iPhone upgrade?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lazareth

iPhone upgrade?

Post by Lazareth »

Dear fellow Bogleheads,
My trusty compact iPhone 5s will soon be "unsupported" per Verizon Wireless so I must reluctantly upgrade. The cheapest iOS option on the VZW website is the iPhone 7 and $399 is the prepaid price. Cash flow wise I would likely consider the monthly payment option if I go with VZW.

For decades I have upgraded only through Verizon Wireless, and only when necessary. My question to you, what are pro's and con's of other upgrade options such as buying a used phone elsewhere as on eBay etc., or for buying a newer and more expensive model (than iPhone 7) from my current carrier, or should I consider switching carriers? What did you do? My wife likes her Android and would resist switching carriers (by that I mean that if the carrier transition did not go well, my life would be momentarily unpleasant).

I present this to the forum for the benefit of myself and others in the same situation.

As for the operating system debate, I have avoided Android phones because of my learning-curve anxiety... my iPhone helps manage my life and work... calendars, contacts, notes & reminders, email. It would all have to be re-entered. But I welcome compelling arguments on the subject.

Thank you for your attention and your thoughts and suggestions.
Last edited by Lazareth on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a/66, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment.
bloom2708

Re: iPhone upgrade?

Post by bloom2708 »

I would not go from a 5S to a 7. The 7 is nearly dead in the water. If you switch to a 7, you will be close to upgrade in a year or 2 max.

I would go to XS, XR or 11 or whatever the nicest/newest is that fits your budget. The new iPhone SE might be a good match as well.

https://swappa.com/buy/iphones

Buy "Mint" or "New". Match your carrier or buy "unlocked". Phones have to work on Swappa.

I always ask for the Battery Health. I want 100% or close to 100%.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

You can get a brand new iPhone SE (2020 version) for $399 base model. I wouldn't bother with a 7, when the prices are the same as the newer SE and the 7 will need to be upgraded sooner.

I have a 6, so I don't know what you should pick among the newer models. There have been other threads about iPhone options (try searching using Google..."iphone options :bogleheads.org").
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

The SE is visually identical to a 7, available new for $399, and vastly superior in hardware. Don't know what Verizon has today, but most of the big carriers had deals a month or two ago. Yeah, you tie yourself to the carrier for two years, but in our case the SE was free from T-mobile after bill credits.

An iPhone 7 for $399 today is outright robbery. You should be able to find a used one in great shape for $150.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I agree, 7 makes no sense when you can get better everything in the new SE at $400, and there are probably carrier-subsidized deals for less. If you want a bigger screen than that, then I'd wait for the iPhone 12 - there should be 3 different sizes coming this fall.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

I think it depends on what type of user you are, your preferred purchasing/investment approach, budget, etc.

5S is old. I have a 6 and facing the same decision. The new iPhone SE2 is a good value if you're looking for a new device and don't want/need the latest and greatest. It's gets you a fast CPU but without the more fancy features - good value. OTOH, if you like to buy the best and drive it into the ground (like you probably did with your iphone 5 assuming you purchased it new), you might want to wait until the iphone 12 is released in September since it will likely support 5G. Or OTOH, if you're just looking for the cheapest option, I would probably look for an X or higher used.

In all cases, I would buy an unlocked device.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (iPhone).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Livelife2fullest

Post by Livelife2fullest »

I’ve had luck purchasing an iPhone upgrade on FB
Marketplace for both DW and I. I stay away from those selling multiple phones or refurbished phones and gravitate towards those looking to sell their older iphone model because they just bought the newest model. Also look at seller ratings.

Some risk here, so may want to meet at an Apple store to have an associate verify that It’s unlocked, etc. That said, I recently upgraded from a 6s to an iPhone XS. Met the seller at a convenience store parking lot. Felt crazy, but it’s been a great buy and big improvement, particularly with the quality of camera.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

Lazareth wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am Dear fellow Bogleheads,
My trusty compact iPhone 5s will soon be "unsupported" per Verizon Wireless so I must reluctantly upgrade. The cheapest iOS option on the VZW website is the iPhone 7 and $399 is the prepaid price. Cash flow wise I would likely consider the monthly payment option if I go with VZW.

For decade I have upgraded only through Verizon Wireless, and only when necessary. My question to you, what are pro's and con's of other upgrade options such as buying a used phone elsewhere as on eBay etc., or for buying a newer and more expensive model (than iPhone 7) from my current carrier, or should I consider switching carriers? What did you do? My wife likes her Android and would resist switching carriers (by that I mean that if the carrier transition did not go well, my life would be momentarily unpleasant).

I present this to the forum for the benefit of myself and others in the same situation.

As for the operating system debate, I have avoided Android phones because of my learning-curve anxiety... my iPhone helps manage my life and work... calendars, contacts, notes & reminders, email. It would all have to be re-entered. But I welcome compelling arguments on the subject.

New iPhone SE is a budget option that is serving me well. I recommend T-Mobile. Got my phone for $150 with trade in.
VTSAX and chill
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Get the NEW iPhone SE. it’ll last you for years, and it’s bigger but otherwise should give you the same experience as your 5S, TouchID being the main thing. Doesn’t sound like you need the latest and greatest thing.

As far as purchasing options I’m not really sure. I’d think most stores are comparable on pricing right now.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Lazareth wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am My trusty compact iPhone 5s will soon be "unsupported" per Verizon Wireless so I must reluctantly upgrade.
There is nothing forcing you to upgrade and your phone won't stop working when it becomes unsupported. Eventually you might notice newer apps can't be used unless you have the latest IOS installed which you obviously can't do and at that time, you can decide whether that app is worth a new apple device or not.

We have an iPad2 which hasn't been supported for four and a half years that still works for what we use it for, internet browsing and email.
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

My iphone 6s gave up the ghost last week, And I’ve gotten the new iPhone SE. I’m very happy with it. I would recommend it
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The SE is $399, but if you’re still using a 5s, you’ll use an SE for six or seven years before Verizon stops supporting it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 pm There is nothing forcing you to upgrade and your phone won't stop working when it becomes unsupported. Eventually you might notice newer apps can't be used unless you have the latest IOS installed which you obviously can't do and at that time, you can decide whether that app is worth a new apple device or not.

We have an iPad2 which hasn't been supported for four and a half years that still works for what we use it for, internet browsing and email.
This is terrible advice. You should never use a smartphone or OS that is no longer supported. You open yourself up to myriad dangers as you will be vulnerable to an ever increasing number of cyber threats.

Smartphones are too important not to keep updated. Just buy a new iPhone SE direct from Apple unlocked. If you have any issues with it, Apple will be far better to deal with customer service wise than Verizon.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Alchemist wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:49 am
lthenderson wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 pm There is nothing forcing you to upgrade and your phone won't stop working when it becomes unsupported. Eventually you might notice newer apps can't be used unless you have the latest IOS installed which you obviously can't do and at that time, you can decide whether that app is worth a new apple device or not.

This is terrible advice. You should never use a smartphone or OS that is no longer supported. You open yourself up to myriad dangers as you will be vulnerable to an ever increasing number of cyber threats.
Hackers are going to hack the most popular phones because their chances of succeeding are much higher. In 2018, less than 3% of all cellphone users owned a iPhone 5. I'm guessing two years later it is a tiny fraction of that.
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

Lazareth wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am Dear fellow Bogleheads,

For decades I have upgraded only through Verizon Wireless, and only when necessary. My question to you, what are pro's and con's of other upgrade options such as buying a used phone elsewhere as on eBay etc., or for buying a newer and more expensive model (than iPhone 7) from my current carrier, or should I consider switching carriers? What did you do? My wife likes her Android and would resist switching carriers (by that I mean that if the carrier transition did not go well, my life would be momentarily unpleasant).

As many have said, the new SE would be a great budget choice, but I would wait until September, when the new phones are announced and their older models usually become a bit less expensive, and trade your old phone in directly with Apple (https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in) and buy the least expensive phone that had the newer format that began with the iPhone X. That might be the model 11. It’s pretty remarkable how much screen they have in a reasonably sized handset when you eliminate the bezels etc. Starting with the XS they are dual SIM too, which I have found super useful for travel.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

I use an XR and love it. Battery life was a huge upgrade over my old iPhones. Considering your current iPhone lasted you until Verizon stopped supporting it, I agree with others. You need to upgrade to a newer model, otherwise in 2 years you will be in the same position.
Coburn

Post by Coburn »

OP: Clarify what you mean by "the 5S will be unsupported " by Verizon. Assuming the battery is holding up, the phone should be still be usable even if iOS support has ended.

Lazareth: If your belief is that you should never use a smartphone beyond its OS being supported...what do you say to the millions of people that use Android? Vendor support for Android is notoriously short. Samsung and Google, the two leading vendors (excluding Chinese brands)...are still lagging Apple in terms of OS support.

I'm also with Verizon and even though my 6s will be supported with the fall ios14...I am still on ios12. The picture-in-pictuce mode promised with ios14 may induce me to upgrade the OS, but no plans to buy a new phone in 2021 when ios15 drops the 6s.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

+1 on the new SE, IMHO, Apple is trying to entice people with a cheap phone with the intent of selling subscription services.
John Z

Post by John Z »

I bought an ATT iphone se 2020 64GB (to replace my 5c) through Walmart website a couple of months ago for $199 at 6.63 per month for 30 months, no interest. The original sale announced in April was due to run until Jul 17th but I just went to the Walmart link and found, apparently, that you might still be able to get it today:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Appl ... ected=true

We know companies don't always update their websites in a timely manner but go ahead and plug in your phone number and it will tell you whether you can upgrade. You can choose another color: black or red.

Purchasing through the website was very easy as was loading the new phone with old phone info backed up from the Apple icloud.
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:17 am Hackers are going to hack the most popular phones because their chances of succeeding are much higher. In 2018, less than 3% of all cellphone users owned a iPhone 5. I'm guessing two years later it is a tiny fraction of that.
I don't agree with this thought process. It is like saying I am going to keep using my Windows 7 because hackers are going after Windows 10. Meanwhile Windows 7 remains very vulnerable because it is not receiving any updates. Hackers go after vulnerabilities period.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Coburn wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 am OP: Clarify what you mean by "the 5S will be unsupported " by Verizon. Assuming the battery is holding up, the phone should be still be usable even if iOS support has ended.
The 5S doesn't support Voice over LTE, so for phone calls it has to use the 3G CGMA network. That network is being phased out now by Verizon, so the 5S will in the not too distant future no longer work on Verizon, at least for voice calls (and I'm guessing "green" SMS texts, i.e. those not delivered via iMessage).

As far as iOS updates, although the 5S and 6 did not get updated to iOS 13, they are still getting security/maintenance updates in iOS 12.x, looks like the latest one came out just a few days ago.
Coburn

Post by Coburn »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:50 am
Coburn wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 am OP: Clarify what you mean by "the 5S will be unsupported " by Verizon. Assuming the battery is holding up, the phone should be still be usable even if iOS support has ended.
The 5S doesn't support Voice over LTE, so for phone calls it has to use the 3G CGMA network. That network is being phased out now by Verizon, so the 5S will in the not too distant future no longer work on Verizon, at least for voice calls (and I'm guessing "green" SMS texts, i.e. those not delivered via iMessage).

As far as iOS updates, although the 5S and 6 did not get updated to iOS 13, they are still getting security/maintenance updates in iOS 12.x, looks like the latest one came out just a few days ago.
Hmmm...I wonder if my Motorola flip-phone, which I owned for many years prior to my 6s purchase, will be equally dropped (or dropped already) from working as well?!

I'm a little surprised that Verizon took the time to alert the OP that his phone will be unable to operate soon.

Thanks for the note.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Coburn wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if my Motorola flip-phone, which I owned for many years prior to my 6s purchase, will be equally dropped (or dropped already) from working as well?!

I'm a little surprised that Verizon took the time to alert the OP that his phone will be unable to operate soon.

Thanks for the note.
At the end of this year, 3G-only devices will stop working: https://www.phonearena.com/news/when-wi ... G_id125233

(Sorry earlier post should say CDMA not CGMA.)
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Thanks for the note.
My mother, who has an old flip phone, received a similar message from ATT yesterday. Said the phone would not be compatible with the new network and would need to be replaced by 2021 to continue receiving service.
Coburn

Post by Coburn »

Random Poster wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Thanks for the note.
My mother, who has an old flip phone, received a similar message from ATT yesterday. Said the phone would not be compatible with the new network and would need to be replaced by 2021 to continue receiving service.
And who says good customer service isn't around today?! :wink:

I guess we're all too acclimated to hearing about poor customer service.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

One of the issues, if not the main issue is VoLTE. Verizon is dropping 3G, but the iPhone 5s doesn't support next gen, even though the hardware is supposedly capable. Unclear whether there are other technical issues or it's a business decision.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7270316

I think the iPhone 7 is a great option, even though there's potential EOL. Even the iPhone SE (original) is another good cheap option, depending on your needs.

Verizon stopped activating these phones a year ago, and the towers will begin shutting off in 2021, but I don't think it will all fall apart on January 1. I figure it will take them 6 month to a year to wind down, so I'm expecting about another year of usable service on these ancient devices. In the meantime, I wouldn't worry much and wait till they release the iPhone 12 in October and pick up one of the phones people are trading in (i.e. selling on eBay or Craigslist -- or better yet, ask around your friends who are frequent upgraders) for cheap.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

You should upgrade to the most recent iPhone as soon as it is released in the next few months. Then you can keep it for the next five to seven years. If you buy any existing model, you'll have to be upgrading again before you know it.

I will practice what I preach. I currently have an iPhone 6, and it is stuck using an old operating system. I'll be buying the newest iPhone this fall.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

5S was an ok phone back in the day but it is terrible by today's standards. The screen is so small that is almost unusable or is destroying your eyes, is missing Apple pay, wireless charging, print/face recognition, maybe even car play, which are main things I use in a phone.
I would replace it with an SE (which is similar with with iPhone 8) or, if possible, wait for the new release.
I find strange that somebody pays verizon prices which are not small and add up to reasonable large amount of money over the years but wants to buy a cheap phone. It's one of those things where you pay 10-20% more and get a vastly superior experience.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Lazareth wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 amAs for the operating system debate, I have avoided Android phones because of my learning-curve anxiety... my iPhone helps manage my life and work... calendars, contacts, notes & reminders, email. It would all have to be re-entered. But I welcome compelling arguments on the subject.

It's a whole new world out there. You probably haven't upgraded a phone for over a decade, and you're probably well versed in tap code. Anyway, switching either way isn't the ordeal it used to be.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196

https://support.google.com/android/answ ... 19630&rd=1
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/7070690

It's been a few years (before they split off iTunes into separate functions and programs), but last time I did a backup/restore from a 5s to SE (using Windows version no less), it was virtually transparent. I might have had to log into iTunes/Messages/Facetime and aside from having more storage and a little faster response, it was nearly imperceptible, in a good way.

222 2 555 555 0 0 6 33 0 0 444 7777 44 6 2 33 555
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Buy an SE2. Great phone for a great price.
Topic Author
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

I am the original poster and I want to say thank-you to those taking the time to share your experience, your the helpful comments. This is very useful information.
a/66, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

I would say 95% of users do not need the newest phone or newest hardware..but many people convince themselves that they do. :D
beyou

Post by beyou »

MIL just signed up for AT&T prepaid (to avoid credit check with frozen credit reports).
They sold her a new iphone 7 for $200 and she pays $30/mo for unlimited voice/text but a fixed amount of data.
She barely uses data so no biggie.

I upgraded by 6 to SE and paid $400, great phone.
I setup both and they are comparable, if the $200 is meaningful to you nothing wrong with the 7.
I wouldn't buy used.

The only real issue was porting her old phone number to AT&T was torture. AT&T customer service for that is TERRIBLE.
There is no way to get it accomplished if you follow their instructions.
In the end I got a different number to call from REDDIT than what they give you for help, and had to keep hitting 0# 0# 0# over and over
to get past the "we must get your AT&T number first" messages (new customer she didn't have one yet and couldn't speak to a person to get it setup).
Eventually my ignoring the menus allowed me to talk to a person who fixed the problem, but took a week of regular calls until getting someone to help. Just get a new phone number if you switch carriers unless you have time on your hands.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I have an old iPhone 6 and just purchased an iPhone SE with 128 GB which will arrive in a couple days. I like that it is very close to the same (small) size as the 6 but with upgraded technology. Cnet gave it a good review, especially for the price point.

Even though the 6 has been doing ok, I read that Apple will no longer update the operating system on those older phones. Plus I can use a wireless charger for the SE so I think this was a good time to upgrade in my situation. YMMV. :beer

PS - if you want to consider switching from Verizon, Xfinity Mobile (which uses the Verizon network) has a $200 rebate on many iPhone models right now if you pay over 24 months.
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:17 am Hackers are going to hack the most popular phones because their chances of succeeding are much higher. In 2018, less than 3% of all cellphone users owned a iPhone 5. I'm guessing two years later it is a tiny fraction of that.
This is not how cyber security works. It is in fact, the complete opposite.

If you use an old operating system or unpatched version of software, then hackers already are able to compromise it without doing *any* work. Just pull a well known hack off the shelf and mass deploy it to infect anyone foolish enough to still be using outdated software. This is exactly how Equifax was hacked and how several cities in the U.S. had their computer networks infected with ransomware. They didn't update their software and a publicly known flaw was easily exploited.

Finding attack vectors on brand new software is very difficult. You have to start from scratch to find a way to compromise it and companies like Apple and Microsoft are constantly pushing out new updates to close attack vectors as quickly as they possibly can. It is a constant arms race between security professionals and hackers.

Using outdated software makes you an easy target. No development is necessary to target an old version of iOS, or Android, or Windows, or even Linux. Hacks already exist and are widely known.

You also seem to misunderstand the relationship between iPhone's and iOS. All iPhone's run the same operating system, iOS. While 3% of smartphones might be iPhone 5's a far larger number will be running the same OS. Hackers need not target iPhone 5's specifically, any vulnerability in the old iOS will work across any device (including newer ones that did not receive the update) running that version.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:58 pm MIL just signed up for AT&T prepaid (to avoid credit check with frozen credit reports).
They sold her a new iphone 7 for $200 and she pays $30/mo for unlimited voice/text but a fixed amount of data.
She barely uses data so no biggie.

I upgraded by 6 to SE and paid $400, great phone.
I setup both and they are comparable, if the $200 is meaningful to you nothing wrong with the 7.
I wouldn't buy used.

The only real issue was porting her old phone number to AT&T was torture. AT&T customer service for that is TERRIBLE.
There is no way to get it accomplished if you follow their instructions.
In the end I got a different number to call from REDDIT than what they give you for help, and had to keep hitting 0# 0# 0# over and over
to get past the "we must get your AT&T number first" messages (new customer she didn't have one yet and couldn't speak to a person to get it setup).
Eventually my ignoring the menus allowed me to talk to a person who fixed the problem, but took a week of regular calls until getting someone to help. Just get a new phone number if you switch carriers unless you have time on your hands.
This is probably too far off from what OP is looking for, but iPhone SE starts at $399 (Unlocked, Activate LATER).
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipho ... Id=6389069

For those that are OK with prepaid, Mint Mobile (t-mobile MVNO) is $30/month including the phone ($15 regular service if paid 12 months in advance, so $15/month additional for the iPhone SE for 24 months). BUT the phone is LOCKED. Total $360 in installments, so it's up to you if the financing and $40 savings is worth dealing with a locked phone. Or buy phone and service separately for not much more and not tie yourself down.

All 3 options are reasonable and I use them as point of comparison. Will be looking at the iPhone 12 deals that come around and see if the differences are worth whatever additional costs.