AT&T Fiber internet - modem/router

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

AT&T Fiber internet - modem/router

Post by fareastwarriors »

Hi, I'm getting AT&T Fiber internet

My question is should I rent my modem/router (gateway) from AT&T for $10/month?
EDIT - 7/17/2020 1:10 PM PST : I can't opt out of their rental.

New question: Should I still get my own router and plug it into AT&T's or keep it simple and just use AT&T's as is?

Their Fiber promo right is $50/month for first year without the modem/router.

I currently have Xfinity and pay $50 for much, much less speed like 100mbps. I'm also renting their gateway for like $14 (included in the $50 bill).
Last edited by fareastwarriors on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lalamimi

Re: AT&T Fiber internet - rent modem/router?

Post by Lalamimi »

We rented Xfinity's modem for a year. Recently bought a NetGear router/modem for about $90. Buy! Amazing you have a choice of AT&T or XFinity. We are stuck with XFinity only.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I have CenturyLink fiber. The fiber goes to a box on the side of my house that is an ONT -- Optical Network Translator. That is in itself a modem and provides an ethernet cable that I plugged into my existing router. Never the less, CenturyLink tried to sell me a modem/router. I told them no.

I don't know if AT&T is similar (but it probably is). If so, you don't need a modem/router you just need a router. So go buy yourself a nice router (if you don't already have one) and plug the fiber service's ONT ethernet cable into that. Don't rent.

EDIT: But see inverter's post below.
Last edited by bertilak on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
inverter

Post by inverter »

With AT&T, you aren't able to opt out of the modem/router. AT&T has decided to encrypt the traffic between the ONT & their modem, so you can't just plug your router into their ONT.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

inverter wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:12 pm With AT&T, you aren't able to opt out of the modem/router. AT&T has decided to encrypt the traffic between the ONT & their modem, so you can't just plug your router into their ONT.
Yikes! They have not given up on their old evil practices! Do the also insist on renting you a Princess phone?
Last edited by bertilak on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Where I live, AT&T Fiber requires not only the ONT translating from fiber -> ethernet as a dumb pipe, but also an AT&T-approved router. This will offer the ability to split off TV service or "landline" service if you subscribe to those. They used to use an ONT that wasn't a dumb pipe and provided routing functions, but moved away from that due to poor reliability.

In my case, I purchased that required router, put it in a bridge mode, and run my own router that has a public IP address that I configure to my hearts content. The AT&T-approved router sits there doing nothing beyond acting as a bridge and doing whatever authentication AT&T's network requires.

I would never choose to rent a modem, if I had the choice. Not worth it in my book as you typically find suitable ones under $100. Remember, I get a "uni-taster". My wifi network and heavy lifting is done by my own router further down the pipe, so the main one just needs to deal with supporting one client over ethernet.
Ged

Post by Ged »

fareastwarriors wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:43 pm Hi, I'm getting AT&T Fiber internet

My question is should I rent my modem/router?
I would never rent a router. I like having sole control of that for security reasons.

Modem I've done both, rent and buy. Right now I'm renting. It really depends on the options your service offers.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 pm Where I live, AT&T Fiber requires not only the ONT translating from fiber -> ethernet as a dumb pipe, but also an AT&T-approved router. This will offer the ability to split off TV service or "landline" service if you subscribe to those. They used to use an ONT that wasn't a dumb pipe and provided routing functions, but moved away from that due to poor reliability.
If you open my CenturyLink ONT box it has a separate place to connect a phone line.
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

inverter wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:12 pm With AT&T, you aren't able to opt out of the modem/router. AT&T has decided to encrypt the traffic between the ONT & their modem, so you can't just plug your router into their ONT.
You're right. I can't opt out. Sorry, I should've checked before asking!

With Comcast, I was able to select rent or bring my own.

If this is the case, should I still get another router to plug into their modem/router and keep it simple and use it as is?

I'm not super tech-savvy if that matters but can follow directions decently.

*I'll edit the title of thread and my initial post. Thanks again!
BuddyJet

Re: AT&T Fiber internet - modem/router

Post by BuddyJet »

Unless you have a real reason to use your own router, just use the ATT one. If you need mesh or access points, ATT sells their wifi extenders for $40 each.

https://dfarq.homeip.net/how-to-use-you ... att-fiber/

If you decide you need your own router, there are two ways to do it. You can set up a DMZ as the link below says or pay $15/mo for static IP addresses.

https://dfarq.homeip.net/how-to-use-you ... att-fiber/

I needed static IP but most people don't. Since you aren't that techy, I'd strongly suggest staying with ATT and add the extenders if needed.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.