What surprised you the most once you retired?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

The biggest surprise to me is that my risk tolerance seems to have increased quite a bit. I think before I always hoped my plan would work and now that I am retired I can see my plan is working and working well. Granted the sample size is only 3 months, the market is doing well and Covid helps control spending, still things seem more real now and less theoretical.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
bighatnohorse

Re: What surprised you the most once you retired?

Post by bighatnohorse »

That our income was so high and it would become greater than when we were working.
Watty

Post by Watty »

How quickly I quit caring about my old job.

I had worked at the same company for over 20 years and for a while after I retired I used to go out to lunch with some of the people I used to work with maybe every six months or so. We were more friendly coworkers than actual friends but after doing this a couple of times I realized I really did not care about the old office BS or what was happening with the projects I used to work on. I think the last lunch was maybe 18 months after I retired.

There is still one person that I will occasionally exchange emails with a few times a year and at Christmas I have been sending an email to a group of people I used to work with but that is more of a courtesy like a Christmas card than anything else.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:09 am The biggest surprise to me is that my risk tolerance seems to have increased quite a bit. I think before I always hoped my plan would work and now that I am retired I can see my plan is working and working well. Granted the sample size is only 3 months, the market is doing well and Covid helps control spending, still things seem more real now and less theoretical.
I’ve attempted retirement 3x

In the first couple attempts what surprised me most was that sooner or later, leisure became boring

I’m in my 40s and retirement on the 3 pass is much better

My risk tolerance is low and has always been low. It’s easiest for me to invest during market crashes and bears. That’s when risk is lowest
Last edited by flaccidsteele on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:09 am The biggest surprise to me is that my risk tolerance seems to have increased quite a bit. I think before I always hoped my plan would work and now that I am retired I can see my plan is working and working well. Granted the sample size is only 3 months, the market is doing well and Covid helps control spending, still things seem more real now and less theoretical.
My biggest surprise was how easy it was to switch from working to doing nothing whatever I pleased.

I am pleased to say that our portfolio is larger now than on the day I retired almost 10 years ago.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Getting used to not having my own company?
8 years and still a work in progress😳😳

Speed of declining health😬

However, DW has taken to retirement like a fish to water.😃

We are busier now than when we were working. Not really but it feels like it sometimes. Strange🤔

I did not fully realize all that we had so there’s much to be grateful for and blessings as well.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We really expected to travel a lot once I retired. But we had traveled alot before retirement and my job involved a lot of travel in the last 15 years (some months 100%) that when I finally did finish up, the allure of travel sort of evaporated.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

:sharebeer
Last edited by Rudedog on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

How my attire would go from business suits and casual Friday's attire to T-shirts with shorts in the summer and jeans in the winter. I wear those business suits to an occasional wedding but more and more to funerals.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

jerryk68 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:30 pm How my attire would go from business suits and casual Friday's attire to T-shirts with shorts in the summer and jeans in the winter. I wear those business suits to an occasional wedding but more and more to funerals.
That all sounded pretty good ... until the end! :happy
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Good question. Two things come to mind, one financial, one not. On the financial side, the biggest surprise after I retired in late 2008 at 45 was how quickly my HI premiums rose in the first 2 years (pre-ACA). They rose 50%. On the non-financial side, the biggest surprise was how quickly I became disinterested in hearing about other people's work issues.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

My biggest surprise was in realizing how satisfying “negative freedom” was, in recognizing and celebrating all the pointless, meaningless, and inane work-related tasks that I no longer had to do or ever consider. That realization was as equally satisfying as “positive freedom,” having the time and energy to do all the things I dreamed of doing. But what bliss it was to know that all that busy work was a thing of the past.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

realizing (truly) that i was old enough to be retired.

:?
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
av111

Post by av111 »

This thread is interesting. Most people would probably watch TV and eat unhealthy food all day after they retire. The impact of this lifestyle on health can be imagined
AV111
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

cashboy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 pm realizing (truly) that i was old enough to be retired.

:?
What’s the worst thing about middle age?

It ends
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jerryk68 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:30 pm How my attire would go from business suits and casual Friday's attire to T-shirts with shorts in the summer and jeans in the winter. I wear those business suits to an occasional wedding but more and more to funerals.
Why were you expecting to wear business suits in retirement?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Watty

Post by Watty »

av111 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:52 pm This thread is interesting. Most people would probably watch TV and eat unhealthy food all day after they retire. The impact of this lifestyle on health can be imagined
Compared to when I was working and sitting at a desk eight hours a day and often eating lunch out it was not hard to improve on that lifestyle, at least until the pandemic started.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

av111 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:52 pm This thread is interesting. Most people would probably watch TV and eat unhealthy food all day after they retire. The impact of this lifestyle on health can be imagined
Since Covid we eat at home, have coffee at home rather than at a coffee shop, sit out on the deck in nice weather, read books or websurf. Probably eat better than before.

I don't even have suits anymore. I wear a sport coat and slacks for weddings and funerals.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

How busy I could be even without having the full time work plus commute grind. As others have shared, "I'm surprised I ever had time for work." I haven't even felt a hint of boredom.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Quite the opposite for DW and I.
Former youthful nerves of steel ...... gone.😳

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

The only think that surprises me is how busy I am, now that I no longer need to work.

Life is good!
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:17 pm
Quite the opposite for DW and I.
Former youthful nerves of steel ...... gone.😳

j🌺
For me it is probably because before I was retired I would move the goalposts ever time I reach a goal, basically never satisfied. Now I just look at my balance and think that turned out a lot better than I was expecting. Maybe someday I will look at my balance and say where did it all go?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
av111

Post by av111 »

Watty wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:06 pm
Compared to when I was working and sitting at a desk eight hours a day and often eating lunch out it was not hard to improve on that lifestyle, at least until the pandemic started.
Structure for the 8 to 10 hours that is enforced by work is not easy to replace and people can lose sense of purpose in the life. Bad habits start like weeds. Saw this in my parents. Retirement and empty nest created a vacuum that was never really filled with fulfilling activities
AV111
av111

Post by av111 »

Watty wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:06 pm
Structure for the 8 to 10 hours that is enforced by work is not easy to replace and people can lose sense of purpose in the life. Bad habits start like weeds. Saw this in my parents. Retirement and empty nest created a vacuum that was never really filled with fulfilling activities
AV111
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Most people eat unhealthy food and sit at a desk all day. Not much change for most probably. LOL.

But one thing I have been reading up on, as I am getting closer to retirement, is there are a lot of people that didn't retire to anything. They just quick working. They didn't make any plans for hobbies, traveling etc. I can see by doing this you would get pretty bored in a few months and get sucked into Fixer Uppe and Golf Channel all day.

Not for me. I look at it as I'm going to be in the prime of my life. I want to travel a lot, and start a lot of new hobbies, or take some classes. I'll probably be so buys I will want to go back to work to have some time off.
Last edited by Brianmcg321 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
shess

Post by shess »

Watty wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:45 am
OMG, yes - in fact, how quickly I quit caring about my work.

I'm a software engineer, and as a youth, it was an obsession, I worked hard (on the farm) and spent all my money on subscriptions and a periodic textbook (there were like three computing books in the public library, from the 50's or 60's). Stealing time to spend in the computer lab was one of the bigger behavioural issues I presented to my family. That push carried me through into a great career working with smart people at startups and various Internet companies. Then, one day, I sat up and realized I had been mailing it in for a few years, so I up and quit. Confusingly, it made me SO HAPPY!

Three years on, I still dabble, I keep up with things, but it's more like I have this wonderful ability honed through years of practice which lets me do parlor tricks when it comes to tech. I just don't care all that much about it, though, it's puttering around more than anything.

It's kind of like playing a musical instrument, due to practice as a youth I can pick up a trumpet or baritone and play some tunes I recall, and I can work out a new tune given a few minutes, and I can sight-read music, but I can't be bothered to actually own an instrument and practice, because, well, I don't really enjoy it that much.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Not an option, got too many things I want to do that require me to be in much better shape for the next decade. Don't get me wrong I lazed around for about 6 weeks (just liked I did the first time) but now everything has a sense of urgency (probably heightened by Covid). I need to be ready to go whenever the opportunity presents.
lws

Post by lws »

No surprise whatsoever.
I learned the benefits of leisure long ago.
I'm enjoying those benefits to the fullest.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:53 am We are busier now than when we were working. Strange🤔
I think that in many ways, managing our time is like managing our money. Our natural inclination is not to save but to spend everything. I think that we often treat time the same way. If we aren't conscientious about how we spend our time, we'll get so busy that we can barely keep our head above water (at least, it feels that way).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
grobertj

Post by grobertj »

GRANDCHILDREN!!! 95% good. The joy of having enough money to help my daughter and son-in-law move into an upscale house.

I still have about 50 ties that I haven't worn in 10 years...and I don't own suit. Bought a blue blazer and slacks for wedding and funerals. I've had 3 1st-cousins die in the last year. That hits way to close to home!

Plenty of time to do whatever I want (pre-COVID). No getting up at the crack of dawn!! :D

We downscaled houses and now have no mortgage. Our HOA takes care of the yard maintenance so I no longer own a mower and associated yard equipment. I plant some flowers and enjoy my backyard patio which is in the shade after 3:30.

Overall, life is good!!
The only constant is CHANGE!!
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Why do you believe that?

No one I know who is retired sits around and watches TV all day. Almost all of them exercise (at least lots of walking) and have plenty of things to do.

Some of them drink a lot (this may be me someday, if I'm not careful), but even those drinkers exercise a lot to make up for it.

They seem to eat better in retirement than when working with less free time.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Do you have a reference for this? Since it is "most people" I am sure you have a study available.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Most surprising was my wife saying that I became a nicer person, than when I was working (at mega-corp).

Also, the joy of having time for recreation (backpacking trips that start on weekdays, and at different altitudes to fit the season, instead of just on weekends and vacations) was special. I thought I would no longer enjoy that activity, assuming that those retirees previously seen on the trails, were athletes who could no longer run in marathons.

If you find volunteer work that suits you, it is better than any paid work that you have ever done.

The initial uncertainty of living off of your assets, fades over time, although the discussions of the uncertainty seem to be never ending.
blahblahsunshine

Post by blahblahsunshine »

I am only a couple weeks into my "retirement", but the thing that has struck me the most is how anticlimactic the whole thing was/is. I pulled the plug and things proceeded ahead comfortably and without drama. I am spending my time taking easy, but doing yard work and cleaning up etc. Just seems very comfortable...and I already have moved on from my work situation which wasn't the best. The other thing which has surprised me is that time has actually slowed down some whereas I expected it to speed up immediately; also feels like a win. Guess we will see. :happy
zbxb006

Post by zbxb006 »

Biggest surprise was that the work-related nightmares still persist after 5 years of retirement. After 43 years of being on-call 24/7 for megabanks I would have thought the mind would forget about the horrors of work, but the best part is then realizing I can get up, forget work and do whatever I want. Feel sorry for my old team that still has to work.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Awesome thread! Not retired yet (5 years?) but have the popcorn out. :beer
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
Toons

Post by Toons »

I am so busy
There is never
enough Time in the day
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Toons wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:30 pm I am so busy
There is never enough Time in the day
This!

I have no idea how I used to fit 50 hours of work into my week.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
av111

Post by av111 »

palanzo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Do you have a reference for this? Since it is "most people" I am sure you have a study available.
Good question. I googled for studies on "how does a retired person spend his time".

https://intentionalretirement.com/2012/ ... their-day/

And about dietary habits
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5450356/

Conclusions
Transition to retirement was associated with unhealthier dietary intakes. These results may help defining interventions during this vulnerable life-period.

Also someone shared a medium link about Ikigai. Interesting read

https://www.google.com/amp/s/medium.com ... 71d01992b7
AV111
DebiT

Post by DebiT »

I am in a weird position of being newly retired but waiting to (hopefully) find out what being retired but not In covid feels like. To add to the strangeness, I moved to a new area on 5/4 to be close to grandkids, and I was suddenly widowed in March 2019

Most of the ways I thought I would structure my time as I made decision to retire early this year aren't open to me right now (classes, lectures, clubs, church activities, travel)

Very pleased to not be working, finally have time to process my feelings, very much enjoy time with 3 young grandsons. Would like to meet more people in my neighborhood (happening slowly), find some low-key volunteer activities, hope to be able and not afraid to travel eventually.

Very strange time in my life. I know I'm not alone in that
Age 62, life turned upside down 3/2/19, thanking God for what I've learned from this group
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

That the stock market went up.

That I no longer craved a beer with lunch.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

DW turned into a golf nut! She talked me into joining the local club. I was hesitant because I thought we would never play enough to justify the expense. (I do have to analyze whether any given expenditure is worthwhile.) Turns out that's not an issue since we play about every other day, weather permitting. Second surprise: I am actually becoming a better golfer. I thought it was too late for this old dog to learn new tricks.

Honorable mention: how well our portfolio has done despite the withdrawals for living expenses, Roth conversion taxes, and no SS yet. I retired in 2016, seven years after the 2009 bottom. I thought seven years into a bull market there couldn't be much gas left. Wrong. Am getting very comfortable with our plan after obsessing to find the optimum in the years leading up to retirement. Now worried about leaving the kids too much. :)
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

I'm 5 years into an unexpected retirement. What surprised me the most was the 180 you have to make, mentally, from putting money into your investments to taking money out. And just how you are going to do that and be comfortable with that. When you have a job and are at a point when you are maxing out retirement accounts you don't really care when markets go down. When you are taking money out you care much more. There is nothing you can do about that except be prepared mentally and setup your portfolio accordingly.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

That my time schedule continues to be moderately cluttered. I thought it was going to be
"S'pose they was a carnival or a circus come to town, or a ball game, or any damn thing." Old Candy nodded in appreciation of the idea. "We'd just go to her," George said. "We wouldn't ask nobody if we could. Jus' say, 'We'll go to her,' an' we would. Jus' milk the cow and sling some grain to the chickens an' go to her."
But you tie yourself down with dozens of tiny little commitments, like the ropes the Lilliputians used on Gulliver. Look, we have a lot of free time, we've taken six-week and eight-week road trips, but we have to plan them in advance and mark them on the calendar and push back hard at things that keep nibbling away at them. Dentist appointment? OK, you can reschedule that. Granddaughter's graduation? Uh-uh, gotta go, so that sets a hard limit at one end, you can't leave before then. Then something pops up in September to box you in at the other end...
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Covid-19 happening a few months after I retired. It changed everything about my life.
kacang

Post by kacang »

+1

Given how many years were spent building & using those skill set, I had thought that retirement might see me dabbling in fun research or part time consulting related to the old job. Those opportunities came and I found that they didn't excite me. That was a surprise to me.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

+1

I never had this problem when I retired because I never cared about my job in the first place
reln

Post by reln »

Toons wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:30 pm I am so busy
There is never
enough Time in the day
:happy
:( Sorry
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:03 pm Covid-19 happening a few months after I retired. It changed everything about my life.
So much for travelling the world, eh? More like shelter in palace.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

What surprised me:
— I now prefer weekdays to weekends.
— My income went down, but so did my expenses, so I suddenly had more money.
— I quickly stopped caring about my former work. It was almost instantaneous. It was easy to turn down consulting offers.
— I only kept in touch with a few former co-workers despite all those promises to so many people to stay in touch.
— Medicare has turned out to be wonderful. None of the horror stories have been true in my experience.
— I have fewer tasks to accomplish, but somehow they fill the available time.
— Cooking has become more interesting.
— When you retire in your 60s, and your father is still active in his 90s, you have an expert to call with retirement questions.
— Interesting things happen in my neighborhood on weekdays between 8am and 6pm. Who knew?
— I now attend more funerals than weddings.
— Lots of bogleheads post often during the 9-5 workday. Either they are retired, or they're reading the forum instead of working.