Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jhfenton

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by jhfenton »

We bought a Concept2 Bike Erg during the pandemic to complement our Concept2 Model D RowErg. It was $990, plus the cost of pedals and shoes (x2). I still prefer to ride outside when I can, but I don't like the feel of riding my bike on the trainer, and my wife doesn't have a good bike at all. With my downtown gym membership at $50/month gone, we'll break even in less than 2 years. (We also have a really nice Landice L7 treadmill.)
White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm Jogging is only cheap until you start getting interested in traveling to races. I can't believe what some joggers drop on qualifying for and going to Boston every year!
If you're qualifying for Boston every year, you're not a jogger; you're a runner. :beer (Jogging is what you do during the rest intervals in between repeats during speed work.)

But you're right about traveling adding to the expense of running. I'm 30 states into running a marathon in every state. That takes running out of the dirt-cheap sport category.

Most trips, though, aren't Boston. I have a tiny marathon in Grand Forks, ND at the end of September, and that is a much cheaper trip than Boston.

I've run Boston twice (2007 and 2008), but I hadn't signed up to run it again until this year. It was supposed to be my first marathon as a 50-year-old. But I generally enjoy small and medium-sized marathons more than the majors, and I seldom repeat marathons. (Since Boston this year was canceled, I'm planning to sign up again for next year.)
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 am All in cost so far for my Peloton bike is $3,611.90. This includes the bike itself, tax, delivery, extended warranty, shoes, and 21 months of service. So substantially more than your treadmill. But my cost per ride is $5.43 and falling. If I include all classes I've taken on the platform, it's $2.86 per class. But that includes a lot of post-ride stretches, so cost per ride is the ROI metric I choose to focus on. This coming from someone who literally never exercised previously. Like I said up top, it's about engagement leading to commitment.
This is great to hear.
MissHavisham

Post by MissHavisham »

Yes! I still enjoy using my Peloton bike 1.5 years into owning it. I use it about the same amount or a little less but not because of the shutdown. I used to ride my Peloton about 5x a week but since January I have cut back to about 3x a week due to following Andy Speer's total strength program.

The first 6 months of owning my Peloton I simply rode it. My favorite instructors are Cody Rigsby b/c he is funny, Alex Toussanit b/c I like his music, and Jess King b/c her rides are hard!

Suddenly, I randomly became interested in the workouts they offer. I absolutely highly recommend Emma Lovewell's crush your core! I keep repeating her classes. I then became interested in weight lifting. Andy Speer has a nice Total Body Strength program where you work on your arms and legs. I love it. I've never been this toned in my life.

I'll do strength training say... M W F and Cardio (bike riding or running) on Tue Thu Sat.

After having the Peloton for a year I had a few dr appt's and when they took my blood pressure they each separately gasped and asked "Are you an athelete?" and I was like no... and they were like b/c your blood pressure is REALLy good. So riding the actual bike will do your inside body really good, but not so much tone.

Good Luck and enjoy your bike! Don't forget to email them to request your free T shirt once you've hit 100 rides.

In my opinion getting a Peloton was one of the best investments for my health.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 am My recommendation is to not tell any of your friends or family that you bought one of these things.
Why is that?
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
IMO

Post by IMO »

I'm curious, why are people using these more during the Covid shutdown? Isn't it more appealing to get outside in the fresh air on a real bike?

Not knocking that people get into shape with this or other indoor exercise equipment, but seems odd to not want to actually get outside and exercise.
z91

Post by z91 »

IMO wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 pm I'm curious, why are people using these more during the Covid shutdown? Isn't it more appealing to get outside in the fresh air on a real bike?

Not knocking that people get into shape with this or other indoor exercise equipment, but seems odd to not want to actually get outside and exercise.
Maybe you live in a very bike safe area, but I don't. Cars are simply too aggressive around here, and it's not changing, even with bike lanes.

If I wanted to get a bike ride in where I legitimately sweat, I'd have to go to the gym which is not open, load my bike on the car and drive out to a trail (which I only have time to do on weekends), or bike on my Peloton. By the time I get to a trail I'd be done with my Peloton ride. I use it 5x/week and am lucky to have a window right next to where my head is, so I still get fresh air :D

I can also do it all year round. If it's raining/snowing, biking outdoors is exponentially more dangerous.
silverlitegs

Post by silverlitegs »

h2osmosis wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:06 pm My wife and I bought our first one in January 2017(Gen 1). Used the crap out of it. We just bought a new one(Gen 3). We bought both of our used but in brand new condition on Craigslist. We paid $1500 for our first one(and just sold it for $1400) and $1500 for our second one. There are deals to be had if you are patient on CL and FB Market Place. Just throwing that out there for those who dont want to pay full price.

I road ride all spring/summer/fall weather permitting and used to go to the YMCA in the winter to spin classes on THEIR schedule. Now I get to ride on MY schedule and when the weather sucks. Power Zone rides with Matt Wilpers or Dennis Morten are my personal favorite along with the Pro Cyclist rides.

It does get to be like anything else at times where it takes will power to get on it and go. Will yourself through those days/weeks. On some of those days I just mute the instructor and pump my own music or watch TV.
You got VERY lucky to get a used Gen 3 for 1500. All people that had Gen 3 for sale in my area, laughed at a 1500 offer.
queso

Post by queso »

z91 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:09 am
IMO wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 pm I'm curious, why are people using these more during the Covid shutdown? Isn't it more appealing to get outside in the fresh air on a real bike?

Maybe you live in a very bike safe area, but I don't. Cars are simply too aggressive around here, and it's not changing, even with bike lanes.

If I wanted to get a bike ride in where I legitimately sweat, I'd have to go to the gym which is not open, load my bike on the car and drive out to a trail (which I only have time to do on weekends), or bike on my Peloton. By the time I get to a trail I'd be done with my Peloton ride. I use it 5x/week and am lucky to have a window right next to where my head is, so I still get fresh air :D

I can also do it all year round. If it's raining/snowing, biking outdoors is exponentially more dangerous.
This. I stopped biking on public roads years ago. It was barely safe before, but with almost all the drivers fiddling with phones I had to stop. I have a great trail system that I can ride to from my house, but it's too congested with everybody getting outside. There isn't room to pass other cyclists, runners, walkers, etc. by 6' due to trail width so I am effectively riding through everyone's exhaled breath and it is harder breathing due to them running, etc. Since they are outside mask use is limited (esp runners). I can go further out or take my MTB out, but that involves loading it on my car and driving to a different trail system which I don't really have time for during the week.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

There is a lot of value in getting outside, but, there are also downsides as compared to the Peloton or any other indoor cardio equipment.

Riding on the road with cars is dangerous, and has been greatly exacerbated by the explosion of Stupidphone use in the last 20 years or so. Studies have shown that a driver using a Stupidphone is *more* impaired than a driver whose blood alcohol level is just over the legal limit. I used to be a dedicated road bike rider, but know multiple friends who have been seriously injured by cars. The worst I ever got was a skinned up arm after almost getting clipped by a taxi. I gave up road riding, but still mountain bike.

Another downside is overall efficiency. Loading up the mountain bike and gear, driving to the trailhead, riding, driving back takes a lot more time and isn't appealing in bad weather.

Lastly, workout efficiency. While riding up a hill is great exercise, riding down is not -- but on a stationary bike the resistance can be kept up all or most of the time. When comparing rides by my heart rate logs I find that I can get the same effectiveness from an indoor ride in maybe 60-70% of the time of an outdoor ride.
Tiresias1

Post by Tiresias1 »

After three years, I consider our Peloton among the best purchases of my life. My wife and I each use it 4-5 times a week, and even before the pandemic, it helped us manage stress and live healthier. I particularly recommend it to working parents and/or single parents. My wife and I both work pretty hard, and we live in an area where, at least during the winter, it is not realistic to consistently exercise outside in the morning before our kids wake up. Peloton allows us to each get in a (surprisingly vigorous) 20 minute workout before our little ones rise. Also, when one of us travels for work, Peloton allows the other one to continue exercising regularly. I've learned that I can get in a 30 minute ride and shower in the time of two Sesame Street episodes. Admittedly, any home exercise equipment could provide this benefit, but Peloton seems to stick for a lot of people.

Another piece of connected fitness equipment that I recommend is Tonal, which essentially aspires to be the Peloton of strength training. This equipment is quite expensive, so I would not recommend it to everyone for that reason, but it's a more ingenious device than my Peloton. I've found the combination of both Tonal and Peloton better than either device individually. Among other things, having both devices also allows my wife and I to exercise simultaneously in the mornings - we used to argue about who got to go first (with both of us preferring to go second so that we could stay in bed, of course).
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

kjvmartin wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 am I remember when my wife had to have a treadmill.

We went to Sears. I asked the salesman how long one typically lasts. He said "forever.... since no one really uses it after they buy it."

$750. We finally gave it to some friends when we moved. They have since given it to some of their friends.
And that's the n=1. My treadmill got used so much I wore out every single part of it except the frame - motor, circuit board, console x 2, deck x 2, and rollers. TMs are great equipment and i've seen polls saying that they are the most regularly used of purchased exercise equipment, although I don't think Peloton was included in those polls.

I also find all the folks who recommend Peloton buyers to just buy a "bike trainer + road bike" totally misguided. Most folks who buy the Peloton are NOT interested in becoming outdoor road cyclists. They just want a low-impact, fun, coached aerobic workout. With supreme convenience, and some elegant design to boot. Totally opposite of what an aspiring road cyclist wants, which is typically to prioritize outdoor riding and only go indoors if they are forced to due to weather or darkness.
z91

Post by z91 »

n=2 here for treadmill

It makes way too much noise and takes up a ridiculous amount of space. Luckily we bought at Costco and they took it back no questions asked, even had a freight truck come by and load it up. Took the guy 30 minutes to get it into the truck.

People either love treadmills or hate them, but most people I know that bought one gave it away or sold it.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

We have two toddlers so it's been harder and harder to get good, quick workouts lately. If my spouse says she wants a Peloton Bike, I am all in.

Thanks for the comments.
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

I don't have one but those that I know who do really like it .Its a great bike and program for those who want the format . Enjoy
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

z91 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:54 pm n=2 here for treadmill

It makes way too much noise and takes up a ridiculous amount of space. Luckily we bought at Costco and they took it back no questions asked, even had a freight truck come by and load it up. Took the guy 30 minutes to get it into the truck.

People either love treadmills or hate them, but most people I know that bought one gave it away or sold it.
Most people who want good exercise equipment probably aren't shopping at costco or sears. You get the aspirational people (I would exercise if I just had the right machine) more than the people who actual do exercise. Compare the used market for concept rowers versus the cheaper ones to see this difference.

The good thing about pelotons is if you change your mind and it becomes a clothes hanger, the resale value is pretty darn high right now (and the past year)
stlbrucefan

Post by stlbrucefan »

MissHavisham wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 pm Yes! I still enjoy using my Peloton bike 1.5 years into owning it. I use it about the same amount or a little less but not because of the shutdown. I used to ride my Peloton about 5x a week but since January I have cut back to about 3x a week due to following Andy Speer's total strength program.

The first 6 months of owning my Peloton I simply rode it. My favorite instructors are Cody Rigsby b/c he is funny, Alex Toussanit b/c I like his music, and Jess King b/c her rides are hard!

Suddenly, I randomly became interested in the workouts they offer. I absolutely highly recommend Emma Lovewell's crush your core! I keep repeating her classes. I then became interested in weight lifting. Andy Speer has a nice Total Body Strength program where you work on your arms and legs. I love it. I've never been this toned in my life.

I'll do strength training say... M W F and Cardio (bike riding or running) on Tue Thu Sat.

After having the Peloton for a year I had a few dr appt's and when they took my blood pressure they each separately gasped and asked "Are you an athelete?" and I was like no... and they were like b/c your blood pressure is REALLy good. So riding the actual bike will do your inside body really good, but not so much tone.

Good Luck and enjoy your bike! Don't forget to email them to request your free T shirt once you've hit 100 rides.

In my opinion getting a Peloton was one of the best investments for my health.
Your story is very similar to ours. We bought our bike right at the beginning of the lockdowns, and (so far) it has totally changed our workout lives. We wife and I are working out 5-6 days a week, both on the bike and other workouts at they offer on their app. Yes, it is definitely expensive, but it is essentially the same cost as we were paying for a family gym membership that we each used maybe twice a week. It's been a wonderful purchase for us! And now that the Peloton app is available on Roku, you can do a bike workout, flip on the TV, and follow any other workout you'd like.
huntertheory

Post by huntertheory »

Has anyone had a peloton delivered during the COVID-19 pandemic? We understand they won't come into your home to install, and will instead assemble it basically outside. We were hoping to put one on our third floor -- anyone had any experience with having it delivered and then carrying it to another room (including up stairs)?
stlbrucefan

Post by stlbrucefan »

huntertheory wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am Has anyone had a peloton delivered during the COVID-19 pandemic? We understand they won't come into your home to install, and will instead assemble it basically outside. We were hoping to put one on our third floor -- anyone had any experience with having it delivered and then carrying it to another room (including up stairs)?
We had ours delivered during the pandemic. You are correct, they did not come into the house. They installed it outside our front door and answered our questions. My brother in-law and I carried it upstairs. It is heavy, but definitely doable with two people. I would check with them though, their policy might be different. We had ours delivered back in March.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Interesting thread, and we've been thinking of getting an exercise bike to help substitute for our gym memberships, which DW and I used very actively before the pandemic. We already have a lower-end Precor elliptical machine, which is getting good use, but I think it might be time to replace it after 6 or 7 years.

We are definitely thinking about a Peloton splurge, but I think we might end up with one of the lower cost alternatives, like the Bowflex C6:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... e-you-buy/
z91

Post by z91 »

randomguy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:48 pm
z91 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:54 pm n=2 here for treadmill

Most people who want good exercise equipment probably aren't shopping at costco or sears. You get the aspirational people (I would exercise if I just had the right machine) more than the people who actual do exercise. Compare the used market for concept rowers versus the cheaper ones to see this difference.

The good thing about pelotons is if you change your mind and it becomes a clothes hanger, the resale value is pretty darn high right now (and the past year)
So, yeah, we are actual exercisers (I mentioned we have a Peloton I use 5x/week). We did a lot of research on the treadmill and got a NordicTrack that cost ~2k from Costco because they had the best price and return policy. Like many things, it's no longer sold on Costco but it was actually a high quality one that had excellent reviews. Even though the machine was quiet, having someone "jump" up and down inside the house to get a jog going is noisy no matter what, so we got rid of it. The footprint was also huge compared to the Peloton. Thanks for the shade though.
FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 »

Tiresias1 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:34 pm After three years, I consider our Peloton among the best purchases of my life. My wife and I each use it 4-5 times a week, and even before the pandemic, it helped us manage stress and live healthier. I particularly recommend it to working parents and/or single parents. My wife and I both work pretty hard, and we live in an area where, at least during the winter, it is not realistic to consistently exercise outside in the morning before our kids wake up. Peloton allows us to each get in a (surprisingly vigorous) 20 minute workout before our little ones rise. Also, when one of us travels for work, Peloton allows the other one to continue exercising regularly. I've learned that I can get in a 30 minute ride and shower in the time of two Sesame Street episodes. Admittedly, any home exercise equipment could provide this benefit, but Peloton seems to stick for a lot of people.

Another piece of connected fitness equipment that I recommend is Tonal, which essentially aspires to be the Peloton of strength training. This equipment is quite expensive, so I would not recommend it to everyone for that reason, but it's a more ingenious device than my Peloton. I've found the combination of both Tonal and Peloton better than either device individually. Among other things, having both devices also allows my wife and I to exercise simultaneously in the mornings - we used to argue about who got to go first (with both of us preferring to go second so that we could stay in bed, of course).
You nailed it. I've gotten my rides down to a science from when I can start a show for my young kids, and finish in time before they start roaming around aimlessly. I agree with you first sentence, one of the best purchases of my life without question.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

The main issue is bikes vs. ellipticals as I see it.

There were Pelotons at my gym and I tried them, but I much preferred the solid feel and smooth, long stride of the Precor ellipticals I had been using for many years (various high end models). I recommend Precor ellipticals to anyone looking for a home exercise machine.
The Peleton bike felt cheap and unsturdy compared to the Precor machines.
(I know there are other brands besides Precor, but that's all I am most familiar with.)

I know I am comparing bikes and ellipticals, but I strongly suggest you try both types of machines to see which you like.
The gyms I went to for decades seemed to replace all the bikes with ellipticals. The elliptical is much easier on my knees and I never had any physical problem from them. Just about everybody mainly used the ellipticals in the various gyms I used over the years.

I got the impression that stationary bikes are kind of obsolete, the the Schwinn Airdynes that used to be common 30+ years ago. I don't know why Peloton focuses on stationary bikes, which IMHO is an outdated technology.

I sure would not buy a stationary bike unless I really liked this type of machine. I would cancel my order until you see what kind of machine you like.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

DW bought a Schwinn IC4 in Feb (timed luckily before COVID wiped out easy/cheap supply) for ~$800ish (one of the lower priced magnetic resistance bikes, I believe)
Uses the Peloton App with it. Cheaper initial investment, cheaper monthly rate. Doesn't care about "leaderboard" etc stuff. Quite happy with the functionality.

We've realized that our hangboard isn't enough, so I've repurposed some items into climbing/forearm related training/weights. Not missing the rock gym, except for the socializing with friends aspect. Good time to have previously invested in a home workout setup!
*12oz curls* :sharebeer
Mako

Post by Mako »

surfstar wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:05 pm DW bought a Schwinn IC4 in Feb (timed luckily before COVID wiped out easy/cheap supply) for ~$800ish (one of the lower priced magnetic resistance bikes, I believe)
Uses the Peloton App with it. Cheaper initial investment, cheaper monthly rate. Doesn't care about "leaderboard" etc stuff. Quite happy with the functionality.

We've realized that our hangboard isn't enough, so I've repurposed some items into climbing/forearm related training/weights. Not missing the rock gym, except for the socializing with friends aspect. Good time to have previously invested in a home workout setup!
*12oz curls* :sharebeer
I’ve been thinking of going this route. Seems more bogleheadish—get like 80% of the value for 40% of the cost, or whatever the numbers might be. I also don’t think I’d care about the leaderboard type stuff. I use my treadmill for hundreds of miles a year but as I’ve passed 40 I’m starting to get more nagging injuries and biking is a little less impact.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

stlbrucefan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 am
huntertheory wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am Has anyone had a peloton delivered during the COVID-19 pandemic? We understand they won't come into your home to install, and will instead assemble it basically outside. We were hoping to put one on our third floor -- anyone had any experience with having it delivered and then carrying it to another room (including up stairs)?
We had ours delivered during the pandemic. You are correct, they did not come into the house. They installed it outside our front door and answered our questions. My brother in-law and I carried it upstairs. It is heavy, but definitely doable with two people. I would check with them though, their policy might be different. We had ours delivered back in March.
Good to know. I was wondering if they would actually come in and set up the bike for us.
MissHavisham

Post by MissHavisham »

CardinalRule wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:24 am
The Peloton is much smoother. I can't explain it but it is just a smoother ride.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

MissHavisham wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:48 am
The Peloton is much smoother. I can't explain it but it is just a smoother ride.
It really is. A friend has one of the cheaper bikes. There really is no comparison in the ride. I realize not everyone is going to shell out $2,000+ for Peloton but I've found it to e well worth it. We've had ours for going on 3 years now and still use it 4-5 days a week.

Now I want a good rower. Any suggestions?
Johnnyappleseed

Post by Johnnyappleseed »

<3 Peloton!

I had never done a spin class before I bought the bike used around October of last year. A change in my life meant I was no longer able to attend my normal CrossFit classes. I was concerned how much I would use it, but figured I wouldn't lose much if I had to resell the bike (again). It has been a GREAT purchase!

Everyone who points out that you can find the same or better equipment for less money is correct, but it's the combination of the equipment and the classes (I don't bother with the live classes) that make this a winner. It won't be for everyone, but I suspect a large number of people who purchase will find it well worth it. An anecdotal story would be a friend who bought at the same time bought an Echelon bike. It has been used 3 times since purchase.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

We got delivery this past Monday. I believe depending upon where you are, they'll come in or not. We're in NJ and they did bring it inside and downstairs to our basement. Tried my first ever ride on Tue - I have to say, they make a good product. My wife has taken to it quickly.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

RJC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pm We have two toddlers so it's been harder and harder to get good, quick workouts lately. If my spouse says she wants a Peloton Bike, I am all in.

Thanks for the comments.
In case someone else hasn’t said this already, be aware that the wheel is in the front and is exposed. I suspect a kid could get a serious burn if they touch it while in use. Our youngest is 3, and they’re both really good about following the rule of keeping off the black exercise mat the bike sits on, but thought I’d flag in case relevant. I’ve done plenty of rides with the kids playing legos on the floor in front of me, which works great, until they start fighting when I’m in the hardest part of the ride!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:25 pm
RJC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pm We have two toddlers so it's been harder and harder to get good, quick workouts lately. If my spouse says she wants a Peloton Bike, I am all in.

Thanks for the comments.
In case someone else hasn’t said this already, be aware that the wheel is in the front and is exposed. I suspect a kid could get a serious burn if they touch it while in use. Our youngest is 3, and they’re both really good about following the rule of keeping off the black exercise mat the bike sits on, but thought I’d flag in case relevant. I’ve done plenty of rides with the kids playing legos on the floor in front of me, which works great, until they start fighting when I’m in the hardest part of the ride!
Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out. We'll probably put the bike facing a corner of the wall (more window light) to prevent this.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

RJC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am
Elysium wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:46 am
RJC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:27 am Dear friends,

After months of staying in and working out at home, we decided to get a Peloton bike.

For those that have one, do you still enjoy using it? Have you used it more during the shutdowns?

I have a road bike w/ Shimano 105 pedals. Will I be able to use the same shoes?

Any recommendations for a 1st time user would be greatly appreciated.
You should have just paired your road bike with 105 onto a Wahoo trainer for half the price of Peleton then get Zwift for $15 a month instead of $50 or whatever Peleton is charging. Then upgrade your road bike to Ultegra :wink:

The added benefit is when your other bike goes for repair or gets a flat just before you want to go out, you can take out the bike from trainer and put it on the road. Then you have two road bikes, peleton can't do a thing other than just sit there. But, it is a good thing I hear for those who like spin classes.
I actually did that for a while (Zwift + Wahoo KICKR SNAP). This is more for my wife but I will be using it as well.
So you need two Wahoos? I could imagine using our own bikes on trainers that we can put in front of the big screen TV and workout together or watch TV while riding. Now that there is good weather, we'll just go outside, but considering this for the winter. I have one old cycleops trainer, and it works fine except it is relatively loud for watching TV through normal speakers, and I have to turn off the house heat, so I don't get heat blasting on me while I ride indoors (again, assuming a winter indoor riding season).
Kenny911

Post by Kenny911 »

I've had my Peloton bike for about 15 months and love it. Yeah its expensive (And whoever is saying it doesn't come with pedals has no idea what they're talking about), and you have to pay $39 a month for classes but you can't put a price on health. I used to be a runner but I started to get pain in my knees and ankles and realized my body was telling me to do something else. I do classes but I also just do the freestyle one where I will ride for 45-50 minutes. I switch it up with weights but its a very nice piece of equipment and super user friendly. If your bike turned into an expensive clothes hanger then its on you, not the equipment.
Vihoo

Post by Vihoo »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 am
Vihoo wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:31 pm Once the cheaper machines (lower priced bike and treadmill) drop - it's gameover.
They're going to release a cheaper treadmill and a more expensive bike. They are pursuing a "Better, Best" strategy, and the models currently for sale are the "Better" bike and the "Best" treadmill.
No. Like I said...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieport ... c21b996745

https://www.businessinsider.com/peloton ... ase-2020-5
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

The manufacturer of said equipment disagrees with you, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

RJC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:05 am
kjvmartin wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 am I remember when my wife had to have a treadmill.

We went to Sears. I asked the salesman how long one typically lasts. He said "forever.... since no one really uses it after they buy it."

$750. We finally gave it to some friends when we moved. They have since given it to some of their friends.
The gift that keeps on giving!

We cancelled our somewhat pricey gym membership so if we use the bike for 10 months or so, it will be worth it.
Yes my wife and I don't feel comfortable going to gyms. So we may get a treadmill before winter weather.
Vihoo

Post by Vihoo »

lazydavid wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:10 am
The manufacturer of said equipment disagrees with you, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Disagrees with me? You mean disagreeing with the CEO & Founder of the company? :oops:

Except that the article you cited further supports what the CEO said, "Among them, Peloton is expected to announce a new design early in the third quarter of 2020, for treadmills and flywheel bikes that will be equipped with 23.8-inch touch displays, benefiting from the lower price of US$2,000 to US$3,000 and the incentives of smaller size."

:o
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Vihoo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:36 pm Except that the article you cited further supports what the CEO said, "Among them, Peloton is expected to announce a new design early in the third quarter of 2020, for treadmills and flywheel bikes that will be equipped with 23.8-inch touch displays, benefiting from the lower price of US$2,000 to US$3,000 and the incentives of smaller size."
Um, you do know that the existing bike costs $2000 (plus a mandatory $250 install fee which they've recently integrated into the price) and has a 21.5" screen, so a price range of $2000-3000 and a larger 23.8" screen does not represent a lower-end model, right?

If you want to talk lower-end, that quote certainly lines up with the upcoming lower-cost treadmill, which will have a smaller screen than the current 32" (sounds like the 23.8" screen will be common to the less-expensive treadmill and more-expensive bike), and trade out the pricey slatted belt for a traditional band.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Kenny911 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:57 pm I've had my Peloton bike for about 15 months and love it. Yeah its expensive (And whoever is saying it doesn't come with pedals has no idea what they're talking about), and you have to pay $39 a month for classes but you can't put a price on health. I used to be a runner but I started to get pain in my knees and ankles and realized my body was telling me to do something else. I do classes but I also just do the freestyle one where I will ride for 45-50 minutes. I switch it up with weights but its a very nice piece of equipment and super user friendly. If your bike turned into an expensive clothes hanger then its on you, not the equipment.
Agree. If I am paying 2k for the bike and $39 a month, I will force myself to be on it regularly.
Riztime

Post by Riztime »

I ordered one over the weekend. The pandemic has really done a number on inventory because the earliest delivery date is October for me. Guess I’ll be keeping my gym membership which I was hoping to Eliminate until then.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Riztime wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 pm I ordered one over the weekend. The pandemic has really done a number on inventory because the earliest delivery date is October for me. Guess I’ll be keeping my gym membership which I was hoping to Eliminate until then.
Keep calling the scheduling service every couple of days and asking about cancellations. You might get lucky and get someone else's earlier spot.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

MDfan wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:51 am
MissHavisham wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:48 am
It really is. A friend has one of the cheaper bikes. There really is no comparison in the ride. I realize not everyone is going to shell out $2,000+ for Peloton but I've found it to e well worth it. We've had ours for going on 3 years now and still use it 4-5 days a week.

Now I want a good rower. Any suggestions?
Hydrow is often called “the peloton of rowing machines” because it is also a well designed, expensive machine with a subscription based on-the-water coaching content delivered through a large screen. There is an amex credit of $440 available on it through early August.

Hard core rowers generally train on (and recommend) concept 2 (does allow competing against others but no video, shipments backlogged 2+ months).

There are other “connected” rowers for home use, like the nordictrack rw900, the city row go, and the ergatta.

Peloton is rumored to be working on its own rowing machine but it seems unlikely to appear before 2021.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Riztime wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 pm I ordered one over the weekend. The pandemic has really done a number on inventory because the earliest delivery date is October for me. Guess I’ll be keeping my gym membership which I was hoping to Eliminate until then.
Ours is supposed to take about 3 weeks and we ordered it about a week ago. Maybe it depends on your location as well?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Our bike came in yesterday and I went on my first ride. I really enjoyed it! especially the metrics aspect as I am competitive in that way.

I hope to continue to ride it years from now. Thanks all for your comments and feedback.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

RJC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 am Our bike came in yesterday and I went on my first ride. I really enjoyed it! especially the metrics aspect as I am competitive in that way.

I hope to continue to ride it years from now. Thanks all for your comments and feedback.
Welcome to the club, glad you’re enjoying it!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

My wife uses hers all the time, it was WELL worth it. She's really happy with it. I've used it much less than she has. All in all I feel like we have gotten our money's worth and then some.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

rgs92 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:57 pm The main issue is bikes vs. ellipticals as I see it.

There were Pelotons at my gym and I tried them, but I much preferred the solid feel and smooth, long stride of the Precor ellipticals I had been using for many years (various high end models). I recommend Precor ellipticals to anyone looking for a home exercise machine.
The Peleton bike felt cheap and unsturdy compared to the Precor machines.
(I know there are other brands besides Precor, but that's all I am most familiar with.)

I know I am comparing bikes and ellipticals, but I strongly suggest you try both types of machines to see which you like.
The gyms I went to for decades seemed to replace all the bikes with ellipticals. The elliptical is much easier on my knees and I never had any physical problem from them. Just about everybody mainly used the ellipticals in the various gyms I used over the years.
I also love the ellipticals at my gym, because of the long stride. When Covid came, I looked at a used sporting goods store. I bought a Nordic Trac for $349. I love, love, love it. This model folds up, so when we needed to use the exercise room as a guest room, we could flip up the elliptical and pull down a Murphy bed. The D batteries that power the computer screen died today, but the machine kept working--which is not true of every piece of fitness equipment. Since I knew how long I wanted to work out, I just kept going and replaced the batteries later. But great to know that the mechanics will keep working even if a chip dies.

However, I also ride a real bicycle for most nearby errands.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I used my treadmill so much in 8 years that I wore literally all the parts out - everything except the frame had to be replaced. Good TM too, the Sole F80.
1year23

Post by 1year23 »

I just placed an order for a Peloton bike. I am wondering if original poster bought one and if he is happy with it.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

lazydavid wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:49 pm
Vihoo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:36 pm Except that the article you cited further supports what the CEO said, "Among them, Peloton is expected to announce a new design early in the third quarter of 2020, for treadmills and flywheel bikes that will be equipped with 23.8-inch touch displays, benefiting from the lower price of US$2,000 to US$3,000 and the incentives of smaller size."
Um, you do know that the existing bike costs $2000 (plus a mandatory $250 install fee which they've recently integrated into the price) and has a 21.5" screen, so a price range of $2000-3000 and a larger 23.8" screen does not represent a lower-end model, right?

If you want to talk lower-end, that quote certainly lines up with the upcoming lower-cost treadmill, which will have a smaller screen than the current 32" (sounds like the 23.8" screen will be common to the less-expensive treadmill and more-expensive bike), and trade out the pricey slatted belt for a traditional band.
Like I said, new cheaper treadmill and more expensive bike coming, possibly as soon as next week: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... demic-push
The new treadmill, called Tread, will cost less than $3,000, compared with $4,295 for the current model. It will also be smaller and have a cheaper belt design like most other treadmills on the market versus the current model’s slat design. The existing Peloton treadmill will continue to be sold as the company’s high-end offering and will be renamed the “Tread+,” the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing private product plans.

The new stationary bike will be a premium offering called Bike+, and will likely cost more than the current $2,245 version. Peloton will then drop the price of the existing machine to less than $1,900