from the mailing list. I never received another piece of mail from those whom I listed as having been notified. This was about 10 years ago. I occasionally also do this to remove my own name, except I don't tell them my living/deceased status.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

crefwatch wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:51 am I had some success with this organization:
http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumerassistance.html

I found that charities and catalogs that my mother had repeated $$ contact with weren't as easy to stop. I've actually written a couple of first-class letters to those companies.
I used dma years ago and it has cut down on junk materially. I still get some but doesn't seem like as much.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

I have been receiving lots of unsolicited mailings lately. I do know why. I turn 65 in December and since June I have been receiving many "We'll teach you what you need to know about Medicare" envelopes from every insurance company in the country. I have not opened one of them, but I am saving them all. I will probably hold a how-many-medicare mailings contest on my birthday.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

atikovi wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 pm
megabad wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:12 pm I also still get junk mail for her husband who has been dead for more than 30 years and would be over 100 now.
Just fill out a change of address form if you know where he is.
are you implying

Mr. John Smith
1292 Broadleaf Cemetery Plot #12920
Ctiy, State, ZIP

? That is a great idea.

That is going in my "dead book" for my family, to tell USPS to update my address to my plot.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

planetmike wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:58 am Look into filing a Form 1500, Application for Listing and/or Prohibitory Order - USPS, with the Post Office. Available at: https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1500.pdf

Basically, the addressee and addressee alone is allowed to deem any mailing to be "sexually suggestive." And then that mailer is not allowed to send you any other mail. Back in my younger days, I took great delight in filing this with the Post Office for each piece of junk mail I received. The volume of incoming junk mail slowed greatly.
This has got to be one of the greatest ideas I've heard regarding the topic. So glad I read it!
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

mmcmonster wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:56 am
planetmike wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:58 am Look into filing a Form 1500, Application for Listing and/or Prohibitory Order - USPS, with the Post Office. Available at: https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1500.pdf

This has got to be one of the greatest ideas I've heard regarding the topic. So glad I read it!
Putting the junk in junk mail.