Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ljb1234

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by ljb1234 »

Thegame14 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:59 am
megabad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 am baking supplies (ie. yeast).

did everyone start baking geez? We are going to have a lot of bigger folks when no one can buy exercise equipment and everyone is baking like crazy.
yes there is a HUGE baking trend now for people bored at home and are trying to limit going out for food....
Angel Food cake mix. Been out of stock at local stores for weeks. Why, I don't know.

and Bicycles. Very hard to find.
bearwithbear

Post by bearwithbear »

AlwaysaQ,

Forgot to mention Walmart. They have King Arthur flour. If you can get to a total order of $35.00 then shipping is free.

Bear
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 am kayaks of any sort are very hard to come by. I bought one in early May and the seller was concerned about business as we were still on full lock down. I wanted to buy a second one in mid-June, he just laughed and told me that he sold his entire inventory (usually lasts the summer) by Memorial Day and there were none to be found in the wholesale channel (of any sort). Personal Watercraft (aka Sea Doo / Jet Ski / Waverunner) and Utility / Golf-carts are just about completely gone as well.
HighLy recommend Advanced Elements Kayaks and AirKayaks.com, https://www.airkayaks.com/

Kayaking is a great joy in our lives.

WoodSpinner

Post by 123 »

Smaller screen (40 - 50 inch) lower end LG & Samsung TV sets at Costco.com. The last week or so they seem to have returned but for the last 3 months they have been very hit or miss in terms of availability. In the past they would have a model and it would stay online for only a couple of days. I've been thinking about getting an extra set and keep wavering due to questionable live sports availability. They've had higher end TVs in the same size range but I don't see the value in them. I think I can get 90% of the value of a high-end TV in a basic 4K model for less than half the price. If I was in a location where I could get the "firehose" bandwidth of broadcast OTA I'd probably buy something better but with cable compression codecs something seems to get lost along the way.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Flobes wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:05 am
TSR wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am I had a huge amount of trouble finding decent-quality hair clippers ... it sort of makes you doubt some fundamental tenets of micro-economics/capitalism. Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
bertilak wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am Ramping up production capability is a long-term investment. Perhaps they feel it is best to ride out the storm without investing in more production capability than they will ultimately need.
Wahl, highly regarded manufacturer of sought-after, quality hair clippers has this banner on their website:

Thank you for your interest in Wahl. Due COVID-19, we are experiencing substantial inventory shortages on hair clippers. Unfortunately, the virus has impacted our supply chain and our ability to produce at capacity. We hope that everyone is staying safe and staying home. Please check back periodically for inventory updates.
This is helpful. Thank you. Again, if you're looking for these products, I'd suggest a traditional beauty supply store, especially one that looks like maybe it doesn't do a lot of online business.
Topic Author
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

WoodSpinner wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:48 am
retiringwhen wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 am kayaks of any sort are very hard to come by. I bought one in early May and the seller was concerned about business as we were still on full lock down. I wanted to buy a second one in mid-June, he just laughed and told me that he sold his entire inventory (usually lasts the summer) by Memorial Day and there were none to be found in the wholesale channel (of any sort). Personal Watercraft (aka Sea Doo / Jet Ski / Waverunner) and Utility / Golf-carts are just about completely gone as well.
HighLy recommend Advanced Elements Kayaks and AirKayaks.com, https://www.airkayaks.com/

Kayaking is a great joy in our lives.

WoodSpinner
Looks like a nice site, but most of their inventory seems sold out until August.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Silk McCue wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:31 am Claussen Whole Garlic Dill Pickles

The struggle is real.

Cheers
A friend has started making pickles. Wow. I never really appreciated pickles before.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

TSR wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am I had a huge amount of trouble finding decent-quality hair clippers on Amazon and other online sources. I ultimately tracked them down a beauty store that does more business to industry professionals and in hair extensions. But it was enough trouble to find them that it sort of makes you doubt some fundamental tenets of micro-economics/capitalism. Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
That particular consumer item was likely made in China. Supply chains and components are still disrupted.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am Caffeine free Coke or Pepsi. We talked to one of the Coca-Cola reps at the store and he said there was an aluminum shortage and so they were only making their core product lines.

That really does not sound right.

Consumer brands pay slotting fees to grocery stores in order to get shelf space. If you are a manufacturer, you would rather sell product like Coca-Cola or Diet Coke or Barq's Root Beer than waste it on a product that really does not move (Like most CF products). The local bottling plant has some latitude on what they want to produce and the lesser brands they won't. What compounds the problem, IMO, are all of the other brand extensions (different sweeteners, additional flavors, and the like).

Since you are based in Cincinnati, your BEST bet is Jungle Jim's which carries a broader selection than any other retailer in the Midwest other than Woodman's (WI/IL). The second place that I would look is Meijer's as nearly all their purchasing decisions are made in Grand Rapids, MI. The third would be Walmart as they tend to carry some soda brands that are hard to find elsewhere. (Kroger's is generally the worst.)

There are at least 10 SKUs that I buy solely at Jungle Jim's as I cannot find them in other parts of the country.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

jlawrence01 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Kenkat wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am Caffeine free Coke or Pepsi. We talked to one of the Coca-Cola reps at the store and he said there was an aluminum shortage and so they were only making their core product lines.

Consumer brands pay slotting fees to grocery stores in order to get shelf space. If you are a manufacturer, you would rather sell product like Coca-Cola or Diet Coke or Barq's Root Beer than waste it on a product that really does not move (Like most CF products). The local bottling plant has some latitude on what they want to produce and the lesser brands they won't. What compounds the problem, IMO, are all of the other brand extensions (different sweeteners, additional flavors, and the like).

Since you are based in Cincinnati, your BEST bet is Jungle Jim's which carries a broader selection than any other retailer in the Midwest other than Woodman's (WI/IL). The second place that I would look is Meijer's as nearly all their purchasing decisions are made in Grand Rapids, MI. The third would be Walmart as they tend to carry some soda brands that are hard to find elsewhere. (Kroger's is generally the worst.)

There are at least 10 SKUs that I buy solely at Jungle Jim's as I cannot find them in other parts of the country.
Well it is right. Hard to imagine but it is the case. A quick search yields this as the first result.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5666873/a ... che-drinks
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

palanzo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:15 pm
Well it is right. Hard to imagine but it is the case. A quick search yields this as the first result.

I’ve also read that there are, ironically, CO2 shortages due to reduced ethanol production. I’m a die hard Caffeine Free Diet Dr Pepper drinker, but I’ve stooped to CF Coke and CF Diet Coke, which is helping me move to flavored sparkling water. There was no CF soda on the shelves locally this week.

We’ve also had problems with liquid soap. Luckily, we could bring home our webcams and hubs/docks from work, as apparently those were in short supply.
stuyguy

Post by stuyguy »

Flobes wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:14 am
sailaway wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am Wahl was back at Costco this week!
Wahl is still showing as "Out Of Stock" on the website. (Just checked.)

Maybe Costco is no longer going to ship them, and they'll be an in-store item only? There's zero chance I'll be going to Costco in person anytime in the near future...
We used Instacart to buy Wahl clippers from Costco last week ($42.69)
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

All of these were readily available pre-pandemic at Walmart and Kroger where we usually shop. We also checked Meijer, no luck.

Jungle Jim’s is awesome but about a 40 minute drive for us.

The fact that the Coke rep told us this directly plus the above link makes me think it really is “a thing”.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:34 pm

All of these were readily available pre-pandemic at Walmart and Kroger where we usually shop. We also checked Meijer, no luck.

Jungle Jim’s is awesome but about a 40 minute drive for us.

The fact that the Coke rep told us this directly plus the above link makes me think it really is “a thing”.
If you do a search you will find dozens of results for this topic. No need to have any doubts it is a thing.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Powerade Zero, white cherry flavor. My favorite flavor and I prefer the zero over the caloric version. I can still occasionally find the caloric version.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

I had to go to 3 stores last week for a propane tank exchange. When I found a store that had them another guy was there doing a refill and said he had been to 4
egrets

Post by egrets »

musicmom wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:35 am Bosch dishwasher

Really
Yeah, dishwashers. Probably made in China or somesuch.

There was a shortage for awhile of diet caffeine free coke, but it seems to be back. The supply chain for various grocery store items seems to be improving.
Topic Author
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

BobTexas wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:46 pm I had to go to 3 stores last week for a propane tank exchange. When I found a store that had them another guy was there doing a refill and said he had been to 4
Makes sense. I've been doing a lot of grilling these days with restaurants closed.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

egrets wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Really

There was a shortage for awhile of diet caffeine free coke, but it seems to be back. The supply chain for various grocery store items seems to be improving.
No, they are made in New Bern, NC.
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

bmr12 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:43 am Ammonia. Can’t find it anywhere, and can’t figure out why.
Maybe, uh ... somebody ... uh, said it would knock the virus right out. :-)
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

palanzo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Really

The dishwashers are assembled in North Carolina, I assume the parts come from all over the world.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

did everyone start baking geez? We are going to have a lot of bigger folks when no one can buy exercise equipment and everyone is baking like crazy.
I had the same problem. They were even out of baking powder for a while.

At the end of March, my local stores looked like they had been looted. Literally.
Could not even buy an onion, or a russet potato.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Household cleaning supplies --- and no, I'm not talking about Clorox brand name stuff or surface wipes. Just general stuff like bathroom cleaning products and floor cleaners. I generally don't buy Clorox branded stuff, though on my last trip, Clorox bleach was well stocked, but nothing for my bathroom and tile floors.... :( Maybe everybody has really clean houses now?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Yup. Our two favorite varieties have not been available for months. Well, if I want to pay $2.50 a can, I can order a 12 pack from an entrepreneur on amazon or ebay.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Bikes

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyre ... virus.html

By pure good luck, both my (adult) daughters got their bike needs addressed shortly before the pandemic.

They *had* been relying on bike share rental bikes to get around but for different reasons decided to acquire their own bikes, one of them last fall after moving to a city that did not have bike share program going, and the other (who lives with me) this past January, when she decided that there were so many nice winter days suitable for biking that our local seasonal bike share program (which normally runs April to Nov) was insufficient.

So both of them were well set up with bikes acquired before the pandemic and ensuing bike shortage happened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyre ... virus.html
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Chemex coffee filters. If you go to the Chemex website, it says they're not taking direct consumer orders during the COVID-19 crisis, so please contact one of their authorized retailers. When you contact any of the authorized retailers (Amazon, Sur La Table, Williams Sonoma, etc), the answer is the same: the filters are on back-order, and Chemex isn't shipping us any product.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Rubber gloves. Hate to work on a car without them. Every place is out of stock now.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

How about one that suddenly was easier to get than normal: Mac & Jacks African Amber Ale.

They previously only sold that beer in kegs. With restaurants shut down, they were stuck unable to move their product. It's now available at the grocery store!

I had a little bit of trouble getting a Roku for my TV, but I would say it is expected, rather than odd, given many of us were stuck largely at home for a while.

Everybody planned to start baking. I doubt very many actually did. I've been baking slightly less than normal since restrictions started because I've been really busy, but still ran out of yeast and couldn't find any for a month or so.
Maverick3320 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:01 am Wonder what people spent their stimulus checks on... :shock:
One of the sad parts is I suspect a significant percentage of the "stimulus" money was spent before most of the businesses most in need of stimulus were allowed to re-open.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Maybe Costco is no longer going to ship them, and they'll be an in-store item only? There's zero chance I'll be going to Costco in person anytime in the near future...
EBay has some new, some used. Worth checking.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Chicken Gumbo Soup. We use it for our sloppy joes and the grocery stores around here have been out for months. (Apparently Campbell's has been only producing their top sellers.)
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

bearwithbear wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:36 am AlwaysaQ,

Both softsoap and KIng Arthur Flour are available from BJs. They ship.
If you are not a member you can get a year membership that is online only for $10.

Bear
Walmart has softsoap tonight, will ship.
catlady

Post by catlady »

Target
rec630

Post by rec630 »

Ah...not only are caffeine free products missing, Cherry coke in the mini cans have disappeared from everywhere.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Well my Safeway Select Ultra-Thin-Crust Pizzas suddenly showed up again today! My chest freezer is full again. Life is happy.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

On June 21 I ordered a 27" iMac from the Apple Store, a custom configuration with an SSD instead of the standard "hybrid" drive. The expected delivery date was July 22-29, apparently because of disruption of Apple's supply chains.

It's actually on the way now, due to arrive tomorrow (July 17). Still a lot longer than I would have expected normally.

My wife also became anxious about her yeast supply, and the flour that she normally uses for making bread, but both of those eased up a few weeks ago.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:53 pm
palanzo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Really

The dishwashers are assembled in North Carolina, I assume the parts come from all over the world.
Never good to assume. Egrets assumed they are made in China which is not correct. They are, as I said, made in North Carolina. More than assembled. They have R&D facilities and other manufacturing there. I did not dig into the supply chain further but others can do so if they wish.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 30305?op=1#
jasonrecite25

Post by jasonrecite25 »

Maverick3320 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:01 am Inflatable kiddie pools. Easy to find some, but just at 3x the normal price.

Nintendo Switch price still hasn't come down to the "MSRP" of $300.

Trading card prices are still through the roof.

Wonder what people spent their stimulus checks on... :shock:
I wanted a Switch, but faced the same issue. Finally did some research and figured out the trick. Got one shipped and sold from Amazon for 299 a day after I found the method to get one. PM if you want the details.
johnny

Post by johnny »

ljb1234 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 am and Bicycles. Very hard to find.
I went to two local bike shops last week and heard the same thing from the owners. One told me that he can't get common parts like inner tubes. He's selling down his stock and doesn't know what will happen once it is gone.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Still no yeast at the stores we do curbside pickup. Yeast prices on Amazon have gotten better, almost normal, at bulk sizes. There's a brand they sell called "saf-instant." Never heard of it. Tried it, and it works great.

Dishwashers may be in short supply because everyone is washing more dishes, and there is a home improvement push going on.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Silk McCue wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:04 am
delamer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 am
Silk McCue wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:31 am Claussen Whole Garlic Dill Pickles

The struggle is real.

Cheers
My giggle for the day!

(They sound delicious!)
Glad I could bring a smile to your face.

They are delicious. Claussen Pickles are sold in the refrigerated section of stores because they aren't heat treated or pasteurized.

I didn't know this before I just Googled them, but Epicurious rated their Dill pickles number one followed by Ba-Tampte (also refrigerated and which I am eating in the meantime, but clearly not the as good as Claussen).

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... de-article

Cheers
I just scored a jar last night at the grocery store (halves). Yum.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

My local Home Depot and Lowe’s were essentially out of most pressure treated lumber for a few weeks. Everyone is building decks?
nps

Post by nps »

I would tell you, but don't want them to become even more difficult to find :D
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

coalcracker wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:48 am My local Home Depot and Lowe’s were essentially out of most pressure treated lumber for a few weeks. Everyone is building decks?
Actually, yes. The work from home thread has people fixing or creating decks. They are jealous of their co-workers whom they see working outside on those Zoom meetings.

My experience was that the pressure treated supply was low with certain dimensions out of stock. I had to rip my own 2x2s to repair deck spindles.
retiringtype

Post by retiringtype »

Hunter Douglas Silhouette Blinds. 4-6 week lead time. Normally 2 weeks.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:06 pm How about one that suddenly was easier to get than normal: Mac & Jacks African Amber Ale.

They previously only sold that beer in kegs. With restaurants shut down, they were stuck unable to move their product. It's now available at the grocery store!

I had a little bit of trouble getting a Roku for my TV, but I would say it is expected, rather than odd, given many of us were stuck largely at home for a while.

Everybody planned to start baking. I doubt very many actually did. I've been baking slightly less than normal since restrictions started because I've been really busy, but still ran out of yeast and couldn't find any for a month or so.
Maverick3320 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:01 am Wonder what people spent their stimulus checks on... :shock:
One of the sad parts is I suspect a significant percentage of the "stimulus" money was spent before most of the businesses most in need of stimulus were allowed to re-open.
Yes, very true. I don't think Nintendo, Inc needed stimulus money. But the family-owned bakery down the block from me that still hasn't opened surely does.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

jfn111 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:24 pm (Apparently Campbell's has been only producing their top sellers.)
A number of food producers have only been producing their top sellers. Before the COVID-19 crisis, I always bought the Power Seed version of Dave's Killer Bread. By late March it had disappeared from the shelves of all my local stores. Several other variants of Dave's bread also went missing. But the shelves were full of the Good Seed and 21 Whole Grain varieties. I contacted Dave's by email, and they fessed up that they were only producing top sellers.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Corn syrup. For making ice cream. Just regular corn syrup, not the evil high fructose variety. Not sure if all the new bakers have bought it all up or if the plant that makes it is down for the count, but I haven’t seen any locally since March. I finally got a different brand on Amazon last week, after having to leave it out of several batches of ice cream.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Tubes wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:40 am Still no yeast at the stores we do curbside pickup. Yeast prices on Amazon have gotten better, almost normal, at bulk sizes. There's a brand they sell called "saf-instant." Never heard of it. Tried it, and it works great.
I'm surprised it's still difficult to buy where you are - it's been back on store shelves here (bulk and strips) for a month or two.

You could also ask your local bakery if they will sell you some of theirs. Some health departments allow it, some don't. Of course, it will be the larger package. I also bought flour from my local bakery.

I've shut down baking for the summer. We'll see again in the fall.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

InMyDreams wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:14 am
Tubes wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:40 am Still no yeast at the stores we do curbside pickup. Yeast prices on Amazon have gotten better, almost normal, at bulk sizes. There's a brand they sell called "saf-instant." Never heard of it. Tried it, and it works great.
I'm surprised it's still difficult to buy where you are - it's been back on store shelves here (bulk and strips) for a month or two.

You could also ask your local bakery if they will sell you some of theirs. Some health departments allow it, some don't. Of course, it will be the larger package. I also bought flour from my local bakery.

I've shut down baking for the summer. We'll see again in the fall.
We're not going into stores. Some stores won't list yeast on their on-line portal. We tried ordering from others, but it was always "out". For all I know it may be on the shelves and their on-line inventory is messed up.

We had the same problem with whole wheat flour and ended up going to our local bakery for that. Actually, they grind their own wheat. The whole wheat is excellent and we'll probably keep going there, despite the higher price. The quality is worth it. We also buy an occasional loaf.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Helo80 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:24 pm Household cleaning supplies --- and no, I'm not talking about Clorox brand name stuff or surface wipes. Just general stuff like bathroom cleaning products and floor cleaners. I generally don't buy Clorox branded stuff, though on my last trip, Clorox bleach was well stocked, but nothing for my bathroom and tile floors.... :( Maybe everybody has really clean houses now?
I would assume everyone who previously had a cleaning service is now having to buy their own cleaning supplies and clean their houses themselves. That's shifted the demand from bulk supplies to individual supplies (similar to the shift in demand for toilet paper from offices to homes that was cited up-thread). I'm glad I have a habit of restocking all my cleaning supplies in early November before the Christmas buying season, so I never have to go to a Target in December to buy household goods. I did a second restocking run in February, when my co-worker with family in China said this was getting serious.

Relatedly, just before the stay-at-home orders, I noticed during my last in-person trip to Target that all of the cleaning wipes were gone, whether they were disinfecting wipes or just plain cleaning wipes with no disinfectant. I doubt that was due to people anticipating having to clean at home, and was probably people who didn't realize the cleaning wipes have no disinfectant. While I like the convenience of cleaning wipes for cleaning the cooking messes in kitchen, I bought a few cheap reusable towels for that purpose instead.

And for your current needs, is vinegar in stock? You can make a general-purpose cleaner with diluted vinegar. Likewise, buy a bottle of bleach for cleaning the bathroom with a diluted bleach solution to help cut down on any mold/mildew concerns. Are there 32oz spray bottles in stock or do you already have one? I find that's a pretty good size for cleaning the bathrooms in my house, and I mix up the dilution "on demand" right before each cleaning so it doesn't have a chance to decay.