Stainless steel appliance cleaner - need recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Stainless steel appliance cleaner - need recommendation

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hello BH's:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, streak-free stainless steel cleaner? Earlier this year I had a Miele dishwasher installed and the brand of cleaner I am using on it streaks really badly (Hope's Perfect Stainless brand) so I would like to try something else.

The bottle of Hope's Perfect Stainless states "100% streak-free" but that is not true. I don't know if Miele uses a different type of stainless steel or not since it works better on my GE fridge (also stainless.)

Thanks in advance. :beer
FiveK

Re: Stainless steel appliance cleaner - need recommendation

Post by FiveK »

One reviewer's opinion: The best stainless steel cleaner in 2020: TriNova, Weiman, and more.

Weiman products have done well for us, but we've hardly conducted rigorous comparison tests. Good luck!
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

The appliance installer for our Sub-Zero fridge and Wolf stove mentioned to always use a mineral-oil based cleaner.

We’ve tried Signature Polish (recommended by Sub-Zero) and a 3M-brand Scotchgard cleaner and both seem to work very well.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Call me crazy but i just dump a little Dawn in a spray bottle with water and go to town. Doesn't seem to streak but I think we have the non streaky stainless if that makes sense.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will give them a try. :happy
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

CorradoJr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 pm The appliance installer for our Sub-Zero fridge and Wolf stove mentioned to always use a mineral-oil based cleaner.

We’ve tried Signature Polish (recommended by Sub-Zero) and a 3M-brand Scotchgard cleaner and both seem to work very well.
+1 for Signature Polish.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 pm I don't know if Miele uses a different type of stainless steel or not since it works better on my GE fridge (also stainless.)
It isn't different types of stainless steel but different finishes to the steel. The smudgeproof stainless steel being marketed generally has heavier brush patterns in the steel which makes them a bit darker and hides the fingerprints better. Personally I just wipe them down first using a grease remover like dawn dish soap and water. Once degreased and any stuck on particles removed, I just use any old stainless steel spray found in the store to remove any streaking.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:03 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 pm I don't know if Miele uses a different type of stainless steel or not since it works better on my GE fridge (also stainless.)
It isn't different types of stainless steel but different finishes to the steel. The smudgeproof stainless steel being marketed generally has heavier brush patterns in the steel which makes them a bit darker and hides the fingerprints better. Personally I just wipe them down first using a grease remover like dawn dish soap and water. Once degreased and any stuck on particles removed, I just use any old stainless steel spray found in the store to remove any streaking.
Interesting, thanks. I think that might be the case with the Miele DW (supposed to hide fingerprints). I will try the dish soap/water, etc. method. :beer
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

Also, be sure to use a damp microfiber cloth for the final wipe down and in-between cleanings. I found that on my stainless Bosch, except for grease or other tough stains, just water on a microfiber cloth got rid of all fingerprints and smudges. I buy microfiber cloths in the bulk package from Costco.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Bar Keepers Friend is available everywhere and works well.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

smackboy1 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 pm Bar Keepers Friend is available everywhere and works well.
Thanks, I've seen that in the store before. :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

notBobToo wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:52 pm Also, be sure to use a damp microfiber cloth for the final wipe down and in-between cleanings. I found that on my stainless Bosch, except for grease or other tough stains, just water on a microfiber cloth got rid of all fingerprints and smudges. I buy microfiber cloths in the bulk package from Costco.
Yes, good tip. I did use a microfiber cloth (which are also great on windows.) :happy
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

Kind of makes you wonder why stainless steel appliances are so popular. They are high maintenance and start looking bad again five minutes after you polish them up. c.f: black cars.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

notBobToo wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:52 pm Also, be sure to use a damp microfiber cloth for the final wipe down and in-between cleanings. I found that on my stainless Bosch, except for grease or other tough stains, just water on a microfiber cloth got rid of all fingerprints and smudges. I buy microfiber cloths in the bulk package from Costco.
I too have had great success with a damp microfiber cloth and then dry with an additional microfiber cloth.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

Just a wee bit of vinegar in water with a microfiber cloth is all you need.
Finnegan

Post by Finnegan »

WD 40 does a nice job on stainless.
Captain_Video

Post by Captain_Video »

+1 for WD 40. It was recommended by the salesman at Lowe's. He said they use it in the store to clean appliances.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I use Weimans spray once a week (just me, no kids). More frequent use on a clean fridge results in a buildup that you can smell as it offgasses. A little goes a long way if there are not many little hands involved.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

we use Sprayway SS Cleaner & polish, the oil based version.

Here's a 5 pack at a great price. https://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Aerosol ... th=1&psc=1

There are other presentations of fewer cans but higher unit cost.

We also use the Sprayway non-ammonia glass cleaner rather than windex.
brianH

Post by brianH »

Christine_NM wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:39 pm I use Weimans spray once a week (just me, no kids).
That spray works surprisingly well. Other cleaners (non stainless-specifc) leave streaks.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Captain_Video wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:17 pm +1 for WD 40. It was recommended by the salesman at Lowe's. He said they use it in the store to clean appliances.
Not sure I'd want to breathe in that shit any more than necessary especially in an indoor environment.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Finnegan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:24 pm WD 40 does a nice job on stainless.
Interesting. I never would have thought of that. It has an odor but that wears off after a while. :beer
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

heartwood wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:53 pm we use Sprayway SS Cleaner & polish, the oil based version.

Here's a 5 pack at a great price. https://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Aerosol ... th=1&psc=1

There are other presentations of fewer cans but higher unit cost.

We also use the Sprayway non-ammonia glass cleaner rather than windex.
Thanks - that's a brand I wasn't familiar with. :beer
The Electrician

Post by The Electrician »

Been very happy with 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish, 21 oz Aerosol
NSF Certified for use in federally-inspected meat and poultry processing plant.
No odd smell and streak free. I agree with using micro-fiber cloth as well.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-14002-Stainle ... 830&sr=8-1
rich126

Post by rich126 »

JonnyB wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 pm Kind of makes you wonder why stainless steel appliances are so popular. They are high maintenance and start looking bad again five minutes after you polish them up. c.f: black cars.
I detest them. I put them in the last house I sold because it was recommended but I'd prefer white, or black. I think it is more of a supposed status symbol.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

JonnyB wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 pm Kind of makes you wonder why stainless steel appliances are so popular. They are high maintenance and start looking bad again five minutes after you polish them up. c.f: black cars.
Good point. But not too many options out there except the plain white and some black ones. Or the high end models that have those fancy covers that match your cabinets. :dollar
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of options to try. :happy
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

CorradoJr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 pmThe appliance installer for our Sub-Zero fridge and Wolf stove mentioned to always use a mineral-oil based cleaner.
I read something on the internet that said to use mineral oil on my stainless steel refrigerator. Got some out of the medicine cabinet, and tried it. Worked well enough, though it left a little greasy feeling for a while if you touched it until it fully dried. Only did it once or twice and it may have reduced the fingerprints and smears, or I stopped seeing it or caring. Don't have that refrigerator anymore now.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgr ... 13-product
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:47 pm
Good point. But not too many options out there except the plain white and some black ones. Or the high end models that have those fancy covers that match your cabinets. :dollar
Whatever happened to Harvest Gold and Avocado Green?
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

+1 for vinegar and water in a spray bottle with a microfiber cloth. Works better than any of the polishes and you only have to clean the fingerprints and handles rather than the whole panel.
mancich

Post by mancich »

We use a microfiber and diluted rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. We use it for the countertops too. It works great. Strong smell at first but gone in a few minutes when it dries.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

From Bosch:
Wash stainless steel with mild, soapy water and a soft cloth. Be sure to always wipe and dry in the direction of the stainless steel grain. Apply Bosch stainless steel conditioner to a soft cloth and clean the stanless steel surface. Wipe off excess conditioner with a paper towel or soft cloth.

I only saw this after I ordered two bottles of the conditioner. So far, the dawn and water have worked great, and the conditioner sits unopened in the pantry.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Mapmaker wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:23 am From Bosch:
Wash stainless steel with mild, soapy water and a soft cloth. Be sure to always wipe and dry in the direction of the stainless steel grain. Apply Bosch stainless steel conditioner to a soft cloth and clean the stanless steel surface. Wipe off excess conditioner with a paper towel or soft cloth.

I only saw this after I ordered two bottles of the conditioner. So far, the dawn and water have worked great, and the conditioner sits unopened in the pantry.
LOL. :happy
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

FiveK wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:12 pm One reviewer's opinion: The best stainless steel cleaner in 2020: TriNova, Weiman, and more.

Weiman products have done well for us, but we've hardly conducted rigorous comparison tests. Good luck!
+1; We too use Weiman wipes, and found them easy to use, and effective. Available at Target, Home Depot, Walmart target.com:link
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BroIceCream wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:28 am
FiveK wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:12 pm One reviewer's opinion: The best stainless steel cleaner in 2020: TriNova, Weiman, and more.

+1; We too use Weiman wipes, and found them easy to use, and effective. Available at Target, Home Depot, Walmart target.com:link
Thanks for the link! I see (cleaning) vinegar was mentioned as at least 1 other BH posted above. :happy
anoop

Post by anoop »

I have a Miele DW and all I use to clean it is a damp paper towel followed by a dry one.
2muchfun

Post by 2muchfun »

I clean ours with Dawn and water and then Behold furniture polish for a nice shine.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

anoop wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:07 am I have a Miele DW and all I use to clean it is a damp paper towel followed by a dry one.
Thanks!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

2muchfun wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:56 am I clean ours with Dawn and water and then Behold furniture polish for a nice shine.
Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of furniture polish. :beer
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

BroIceCream wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:28 am

I find these to be effective also, but in my experience you can't spot clean since you can tell where the wipes were used. You have to cover the entire area of the appliance even if only a portion has fingerprints/is dirty.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:59 am
2muchfun wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:56 am I clean ours with Dawn and water and then Behold furniture polish for a nice shine.
Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of furniture polish. :beer
Orange Pledge was recommended to us, and it works pretty good on the fridge and dishwasher. We also don’t get ours too dirty...clean hands and handles. (And no kids :happy )

And my favorite from the when I was single: dimmer lights.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

megabad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:42 pm Call me crazy but i just dump a little Dawn in a spray bottle with water and go to town. Doesn't seem to streak but I think we have the non streaky stainless if that makes sense.
Dawn is amazing. Stains out of furniture and streaks out of appliances. It does it all.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

rich126 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 pm
I detest them. I put them in the last house I sold because it was recommended but I'd prefer white, or black. I think it is more of a supposed status symbol.
+1.
I much prefer the metal painted sides of the fridge. The SS door is a constant hassle to keep clean. Don't understand why they remain popular. They need to extend "contactless payments" to contactless fridge doors or provide remote controls. :annoyed