Anyone else love this new working from home thing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mak1277

Re: Anyone else love this new working from home thing?

Post by mak1277 »

I enjoy working from home so much that I have to admit the COVID-19 situation has, thus far, been a net positive for my life. I'm speaking personally only, obviously I'm not making light of the real severity of the situation from a global perspective. And I do not know anyone personally who has contracted the disease.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

No, I am not loving it. I previously had a 5 minute commute so I'm not saving much time there. There are certainly things I enjoy about this arrangement, but there is a lot I miss. I'd probably say it has been net-neutral to slightly negative for me. Recently found out that as things are now, I'll likely be working from home for another 12-16 months. Still trying to wrap my head around that and figure out how I feel about it.

I'm at the beginning of a management career. I haven't figured out how to do a lot of what I was doing when I was in the office. I'm missing all the hallway conversations, relationship building, real face-to-face conversations. It was hard enough to give tough feedback in person; doing so now over a computer screen, with our audio going in and out, and children or dogs in the background, feels almost inhumane.

I've adjusted by being more of a contributor to my team's work. In the office, I was maybe 25% technical and 75% mgmt. Now, I'd probably between 50-75% technical. I don't know if that's necessarily good for my career or my team.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

I love working from home (usually do 2 days a week), but the pandemic and 100% work from home has ruined that for me. Usually, when a few team members work from home and others are in the office, on average the efficiency is OK and expectations of work begin and end during working hours. Now about 90% of my colleagues are working from home, every meeting that involves more than 3 people has been taking longer, projects schedules are slowing down and management is freaking out about deadlines.

It has somehow become OK to start meetings earlier in the day because "you don't have to commute". I just had to tell a project manager yesterday that asking one of our colleagues to join a 7AM call on a PTO day because "it's just a call before she begins travel" is not OK.

Folks have become unkind toward personal time and work life balance.
as9

Post by as9 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 pm A 90 minute each way commute sounds like a life choice problem, not a problem with the job itself.
If you work in Manhattan and want to live in the suburbs with good schools then it's just a fact of life for many people. The absolute best you can do is probably right around 60 min. door to door each way.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

as9 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:51 am
quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 pm A 90 minute each way commute sounds like a life choice problem, not a problem with the job itself.
If you work in Manhattan and want to live in the suburbs with good schools then it's just a fact of life for many people. The absolute best you can do is probably right around 60 min. door to door each way.
Psst, living in the suburbs is a life choice.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I hate working from home for two reasons:

1. I miss people.

2. One month before the lockdown, my firm moved into beautiful new offices, and I got the biggest corner office 40 floors up. As soon as I started getting used to it, we got shut down.

I have still been going into the office about 4 days a week for most of the lockdown.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Stupendous

Post by Stupendous »

It isn't ideal. It makes collaboration more difficult since we have bullpens at work. I have less laundry to do. I live alone, too. The co-workers married with kids would much rather go into work.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is on-topic in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time). In this case, it's how you spend your time working from home (lifestyle).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

jvini wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:29 pm
steve321 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:25 pm I love working from home,I haven't left the house since the beginning of March and feeling very happy
Same! I do wear my 'Introverts unite! Separately, in your own homes' t-shirt, which may explain it. :)
+1

I’m an introvert but no teeshirts necessary as my uniform is my birthday suit, less laundry to do as well as I failed laundry school.

😂
simmias

Post by simmias »

I've already decided I'm not going back to the office unless it's a special event. If that becomes an issue, so be it.

Open office plans can go the way of the dodo like they deserve.
SeekingWisdom_1

Post by SeekingWisdom_1 »

I've worked from home 40-100% of the time for the majority of my career. Overall, I really liked it! Unfortunately, I lost my job due to Covid. Fortunately, I was quickly recruited by a company and we are currently planning for WFH until next year. I have to admit that I absolutely panic at the idea of going into an office now (particularly a huge skyscraper) along with a lengthy commute. This company seems to have a strong bias toward having people in the office, suggesting it is more collaborative (though I don't see how it will be in the future if social distancing protocols are in place). I see being in the office as more stressful with many more distractions, and my team is not located in my city anyway.

I really hope to land another remote job or hope things will turn with this company and I can become WFH permanently. So nervous! Fingers crossed for change!! I hope everyone has more choice in their arrangements (whether you prefer WFH or being in the office) in the future. Sounds like WFH agrees with a lot of you!
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

It is awesome.
I commute to the hospital everyday that I work.
Because everyone is working from home, my commute time is 30 minutes less.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

not really. have a toddler. we have a baby sitter, but until he goes back to daycare in September it is difficult to focus with the screaming and screaming. i moved my office into the bedroom and blast white noise, but still the screaming can't be drowned out.

I've also needed to install a blocker for social media and BH on my phone. I have the blocker password locked and threw away the password. I can only access BH and social media via this personal laptop i'm using, and am disciplined enough to not waste time on the company laptop.

Since no one can travel at our company and we have a research lab here, i need to go into the lab and run other peoples studies which just gets added onto my own deliverables. My interns aren't allowed into the office either, so i am running my interns lab work while they sit at home on the other end of the realwear headset.

i take a bus to the office and there is only 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM, so if i miss it I'm out of luck.

but if there weren't a pandemic, yes i would love working from home
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
pindevil

Post by pindevil »

Being the only adult at home while working and caring for two elementary school children is not easy. The kids need constant attention which is a challenge when your day is full of online meetings. I regret the days when I have let our kids have endless time on their ipad to keep them occupied. I pray they can go back to school safely in the fall.
beyou

Post by beyou »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 pm
A 90 minute each way commute sounds like a life choice problem, not a problem with the job itself.
Spoken like someone whose never been to NYC.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Absolutely love it. Hoping it continues until close to my retirement date in 10/21. I work in a small federal office and don't need any of the retirement hoopla. Just an email to say goodbye and then move on with the important things in life. Work being far down that list for me.
market timer

Post by market timer »

As an introvert who likes quiet, this is paradise for me. I don't think I'll ever go back to working regularly in an office.

Communication is a much greater challenge now, but something I enjoy considering as an engineering problem. How can you replace the informal aspects of office communication online? What information should you intentionally share with others that they would be privy to if you were working together? How can you simulate working out a math problem on a whiteboard with people in different countries? How can you check in on people to make sure they are not going off on a tangent without micromanaging? These are all interesting problems I'm sure many are tackling now.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I love it and don’t care if I ever step foot in an office again.
Topic Author
jvini

Post by jvini »

It definitely seems to largely depend on age and kids.

I work in an office with a large amount of 20 year olds and some slightly older people with kids under the age of 12. I'm the senior guy in my early 50's, although I don't feel like it.

My younger colleagues miss the camaraderie (as do I) and the ones with younger kids find it understandably incredibly difficult. The younger people who live alone also felt very isolated at the height of the NYC lockdown. We work in advertising so it's a fun environment made even better by a wonderful culture. Lots of creativity, music, dogs running around, and really wonderful people. It's very social and lots of younger people go out together after work. I understand how everyone, especially younger employees miss that. Long hours aren't bad when you're with a bunch of people you really like.

I'm past the point of beers every night or almost ever and love where I live. My kids are 16 and 19 and are great and my wife works at home. Our 2 dogs have a yard to play and we're in a rural area with plenty of restaurants to pick up food from if we want. Working at home for me is better. Goodbye 3 hour (minimum) commute. Goodbye office building in NYC.

Thank goodness Zoom keeps us connected and we manage to actually have fun over zoom meetings too.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I am loving it. I'll be WFH at least until 2021, and I plan to ask to make it permanent.

I'm more productive working because I can work for hours without interruption. The daily grind of transporting kids, rushing to work, commute, and parking has disappeared. What was the point of all that grind I've all been doing for years anyway?? The money saved on childcare is equal to getting a promotion.

Being able to have a lunch of veggies freshly picked from the garden is amazing. The kids and I have more time together and have bonded like we never have before.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

I've worked from home at least 8 years, but I am an Educational Therapist and I served students remotely as well as in my home office. Since Covid, I moved everyone online and I am enjoying that so much more, but some students really need to see me in person.

I purchased an excellent office chair, quality over-ear headphones, and a standing desk. It's made a huge difference in how I feel at the end of a long day. I serve between 9 and 11 students for an hour each on weekdays.

As long as Covid is around and the public schools continue to underserve students with dyslexia, I will continue to have a long and prosperous career. I earn triple the income of the local public school teachers. If there are any teachers out there looking to retool, this is the perfect time. There aren't enough private providers to meet the demand and sadly I have to turn away famlies every week.

Mrs. Betsy
catpepper

Post by catpepper »

I've been working from home for the past 7 years and I love it.

But not with my wife and kid around. So I hate it now, and dying to go work in my office instead.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Both my wife and I are working from home since March.

I may go back mid Aug, and her in Sept.

We have two kids at home, one high school and one middle school. So they are self sufficient.

I'm using the study which is done up like an executive office. At work, I have an Office Space style cube. My wife took over the spare bedroom but she has a nice office at work.

I'd be happy doing 2 days in, 3 at home going forward. I have a feeling some of the Boomer age sr mgmt will resist this. My manager and I are both GenX and our group is about the same age, though we have a couple of older millennials. We're all engineers and mostly introverted.

All of us would be happy to work from home in some capacity going forward. I'm enjoying it.

Interestingly we're in the midst of building a new and modern office and research complex for ourselves...this pandemic may have some questioning that.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I don't miss the office interactions at all. My co-workers are my co-workers, not my friends or family. With WFH, if I need an answer or someone asks me for something that can't be explained over email easily, we can quickly do it over the phone. If someone starts wasting time my time, it's easier to end a phone conversation than getting them away from my desk.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 pm
TonyDAntonio wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:07 pm I loved working from home right up until IBM said, "Hey, why are we paying this guy in CA so much when we can get two guys in Brazil to do (roughly) the same thing. " They must have gotten a good deal because they even declined my offer to work for 50% less. If you can do your job from home someone can do it from some far away place for much less. Be great at your job and keep your head on a swivel when you work from home.
TonyDAntonio,

FYI. I telecommute from Asia for my US job and getting paid US salary for many years.

KlangFool
That's great. I telecommuted for 8 years for IBM. Who knows why they waited so long. The two guys who have my job didn't have any experience. My ops friends in Brazil told me as such. What causes a company to decide that knowledge and skills don't matter as much as the bottom line. I don't know. I'm just saying there is someone somewhere in the world that can do your job cheaper. Keep up the good work.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

TonyDAntonio wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:03 pm
KlangFool wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 pm
TonyDAntonio wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:07 pm I loved working from home right up until IBM said, "Hey, why are we paying this guy in CA so much when we can get two guys in Brazil to do (roughly) the same thing. " They must have gotten a good deal because they even declined my offer to work for 50% less. If you can do your job from home someone can do it from some far away place for much less. Be great at your job and keep your head on a swivel when you work from home.
TonyDAntonio,

FYI. I telecommute from Asia for my US job and getting paid US salary for many years.

KlangFool
That's great. I telecommuted for 8 years for IBM. Who knows why they waited so long. The two guys who have my job didn't have any experience. My ops friends in Brazil told me as such. What causes a company to decide that knowledge and skills don't matter as much as the bottom line. I don't know. I'm just saying there is someone somewhere in the world that can do your job cheaper. Keep up the good work.
TonyDAntonio,

Thanks.

KlangFool
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I had already WFH for 6 months, on balance a big plus. No 2hr round trip commute. Get up later. I actually work more hours, as it isn't uncommon for me to work at night if there are things to do. I'm probably not quite as productive during traditional work hours, but am far more productive after hours. Also around my teenage son more and can have more influence.

It would be tough to have to go back to an office. That said, WFH can get monotonous. Get up, go to PC, eat, back to PC, repeat, go to bed. Rinse repeat. But I certainly consider myself lucky to be able to do it. I suspect it is here to stay. The desire of companies to spend less money on office space will overcome the traditional old school "butts in seats = productivity" attitude. I think this has proved to a lot of people it can work.

I do agree it probably makes people seem more expendable because out of sight out of mind. But I'm happy to deal with that risk.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

JBTX wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:34 pm The desire of companies to spend less money on office space will overcome the traditional old school "butts in seats = productivity" attitude. I think this has proved to a lot of people it can work.
It will be interesting see whether low cost or high surveillance wins in the end. With cubicles and then open offices, the decision makers have had the best of both worlds. I don''t think they have yet caught on completely as to how to de-value the WFH experience. They will.
reln

Post by reln »

jvini wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:20 pm I hate what's going on out in the world with this Pandemic, but I do love being home. I work from my deck in nice weather, see my family more, eat healthily at home, have more time to workout at home in the morning and no longer have 3 hours a day of commuting into New York City. Not to mention that I see my team more over Zoom and work more efficiently.

I hope we get back to 'normal' but I can't see going back to how things were. It helps that I like what I do for work.
Same.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I did until I was laid off on Thursday....
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

onourway wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:02 pm It has been tough as a family of 5 with 3 younger kids with both parents working at home in a house that was only marginally big enough for pre-covid life. That said, other than the challenge of keeping the kids on task and occupied, I am finding I like WFH much more than I ever anticipated. I have a short (sub-10 minute) commute to the office, and like my office and co-workers, and miss a bit of the interactions with them - but overall I find that I am getting just as much or more work done at home and really enjoy eliminating all the rush of getting kids out the door to school or camps in the morning, running errands if possible during the day, and picking everyone up in the evening then trying to fit dinner in.

If the kids get to go back to school at least half time in the fall, I’ll consider this just about perfect - and a lifestyle that I would not have previously considered possible.
This is the reality parents face every day: Working from home is great. Kids home at same time makes it next to impossible.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

I've been working from home for eight years and love it! But, doing so is harder with three kids and my DW at home - they need to go back to school and part-time work/longer shopping errands, respectively, ASAP.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

I try to enjoy it for what it is, and that is a once in a lifetime event to spend more time with family and get a ton of home projects finished. That being said, our kids are young and it is very difficult to balance. One negative, if you have a small house AND you are a workaholic, your “office” is always within arms reach, which can make it tempting to work 10-12 hours a day.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

simplesimon wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 pm I miss interacting with coworkers face to face. Working with good people is one of the best things about my job.
I interact with my coworkers face to face 4-8 hours a day, every day, but I haven't been in the same location with any of them since March 19th.

I did however, notice that some of my team's casual interaction had diminished with the shift, so I scheduled a daily "standup" on all the days we didn't have a team meeting. It's scheduled for 15 minutes, but usually goes about 25. It's a combination of chitchat, updates on what they've done and are going to do next, knowledge sharing about solutions they've found, etc. Has gone a long way to re-establish that "over-the wall" conversation that just happens when they're in the office.

I've noticed since starting that, that I'm seeing them go to video/screen sharing more often in small groups when they're collaborating than they did before. Team cohesion is as good as it's ever been, IMO.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

We had discussed a remote happy hour for the group where we jump onto a Skype call with beverage of choice and just shoot the breeze but haven't done so yet.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Efficiency yes. I am way more efficient at home on my own workstation. I control my environment which means no distractions. I can pick up a phone call with my airpod instead of fumbling for the crappy office phone with blinking lights. Bathroom is right next to my office. Meals take 1/2-1/3 time with no walking to the cafeteria or waiting in line.

No time or money wasted commuting.I save 5-10 hours/week which I can redirect to work.

I still have a few job sites where it's better to staff onsite but strongly prefer to work at home if I can do the work more efficiently.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

BradJ wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 am I try to enjoy it for what it is, and that is a once in a lifetime event to spend more time with family and get a ton of home projects finished. That being said, our kids are young and it is very difficult to balance. One negative, if you have a small house AND you are a workaholic, your “office” is always within arms reach, which can make it tempting to work 10-12 hours a day.
Oh, if only DH limited himself to 12 hours. He is right now, because he had been working so hard he aggravated his degenerative discs. Now he can only manage 6-8 hours and he feels like he is letting the team down. I couldn't tell you the last time he took off 24 hours straight. A couple of times, we have taken the day off and gone sailing and he still put in more than 8 hours. Part of the problem is that other people on the team are doing the same thing. Got insomnia? Someone, either in US or India, is likely to be online, even when it is an awkward weekend hour in both places.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

lazydavid wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:37 am
simplesimon wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 pm I miss interacting with coworkers face to face. Working with good people is one of the best things about my job.
I interact with my coworkers face to face 4-8 hours a day, every day, but I haven't been in the same location with any of them since March 19th.

I did however, notice that some of my team's casual interaction had diminished with the shift, so I scheduled a daily "standup" on all the days we didn't have a team meeting. It's scheduled for 15 minutes, but usually goes about 25. It's a combination of chitchat, updates on what they've done and are going to do next, knowledge sharing about solutions they've found, etc. Has gone a long way to re-establish that "over-the wall" conversation that just happens when they're in the office.

I've noticed since starting that, that I'm seeing them go to video/screen sharing more often in small groups when they're collaborating than they did before. Team cohesion is as good as it's ever been, IMO.
I do the same with my team, but as an extrovert there are lots of people outside of my team I interact with as well which should have been included in my original comment.

I work in the city would get lunches and coffees with former colleagues and people I know in the industry.

I try to email/text/call people when I can but it's not the same.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

investingdad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:00 am We had discussed a remote happy hour for the group where we jump onto a Skype call with beverage of choice and just shoot the breeze but haven't done so yet.
I have a virtual happy hour every other week for my team, and then team leads from the different areas also have virtual happy hour every other week. For me, that means one every week, since the team leads arranged to have the virtual happy hours staggered. My team uses it mostly for chit chat (talking about their kids, pets, houses, etc.), although the team leads are more focused on informal work conversations. It's not quite the same as hallway or after-meeting conversations, but it's better than nothing.
wordsmith11

Post by wordsmith11 »

Curious if there is a good source for finding companies that are either fully WFH or highly flexible? It's not always obvious from LinkedIn, career pages, etc.