Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ginstwin
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by ginstwin »

I have had my Peloton for 6 years .

1500 rides in and I love it as much as I did on day 1 .
I am in my mid 60s and find the community extremely motivating and encouraging. The bike itself is top class . In fact I have just ordered the Bike+ as I want to continue riding for another 6 years at least.

Those of you who have a bike check out Jenn Sherman . She was the first instructor they hired 7 years ago and in my opinion is the best .

Those of you who have ordered and are awaiting delivery be prepared for a life changing experience.
BUBear29
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:20 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by BUBear29 »

I just received my Schwinn IC4 last week. Two rides in and love it. Good quality bike and easy to setup.

I feel like a true BH as the IC4 is only $899 vs $1895 for the original Peloton Bike and the app is $12.99/month instead of the $39/mo if you have the Peloton.

I cast my rides onto AppleTV so I have a 70 inch screen to watch instead of the tablet, and I can do the bootcamp workouts very easily as well.

The Peloton Digital app is definitely worth it @$12.99/mo.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by RJC »

ginstwin wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 pm I have had my Peloton for 6 years .

1500 rides in and I love it as much as I did on day 1 .
I am in my mid 60s and find the community extremely motivating and encouraging. The bike itself is top class . In fact I have just ordered the Bike+ as I want to continue riding for another 6 years at least.

Those of you who have a bike check out Jenn Sherman . She was the first instructor they hired 7 years ago and in my opinion is the best .

Those of you who have ordered and are awaiting delivery be prepared for a life changing experience.
Wow 6 years and going strong. I hope to get as much use out of it!

I will check out Jenn.
surfstar
Posts: 2367
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by surfstar »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pelot ... =home-page

Peloton stock down as Amazon unveils $499 Echelon bike.
Trying to corner another market? :twisted:
Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by RJC »

surfstar wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 am https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pelot ... =home-page

Peloton stock down as Amazon unveils $499 Echelon bike.
Trying to corner another market? :twisted:
That's so interesting. I never knew that Amazon was behind Echelon. No wonder ads are everywhere.
mass_biker
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Peloton perspective

Post by mass_biker »

I am a former competitive cyclist and am still pretty serious about it.
My "pain cave" has rollers, a smart trainer for bike stuff. And a Concept 2 erg.
We waded into the Peloton ecosystem this past year and the whole family loves it.
That last piece is important - "whole family".
While I get a lot of utility from jamming on my Wahoo Kickr linked up to Sufferfest or Trainerroad, or spinning along on my Kreitlers, I really enjoy the ease of use that whole family gets from the Peloton.
The content depth/breadth of offerings is excellent, and the barriers to use (vs. what I grew up with) are very low - so my wife/son/daughter can just hop on.
One more thing I've really enjoyed too is the non-bike content on the platform - stretching, weights etc. - I've been able to access these classes upon getting back from a run, after a row etc. and have found them quite beneficial.

m_b
Topic Author
RJC
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by RJC »

onetoeinthewater wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:34 pm Happy to find this thread. I'm so excited. My bosses just gifted me a Peloton Bike Plus. I am scheduled for a knee replacement in early November and biking is one of the few things that isn't painful. It should be excellent for rehab and building back strength.
Wow, that is a nice gift! :shock:
lazydavid
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by lazydavid »

RJC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:40 am
surfstar wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 am https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pelot ... =home-page

Peloton stock down as Amazon unveils $499 Echelon bike.
Trying to corner another market? :twisted:
That's so interesting. I never knew that Amazon was behind Echelon.
They're not. The Amazon-exclusive Echelon Prime is basically identical (other than a few color details) to the Walmart-exclusive Echelon Sport which sells for the same $499. Just a branding exercise.
lazydavid
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by lazydavid »

Well that was fast: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand ... b8bd865111
Hours after launching a $499 exercise bike billed as a partnership between Amazon and fitness company Echelon, Amazon stopped selling the product and said the bike “is not an Amazon product or related to Amazon Prime.”

KEY FACTS
  • According a press announcement released by Echelon on Tuesday, the so-called “Prime Bike” was “developed in collaboration with Amazon” and offers Prime members a 30-day free trial for Echelon’s connected fitness app.
  • The announcement, which has since been deleted, generated buzz because it described the bike as Amazon’s first foray into connected exercise equipment, though some media outlets called it a “Peloton knockoff.”
  • But hours after the original announcement Tuesday night, Amazon updated the product page by listing the bike as “currently unavailable” and scrubbed any mention of a partnership with Amazon.
  • “This bike is not an Amazon product or related to Amazon Prime. Echelon does not have a formal partnership with Amazon. We are working with Echelon to clarify this in its communications, stop the sale of the product, and change the product branding,” an Amazon spokesperson said.
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by batpot »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:07 am Well that was fast: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand ... b8bd865111
Hours after launching a $499 exercise bike billed as a partnership between Amazon and fitness company Echelon, Amazon stopped selling the product and said the bike “is not an Amazon product or related to Amazon Prime.”

KEY FACTS
  • According a press announcement released by Echelon on Tuesday, the so-called “Prime Bike” was “developed in collaboration with Amazon” and offers Prime members a 30-day free trial for Echelon’s connected fitness app.
  • The announcement, which has since been deleted, generated buzz because it described the bike as Amazon’s first foray into connected exercise equipment, though some media outlets called it a “Peloton knockoff.”
  • But hours after the original announcement Tuesday night, Amazon updated the product page by listing the bike as “currently unavailable” and scrubbed any mention of a partnership with Amazon.
  • “This bike is not an Amazon product or related to Amazon Prime. Echelon does not have a formal partnership with Amazon. We are working with Echelon to clarify this in its communications, stop the sale of the product, and change the product branding,” an Amazon spokesperson said.
just read about that...wtf were they thinking!?
mkc
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Peloton perspective

Post by mkc »

mass_biker wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:08 am
One more thing I've really enjoyed too is the non-bike content on the platform - stretching, weights etc. - I've been able to access these classes upon getting back from a run, after a row etc. and have found them quite beneficial.
Are those classes basically what's available with the Peloton app, for those who don't have the bike?

Have been looking for a good source of very low impact/dumbell/exercise band classes with variety.
catdoctor
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:30 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by catdoctor »

RJC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:05 pm
onetoeinthewater wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:34 pm Happy to find this thread. I'm so excited. My bosses just gifted me a Peloton Bike Plus. I am scheduled for a knee replacement in early November and biking is one of the few things that isn't painful. It should be excellent for rehab and building back strength.
Wow, that is a nice gift! :shock:
+1
BSBHead
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by BSBHead »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 am
econprof wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am A $2000+ bike that doesn't come with pedals?

You know, jogging is free and dumbbells are cheap. A decent yoga mat is $40. Why pay for the Peloton?
Have you tried to buy dumbbells lately? They've been sold out everywhere since early March.
Yeah, dumbbells, barbells, and kettlebells are really hard to find right now. Rogue is constantly sold out. Craigslist used strength equipment is even more expensive than new in my city.
lazydavid
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Peloton perspective

Post by lazydavid »

mkc wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 pm Are those classes basically what's available with the Peloton app, for those who don't have the bike?

Have been looking for a good source of very low impact/dumbell/exercise band classes with variety.
Yes, content is exactly the same in the App whether you're a standalone app subscriber for $13 or a hardware owner with the $39 household sub.
stoptothink
Posts: 8687
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by stoptothink »

BSBHead wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:05 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 am
econprof wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am A $2000+ bike that doesn't come with pedals?

You know, jogging is free and dumbbells are cheap. A decent yoga mat is $40. Why pay for the Peloton?
Have you tried to buy dumbbells lately? They've been sold out everywhere since early March.
Yeah, dumbbells, barbells, and kettlebells are really hard to find right now. Rogue is constantly sold out. Craigslist used strength equipment is even more expensive than new in my city.
We have a local liquidation store (NPS) that always has a lot of plates (including bumpers), DBs, kettlebells for $.50lb, and often 50% off that. Have several friends that have loaded their garage gyms for $.25/lb. They still have plenty, but the price is now $1lb and I haven't seen a discount of exercise equipment in probably 6 months.
mass_biker
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Peloton content

Post by mass_biker »

One consideration - and this is coming from someone who has used

1) old TdF and Belgian Classics DVDs and VHS tapes while on rollers, shifting up/down for intervals
2) old Tdf and Belgian Classics videos on YouTube on a smart trainer (KICKR) toggling the power/resistance on my Wahoo app up/down
3) TrainerRoad app on a smart trainer that automatically ratchets power/resistance up/down as the workout proceeds
4) Peloton app on FireTV but using my smart trainer, again, toggling power up/down on my Wahoo app

The new capability of the Peloton bike to enable an automatic ratchet of power/resistance up/down for workouts is pretty neat. Again, less muss/fuss.
Granted, not as structured a workout as TrainerRoad (which is the best at this - IMHO) but a really accessible way for experienced riders and less-experienced to get used to the vagaries of cycling where you go in/out of your comfort zone regularly.

Not perfect. But pretty neat.

ps - the "upper body" workouts incorporated in the cycling workouts for me (skinny fellow) with the 3 and 5 lb weights were plenty vigorous and as advertised.

m_b
Old Guy
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by Old Guy »

Canceled my Peloton. It was due on 12.28. On 12.24 I received two emails with different order/activation numbers telling me it would arrive as planned. I was told I would get a call the day before telling when I could expect it. I received no call. On 12.28 I called to find out arrival time. A recorded message told me it was too early to call but they didn’t tell me what there hours were. When I reached them I was told that it wouldn’t arrive until February. I canceled.

I realize their production issues but they were unprofessional. Very customer unfriendly.
User avatar
queso
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by queso »

Not surprised. I warned people about this back on page 1. There have been tons of issues keeping up with covid demand from a production standpoint, quality has slipped and Reddit is full of of delivery and assembly issues (they outsource delivery to XPO now and assembly is done by delivery personnel). I can't count on two hands the number of stripped pedal stories I have read in the past year...I guess non "bike people" don't know about reverse thread on the left pedal or they are just gorilla forcing everything. It wasn't always this way. When I got mine almost 3 years ago it seemed to run like a well oiled machine. My bike came quickly and near the beginning of my delivery window a Peloton branded Sprinter with a guy and a girl in Peloton shirts showed up in my driveway to deliver and setup my bike. To be fair, there are a bunch of Nordictrack horror stories too. I am guessing other home fitness companies are having similar problems, but the only ones I follow are Peloton and NT since I own equipment from both of those manufacturers.
ginstwin
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by ginstwin »

I had completely the opposite experience . I replaced my original bike which I had had for 6 years with the new Bike+ trade in programme in November. It was a 3 week wait and the delivery team from Peloton were exceptional. They set it up and made sure everything was working before they left. I think like a lot of things it depends on who the delivery team are . I recently had a new freezer delivered and that was a nightmare !
Old Guy
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by Old Guy »

I’m still interested and I see that they bought Precor, which should help with their production schedule. I’ll wait until the pandemic calms down, hopefully it will, and I’ll try again.
HenryG
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by HenryG »

Our Peloton experience has been very good. Made the jump from casual users to bike owners in October. We waited around 4-6 weeks for delivery, and the delivery dates did jump around a bit (relative to original estimated delivery date).
davebo
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by davebo »

Old Guy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm Canceled my Peloton. It was due on 12.28. On 12.24 I received two emails with different order/activation numbers telling me it would arrive as planned. I was told I would get a call the day before telling when I could expect it. I received no call. On 12.28 I called to find out arrival time. A recorded message told me it was too early to call but they didn’t tell me what there hours were. When I reached them I was told that it wouldn’t arrive until February. I canceled.

I realize their production issues but they were unprofessional. Very customer unfriendly.
I think I hear stories like this much more than I hear people that love the Peloton. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks if it's equipment you'll use, but those kind of experiences would scare me away. If you're spending that amount of money, I'd expect white glove service. It's just a bike after all and with Amazon coming out with their Fitness+ app, competition will only get more fierce.
rich126
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by rich126 »

davebo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm
Old Guy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm Canceled my Peloton. It was due on 12.28. On 12.24 I received two emails with different order/activation numbers telling me it would arrive as planned. I was told I would get a call the day before telling when I could expect it. I received no call. On 12.28 I called to find out arrival time. A recorded message told me it was too early to call but they didn’t tell me what there hours were. When I reached them I was told that it wouldn’t arrive until February. I canceled.

I realize their production issues but they were unprofessional. Very customer unfriendly.
I think I hear stories like this much more than I hear people that love the Peloton. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks if it's equipment you'll use, but those kind of experiences would scare me away. If you're spending that amount of money, I'd expect white glove service. It's just a bike after all and with Amazon coming out with their Fitness+ app, competition will only get more fierce.
My understanding is that if engagement with a training is what someone wants, you can take those classes while using a non-Peloton bike. A few weeks ago I was reading a bunch of reviews on various bikes.

In my case I have no interest at all in online training/instructors, etc. I know others find it useful.

Cynically I find this stuff to be mostly a fad and another way for people to get an expensive subscription service but if you do use it and lose weight, that is good. I had a coworker who bought an electronically assisted bike and was going to ride it to/from work. I figured it was all talk since he was at least mid 40s, out of shape and talked too much. To his credit he kept it up for a few years, slowly dialed down the assisted pedaling and lost weight and got off his medicines for BP and cholesterol. (I only say a few years because I ended up leaving the company so I don't know how long it continued.)
Normchad
Posts: 1773
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by Normchad »

HenryG wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:48 pm Our Peloton experience has been very good. Made the jump from casual users to bike owners in October. We waited around 4-6 weeks for delivery, and the delivery dates did jump around a bit (relative to original estimated delivery date).
Our experience has also been very good. Delivery and quality were fine. The online content is fantastic for us. Thus far, we have a 14 week streak going...... we shall see how it turns out in the long run.....
ginstwin
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by ginstwin »

rich126 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:10 pm
davebo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm
Old Guy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm Canceled my Peloton. It was due on 12.28. On 12.24 I received two emails with different order/activation numbers telling me it would arrive as planned. I was told I would get a call the day before telling when I could expect it. I received no call. On 12.28 I called to find out arrival time. A recorded message told me it was too early to call but they didn’t tell me what there hours were. When I reached them I was told that it wouldn’t arrive until February. I canceled.

I realize their production issues but they were unprofessional. Very customer unfriendly.
I think I hear stories like this much more than I hear people that love the Peloton. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks if it's equipment you'll use, but those kind of experiences would scare me away. If you're spending that amount of money, I'd expect white glove service. It's just a bike after all and with Amazon coming out with their Fitness+ app, competition will only get more fierce.
My understanding is that if engagement with a training is what someone wants, you can take those classes while using a non-Peloton bike. A few weeks ago I was reading a bunch of reviews on various bikes.

In my case I have no interest at all in online training/instructors, etc. I know others find it useful.

Cynically I find this stuff to be mostly a fad and another way for people to get an expensive subscription service but if you do use it and lose weight, that is good. I had a coworker who bought an electronically assisted bike and was going to ride it to/from work. I figured it was all talk since he was at least mid 40s, out of shape and talked too much. To his credit he kept it up for a few years, slowly dialed down the assisted pedaling and lost weight and got off his medicines for BP and cholesterol. (I only say a few years because I ended up leaving the company so I don't know how long it continued.)
I have had my bike 6 years. I didnt really exercise much at all prior to my purchase. I am now at 1500 rides . I recently tested positive for Corona and recovered pretty quickly. I am certain that was down to my level of fitness . I only ride with one instructor and I am motivated continually by her and to be honest I am extremely grateful to what she has given me.
lazydavid
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by lazydavid »

davebo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm I think I hear stories like this much more than I hear people that love the Peloton. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks if it's equipment you'll use, but those kind of experiences would scare me away. If you're spending that amount of money, I'd expect white glove service. It's just a bike after all and with Amazon coming out with their Fitness+ app, competition will only get more fierce.
Isn't that kinda the case with everything? People don't generally go on forums to gush about how awesome their experience was, but they do like to complain. Those who just contemporaneously post about how great their delivery was are often categorized as shills. :)

But at the risk of being a shill, my original bike delivery 2 years ago was great--as was the delivery of our Tread 6 months later--and I got great service last week when I reached out to chat about my squeaky seat, which is the first issue I've had in over 12,000 miles. The chat session took less than 5 minutes (including wait time), and I had a new seat and seat slider 4 days later.
Old Guy
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by Old Guy »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:45 pm
davebo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm I think I hear stories like this much more than I hear people that love the Peloton. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks if it's equipment you'll use, but those kind of experiences would scare me away. If you're spending that amount of money, I'd expect white glove service. It's just a bike after all and with Amazon coming out with their Fitness+ app, competition will only get more fierce.
Isn't that kinda the case with everything? People don't generally go on forums to gush about how awesome their experience was, but they do like to complain. Those who just contemporaneously post about how great their delivery was are often categorized as shills. :)

But at the risk of being a shill, my original bike delivery 2 years ago was great--as was the delivery of our Tread 6 months later--and I got great service last week when I reached out to chat about my squeaky seat, which is the first issue I've had in over 12,000 miles. The chat session took less than 5 minutes (including wait time), and I had a new seat and seat slider 4 days later.
So what you’re saying that I’m just a complainer because they sent me two emails with different order numbers and activation codes one after another: the emails telling me to expect a telephone call with the time of the delivery; no telephone call was received; and when I called they said expect it in February. So I’m supposed to be thrilled by such wonderful customer service after giving them nearly $3,000 over two months ago?
lazydavid
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by lazydavid »

Old Guy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 pm So what you’re saying that I’m just a complainer because they sent me two emails with different order numbers and activation codes one after another: the emails telling me to expect a telephone call with the time of the delivery; no telephone call was received; and when I called they said expect it in February. So I’m supposed to be thrilled by such wonderful customer service after giving them nearly $3,000 over two months ago?
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that if someone goes to look for feedback on forums about a company or product, those with issues or complaints are going to be over-represented compared to the actual percentage of the population they make up. I apologize if I offended.
bampf
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by bampf »

ginstwin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:19 pm
rich126 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:10 pm
davebo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm
Old Guy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm Canceled my Peloton. It was due on 12.28. On 12.24 I received two emails with different order/activation numbers telling me it would arrive as planned. I was told I would get a call the day before telling when I could expect it. I received no call. On 12.28 I called to find out arrival time. A recorded message told me it was too early to call but they didn’t tell me what there hours were. When I reached them I was told that it wouldn’t arrive until February. I canceled.

I realize their production issues but they were unprofessional. Very customer unfriendly.
I think I hear stories like this much more than I hear people that love the Peloton. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks if it's equipment you'll use, but those kind of experiences would scare me away. If you're spending that amount of money, I'd expect white glove service. It's just a bike after all and with Amazon coming out with their Fitness+ app, competition will only get more fierce.
My understanding is that if engagement with a training is what someone wants, you can take those classes while using a non-Peloton bike. A few weeks ago I was reading a bunch of reviews on various bikes.

In my case I have no interest at all in online training/instructors, etc. I know others find it useful.

Cynically I find this stuff to be mostly a fad and another way for people to get an expensive subscription service but if you do use it and lose weight, that is good. I had a coworker who bought an electronically assisted bike and was going to ride it to/from work. I figured it was all talk since he was at least mid 40s, out of shape and talked too much. To his credit he kept it up for a few years, slowly dialed down the assisted pedaling and lost weight and got off his medicines for BP and cholesterol. (I only say a few years because I ended up leaving the company so I don't know how long it continued.)
I have had my bike 6 years. I didnt really exercise much at all prior to my purchase. I am now at 1500 rides . I recently tested positive for Corona and recovered pretty quickly. I am certain that was down to my level of fitness . I only ride with one instructor and I am motivated continually by her and to be honest I am extremely grateful to what she has given me.
Nice! I also ride with only one. Christine is awesome. Who is your favorite?
BobTexas
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by BobTexas »

Ordered my Bike (not Bike+) on Nov 22 and it was delivered as scheduled on Dec 16.

Really enjoy it so far. I agree that you could use their app with another bike, but you do lose out on their metrics on the screen that show power, heart rate, and cadence, as well as the leaderboard which I use as a motivator.
Old Guy
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by Old Guy »

To their credit, the refund showed up two days after the cancellation.
FamilyMan
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by FamilyMan »

A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
stoptothink
Posts: 8687
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by stoptothink »

FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
The social connectedness is a benefit to some (mostly those who have a difficult time exercising on their own), it is a detriment to others. I'm with you.
lazydavid
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by lazydavid »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 am The social connectedness is a benefit to some (mostly those who have a difficult time exercising on their own), it is a detriment to others. I'm with you.
I think the auto-upload to fitness-focused services like Strava and Fitbit is great for logging and tracking your exercise. But then again, I have a total of 5 or 6 "friends" between those two services combined, and they're there for the exact same reason I am, so I would be surprised if it would annoy them--especially since they would have to actively go looking for it. I can totally see why spamming facebook would get obnoxious fast.
bampf
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by bampf »

FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
Isn't that sort of the whole thing with social media though? Hey, look at me, look what I did, look at how wonderful my selfies are? To be clear I agree with you, but, that is why I have largely disavowed all social media. I don't know that the company is triggering the fomo, this seems largely to be a manifestation of the "look at me" culture that social media fosters.
User avatar
queso
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by queso »

bampf wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:43 am
FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
Isn't that sort of the whole thing with social media though? Hey, look at me, look what I did, look at how wonderful my selfies are? To be clear I agree with you, but, that is why I have largely disavowed all social media. I don't know that the company is triggering the fomo, this seems largely to be a manifestation of the "look at me" culture that social media fosters.
This. I don't see this as any different than the other yardsticks used on social media (vacations, cars, houses, cute cats, smartest kids, etc.). Now that I think about it, tying it into social media was probably intentional on their part or, if it wasn't, it's a really fortuitous turn of events. If they can intertwine themselves with something that has the addictive power to keep people up all night obsessing over each other's fitness "high scores" and getting so annoyed with it that they go online to complain yet cannot bring themselves to stop using it then they are on to something. I knew I should have bought PTON. :(
ginstwin
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by ginstwin »

bampf wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:01 pm
ginstwin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:19 pm
rich126 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:10 pm
davebo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm
Old Guy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm Canceled my Peloton. It was due on 12.28. On 12.24 I received two emails with different order/activation numbers telling me it would arrive as planned. I was told I would get a call the day before telling when I could expect it. I received no call. On 12.28 I called to find out arrival time. A recorded message told me it was too early to call but they didn’t tell me what there hours were. When I reached them I was told that it wouldn’t arrive until February. I canceled.

I realize their production issues but they were unprofessional. Very customer unfriendly.
I think I hear stories like this much more than I hear people that love the Peloton. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks if it's equipment you'll use, but those kind of experiences would scare me away. If you're spending that amount of money, I'd expect white glove service. It's just a bike after all and with Amazon coming out with their Fitness+ app, competition will only get more fierce.
My understanding is that if engagement with a training is what someone wants, you can take those classes while using a non-Peloton bike. A few weeks ago I was reading a bunch of reviews on various bikes.

In my case I have no interest at all in online training/instructors, etc. I know others find it useful.

Cynically I find this stuff to be mostly a fad and another way for people to get an expensive subscription service but if you do use it and lose weight, that is good. I had a coworker who bought an electronically assisted bike and was going to ride it to/from work. I figured it was all talk since he was at least mid 40s, out of shape and talked too much. To his credit he kept it up for a few years, slowly dialed down the assisted pedaling and lost weight and got off his medicines for BP and cholesterol. (I only say a few years because I ended up leaving the company so I don't know how long it continued.)
I have had my bike 6 years. I didnt really exercise much at all prior to my purchase. I am now at 1500 rides . I recently tested positive for Corona and recovered pretty quickly. I am certain that was down to my level of fitness . I only ride with one instructor and I am motivated continually by her and to be honest I am extremely grateful to what she has given me.
Nice! I also ride with only one. Christine is awesome. Who is your favorite?
Jenn Sherman. I know her quite well , she is awesome and her playlists are off the charts. A really genuine nice person and a great instructor.
FamilyMan
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by FamilyMan »

queso wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:00 pm
bampf wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:43 am
FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
Isn't that sort of the whole thing with social media though? Hey, look at me, look what I did, look at how wonderful my selfies are? To be clear I agree with you, but, that is why I have largely disavowed all social media. I don't know that the company is triggering the fomo, this seems largely to be a manifestation of the "look at me" culture that social media fosters.
This. I don't see this as any different than the other yardsticks used on social media (vacations, cars, houses, cute cats, smartest kids, etc.). Now that I think about it, tying it into social media was probably intentional on their part or, if it wasn't, it's a really fortuitous turn of events. If they can intertwine themselves with something that has the addictive power to keep people up all night obsessing over each other's fitness "high scores" and getting so annoyed with it that they go online to complain yet cannot bring themselves to stop using it then they are on to something. I knew I should have bought PTON. :(

Good thoughts and point taken. Maybe I’ll add the goal of less social media usage in 2021. I should be doing more exercising anyways. 😀
User avatar
queso
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by queso »

FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:08 pm
queso wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:00 pm
bampf wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:43 am
FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
Isn't that sort of the whole thing with social media though? Hey, look at me, look what I did, look at how wonderful my selfies are? To be clear I agree with you, but, that is why I have largely disavowed all social media. I don't know that the company is triggering the fomo, this seems largely to be a manifestation of the "look at me" culture that social media fosters.
This. I don't see this as any different than the other yardsticks used on social media (vacations, cars, houses, cute cats, smartest kids, etc.). Now that I think about it, tying it into social media was probably intentional on their part or, if it wasn't, it's a really fortuitous turn of events. If they can intertwine themselves with something that has the addictive power to keep people up all night obsessing over each other's fitness "high scores" and getting so annoyed with it that they go online to complain yet cannot bring themselves to stop using it then they are on to something. I knew I should have bought PTON. :(
Good thoughts and point taken. Maybe I’ll add the goal of less social media usage in 2021. I should be doing more exercising anyways. 😀
On the bright side, you can post some videos of doing pushups and probably destroy their high scores. If they spend all their time pedaling their noodle arms will be no match for you. :happy
ccf
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by ccf »

ginstwin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Jenn Sherman. I know her quite well , she is awesome and her playlists are off the charts. A really genuine nice person and a great instructor.

I choose classes based on the music and Jenn is my favorite too :)
ginstwin
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by ginstwin »

ccf wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:13 pm
ginstwin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Jenn Sherman. I know her quite well , she is awesome and her playlists are off the charts. A really genuine nice person and a great instructor.

I choose classes based on the music and Jenn is my favorite too :)
Her music cant be beaten !. My LB name is GinsTwin if you want to follow me I will follow you back .
lightheir
Posts: 2539
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by lightheir »

FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
While I too am mildly annoyed by the self-aggrandizement of such social media (I don't even use my FB account anymore or any other social media, and I'm not an luddite by any stretch!), I will say that I am more than happy not only to tolerate it, but to ENCOURAGE it if it means that it's motivating people to keep up with active lifestyles, improve their health, and have a lot fun while doing it!

Good on all those users who have finally found something that gets them into a regular healthy exercise lifestyle habit. The peloton isn't for everyone, and yes, it's pricey and has its annoying social media quirks, but I'll say it's overall a good thing if it gets people going.

For sure, the userbase seems to be very different from the 'outdoor cyclist' community, so it's not like they're just transferring active cyclists from one type to another. Most of the Peloton users I know of were pretty inactive in exercise before getting theirs.
stoptothink
Posts: 8687
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by stoptothink »

lightheir wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:21 pm
FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
While I too am mildly annoyed by the self-aggrandizement of such social media (I don't even use my FB account anymore or any other social media, and I'm not an luddite by any stretch!), I will say that I am more than happy not only to tolerate it, but to ENCOURAGE it if it means that it's motivating people to keep up with active lifestyles, improve their health, and have a lot fun while doing it!

Good on all those users who have finally found something that gets them into a regular healthy exercise lifestyle habit. The peloton isn't for everyone, and yes, it's pricey and has its annoying social media quirks, but I'll say it's overall a good thing if it gets people going.

For sure, the userbase seems to be very different from the 'outdoor cyclist' community, so it's not like they're just transferring active cyclists from one type to another. Most of the Peloton users I know of were pretty inactive in exercise before getting theirs.
100% agree. It is not for me and is kind of a running joke in the cycling community, but it is obviously encouraging people who normally wouldn't exercise to do so. Nothing wrong with that.
User avatar
queso
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by queso »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:28 pm
lightheir wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:21 pm
FamilyMan wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 am A subtle request to Peloton owners from a guy who doesn’t own one. My social media accounts are filled with Peloton owners bragging about their most recent ride. Up at 4 am, “personal best time”, top 10% of leader board, etc. And my friends seem obligated to take a screen shot and circle that they finished 189 out of 4532 riders. Like they’re Lance Armstrong vying for the yellow jersey.

This company seems to strive on customers bragging to others and “The fear of missing out” concept if not using this indoor bike.

The rest of us non-riders don’t care that instructor Stephanie is a great leader to a Beatles tribute ride on a rural mountain road. I don’t brag about my push ups or sit ups on my carpet in my living room.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...
While I too am mildly annoyed by the self-aggrandizement of such social media (I don't even use my FB account anymore or any other social media, and I'm not an luddite by any stretch!), I will say that I am more than happy not only to tolerate it, but to ENCOURAGE it if it means that it's motivating people to keep up with active lifestyles, improve their health, and have a lot fun while doing it!

Good on all those users who have finally found something that gets them into a regular healthy exercise lifestyle habit. The peloton isn't for everyone, and yes, it's pricey and has its annoying social media quirks, but I'll say it's overall a good thing if it gets people going.

For sure, the userbase seems to be very different from the 'outdoor cyclist' community, so it's not like they're just transferring active cyclists from one type to another. Most of the Peloton users I know of were pretty inactive in exercise before getting theirs.
100% agree. It is not for me and is kind of a running joke in the cycling community, but it is obviously encouraging people who normally wouldn't exercise to do so. Nothing wrong with that.
That long running series of memes was pretty hysterical too.
User avatar
queso
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by queso »

Good timing...just got the CEO's end of year email. He specifically mentions integrations with social media and also addresses the shipping and delivery issues.



Dear Members,

2020 has been a year like no other. Every day has brought new challenges. At times, it’s been incredibly trying. It’s been unpredictable. It’s been exhausting. I sincerely hope that Peloton has been able to play a meaningful role in your life and served as a source of positivity during this unusual year.

More than ever, we are grateful for you, our Members. You are the inspiration for everything we do, and our teams have been working tirelessly to continue to make your experience better and your Peloton Membership the best value. In 2020 we have:

Added five new instructors to our world-class roster: Adrian Williams and Chelsea Jackson Roberts here in the U.S., and Erik Jäger, Cliff Dwenger and Mayla Wedekind in Germany

Pivoted to produce classes live from instructors' homes in the midst of the pandemic with incredible support from our community
Introduced a variety of new class types
• Fun new ways to work up a sweat with Dance Cardio and Fit Family
• The ability to build strength with barre and Pilates
• The combination of cardio and strength both in one class with Bike Bootcamp

Brought you additional features
• Tags to bring sub-communities to life which inspired our We All Have Our Reasons brand campaign which highlighted real Members and their Tags
• A non-binary gender identity option to empower Members to express themselves authentically
• Instagram story sharing to allow you to share your workout in an engaging and animated way

Continued to introduce new platforms to experience Peloton with Android TV, Roku and Apple TV (especially useful for getting the entire household working out together)

Found ways to give back
• Pledged $1M to offer two months of Membership free to Members facing financial hardship at the start of the pandemic
• Gifted 100 Bikes to hospitals and healthcare professionals through The Comeback program
• Donated $500,000 to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
• Donated $1M during Pelothon to Food Bank for New York City (U.S.), The Trussell Trust (U.K.), The Tafel (Germany) and Daily Bread Food Bank (Canada)

Created new partnerships to keep you engaged
• Introduced Peloton x Beyoncé with Artist Series classes and gifted two-year Peloton Digital memberships to students at 10 Historically Black Colleges and Universities
• Partnered with professional athletes to compete during our ESPN All-Star rides and shared Alex Toussaint’s Last Dance Ride to celebrate the music from their docuseries
• Embarked on a Year of Yes for 2021 with prolific executive producer, author and creator Shonda Rhimes
Expanded our branded apparel offering to include outerwear, more inclusive sizes and more styles of high-quality athleisure wear

We also, importantly and unequivocally, stated that Black Lives Matter and committed ourselves to fighting for racial justice and equality with the Peloton Pledge. This is a social issue that I care about deeply. We all have a part to play, and I am committed to ensuring that Peloton is an anti-racist organization and that we do our part in helping eliminate racism in our broader communities. We increased the hourly wages of our workforce and have been investing in numerous initiatives focused on diversity, equity and belonging, including Learning and Development programs that I’ve been a part of along with our senior leadership team.

I also want to take a moment to acknowledge the challenges we faced as a company this year. The pandemic has accelerated a permanent shift to working out from home which led to incredibly high demand which has not subsided. I realize the impact this has potentially had on your experience as a Member with shipping delays and unexpected rescheduling of deliveries caused by unprecedented disruptions to everything from our supply chain to our last-mile logistics. It pains me that we have not always delivered the experience that we believe you deserve from us. We are working tirelessly to increase our manufacturing capabilities and expand our delivery and support teams, and we thank you for your patience.

Our goal is to constantly add value to your Membership, which we’ll continue to do in 2021 with exciting content, including new Artist Series classes and introducing some great new features which I think you’ll love.

A big thank you for your continued support of Peloton. Our Members and the community is our True North, and you continue to inspire all that we do. Together, we are one Peloton.

Happy holidays,

John Foley
CEO and Co-Founder
Post Reply