24 Hour Drive Time w/ Two Young Kids: What Kind of Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Re: 24 Hour Drive Time w/ Two Young Kids: What Kind of Car

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

niceguy7376 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am 12 hours in sedan style seating is strain with young kids.
I would prefer any size SUV or minivan for height.

As for the minute details - it would not matter if there are bucket seats or bench (normal in rental vehicles and in suvs)
agreed!

one kid in the 2nd row and one in the 3rd!
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Honda Odyssey, Touring model with DVD player. Gas mileage about 26, smooth riding, plenty of room for the things needed.

Tim
alexp

Post by alexp »

Minivan without any doubt! I don't think that there is Entertainment system in rented minivans - so, you might have to arrange your own for 4 yr old. The 1yr old might not be interested in watching videos so you or spouse will have to entertain :D

Would also recommend planning the drive at a time when kids are expected to nap. It will be easier. All the best!
LeviMama

Post by LeviMama »

I'm on team "rent the largest and comfiest vehicle" you both are comfortable piloting. Family of 3 - one forward facing harnessed child. We've done 8 hour trips in our RX and arrived frazzled, just a little too tightly packed, my kid's feet grazing that center console... Ugh. Recently drove 20 hours from TX to our FL vacation place and returned a month later. Rented an Infiniti QX80 on way out and then Armada on way back. My back and bum felt like I'd driven to the mall, it was such a smooth drive. We packed afternoon before, and left at 3am each time to get prime mileage in before kid woke back up.

One thing - DH always says it but I really discounted how much people respect larger vehicles on the open road. We felt like we experienced a lot less dumb driving, cutting off, etc in a very large vehicle. Rented through Costco Travel, as always. One-way rental ran us $380 outbound and $110 coming back (non airport location pickup in FL = much cheaper. Lesson learnt, next time will focus on the non-airport locations). Gas was cheap so bigger car wasn't an issue except for needing earlier stop, and you'll be stopping anyways with kids. A mini van could work too, but since we only have the one and he can climb in and out, the SUV suited us just fine. No desire to own anything that large in real life, but would totally rent one again for such a long drive. That trip usually takes us 7 hours door to door including the flight, airport shuffles etc.

Take lots of small (safe) toys and novelty items, travel bingo, wiki stix, snacks, pillow, stuffie, a light blanket for each, etc. I wouldn't overload on electronics - small doses interspersed with other things - too much and they glaze over and then get SUPER cranky. But practice and take Bluetooth headphones for the older kiddo's tablet so they can enjoy a downloaded show or app without disrupting the baby. I held the water bottle, and only passed it when he asked to manage fluid intake. Let everyone do mini laps and calisthenics in a safe and socially distant grassy area at the rest stops. Get that blood flowing! We packed food so rest stops were bathroom only in and out, with masks and we looked for large ones with sliding doors, easy access to bathroom. Road trip was better than we expected, great family bonding time - lots of jokes told, songs sang and new pretend bad words for the kiddo to yell at passing vehicles in made up silly games. Even got a few truck drivers to honk at us!
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

Probably less focus on the type of car, more on keeping them busy.

Tablets with ability to stream what they typically watch - one for each so no fighting, kids earphones that fit over ears, a power converter or something to ensure they keep charged while being used.

Plenty of snacks you can hand them. Perhaps some type of tray for the snacks. Color books or other simple drawing items if they like to do that.

Not sure how yours typically travel, but we have taken mine on a similar drive 2x per year to visit family since they were really little. And they do not sleep a bit in the car. During the entire drive you hardly know they’re there - keeping them entertained with something is the key.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

Definitely minivan. 1 y-o rear facing in 2nd row bucket seat. Other kid in 3rd row. Other captain seat for parent. OR fold down the 3rd row and each family member in their own bucket seat, and have an unfolded jogging stroller in the way-back with your pack and play and other kid gear. I used to drive overnight, but now I’m on team “leave at 3:30am”. Figure you’ll arrive at grandmother’s house just in time for dinner, then a solid night of sleep and you’re good to go the next day. Drive through the night and you’ll spend multiple days recovering. Or at least I will. YMMV.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I’ve done both SUV and minivan on such a trip. You can do both, but minivan is more comfortable and has more cargo space. And I would prefer a truck, but the minivan is frankly better.

Before I'm attacked for taking such a trip, flying would have taken just as long and included at least 4 hours in the car anyway. It was to see family pre-Covid.

Now with Covid, I’d just get divorced so I wouldn’t have to take the trip and no one would question it. :wink:

JT
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

We just finished a 1400 mile trip with the Mrs. and 2 kids, 3.5 and 1.5. We did it in an Odyssey. No one died. Next time we go, I'll be renting a small pickup truck for the Mrs. and I and the kids will be behind us in a modest, yet comfortable livestock trailer.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

6bquick wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:05 am We just finished a 1400 mile trip with the Mrs. and 2 kids, 3.5 and 1.5. We did it in an Odyssey. No one died. Next time we go, I'll be renting a small pickup truck for the Mrs. and I and the kids will be behind us in a modest, yet comfortable livestock trailer.
Isn't there some law that says no passengers my be in towed vehicle while it's moving?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Bobby206 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:06 pm Rent mini van.

Way cheaper than putting miles on your car.
Although (as someone who does this exact same thing regularly) I don't understand the necessity for more space than OP's accord offers, at least it makes sense. How exactly is renting a larger, less efficient vehicle, "cheaper" financially than taking their own car? If this is the case, why would own a car at all?
Last edited by stoptothink on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:05 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:41 pm
alfaspider wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:21 pm
rgs92 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:13 pm
300 or so miles is about my max for a day I have found.
300 Miles seems ridiculously short if you are on U.S. interstates. That's only about 4 hours of actual driving. I've done 1,000 as a single driver, but I'd say that's about my limit so as to avoid encroaching on sleep time. With kids, more like 8 hours of drive time is probably the limit of what is fun, but it will depend on the kids and ages. For what it's worth, we are departing Saturday for a trip of about 1200 miles with kids 1 and 3. The plan is 800 miles on day 1, though we have bail-out contingencies if the distance is too much. It's 12 hours drive time with a 1 time zone change. Plan is to leave at 5:00 am before the kids wake up, so we have a few hours of drive time before their normal wake-up. In theory, we'd get to the first day destination around dinner time. Will be bringing lots of snacks and toys. Day 2 will only be 4-5 more hours of drive time, but gives us leeway if we don't make it the full distance day 1.

As for the vehicle, your Accord should be fine unless you are bringing unusually large objects along. I don't know where people get the idea that you need an enormous SUV for everything.
I've done 1k+ miles in a single day multiples times alone. In fact, I did Houston to Salt Lake City (~1450 miles) three separate times in one ~23hr shot (no, I don't recommend it). With kids, we (at least twice a year) have made the ~650 miles trek to visit family in California (in compact cars) since my kids were infants; never even crossed our minds to break that up into multiple days. Always interesting to read the differences in comfort levels. The "need" for enormous cars is a uniquely American phenomenon.
Enormous cars are a convenience and comfort for most people on long trips. I used to drive somewhat farther, but last fall I drove 500 miles in one day. I was okay up to about 300 miles, but after 500 miles I suddenly found myself in so much pain I was almost unable to walk. I was only about 50% better the next morning. I was driving a smaller car that I hadn't driven anywhere near that far per-day in 4 years. I do wonder if I'd had a larger car with more comfortable seating position. But I still wouldn't drive very far in one day now, and when I (rarely now) drive at night I always drive slower to make up for limited visibility.
I simply don't see the correlation between car size and seat comfort. I've been in small cars with very comfortable seats and vise versa. I suppose if you are 6 foot 10, then you need something you will fit in. But for average sized people, I'm sort of scratching my head on this one.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:59 am
rgs92 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:13 pm
300 or so miles is about my max for a day I have found.
300 Miles seems ridiculously short if you are on U.S. interstates. That's only about 4 hours of actual driving. I've done 1,000 as a single driver, but I'd say that's about my limit so as to avoid encroaching on sleep time. With kids, more like 8 hours of drive time is probably the limit of what is fun, but it will depend on the kids and ages. For what it's worth, we are departing Saturday for a trip of about 1200 miles with kids 1 and 3. The plan is 800 miles on day 1, though we have bail-out contingencies if the distance is too much. It's 12 hours drive time with a 1 time zone change. Plan is to leave at 5:00 am before the kids wake up, so we have a few hours of drive time before their normal wake-up. In theory, we'd get to the first day destination around dinner time. Will be bringing lots of snacks and toys. Day 2 will only be 4-5 more hours of drive time, but gives us leeway if we don't make it the full distance day 1.

As for the vehicle, your Accord should be fine unless you are bringing unusually large objects along. I don't know where people get the idea that you need an enormous SUV for everything.
I've done 1k+ miles in a single day multiples times alone. In fact, I did Houston to Salt Lake City (~1450 miles) three separate times in one ~23hr shot (no, I don't recommend it). With kids, we (at least twice a year) have made the ~650 miles trek to visit family in California (in compact cars) since my kids were infants; never even crossed our minds to break that up into multiple days. Always interesting to read the differences in comfort levels. The "need" for enormous cars is a uniquely American phenomenon.
Enormous cars are a convenience and comfort for most people on long trips. I used to drive somewhat farther, but last fall I drove 500 miles in one day. I was okay up to about 300 miles, but after 500 miles I suddenly found myself in so much pain I was almost unable to walk. I was only about 50% better the next morning. I was driving a smaller car that I hadn't driven anywhere near that far per-day in 4 years. I do wonder if I'd had a larger car with more comfortable seating position. But I still wouldn't drive very far in one day now, and when I (rarely now) drive at night I always drive slower to make up for limited visibility.
I simply don't see the correlation between car size and seat comfort. I've been in small cars with very comfortable seats and vise versa. I suppose if you are 6 foot 10, then you need something you will fit in. But for average sized people, I'm sort of scratching my head on this one.
Yes, enormous is still a convenience for getting cargo in and out of, and bringing more things with you, but I should have said by smaller I meant smaller accommodations inside while driving. I am less comfortable in my smaller car than in my larger one, due mostly to the angle of the seat. The larger car allows a seating position with a less severe leg angle, and more varied seating position adjustments, so it's possible to vary them during the day. I'm only slightly taller-than-average but have since learned with the smaller car that I need to add 4-6 inches of padding on the seat to increase comfort. Managing the 4-6 inches of padding (keeping it from shifting around, etc.) however can be problematic. I have owned similar-sized smaller cars in the past that might have been more comfortable - or maybe I was just younger then. There are some enormous vehicles that aren't comfortable, for sure.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:10 am

Yes, enormous is still a convenience for getting cargo in and out of, but I should have said by smaller I meant smaller accommodations inside while driving. I am less comfortable in my smaller car than in my larger one, due mostly to the angle of the seat. The larger car allows a seating position with a less severe leg angle, and more varied seating position adjustments, so it's possible to vary them during the day. I'm only slightly taller-than-average but have since learned with the smaller car that I need to add 4-6 inches of padding on the seat to increase comfort. Managing the 4-6 inches of padding (keeping it from shifting around, etc.) however can be problematic.
Wait, you add 4'-6' of padding to seats when you drive; is that normal? I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, if I put the seat back all the way in my compact car I can't even reach the pedals, but there is still plenty of room for either of my kids sitting behind me.
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

Another vote for minivan with overnight driving. If not the whole night, you could at least drive a big chunk of it either early or late depending on your preference. I did this recently and it was way better than 12 hrs in a car with a 3 and 4 year old. We learned that you have to block out the passenger windows so they don't get headlights in their face overnight.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

kimura king wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:38 pm Rent a minivan or suv. I don't want the miles on my car. I just rented a Ford Expedition for a 10 hour drive for a family vacation (rented a cabin in TN). Paid $610 and it was worth every penny. Stop at fun spots and let the kids play a little.
I vote for renting an SUV. As far as minivan is concern: I have only rented Dodge Caravan. My opinion: Driving a Dodge Caravan is not as comfortable as driving a Ford Explorer. I can imagine the Ford Expedition is a lot better.
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

When my kids were that age, we were driving between North Carolina and NE Ohio quite often. I owned a mini-van. At that time, it was a Dodge and I could move the full bench up to the middle row. I used the entire back (i.e. no third row seating on these trips) for transporting our goods on vacation trips. My wife would sit between the two car seats when needed (as stated - feeding, some entertainment, lots of reading). The grand Caravan was perfect for us.

Depending on how much you need to transport, be aware of the difference between SUVs and mini-vans. I took a mini-van on vacation from Ohio to NC and had the mini-van burn up while down there. My insurance allowed me to rent and the company only had SUVs. I could NOT fit everything in the back as I did in the van. I ended up shipping some boxes home.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:15 am
tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:10 am

Yes, enormous is still a convenience for getting cargo in and out of, but I should have said by smaller I meant smaller accommodations inside while driving. I am less comfortable in my smaller car than in my larger one, due mostly to the angle of the seat. The larger car allows a seating position with a less severe leg angle, and more varied seating position adjustments, so it's possible to vary them during the day. I'm only slightly taller-than-average but have since learned with the smaller car that I need to add 4-6 inches of padding on the seat to increase comfort. Managing the 4-6 inches of padding (keeping it from shifting around, etc.) however can be problematic.
Wait, you add 4'-6' of padding to seats when you drive; is that normal? I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, if I put the seat back all the way in my compact car I can't even reach the pedals, but there is still plenty of room for either of my kids sitting behind me.
It's 4-6 inches before I sit on it. I can't measure but I'll guess more like 2-3 inches net? If I could find firmer padding, that would be better - any suggestions?
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:54 am

Although (as someone who does this exact same thing regularly) I don't understand the necessity for more space than OP's accord offers, at least it makes sense. How exactly is renting a larger, less efficient vehicle, "cheaper" financially than taking their own car? If this is the case, why would own a car at all?
The wear and tear on one's car is so significant on long drives.

Mini-vans are nice and spacious. A few dollars of cheap gasoline and a rental car fee are nothing compared to the avoided wear and tear.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

I rented a Chrysler Pacifica last week when my car was being worked on.

Super comfortable and quiet. I think the rental model usually has the captain's chairs that fold into the floor, you'd have to check that. Downside of captain's chairs, of course, is that you can't sit between the children, but I suppose you could have the older one in the third row sometimes, and sit next to the one year old in the captain's chairs. I'd rent a car partly for the entertainment of being in a big, novel vehicle.

A note on the overnight driving suggestions: We'll sometimes (pre and post-covid) head out in the evening and drive maybe 4 hours, stay in a hotel and finish the next day, but can't personally drive through the night safely. What works for us if we're doing a super-long one day drive is the very early (like 4am) start.
Last edited by robphoto on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Bobby206 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:01 am

Mini-vans are nice and spacious. A few dollars of cheap gasoline and a rental car fee are nothing compared to the avoided wear and tear.
ICE vehicles (especially) thrive on long stretches of uninterrupted driving; it is significantly easier on the drivetrain, brakes, suspension, and tires than normal day-to-day driving - hence why the term "highway miles" exists. I am confused why anybody would ever own a car if what you say is correct.
FiscallyResponsible

Post by FiscallyResponsible »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am
FiscallyResponsible wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:45 am Leave around 7pm. This is key.
If I started driving at 7pm, I'd be dead by 11pm from hitting a bridge abutment. No more Covid-19 worries for me! Seriously this is something I'd have to work myself up to for weeks in advance. Plus I drive slower in the dark so that would at least partially cancel out the traffic time savings.
Safety first. I wouldn't recommend without a second driver (wife for me). As bad as traffic is in certain cities (and frankly all of Florida), time savings were significant. It's nice to be able to leave it on cruise control and without the kids driving you nuts!
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

FiscallyResponsible wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:53 am
tibbitts wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am
FiscallyResponsible wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:45 am Leave around 7pm. This is key.
If I started driving at 7pm, I'd be dead by 11pm from hitting a bridge abutment. No more Covid-19 worries for me! Seriously this is something I'd have to work myself up to for weeks in advance. Plus I drive slower in the dark so that would at least partially cancel out the traffic time savings.
Safety first. I wouldn't recommend without a second driver (wife for me). As bad as traffic is in certain cities (and frankly all of Florida), time savings were significant. It's nice to be able to leave it on cruise control and without the kids driving you nuts!
I wouldn't underestimate the impact of sleep deprivation on driving safety. Drivers that have been awake for 24 hours test similarly to drivers well over the legal alcohol limit. Even if a passenger is there to keep you awake, that doesn't mean your reflexes will be good. Unless you normally work a night shift and are acclimated to late night driving, I wouldn't try to do an overnight drive with kids. Plus, I'd personally be miserable the next day running around after kids on no sleep.
NxNW

Post by NxNW »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:56 pm
Lalamimi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm Don't make the wife sit in back the whole time.
It's always amusing to read assumptions like this. My wife wouldn't allow me to drive, so if anybody would be sitting in back, it would be me.
Me, too.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

tdmp wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:42 am
kimura king wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:38 pm Rent a minivan or suv. I don't want the miles on my car. I just rented a Ford Expedition for a 10 hour drive for a family vacation (rented a cabin in TN). Paid $610 and it was worth every penny. Stop at fun spots and let the kids play a little.
I vote for renting an SUV. As far as minivan is concern: I have only rented Dodge Caravan. My opinion: Driving a Dodge Caravan is not as comfortable as driving a Ford Explorer. I can imagine the Ford Expedition is a lot better.
It was awesome. I asked for a Chevy Suburban but they only had the Expedition available. After the 10 hour drive I popped the hood to see what engine it had, it was the twin turbo 3.5L (Ford calls it ecoboost). Felt like a strong V8, very impressive engine and gas mileage seemed decent.

I will admit, driving on some of those hilly and skinny TN roads next to a 200ft drop was kinda scary in that huge SUV though.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

wilshuer wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 am Probably less focus on the type of car, more on keeping them busy.

Tablets with ability to stream what they typically watch - one for each so no fighting, kids earphones that fit over ears, a power converter or something to ensure they keep charged while being used.

Plenty of snacks you can hand them. Perhaps some type of tray for the snacks. Color books or other simple drawing items if they like to do that.
+1000

I've done probably a dozen 12 hr trips with my kids and probably a half dozen closer to 18 hours straight through. Besides the two suggestions above, we essentially put a box between them full of their favorite electronics, toys, books, etc so they are busy or asleep. Been doing this since they were babies to teenagers.

We also let them stay up as long as they want the night before and leave as early as I can get up in the morning. That way we can generally get the first four or five hours of the trip with them asleep.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Lalamimi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm Don't make the wife sit in back the whole time.
It's always amusing to read assumptions like this. My wife wouldn't allow me to drive, so if anybody would be sitting in back, it would be me.
Heh, me too... My wife always wants to drive.

I let her... Lets me read and take naps.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Up to you, but all of those options should be workable. We did a 21 hour trip when the kids were 1 and 4 in a CR-V, and the same trip with just 1 kid in a Honda Fit. They're in car seats so more room in the actual car doesn't mean anything. Highway miles are pretty easy on the car so if your Accord is reliable just go with that.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:21 am Driving 12 hours each way round trip (so 24 hours total drive time) with a one year old and a 4-year-old. Cost of renting a car pretty much negligible luckily for us. Of the three options what do you recommend:

1) Honda Accord (we own this)
2) Rent larger sedan, SUV, or minivan (with three seat second row) - one parent seated in between the kids for segments of the drive
3) Rent 2 x 2 x 3 minivan with captain's chairs - with then two sub-options
a) both kids in 3rd row
b) one kid in one of the captain's chairs, assuming this can be done safely / legally

Any input welcome!
I would just get the safest car. It is a long drive and it’s much less safe than flying.
rivendell

Post by rivendell »

After having done similar trips with 3 kids under age 8 I would rent a minivan for more flexibility and cargo room. If it has second row captain chairs the non-driving parent can reach the third row more easily. The most important item in any car may be the DVD player for the 4 year old and any other items that child finds entertaining. Also I would be sure to bring a cooler with snacks and lunch for all. I doubt this will be a fun trip with a one year old but YMMV. :D
Possibly the best Idea would be to postpone this trip until there is less virus activity but if not then bring all needed sanitizing supplies too.
Safety first so better not to drive all night for many reasons.
“On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.” | ― Chuck Palahniuk
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

kimura king wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:54 pm
tdmp wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:42 am
It was awesome. I asked for a Chevy Suburban but they only had the Expedition available. After the 10 hour drive I popped the hood to see what engine it had, it was the twin turbo 3.5L (Ford calls it ecoboost). Felt like a strong V8, very impressive engine and gas mileage seemed decent.

I will admit, driving on some of those hilly and skinny TN roads next to a 200ft drop was kinda scary in that huge SUV though.
I didn't realize until I started some preliminary vehicle shopping recently, but the 3.5L is a horrible engine design and only suitable for renting, not purchase, unless you're a pretty hard-core d-i-y person. At least my understanding is that the water pump on this engine is an internal cam-driven design, which would certainly disqualify it for consideration from a Boglehead standpoint.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

Ttibbitts, I have heard the top car guy on youtube, Scotty Kilmer, pretty much back that. I know he says avoid turbocharged cars for longevity. The 5.0L Ford is supposed to last longer. I have driven a friend's 2014 F150 with the 5.0. I would rather have that for my own personal car, but I will say the 3.5L ecoboost has a lot of power.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

kimura king wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:49 pm Ttibbitts, I have heard the top car guy on youtube, Scotty Kilmer, pretty much back that. I know he says avoid turbocharged cars for longevity. The 5.0L Ford is supposed to last longer. I have driven a friend's 2014 F150 with the 5.0. I would rather have that for my own personal car, but I will say the 3.5L ecoboost has a lot of power.
It seems like there's a trend lately for manufacturers to make design decisions that significantly reduce vehicle durability, for seemingly no reason. Unfortunately the Expedition is not available with the 5.0 far as I know. They make the 5.0, 6.2 and 7.3 that don't think have this issue. The 7.3 is a new design I'm not very familiar with but seems to be simpler in some respects (back to a traditional pushrod design, for example.)

Edit: in another thread we've been discussing this and it seems that some 3.5L Ecoboost have this issue and others don't, but I'd still stick to the 5.0 due to the complexity of the 3.5L.
Last edited by tibbitts on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Blue456 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:25 am
DarkHelmetII wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:21 am Driving 12 hours each way round trip (so 24 hours total drive time) with a one year old and a 4-year-old. Cost of renting a car pretty much negligible luckily for us. Of the three options what do you recommend:

2) Rent larger sedan, SUV, or minivan (with three seat second row) - one parent seated in between the kids for segments of the drive
a) both kids in 3rd row
b) one kid in one of the captain's chairs, assuming this can be done safely / legally

Any input welcome!
I would just get the safest car. It is a long drive and it’s much less safe than flying.
Any sources you can share on relative safety of driving vs. flying with COVID? Don't get me wrong - I am in the pro-flying camp but am thinking of gently socializing with family members to see if there is any chance of swaying points of view.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:26 pm

a) both kids in 3rd row

Any input welcome!
Any sources you can share on relative safety of driving vs. flying with COVID? Don't get me wrong - I am in the pro-flying camp but am thinking of gently socializing with family members to see if there is any chance of swaying points of view.
Oh no. Please by all means don’t fly right now. I meant that driving is less safe than flying during normal times. As for me I prefer driving over flying with kids any time of the day. It’s just so much easier to throw in everything into the trunk of the car.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

For 2 Kids Accord will be fine. I've done many, many 1800-2500 mile trips with young kids over the years. If you get 3 kids captain chair minivan is the way to go.

Only bit of advice I'd throw in, but probably not critical for a 12hr drive, is keep the kids awake till about 10pm, pack up the car and drive the night through. Make sure you take a nice nap before you go. We always did this on the first 19hr leg of the trip to visit in-laws.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

a) both kids in 3rd row

Any input welcome!
What happened to the argument for just not making the trip due to Covid-19?
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

What?

Post by 123 »

Just use your own car. You are familiar with it and you don't need any extra "chores" to pick up (and drop off) a rental. The kids know the vehicle as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

kimura king wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:49 pm Ttibbitts, I have heard the top car guy on youtube, Scotty Kilmer, pretty much back that. I know he says avoid turbocharged cars for longevity. The 5.0L Ford is supposed to last longer. I have driven a friend's 2014 F150 with the 5.0. I would rather have that for my own personal car, but I will say the 3.5L ecoboost has a lot of power.
Top car-related clickbait purveyor on youtube :x

There was a time when turbocharged cars were inherently unreliable, and to some extent they can be, but we've come a long ways since the 80s and 90s. Engine management is better and turbos are far more reliable than before. While a turbocharger is an additional component to fail, the difference is relatively minimal compared to other parts of the car. There are very reliable turbo motors, and very unreliable naturally aspirated motor. In either case, just about any modern motor will easily make it to 100k+ miles, and almost all will make it 150k+. The difference in reliability usually comes down to ancillary items that may not be major functional components but can be expensive and time consuming to fix.

That being said, the Ford ecoboost motors have had issues in their various guises, and Ford has a history of corner cutting and cost cutting that can impair long term reliability. GM does too for that matter, although reliability will vary greatly from model to model.
megabad

Post by megabad »

I would go minivan or low ground clearance SUV (crossover). I would avoid trucks, sedans and full sized SUVs. Just for the safety benefits. Not a strong preference though in my opinion. Any of them will have room unless you have a crazy amount of luggage. And you will have to stop every couple of hours anyway.
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:53 pm

a) both kids in 3rd row

Any input welcome!
What happened to the argument for just not making the trip due to Covid-19?
we are staying put, for now. But prospect may resurface in a few weeks.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

[Disrespectful comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy] Long distance drives are the easiest miles on a car. Most wear-and-tear comes from starting the car in the morning and city-driving with multiple starts and stops. A car will have much much less wear-and-tear being used for 24-hours trip on highway / interstate than the same 24-hours for one's typical commute.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pm

There was a time when turbocharged cars were inherently unreliable, and to some extent they can be, but we've come a long ways since the 80s and 90s. Engine management is better and turbos are far more reliable than before. While a turbocharger is an additional component to fail, the difference is relatively minimal compared to other parts of the car. There are very reliable turbo motors, and very unreliable naturally aspirated motor. In either case, just about any modern motor will easily make it to 100k+ miles, and almost all will make it 150k+. The difference in reliability usually comes down to ancillary items that may not be major functional components but can be expensive and time consuming to fix.

That being said, the Ford ecoboost motors have had issues in their various guises, and Ford has a history of corner cutting and cost cutting that can impair long term reliability. GM does too for that matter, although reliability will vary greatly from model to model.
Nobody was saying anything critical about turbocharging; I've owned several turbocharged engines without any turbo-related problems. The issue I specifically complained about was the internal water pump design, which is apparently a feature of some, but not all, 3.5L Ecoboost engines.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Nobody was saying anything critical about turbocharging; I've owned several turbocharged engines without any turbo-related problems. The issue I specifically complained about was the internal water pump design, which is apparently a feature of some, but not all, 3.5L Ecoboost engines.
Was responding to the bold. I agree that specific failure points unrelated to turbocharging, like water pumps, are more common.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:41 pm
tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Was responding to the bold. I agree that specific failure points unrelated to turbocharging, like water pumps, are more common.
It does seem like turbocharger components themselves have been pretty reliable over the years.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

lol. We NEVER did me in the back seat with the kid(s). But my daughter did it a lot. Sorry for assuming! So, she plans to drive the entire trip? Maybe just rent a place half way and have the inlaws meet you!
epargnant

Post by epargnant »

We always find a parent sitting in the back seat prolongs wakefulness and/or crying (why are you sitting there & not holding me?!) A 1 year old doesn’t really need much entertainment in the car, and a 4 year old can have a bag of new toys/books or a tablet if you’re ok with that.

We’ve driven 12 hours each way with small kids in a civic, an accord, & an SUV. The sedans were the best because it was so easy to reach back to the kids & the older child could reach the younger to hand him things. In the SUV I could not reach the back floor if something fell & could barely reach the kids. The only benefit to the 3-row SUV when you only have 2 kids is trunk space for all the baby gear.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:51 am If your car is new and nice, maybe destroy someone else's new and nice car with wear and mileage. If going on a road trip, renting may be cheaper than driving a car you own.
Sounds like a lot of highway driving. Typically, far less wear and tear compared to local driving. Of course, we drive out cars into the ground.

To the OP. Take the Honda. We took a Civic to Yellowstone. 5,000 miles with two kids older than yours. No problem.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

A contentious exchange was removed. As a reminder, see General Etiquette:
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones. Discussions are about issues, not people. If you disagree with an idea, go ahead and marshal all your forces against it. But do not confuse ideas with the person posting them. At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:02 pm

a) both kids in 3rd row

Any input welcome!
We drove 20 hours each way to Disney World from Kansas City and back. Once. :)

But minivan with two captain chairs for the kids (NOT a bench) is the way to go.

Oh wait, you said 1 and 4 year old? that's tougher.

Mine were like 12 and 6... We left Florida on the way back at 5:00 am, and they reclined their captain's chairs and slept until half-way through Georgia. Priceless.

Hmm.. I'd still go with the two captains chairs, with a parent in one and the 4 year in the other, and baby in the third row (Parent in captain chair can easily reach back or move back through the gap to take care of young one).
Agreed. You want a mini van with captains chairs. Soooo much easier to get the kids in and out.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns