Hummus Alternative:

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nowizard

Hummus Alternative:

Post by Nowizard »

We often eat bagels with hummus but have recently discovered that chickpeas, even organic ones, have significantly higher levels of a carcinogen (Glyophosphate: Round Up) than the FDA recommends. We like the taste and low caloric content compared to soft cheese, for example. Are there other alternatives people like? Peanut butter is good, but it is higher calorically than ideal.

Tim
Dottie57

Re: Hummus Alternative:

Post by Dottie57 »

I also like Baba ganoush.

Or

Buy organic chickpeas and make your own hummus.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

It may be that if chickpeas have it, so do other things like peanuts, lentils etc.

We used to make a hummus-like concoction with canellini beans, olive oil, a bit of lemon and thyme (and probably some other ingredients -- it was a long time ago since we made it). We eat a lot of cooked lentils now which can approximate the consistency of chickpea.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Tahini? (Ground sesame seeds). Might have too many calories, but it can be spread thin.

I'm curious how organic chickpeas can have roundup residue.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Nowizard wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 am chickpeas, even organic ones, have significantly higher levels of a carcinogen (Glyophosphate: Round Up) than the FDA recommends.
Please provide a source for your statement that organic chickpeas have higher than recommended levels of glyphosate. I don't think you're correct about the organic chickpeas.
trinc

Post by trinc »

thanks for the heads up, i hadn't seen the report of the study.

a quick search for glyphosate free chickpeas found a number of hits.

and i'll read thru this:
[link to glyphosate article removed by admin LadyGeek]

might need to order from overseas ?

Tim
leeks

Post by leeks »

You can substitute with any bean. If you think cannelini, black beans, pinto, fava, etc do not have the risk you are concerned about, make hummus out of that. I might even try yellow spit peas.
megabad

Post by megabad »

While I can’t comment on the accuracy of your conclusion, I would say that avocado has a similar nutrition profile to hummus and is also used as a topping.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

trinc wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:08 am and i'll read thru this:
[link to glyphosate article removed by admin LadyGeek]
Not sure how much I'd trust the advice on the site of someone out to sell his own books.
hdcd

Post by hdcd »

A lot of the international markets in So California have hummus made out practically everything. At least 12 different varieties.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

You can make a paste out of any bean. Refried beans, for example. You can make them at home with whatever ingredients you want.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an article and comments related to the medical effects of Glyphosphate (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Please stay focused on food.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Munir

Post by Munir »

There is no alternative to hummus. :happy . I have been eating it for the last 83 years.
Topic Author
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:40 am I also like Baba ganoush.

Or

Also hummus does not have to be made with chick peas. It is also traditionally made with fava beans and can be made with red lentils.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

If you have an instant pot, you can make it in about an hour using fresh dry chickpeas (soaked overnight). There are a number of great recipes to be found online. You can also customize with substitutions and adding other beans.
Topic Author
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Thank you for your responses. They have some good suggestions.

Tim
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

If you’re trying to avoid chickpeas, you can easily make your own hummus with other beans. Cannellini beans make for a nice creamier version. You just need a food processor, or a blender could probably do in a pinch. Due to some allergy issues in the house, we make in weekly:
-two cans chickpeas (or other beans), drained with juices reserved
-2-4 garlic cloves
-3/4tsp salt
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-2tbsp lemon juice
Put the above in the processor and turn it on. Then add:
-olive oil and reserved juices to get your desired consistency

We have to avoid tahini, but you could add that and cut down oil a bit

Endless variations on the above

(I’ll also say, having some professional experience in the field, that the glyphosate situation is *much* more complex than reported in the media and blogosphere)
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

pcsrini wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:44 pm If you have an instant pot, you can make it in about an hour using fresh dry chickpeas (soaked overnight). There are a number of great recipes to be found online. You can also customize with substitutions and adding other beans.
The article stated that dried chickpeas have the highest level of the pesticide of everything tested.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:40 am I also like Baba ganoush
+1,000. I like it so much better than hummus
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

littlebird wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:15 pm
pcsrini wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:44 pm If you have an instant pot, you can make it in about an hour using fresh dry chickpeas (soaked overnight). There are a number of great recipes to be found online. You can also customize with substitutions and adding other beans.
The article stated that dried chickpeas have the highest level of the pesticide of everything tested.
Amazon seems to have some really good brands that claim to be 100% toxin free. You can also ask a question to the manufacturer and confirm that it meets your criteria.
Uchida

Post by Uchida »

Glyphosate is used to ripen garbanzo beans (chick peas) to make them easier to harvest with a combine. Thus any dried or canned garbanzo beans so treated could have glyphosate residue. It is not introduced when the hummus is made. It makes no sense that it would be present in organic beans, but I don’t have a high level of trust in organic labeling. If you want to be sure, grow your own. They are easy to grow....
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

The crop desiccation thing is an atrocity. They use the glyphosate to finish the crops. (The worst time). By spraying near the end the crops will finish more uniformly and produce a bigger harvest. The stress can also cause more seeds (often the desired fruit of the crop). I too hate to eat glyphosate residuals. Many countries have glyphosate completely banned. Big lawsuits seem to be having some success against Bayer.
Last edited by ohboy! on Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Or

Also hummus does not have to be made with chick peas. It is also traditionally made with fava beans and can be made with red lentils.
Tahini + chickpeas = Hummus

Tahini + roasted eggplant= Baba ghannouj (or gannoush)

Tahini + fava beans or any other legumes need other names that I am not familiar with.

If you call it hummus, it usually means it's made with chickpeas.
Northern Flicker

Munir wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Or

Tahini + fava beans or any other legumes need other names that I am not familiar with.

Yeah, a similar dip with fava beans is actually called ful mudammus (which can be transliterated into English many different ways). Fava bean flour can be substituted for garbanzo bean flour to make fallafel, which is called fallafel either way, but you are correct that it would no longer be called hummus if fava beans are substituted for garbanzo beans.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Environmental Working Group found glyphosate, the notorious weedkiller linked to cancer, in more than 80 percent of non-organic hummus and chickpeas samples, and detected at far lower levels in several organic versions.

EWG also tested 12 samples of organic hummus and six samples of organic chickpeas. All but two contained detectable concentrations of glyphosate. Although glyphosate levels in organic samples were much lower than those of their conventional counterparts, one dry chickpea sample had the highest glyphosate concentration of all samples tested in the study.
High Levels of Bayer’s Weedkiller Found in Hummus, Chickpeas
https://www.ewg.org/release/high-levels ... -chickpeas

Chickpeas were fine until they discovered and published the reports last week. And I just bought some hummus recently. Wait till they find it in other foods in the future too like they did in cereals. Soon, your diet will consist of only things you grew in your back yard after you've tested for every conceivable chemical.

Breakfast With a Dose of Roundup?
Weed Killer in $289 Million Cancer Verdict Found in Oat Cereal and Granola Bars
https://www.ewg.org/childrenshealth/glyphosateincereal/

No doubt the organic industry and the lawyers suing Roundup have a vested interest.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 pm
Munir wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Or

Yeah, a similar dip with fava beans is actually called ful mudammus (which can be transliterated into English many different ways). Fava bean flour can be substituted for garbanzo bean flour to make fallafel, which is called fallafel either way, but you are correct that it would no longer be called hummus if fava beans are substituted for garbanzo beans.
Ful mudammas, at least as made in Lebanon, did not have tahini but was only fava beans with olive oil and garlic. It could be placed on top of a base of hummus (chickpeas/garbanzo beans and tahini) and eaten together as one dish. Sorry for being nitpicking.
Northern Flicker

Ful is a popular breakfast dish in Syria, especially Aleppo. The fava beans are left simmering in large copper jars throughout the night, to be served from the next morning on; the beans swim in tahini and olive oil, completed with a hint of red pepper paste (made from Aleppo pepper) over the top.

In Jordan, ful is made just like hummus in a form of a dip, usually made with tahini, garlic, tomato, lemon juice, ground cumin, olive oil and salt.
I don't know if the wiki page is accurate, but I have made ful mudammas similarly to how it is therein described being made in Jordan.
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Can you make your own and substitute chickpeas with northern beans? It tastes even better (creamier) in my opinion.

Here's a great hummus recipe: https://cookieandkate.com/best-hummus-recipe/
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

Replace some of the beans with cooked root vegetables. Beets and carrots make particularly colorful hummus.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Nowizard wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:29 pm https://www.ewg.org/release/high-levels ... -chickpeas

Article that led to the post.
With respects to the article, consider the source, particularly the funding and bias of the source, carefully: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/environm ... group-ewg/

With respects to your question, if you're willing to go with homemade, there are already quite a few suggestions in this thread, from growing your own chickpeas to making a similar dip with beans or other options.

If you want a commercial solution, then also look for spreads made with alternative ingredients. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I do recall seeing such spreads at the grocery store.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Nowizard wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:29 pm https://www.ewg.org/release/high-levels ... -chickpeas

Article that led to the post.

Tim
That's the Environmental Working Group, not the FDA as stated in your original post. The EWG has absolutely nothing to do with the FDA. Their work is often contentious.

I don't know of alternatives, but I would be curious about inexpensives sources. I'm under the impression chickpeas are not difficult to grow, but hummus seems to be relatively expensive.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always passive

Post by Always passive »

Nowizard wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 am We often eat bagels with hummus but have recently discovered that chickpeas, even organic ones, have significantly higher levels of a carcinogen (Glyophosphate: Round Up) than the FDA recommends. We like the taste and low caloric content compared to soft cheese, for example. Are there other alternatives people like? Peanut butter is good, but it is higher calorically than ideal.

Tim
I live in the Middle East, and in a highly modern country, with a sophisticated medical establishment. Here people have been eating chickpeas for 100s of years, so I am highly skeptical about the carcinogen information you provide. I would have heard about it.
In any rate, if you are afraid of hummus, just take green peas, beans, or nut and make a paste. There are many recipes so check the internet.
BTW, I would not be surprised if you find all type of warnings about almost all foods! In google everybody can claim expertise in anything.
dogwalker

Post by dogwalker »

EWG "tests also found glyphosate in other kinds of dry and canned beans, dry lentils and garbanzo flour." Not shocking. Implication is that EWG thinks what was found in other beans is at lower levels.

https://www.ewg.org/research/glyphosate ... 20by%20EWG.

I plan to continue to buy Hanover's 6 lb 14 oz cans of chickpeas from Costco to make my homemade hummus. Perhaps I'll concede to doing a little more washing and soaking first.