Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by squirm »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality face mask? I've got a couple of the blueish face mask (I think they're referred to as surgeons mask, maybe). One seems decent, meaning when I breath in, it sucks in the mask too (it oddly enough says "electronics bdx", on the front side)...the other one is junk, it's like tissue paper. Frankly, I don't trust any of the reviews on Amazon. I've got some N95's but I use those only when I think I really will need them like I'm in the local Wally World's where less than half the people wear anything plus my wife doesn't like wearing them. Just something that can be easily bought online and should work decent, any suggestions is appreciated.
student
Posts: 5161
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by student »

This is a reputable place.

https://wyze.com/face-masks.html I ordered some.
BeachPerson
Posts: 941
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Northern VA

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by BeachPerson »

I just love the following from ETSY - Two sided and thick cotton. Will really help to keep you safe!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NitelilyDesigns
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
nalor511
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by nalor511 »

squirm wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:20 pm Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality face mask? I've got a couple of the blueish face mask (I think they're referred to as surgeons mask, maybe). One seems decent, meaning when I breath in, it sucks in the mask too (it oddly enough says "electronics bdx", on the front side)...the other one is junk, it's like tissue paper. Frankly, I don't trust any of the reviews on Amazon. I've got some N95's but I use those only when I think I really will need them like I'm in the local Wally World's where less than half the people wear anything plus my wife doesn't like wearing them. Just something that can be easily bought online and should work decent, any suggestions is appreciated.
I've had good luck with the 10 for $5 kn95 masks from eBay, shipped from SoCal. I know it sounds dubious, we tested them, couldn't blow out a candle, etc. I use a pipe cleaner to convert the "ear loops" to a head loop.
dcdowden
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by dcdowden »

student wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:25 pm This is a reputable place.

https://wyze.com/face-masks.html I ordered some.
Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered some of the KN95 masks as well. We have a lot of surgical masks from other sources, but thought it might be a good idea to have some KN95 for extra risky situations as well. Hopefully, our medical professionals are well equipped at this point.
MidnightX
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by MidnightX »

I have had good luck with ETSY as well. Studio3DX is the best I have found so far. That company currently has a 5 star review with sales of 46,811 and they ship the same day. The ear straps are adjustable, the mask fits well, is comfortable, and in my opinion looks good. It also includes a pocket filter (which they also sell). The mask may cost more than the disposable ones but they are washable, reusable, adjustable, fit any size face, and are of good quality. From their site... it is made from mostly cotton and polyester for added stretch and is made in Korea and New York. They also donate 1 for every 2 masks sold.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Studio3DX?lis ... ader#items

Face Mask Filters
https://www.etsy.com/listing/814809797/ ... ble-filter
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

MidnightX wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:05 pm I have had good luck with ETSY as well. Studio3DX is the best I have found so far. That company currently has a 5 star review with sales of 46,811 and they ship the same day. The ear straps are adjustable, the mask fits well, is comfortable, and in my opinion looks good. It also includes a pocket filter (which they also sell). The mask may cost more than the disposable ones but they are washable, reusable, adjustable, fit any size face, and are of good quality. From their site... it is made from mostly cotton and polyester for added stretch and is made in Korea and New York. They also donate 1 for every 2 masks sold.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Studio3DX?lis ... ader#items

Face Mask Filters
https://www.etsy.com/listing/814809797/ ... ble-filter
Thanks for the links. Plan to give them a try.

Do you "always" use the filters?

Are the masks on their own substantial enough in weight, without the filters? I realize that the filters are intended to serve a different purpose than just to add shape / structure to the mask.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
go_mets
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by go_mets »

I bought a set of five KN95 from SunJoe.com
I like them.

I recently bought ten from Office Depot, but I have not received them yet.

.
bluelight
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by bluelight »

We purchased masks from Turtleback. They are thick cotton, have a filter pocket and adjustable ear loops. Made in USA.
https://www.turtlebackcase.com/protective-face-masks/
viveks
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by viveks »

I have been using these:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... isposable/

Pretty decent quality. You can get same brand at Costco in case they have any.
paulsalem
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by paulsalem »

https://cambridgemask.com

Make sure to get a valve cover.
nalor511
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by nalor511 »

Happy with kn95
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

viveks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:57 pm I have been using these:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... isposable/

Pretty decent quality. You can get same brand at Costco in case they have any.
Any sense of "size"? Do they seem designed for normal-sized faces or larger / smaller?

I would probably be looking for normal at most. A little smaller okay, but definitely not larger. Couldn't get a sense from online description / reviews.

Great sale price!

Thanks!
viveks
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by viveks »

On the box it mentions 6.89 x 3.74in, for an adult these are neither too big or small. The expand downward.. so you should be able to adjust whatever is comfortable to you.

HTH
MidnightX
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by MidnightX »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 pm
MidnightX wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:05 pm I have had good luck with ETSY as well. Studio3DX is the best I have found so far. That company currently has a 5 star review with sales of 46,811 and they ship the same day. The ear straps are adjustable, the mask fits well, is comfortable, and in my opinion looks good. It also includes a pocket filter (which they also sell). The mask may cost more than the disposable ones but they are washable, reusable, adjustable, fit any size face, and are of good quality. From their site... it is made from mostly cotton and polyester for added stretch and is made in Korea and New York. They also donate 1 for every 2 masks sold. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Studio3DX?lis ... ader#items Face Mask Filters. https://www.etsy.com/listing/814809797/ ... ble-filter
Thanks for the links. Plan to give them a try.

Do you "always" use the filters?

Are the masks on their own substantial enough in weight, without the filters? I realize that the filters are intended to serve a different purpose than just to add shape / structure to the mask.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
To me, the masks I linked to are substantial enough in that they provide structure and shape even without the filters. They fit snugly from the bridge of the nose, tuck below the chin, and sit nicely against the sides of the face. When you breathe in and out through your mouth the mask has the desired suction effect. There is a space between the tip of your nose to below the bottom lip which makes it easy to breath. That is where the filter sits if you choose to use one. There is not a noticeable difference in the structure of the mask with the filter in place since the filter is fairly thin although slightly stiff. With a filter in place you will not get the suction effect as much, but that is the way it is with the other masks I have. I am not sure how many layers the mask has but the pocket (pouch) could be considered a layer on its own, and the filter I suppose is another layer. After reading the reviews, I chose this one because it fits all size faces and I get concerned when I have to choose a size. That and quality are my main concerns with disposable masks. This mask does not seem thick so that may be a disappointment if that translates to weight for you. I like the black color better than the blue because the emblem tag on it looks higher quality. I had bought a different mask from Etsy and thought it was great until I got this one. I suspect that could happen again if I decide to purchase yet another mask and it turns out even better.

Here is a link to the top rated masks on Etsy in order to do further research. At the top of the page you can narrow the search to those with filters, nose wires, etc. Some of the sellers have a lot of sales, but I notice that the reviews are also for other items they sell. You would definitely want to read the reviews for whatever you choose. https://www.etsy.com/market/best_face_m ... st_reviews. To answer your first question on whether I always use the filters, I primarily only go out for grocery shopping in which case I always use a filter since I live in Los Angeles county. Good luck in your search.
MostlyABogleHead
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

squirm wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:20 pm Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality face mask? I've got a couple of the blueish face mask (I think they're referred to as surgeons mask, maybe). One seems decent, meaning when I breath in, it sucks in the mask too (it oddly enough says "electronics bdx", on the front side)...the other one is junk, it's like tissue paper. Frankly, I don't trust any of the reviews on Amazon. I've got some N95's but I use those only when I think I really will need them like I'm in the local Wally World's where less than half the people wear anything plus my wife doesn't like wearing them. Just something that can be easily bought online and should work decent, any suggestions is appreciated.
Checkout this Etsy shop.

Black Cotton Face Mask Made in USA - Washable Face Mask adult - Reuse Cloth Face Mask - face covering - protection mask wholesale face mask by HappyMasksKC on Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/811386181/ ... ade-in-usa

Reasonably priced, fast shipping and fit well. I have worn it and washed them a few times and they hold up very well. Overall a very comfortable mask.
WS1
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by WS1 »

oldfort
Posts: 1742
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by oldfort »

If by quality, you mean a face mask that will protect you from getting COVID-19, this thread is fundamentally a medical question. If N-95 is unavailable, a surgical mask would be your next best bet.
tm3
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by tm3 »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 pm I use a pipe cleaner to convert the "ear loops" to a head loop.
Could you expound a little on your pipe cleaner mod? The biggest complaint I have about masks is how uncomfortable the ear loops are.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11753
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by Sandtrap »

Non Medical masks Respiratory Protection of all types:

On a daily basis:
Change the name to "respiratory protection" vs PC "face mask".
(Respirator Protection was sold in Hardware stores and trade supply houses in bulk for all types of consumer uses long before COVID 19 hit the news.)

Respirator Protection for most consumers on a daily basis. . . .
for non-medical uses:

Mowing acres of shrub on a zero turn mower in a cloud of fine dirt and dust. (cough! gag!) (N95's are a minimum)
Moving hay bales and feed bags in the stable feed stall storage area. (gag! snot! Hay Fever!!!)
Welding in the shop (sparks and smoke fumes!) (carbon fume masks)
Grinding and sharpening mower blades. (metal fumes)
Chain saw pruning (wood dust with sap!)
Circular saw cutting douglas fir and pine boards (cough! cough!)
Weed wacking with gas line trimmer (double masks)
Spraying glycosyphate (roundup) on 4000 linear feet of fence lines. (cough! hack! wheeze!) (cartridge vapor masks)
While using paints and solvents. (be sure to get the right mask respiratory protection for the task. Cartridge filter types are readily available as well.
Trades workers and jobsites and auto body shops and fabrication shops, etc: (respiratory protection all day every day.)
Etc. . . .

OP: actionably. . . .
Face Mask Respiratory Protection of many types can be found in many sources and of many styles and uses. . .
Depending on your intended use and budget. . . get the best respiratory protection that you can find.

Much of the (non medical) folks in public used "Respiratory Protection" of all types on a daily, all day, basis as part of work and hobbies long before Respiratory Protection entered the awareness of the overall general public. And, also entered for forefront of things in life.

So, actionably, shop for your intended use and multiple uses so your "respiratory protection" can be used in your hobbies as well.

Lung protection is not contentious, it's for all lungs and all harmful things out there. (cough! cough!) :shock: :shock:

Personally: I worked on jobsites back when DOSH and OSHA was not a strong presence. Renovating an interior space with asbestos floor tiles and insulation, and other airborne silicates and toxins did not require Respiratory Protection. Even wood treating with a bucket of Creosote and a brush and a spray bottle was common. (stained hands and eating a sandwich lunch. . . no kidding! :| ).
Point is: actionably: it's prudent to use all types of personal protection, from Respiratory Protection, to disposalble gloves, to hearing and eye protection, chemicals and toxins, etc, in all things that we do because the damage to our bodies adds up. (cough! cough!) :| :|

These threads and posts are great to bring this type of general awareness and broad minded thinking to the general public.
Thanks OP for posting it.

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11753
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by Sandtrap »

Not to tangent the thread a bit or maybe others might also be looking for this:

Does anyone know a source . . . .
for the type of face mask Respiratory Protection that was embedded with carbon.
They look like regular face masks Respiratory Protection but were nearly dark black and worked great for welding and metal work fumes??

Mahalo
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
crefwatch
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by crefwatch »

It is not actionable, but I have often wondered about what I perceive as the poor facial tightness of the average "blue surgical mask". They seem "gappy" on the ends. I would like to know more about why they are rated better than cloth masks.

For example, a recent (non-medical) newspaper article described an experiment where two animal cages were separated by a panel composed of blue surgical masks. To me, that does not reflect the actual use of a surgical mask on a human face.

Just musing about it. I am firmly pro-mask, and have sewn two dozen two-ply cotton masks which we use on the occasions we go out. I would never enter an indoor space without a mask. Other masks have become available since I started sewing. I saw some 10-packs of Fruit Of The Loom three-ply teeshirt (?) cotton at Walgreens. They passed the "view a light source through the mask" test even better than my two-ply cotton "chintz"+flannel (let's say) masks.
MJS
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by MJS »

Tom Bihn has 2 sizes of adult cloth masks. They have adjustable ear straps, and a neck loop so you can temporarily pull it down without losing it. The cotton one has been quite comfortable and well sealed. Unfortunately, they tend to sell out quickly.

The quality of Bihn's luggage has been recommended by many Bogleheads -- https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... org&q=bihn
Rob1
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by Rob1 »

crefwatch wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 am It is not actionable, but I have often wondered about what I perceive as the poor facial tightness of the average "blue surgical mask". They seem "gappy" on the ends. I would like to know more about why they are rated better than cloth masks.

For example, a recent (non-medical) newspaper article described an experiment where two animal cages were separated by a panel composed of blue surgical masks. To me, that does not reflect the actual use of a surgical mask on a human face.

Just musing about it. I am firmly pro-mask, and have sewn two dozen two-ply cotton masks which we use on the occasions we go out. I would never enter an indoor space without a mask. Other masks have become available since I started sewing. I saw some 10-packs of Fruit Of The Loom three-ply teeshirt (?) cotton at Walgreens. They passed the "view a light source through the mask" test even better than my two-ply cotton "chintz"+flannel (let's say) masks.
Maybe it is actionable :wink: With some rubber bands or a sheet of rubber you can recreate a much better seal. See the link below for details. Using a surgical mask, they are in line to get this method tested by AFFOA against the N95 standard. I used this method with good results, but it took a little trial and error to get the right bands for a comfortable fit. I have a sheet of rubber on my desk to cut and try that option.

https://www.fixthemask.com/make-it
PhilSarah
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by PhilSarah »

Etsy as well. But the cheaper stuff doesn’t hold up to washing. Have this one made for beards (i have black) the shop had some non beard ones too.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/820642936/ ... ik-tie-dye
Eazyndn
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 pm
Location: California

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by Eazyndn »

Out of all the masks I’ve bought, I highly recommend these. The quilt material is the best.


https://www.etsy.com/listing/783108144/ ... ed-1&frs=1
InMyDreams
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by InMyDreams »

Rob1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:33 pmI have a sheet of rubber on my desk to cut and try that option.

https://www.fixthemask.com/make-it
I too purchased the rubber sheets, and definitely find it a tighter, more occlusive fit than without - except over the nose bridge. Their developing silicone brace appears to have a ridge over the noise to push the underlying masking. I'm continuing to use the very old construction mask over a blue disposable mask because it does seem to create a tighter fit (essentially it is my "mask brace"), but I'm glad to know I have a back up plan when the old construction masks dies.
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by CardinalRule »

I have a Bihn mask and like it. Mine is the V1 and I would like the newer model that has the lanyard. As you note, they sell out fast.
MJS wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am Tom Bihn has 2 sizes of adult cloth masks. They have adjustable ear straps, and a neck loop so you can temporarily pull it down without losing it. The cotton one has been quite comfortable and well sealed. Unfortunately, they tend to sell out quickly.

The quality of Bihn's luggage has been recommended by many Bogleheads -- https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... org&q=bihn
nalor511
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by nalor511 »

tm3 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:27 am
nalor511 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 pm I use a pipe cleaner to convert the "ear loops" to a head loop.
Could you expound a little on your pipe cleaner mod? The biggest complaint I have about masks is how uncomfortable the ear loops are.
Literally bend each end of the pipe cleaner back on itself at a length of 1cm, then hook the ends onto each ear loop, then the pipe cleaner goes around the top of your head as if it was a headband mask. Make the bend at the end shorter or longer as needed

You could accomplish the same thing with a zip tie by encircling both ear loops with it, then keeping the zip tie behind your head.

You could also use dental floss of the appropriate length, with one end tied to each of the ear loops

You get the idea
go_mets
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by go_mets »

just saw this online RESPOKARE® NIOSH N95
https://www.rollingstone.com/product-re ... e-1024302/
4 for $50
Student2
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by Student2 »

There are lots of threads on this very topic here, like
  • etc
Just search the forum for "mask". I purchased the masks at https://o2canada.com/ and have been quite happy with them. Full disclosure, a colleague was concerned that they may have a vent, but I couldn't decide. In any case, it is downward facing and covered by silicone. If you were really concerned, I suppose you could get a face shield, but I digress.
amoose
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by amoose »

I had problems with glasses fogging up, especially during exercising or on humid days. I now use face coverings from Starks (https://starks.com/products/face-masks/) which work much better. They are very comfortable to wear, and the additional fabric at the top works well to prevent fogging (i put the bridge of my glasses on top of the fabric.
tm3
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by tm3 »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:52 pm
tm3 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:27 am
nalor511 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 pm I use a pipe cleaner to convert the "ear loops" to a head loop.
Could you expound a little on your pipe cleaner mod? The biggest complaint I have about masks is how uncomfortable the ear loops are.
Literally bend each end of the pipe cleaner back on itself at a length of 1cm, then hook the ends onto each ear loop, then the pipe cleaner goes around the top of your head as if it was a headband mask. Make the bend at the end shorter or longer as needed

You could accomplish the same thing with a zip tie by encircling both ear loops with it, then keeping the zip tie behind your head.

You could also use dental floss of the appropriate length, with one end tied to each of the ear loops

You get the idea

AHA! Got it now! Thanks for the help! I hate the ear loops and don't know why there are not more offerings without them.
nalor511
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by nalor511 »

go_mets wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:14 pm just saw this online RESPOKARE® NIOSH N95
https://www.rollingstone.com/product-re ... e-1024302/
4 for $50
30 for $150 https://www.ebay.com/itm/N95-NIOSH-Face ... 3664997698 (same mask)

20 for $100 https://www.ebay.com/itm/N95-NIOSH-Face ... 3664997570 (different mask)
nalor511
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by nalor511 »

tm3 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:41 am
nalor511 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:52 pm
tm3 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:27 am
nalor511 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 pm I use a pipe cleaner to convert the "ear loops" to a head loop.
Could you expound a little on your pipe cleaner mod? The biggest complaint I have about masks is how uncomfortable the ear loops are.
Literally bend each end of the pipe cleaner back on itself at a length of 1cm, then hook the ends onto each ear loop, then the pipe cleaner goes around the top of your head as if it was a headband mask. Make the bend at the end shorter or longer as needed

You could accomplish the same thing with a zip tie by encircling both ear loops with it, then keeping the zip tie behind your head.

You could also use dental floss of the appropriate length, with one end tied to each of the ear loops

You get the idea

AHA! Got it now! Thanks for the help! I hate the ear loops and don't know why there are not more offerings without them.
Yes, ear loops are SOO uncomfortable on my ears, after 5 minutes or so I cannot stand it :)
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

viveks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:57 pm I have been using these:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... isposable/

Pretty decent quality. You can get same brand at Costco in case they have any.
Happy with these masks, so far. Have only worn a couple of times, but especially after I knew to fit the mask around my nose :oops:, I am glad to have these masks as a disposable mask option. Just wish that I bought more when they were selling at 50% off ($14.99, I believe). Oh well.

MidnightX wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 pm
rjbraun wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 pm
MidnightX wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:05 pm I have had good luck with ETSY as well. Studio3DX is the best I have found so far. That company currently has a 5 star review with sales of 46,811 and they ship the same day. The ear straps are adjustable, the mask fits well, is comfortable, and in my opinion looks good. It also includes a pocket filter (which they also sell). The mask may cost more than the disposable ones but they are washable, reusable, adjustable, fit any size face, and are of good quality. From their site... it is made from mostly cotton and polyester for added stretch and is made in Korea and New York. They also donate 1 for every 2 masks sold. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Studio3DX?lis ... ader#items Face Mask Filters. https://www.etsy.com/listing/814809797/ ... ble-filter
Thanks for the links. Plan to give them a try.

Do you "always" use the filters?

Are the masks on their own substantial enough in weight, without the filters? I realize that the filters are intended to serve a different purpose than just to add shape / structure to the mask.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
To me, the masks I linked to are substantial enough in that they provide structure and shape even without the filters. They fit snugly from the bridge of the nose, tuck below the chin, and sit nicely against the sides of the face. When you breathe in and out through your mouth the mask has the desired suction effect. There is a space between the tip of your nose to below the bottom lip which makes it easy to breath. That is where the filter sits if you choose to use one. There is not a noticeable difference in the structure of the mask with the filter in place since the filter is fairly thin although slightly stiff. With a filter in place you will not get the suction effect as much, but that is the way it is with the other masks I have. I am not sure how many layers the mask has but the pocket (pouch) could be considered a layer on its own, and the filter I suppose is another layer. After reading the reviews, I chose this one because it fits all size faces and I get concerned when I have to choose a size. That and quality are my main concerns with disposable masks. This mask does not seem thick so that may be a disappointment if that translates to weight for you. I like the black color better than the blue because the emblem tag on it looks higher quality. I had bought a different mask from Etsy and thought it was great until I got this one. I suspect that could happen again if I decide to purchase yet another mask and it turns out even better.

Here is a link to the top rated masks on Etsy in order to do further research. At the top of the page you can narrow the search to those with filters, nose wires, etc. Some of the sellers have a lot of sales, but I notice that the reviews are also for other items they sell. You would definitely want to read the reviews for whatever you choose. https://www.etsy.com/market/best_face_m ... st_reviews. To answer your first question on whether I always use the filters, I primarily only go out for grocery shopping in which case I always use a filter since I live in Los Angeles county. Good luck in your search.
Pretty satisfied with these masks. Agree that they don't feel "thick", but I do like that they fit the contours of my face well. Definitely an improvement over the homemade masks I was wearing.

I figured that the filters were intended to be used once and discarded. When I e-mailed the seller to inquire about whether it made a difference which side of the filter went where (it doesn't) I was kind of surprised that she seemed to suggest that the filters could be used multiple times, potentially. Okay, if by chance I wore the mask and filter for a couple of minutes, I guess I wouldn't replace it. But if I wore the mask when I, say, went for a walk outdoors for an hour, I guess I would plan to toss it when I got home. I think each filter cost just under $2, so it does add up a bit, over time, given that there are two of us. Of course, an extra $4 per day isn't going to break the bank, but if we start going out more frequently for short errands or something, the cost could be noticeable.

Is it "okay" to reuse masks or filters, assuming that they aren't really soiled or subjected to knowingly contaminated conditions -- does anyone know or have perspective on this? Just trying to ask from a consumer standpoint and not get into medical advice, which would be a violation of forum rules. Thank you.
usedtoplayrugby
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:58 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by usedtoplayrugby »

I have used the Envo Mask and found it very comfortable. A bit more expensive at $79, but the n95 filters can be replaced and the gel is very comfortable (and more importantly, creates a seal around your nose / mouth). I've taken this on flights where I wore it for 5+ hours from the minute I entered the airport until I left and found it very pleasant. I like the ear hook vs. the overhead straps

https://store.envomask.com/envomask-n95 ... it-p4.aspx
User avatar
TexasPE
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by TexasPE »

rjbraun wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:01 pm
Is it "okay" to reuse masks or filters, assuming that they aren't really soiled or subjected to knowingly contaminated conditions -- does anyone know or have perspective on this? Just trying to ask from a consumer standpoint and not get into medical advice, which would be a violation of forum rules. Thank you.
I follow these mask guidelines from the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

to reuse KN95 masks. Per the website

Because coronaviruses lose their viability significantly after 72 hours[3],[4], many organizations have promoted a rotation and re-use strategy. Assuming there is no soiling and minimal to no viral contamination to the mask, the CDC suggests that masks can be re-used up to 5 times.

In practice, the elastic on my "behind-the-head " elastic straps KN95 masks breaks after a half-dozen uses, so I cycle them (set of 4) until the strap breaks, then replace the damaged mask with a new one in the rotation.

Note that the China standard KN95 has essentially the same filtering efficiency as the N95 U S Standard.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/wha ... n95-masks/
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Jeff Albertson
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Info from the Wirecutter:

'How to Choose the Best Cloth Face Mask for You'
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ace-masks/
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

usedtoplayrugby wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:14 pm I have used the Envo Mask and found it very comfortable. A bit more expensive at $79, but the n95 filters can be replaced and the gel is very comfortable (and more importantly, creates a seal around your nose / mouth). I've taken this on flights where I wore it for 5+ hours from the minute I entered the airport until I left and found it very pleasant. I like the ear hook vs. the overhead straps

https://store.envomask.com/envomask-n95 ... it-p4.aspx
Thank you for the link and suggestion. About how much does the mask weigh? I couldn't find this detail online and am just wondering how heavy it may feel in use. I realize that you find it comfortable to wear for several hours at a time onboard an airplane.

I thought N95 masks (and, I guess, implicitly, filters) were only available to healthcare workers, etc., given limited supply. But it seems that the ones used in this mask and available for purchase are the real deal. Interesting.

Edit: Any idea about how long the mask is supposed to last (under "normal" conditions, say)? Just wondering, given that the gel seal seems key to performance but that some gels, at least, seem to break down over time.
Swansea
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:16 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by Swansea »

student wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:25 pm This is a reputable place.

https://wyze.com/face-masks.html I ordered some.
+1 I received some and am happy with the comfort and fit.
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

Swansea wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:23 pm
student wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:25 pm This is a reputable place.

https://wyze.com/face-masks.html I ordered some.
+1 I received some and am happy with the comfort and fit.
Thanks. I actually ordered some from there as well, based on this thread. Haven't had a chance to try any yet, as we've been going with non-disposable masks, so far. Can see the merits of disposable for certain circumstances in the future, though
InMyDreams
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by InMyDreams »

usedtoplayrugby wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:14 pm I have used the Envo Mask and found it very comfortable. A bit more expensive at $79, but the n95 filters can be replaced and the gel is very comfortable (and more importantly, creates a seal around your nose / mouth). I've taken this on flights where I wore it for 5+ hours from the minute I entered the airport until I left and found it very pleasant. I like the ear hook vs. the overhead straps

https://store.envomask.com/envomask-n95 ... it-p4.aspx
The video I viewed showed that it has a vent. CDC guidance is
"the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned against wearing masks with exhalation valves or vents, a type of face covering made for hot and dusty construction work that has become a popular pandemic accessory because of its seemingly high-tech design."


from WaPo
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ks-valves/

so, if wearing such, please protect others around you, too. They're probably not wearing N95s or equivalents.
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

CardinalRule wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm I have a Bihn mask and like it. Mine is the V1 and I would like the newer model that has the lanyard. As you note, they sell out fast.
MJS wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am Tom Bihn has 2 sizes of adult cloth masks. They have adjustable ear straps, and a neck loop so you can temporarily pull it down without losing it. The cotton one has been quite comfortable and well sealed. Unfortunately, they tend to sell out quickly.

The quality of Bihn's luggage has been recommended by many Bogleheads -- https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... org&q=bihn
We recently received the Tom Bihn V2 and V3 masks. We started with the V2 when we went out today. While we have, so far, only tried out a few different (non-TB) mask styles, breathing through the V2 masks felt the hardest for each of us compared to the other masks we have used. Was kind of surprised about this. Not sure if this means the V2 provides relatively superior protection or what.

Will probably wear them another time to see how things go, but not sure that we will buy more. Unfortunate, as we bought several of the V2 in expectation of it working out acceptably. :oops:
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

InMyDreams wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:00 pm
usedtoplayrugby wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:14 pm I have used the Envo Mask and found it very comfortable. A bit more expensive at $79, but the n95 filters can be replaced and the gel is very comfortable (and more importantly, creates a seal around your nose / mouth). I've taken this on flights where I wore it for 5+ hours from the minute I entered the airport until I left and found it very pleasant. I like the ear hook vs. the overhead straps

https://store.envomask.com/envomask-n95 ... it-p4.aspx
The video I viewed showed that it has a vent. CDC guidance is
"the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned against wearing masks with exhalation valves or vents, a type of face covering made for hot and dusty construction work that has become a popular pandemic accessory because of its seemingly high-tech design."


from WaPo
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ks-valves/

so, if wearing such, please protect others around you, too. They're probably not wearing N95s or equivalents.
Thanks for noting this. I guess I will need to hold off on any potential purchase until ascertaining the vent aspect. Indeed, not enough to check whether someone's mouth and nose (nostrils) are fully covered, but one also needs to steer clear of anyone donning a vented mask. :(
stimulacra
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by stimulacra »

These washable face masks from Brooks Brothers have been my favorite so far.

5 for $20
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Face-Mas ... lt,pd.html

They're very breathable, go well with work attire or casual clothes. I've worn them to hospitals when other people had to switch over to surgical masks.

Prior to these I just favored the blue/white disposable given to me from work.
URSnshn
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by URSnshn »

Came across this site a while back regarding masks ... they update as they learn more. They might be a viable source of information. I believe they rate some masks, but that is behind their pay wall.

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/how ... d#vidafeel
User avatar
chickadee
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by chickadee »

I specifically bought the LA Linen masks (link below) because they have the 3 layers called for in the link posted directly above from Consumer Lab. I.e., poly lycra stretch as the outer layer, Polypropylene "Oly*fun" inner layer which has an electrostatic charge, and cotton blend on the layer next to your face. They also have a nose wire.

These masks are a generous pleated size and give you room to breathe / talk. Once I got these, I've stopped trying other cloth masks.

Cloth Mask Recommendation:

https://www.lalinen.com/products/adult-masks-ear-loop

KN95 and Surgical Mask Recommendation:

Here is where I got my excellent KN95s and good quality disposable surgical masks (thicker than the Walgreens ones). They are based out of Dallas, TX, so shipping is very fast. They also have face shields, alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer.

https://honestppe.supply
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by CardinalRule »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:01 am
CardinalRule wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm I have a Bihn mask and like it. Mine is the V1 and I would like the newer model that has the lanyard. As you note, they sell out fast.
MJS wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am Tom Bihn has 2 sizes of adult cloth masks. They have adjustable ear straps, and a neck loop so you can temporarily pull it down without losing it. The cotton one has been quite comfortable and well sealed. Unfortunately, they tend to sell out quickly.

The quality of Bihn's luggage has been recommended by many Bogleheads -- https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... org&q=bihn
We recently received the Tom Bihn V2 and V3 masks. We started with the V2 when we went out today. While we have, so far, only tried out a few different (non-TB) mask styles, breathing through the V2 masks felt the hardest for each of us compared to the other masks we have used. Was kind of surprised about this. Not sure if this means the V2 provides relatively superior protection or what.

Will probably wear them another time to see how things go, but not sure that we will buy more. Unfortunate, as we bought several of the V2 in expectation of it working out acceptably. :oops:
Sorry to hear that, about the new Bihn models. But thanks for sharing.
rjbraun
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Good quality face mask recommendation, please

Post by rjbraun »

CardinalRule wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:26 pm
rjbraun wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:01 am
CardinalRule wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm I have a Bihn mask and like it. Mine is the V1 and I would like the newer model that has the lanyard. As you note, they sell out fast.
MJS wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am Tom Bihn has 2 sizes of adult cloth masks. They have adjustable ear straps, and a neck loop so you can temporarily pull it down without losing it. The cotton one has been quite comfortable and well sealed. Unfortunately, they tend to sell out quickly.

The quality of Bihn's luggage has been recommended by many Bogleheads -- https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... org&q=bihn
We recently received the Tom Bihn V2 and V3 masks. We started with the V2 when we went out today. While we have, so far, only tried out a few different (non-TB) mask styles, breathing through the V2 masks felt the hardest for each of us compared to the other masks we have used. Was kind of surprised about this. Not sure if this means the V2 provides relatively superior protection or what.

Will probably wear them another time to see how things go, but not sure that we will buy more. Unfortunate, as we bought several of the V2 in expectation of it working out acceptably. :oops:
Sorry to hear that, about the new Bihn models. But thanks for sharing.
My pleasure. I contacted TB to inquire about whether to remove the nose strip when washing (answer: optional, but probably helps to preserve mask life). As I was e-mailing them anyway, I figured I would note the V2's relatively reduced breathability, for us, and whether this was the result of improved filtering performance. I've excerpted the company's reply below, in case this information may be of interest to others:

"Some folks have found that the twill cotton fabric is thicker than other masks they have used, so the fabric feels warmer or heavier. Some folks have found they adjust to that, while others have found a lighter mask made with a blend (like our V1 mask made with a poly/cotton blend) works better for them. We've chosen to use 100% cotton twill due to the research given by the CDC and World Health Organization.

"The V3 in particular follows these guidelines for a three-layer mask issued by the W.H.O. on 06/05: The ideal combination of material for non-medical masks should include three layers as follows: 1) an innermost layer of a hydrophilic material (e.g. cotton or cotton blends); 2), an outermost layer made of hydrophobic material (e.g., polypropylene, polyester, or their blends) which may limit external contamination from penetration through to the wearer's nose and mouth; 3) a middle hydrophobic layer of synthetic non-woven material such as polyproplylene or a cotton layer which may enhance filtration or retain droplets."
Post Reply