Repair Refrigerator?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mbres60

Repair Refrigerator?

Post by mbres60 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Our refrigerator is 7 years old. Yesterday we discovered it was not keeping things cold . We took our freezer stuff to someone else's house. This morning we realized the refrigerator section was also not cold so threw out stuff. Repair guy is coming tomorrow. I have no clue how much the repair will cost til he diagnoses it. Then, if he has to order a part, how long will that take. What has been your experience when something like this happened? I think a new one will cost over $1800 according to Home Depot (then add sales tax, delivery, and haul away old one). Thanks.

Flyer24

Re: Repair Refrigerator?

Post by Flyer24 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

Post by 123 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:37 pm

While it could be something "minor" the common disagnosis for a refrigerator/freezer failure is bad compressor. When we had a compressor replaced a few years back the $250 cost (HCOL area) was 1/2 the price of a new refrigerator. If it's a replacement compressor (and thats a common part to replace) you could be up and running in an hour or two. In pandemic times it could be an easier answer than shopping for a replacement and dealing with delivery issues.
Last edited by 123 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

jsapiandante

Post by jsapiandante » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:39 pm

It could be something as simple as replacing a cheap relay or fuse, or something expensive like replacing a compressor. I do know it would cost much cheaper than a new refrigerator. 7 years isn’t that old. I’d at least see what the repair guy says before making any decisions. If it were me, I’d more than likely repair it unless it’s beyond repair (which I doubt).

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks. The repair guy told me that my Kenmore was made by LG and there was a big recall because compressor went bad. He asked if the refrigerator sounded like it turned on and later off but was not cooling. Apparently that would mean a bad compressor. I told him no. After I hung up I googled and found out that the recall was from 2005. Mine was purchased 2013. Not part of the recall.

If it wasn't a pandemic we would go out to eat. I am uncomfortable going to a restaurant, even at reduced capacity or outdoors (insects love me). That means take home food that has no leftovers. We had soup for lunch. I guess we will need to decide where to pick up dinner. I hope it can be fixed quickly without needing to wait a few weeks for parts!

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:57 pm

If you can procure some dry ice, that could be used to keep the refrigerator section of your unit cold enough. Freezer items would require access to another freezer.

jsapiandante

Post by jsapiandante » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:00 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:52 pm
Thanks. The repair guy told me that my Kenmore was made by LG and there was a big recall because compressor went bad. He asked if the refrigerator sounded like it turned on and later off but was not cooling. Apparently that would mean a bad compressor. I told him no. After I hung up I googled and found out that the recall was from 2005. Mine was purchased 2013. Not part of the recall.

If it wasn't a pandemic we would go out to eat. I am uncomfortable going to a restaurant, even at reduced capacity or outdoors (insects love me). That means take home food that has no leftovers. We had soup for lunch. I guess we will need to decide where to pick up dinner. I hope it can be fixed quickly without needing to wait a few weeks for parts!
It’s a common problem with LG with compressors blowing out early. My brother recently had to replace a bad compressor after only 2 years.

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 pm

jsapiandante wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:00 pm
mbres60 wrote:

It’s a common problem with LG with compressors blowing out early. My brother recently had to replace a bad compressor after only 2 years.
:( How much did a new compressor cost?

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Could be a simple timer failure. Google your model and timer. There may be an access hole to insert a screwdriver and give it a slight turn. If repair is more than a 1/3 of replacement, buy a new one. Use a credit card that doubles warranty.

jsapiandante

Post by jsapiandante » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:22 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 pm
jsapiandante wrote:
mbres60 wrote:

Fortunately for him it was still under warranty. But he was told by the repairman it would have cost him $500 including parts and labor.

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:24 am

jsapiandante wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:22 pm
mbres60 wrote:
jsapiandante wrote:
mbres60 wrote:

Fortunately for him it was still under warranty. But he was told by the repairman it would have cost him $500 including parts and labor.
Thanks for this info. The repair person is coming today. We shall see.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:30 am

mbres60 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:24 am
jsapiandante wrote:
mbres60 wrote:
jsapiandante wrote:
mbres60 wrote:

Good luck. The compressor on our old refrigerator died and we opted not to fix it. We’ve been without a unit for two weeks and every new model we wanted is on back order until Sept/Oct.

My advice would be to do the repair IF you otherwise like the one you have AND the cost of the repair is less than 50% of a new one.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:32 am

Not sure that something only seven years old would qualify, but we had a compressor repair maybe 12 years ago. The repair man strongly recommended a repair over a new purchase but not due to the cost difference. He said there are many fridges that are 20 years old or more chugging along and that the overall quality was just much better in the past in terms of parts, not just the compressor. By the way, it is still chugging along as a second fridge.

Tim

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:46 am

vineviz wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:30 am
mbres60 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:24 am
jsapiandante wrote:
mbres60 wrote:
jsapiandante wrote:

Good luck. The compressor on our old refrigerator died and we opted not to fix it. We’ve been without a unit for two weeks and every new model we wanted is on back order until Sept/Oct.

My advice would be to do the repair IF you otherwise like the one you have AND the cost of the repair is less than 50% of a new one.
:shock: :shock: :shock: OMG! Two weeks without a fridge! Are you waiting til Sept/Oct? Looks like we will definitely repair!

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:49 am

Nowizard wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:32 am
Not sure that something only seven years old would qualify, but we had a compressor repair maybe 12 years ago. The repair man strongly recommended a repair over a new purchase but not due to the cost difference. He said there are many fridges that are 20 years old or more chugging along and that the overall quality was just much better in the past in terms of parts, not just the compressor. By the way, it is still chugging along as a second fridge.

Tim
Our last fridge was close to 20 years old when we bought this new one during a kitchen remodel. Gave the old one to our dd and that is where our frozen food is currently. When we bought our current one in 2013 I read that they don't make them like they used to! Last one NEVER had a service call. Current one is Kenmore and it is made by LG. LG has problems because they use a badly designed compressor :( Found this out by googling.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:00 am

mbres60 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:46 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: OMG! Two weeks without a fridge! Are you waiting til Sept/Oct? Looks like we will definitely repair!
Between the steel tariffs and COVID, inventories are definitely unusually low.

We're settling on a unit we like but don't love (slightly undesirable dimensions, no water/ice dispenser, etc.) that we found in stock and should arrive Friday. Our house is 100+ years old so the layout isn't quite standard and you may very well have better choices than we had in terms of width/height/depth and door clearance.

The first unit we had delivered slipped into the space of the old one (after I removed the baseboard trim and raised the cabinet over it) but the door wouldn't open because of where the pivot point in the hinge was located.

Anyway, maybe make some calls to appliance dealers while you're waiting on the repair service so you know what your options actually are?
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:19 am

Gosh I just assumed most people had a backup/garage fridge? Definitely can be useful.

If you are $2000 fridge type of people, I would think you would want to repair it unless you were not confident in the repair lasting. I have two fridges and one is ~10 years and the other is ~20 and I have never had an issue with either so I would expect a modern fridge to last quite a while after repair.

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:14 am

Here's something you can check out while you wait for the repair person... pull off the outside grate on the front at the bottom, and vacuum the grate & inside space with a soft brush attachment being careful not to bang on the coils. A build-up of dust can impact a refrigerator's ability to cool.

A440

Post by A440 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:20 am

While you are waiting for service, check out www.repairclinic.com Put in your model number and click on the problem you are having. It will give possible solutions, video instructions how to fix it and the cost of the part(s) delivered. This site has saved me many times with all our appliances. To be fair, I bought the parts locally at a higher price, just because I could fix the problem the same day.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:36 am

megabad wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:19 am
Gosh I just assumed most people had a backup/garage fridge? Definitely can be useful.

If you are $2000 fridge type of people, I would think you would want to repair it unless you were not confident in the repair lasting. I have two fridges and one is ~10 years and the other is ~20 and I have never had an issue with either so I would expect a modern fridge to last quite a while after repair.
But then you are assuming that most people have a garage or other place to put a backup fridge. And a lot of people don’t.

Modern fridges like LG and Samsung are built cheaply to sell and the old reliable American brands like GE have had to lower quality to compete, price wise. And apparently it can be very hard to get repair service/parts for the LG/Samsung models.

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am

delamer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:36 am
But then you are assuming that most people have a garage or other place to put a backup fridge. And a lot of people don’t.
I guess even in my younger days I had the beer minifridge in our tiny apartment. Maybe it is just a beer drinker thing. I used to park that sucker right by the desk in the living room saving on those lengthy trips to the kitchen (maybe 10 ft away at the time). Now I have upgraded to the massive ugly white/beige/stained brown beast that sits in the garage and burns electricity like crazy.

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:24 pm

UPDATE - Repair guy came. He took off a panel in the back and looked around. Said a sealed unit with condenser and something else that refrigerant is in needs to be replaced. Said to buy a new refrigerator because cost to repair would be between $900-1200! Yikes. Our fridge is a Kenmore. It is made by LG. He said to call LG as he has heard that they have replaced some peoples parts and even paid for the lost food. A neighbor had a Kenmore by LG and they helped him. So I called LG. Nope. The model number is not theirs so call Kenmore. They gave me the number. I called and they said that because it wasn't under warranty I would have to pay for repair. Asked for manager. I explained situation. This is a known defect, class action lawsuits, etc ( I found this out by googling). Nope, I would have to pay for a tech to come to my house as my machine is no longer under warranty. Too stressful.

We went this afternoon to Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy. Most of the machines at Home Depot had post its saying back order til ___. We don't want one with water dispenser. Not many of those, actually practically none. Best Buy can get us one probably middle of August. In early part of pandemic they were not allowed to go into people's homes so left machines outside for homeowner!! Now they can go inside but if things get worse it could revert back to that. He said all companies were doing that at the beginning.

We will have to buy a small refrigerator at Costco for $100 to tide us over til we get the one we will probably order tomorrow. It is so exhausting and stressful! If only our repair was as inexpensive as someone previously in this thread said (about $500).

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Sorry that is happening to you. Check out Costco for a new frig they have great prices and may be able to deliver more quickly. We bought new frig, washing machine, and gas cooktop online from Costco web site late last year and their delivery service into our home was excellent.

L1tt1eMinon

Post by L1tt1eMinon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:57 pm

I had an LG 5 years old and crapped out. Fridge not keeping cool. Turn out to be bad compressor. LG extended parts and warranty from 2 to 5 year because of the lawsuit.

I was luckily enough to be covered by the warranty and had their authorized repair shop come and fix.

My suggestion would be keep calling and depending on which customer service rep or manager you get diff result. Another approach is to email higher up the corporate ladder. Squeaky wheel gets greased.

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:00 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:34 pm
Sorry that is happening to you. Check out Costco for a new frig they have great prices and may be able to deliver more quickly. We bought new frig, washing machine, and gas cooktop online from Costco web site late last year and their delivery service into our home was excellent.
Yes, they are great. We bought a dryer from them a few years ago. Didn't like what we got because of an issue that repair person couldn't fix (clothes got caught on something). We were able to return it (it was within the 90 days they allow) and buy something else. Unfortunately they don't have a refrigerator that fits our needs (we don't want outside dispenser) in the size we want.

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:02 pm

L1tt1eMinon wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:57 pm
I had an LG 5 years old and crapped out. Fridge not keeping cool. Turn out to be bad compressor. LG extended parts and warranty from 2 to 5 year because of the lawsuit.

I was luckily enough to be covered by the warranty and had their authorized repair shop come and fix.

My suggestion would be keep calling and depending on which customer service rep or manager you get diff result. Another approach is to email higher up the corporate ladder. Squeaky wheel gets greased.
We called 2x. Because we have a Kenmore from Sears they won't talk to us. Doesn't matter that LG made it.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:11 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:24 pm
UPDATE - Repair guy came. He took off a panel in the back and looked around. Said a sealed unit with condenser and something else that refrigerant is in needs to be replaced. Said to buy a new refrigerator because cost to repair would be between $900-1200! Yikes. Our fridge is a Kenmore. It is made by LG. He said to call LG as he has heard that they have replaced some peoples parts and even paid for the lost food. A neighbor had a Kenmore by LG and they helped him. So I called LG. Nope. The model number is not theirs so call Kenmore. They gave me the number. I called and they said that because it wasn't under warranty I would have to pay for repair. Asked for manager. I explained situation. This is a known defect, class action lawsuits, etc ( I found this out by googling). Nope, I would have to pay for a tech to come to my house as my machine is no longer under warranty. Too stressful.

We went this afternoon to Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy. Most of the machines at Home Depot had post its saying back order til ___. We don't want one with water dispenser. Not many of those, actually practically none. Best Buy can get us one probably middle of August. In early part of pandemic they were not allowed to go into people's homes so left machines outside for homeowner!! Now they can go inside but if things get worse it could revert back to that. He said all companies were doing that at the beginning.

We will have to buy a small refrigerator at Costco for $100 to tide us over til we get the one we will probably order tomorrow. It is so exhausting and stressful! If only our repair was as inexpensive as someone previously in this thread said (about $500).
Have you tried an independent appliance dealer, rather than a big box store?

We got a washer & dryer from an independent mid-pandemic, including installation.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:47 pm

vineviz wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:30 am
I've heard that this is very common right now due to the supply chain problems stemming from COVID-19. We're slowly replacing all of our kitchen appliances and have gotten good deals on everything so far, but the refrigerator is the last thing we need, and I imagine that we'll have to pay close to sticker to get one this year at least.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

sport

Post by sport » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Have you tried an independent appliance dealer, rather than a big box store?

We got a washer & dryer from an independent mid-pandemic, including installation.
That is what we did. We ordered a Whirlpool refrigerator a month ago on a Friday afternoon. It was delivered and installed the following Wednesday at a price $110 less than HD or Lowes.

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:26 pm

I did call an independent store. They cost more for the model I wanted and delivery at best would be in 3-4 weeks. We went to Home Depot today and asked if they price matched because Best Buy and Lowes cost less. Yes, they price matched so we bought there because delivery from them would be sooner. Our deliver date is next Thursday, July 20. Can't wait! Tonight for dinner is getting some of our Lean Cuisine out of our dd freezer to have for dinner ;)

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm

We just ordered a new refrigerator, and the staff told us that they really don't know how long it will take to get it. Their system is saying about two weeks, but they said that it could be two months.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm
We just ordered a new refrigerator, and the staff told us that they really don't know how long it will take to get it. Their system is saying about two weeks, but they said that it could be two months.
Bummer. Is your refrigerator not working? If not, do you have a small one to use? We considered buying a small one but decided not to because we can make do til Thursday. Today we had lunch out at a restaurant that set up some outdoor seating in their side parking lot. Only one other table in use. Unfortunately is quite hot here today so we "baked".

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:34 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm
Bummer. Is your refrigerator not working? If not, do you have a small one to use? We considered buying a small one but decided not to because we can make do til Thursday. Today we had lunch out at a restaurant that set up some outdoor seating in their side parking lot. Only one other table in use. Unfortunately is quite hot here today so we "baked".
Thankfully, our old refrigerator is still working. We're updating all of our appliances, mainly due to my DW's style preferences.

DB2

Post by DB2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:04 pm

Hope it's okay if I add a question in this thread...

My 16-year-old (french style) Whirpool refrigerator had the top fan replaced in early June. (This fan works for the freezer and fridge section).

Unit seems to work fine, but I felt the fridge section should be a little colder. I bought two non-digital thermoters; one for fridge and the other for freezer.

Fridge was consistently in the low 40s. I turned the temp cooler yesterday and is now in the low to mid 30s which is good. Seems fairly consistent.

However, the freezer fluctuates WIDELY. It will go 10 to 20 below zero. But in what I assume is the defrost mode, when fan stops, temp goes up into the 40s! Now, it doesn't stay there super long; most of the time the freezer seems to be well below zero.

I only keep frozen fruit and frozen vegs in there.

Is there any concern here? I don't want to get sick.

I also know thermometer placement can make a big difference. I had it closer to wall in the freezer, so now I place it near a bag of frozen vegs. Keeping an eye on it every 2-3 hours.

Any thoughts?

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:27 pm

DB2 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:04 pm

However, the freezer fluctuates WIDELY. It will go 10 to 20 below zero. But in what I assume is the defrost mode, when fan stops, temp goes up into the 40s! Now, it doesn't stay there super long; most of the time the freezer seems to be well below zero.

How full is the freezer? If it's not very full you may not have enough thermal mass to keep the temperatures steady.

Ultimately, what matters for food safety is the food temperature more the air temperature (especially for sealed products, which is probably everything in a typical freezer). If the temperature spikes above, say +10 degrees, are of short duration so that the food itself never thaws you likely have nothing to worry about.

On trick some people use is to freeze a pint container (like from a deli) of water, place a coin on top of the ice, and keep that in the freezer. If you ever see the coin sink into the ice, that means the water melted at some point.

Compound

Post by Compound » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:45 pm

mbres60 wrote:

Have you considered joining the class action lawsuit?

Our LG went down early in the pandemic. It’s only a couple of years old. We’ve been too phobic to ask a repair person over, but I strongly suspect it’s the linear compressor gone bad. Fortunately we’ve got a second fridge, so we’ve been eating out of that. Not sure how things will turn out with LG, but from the sound of this thread and what I’ve read online, I don’t like where this is headed.

DB2

Post by DB2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:58 pm

vineviz wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:27 pm
DB2 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:04 pm

How full is the freezer? If it's not very full you may not have enough thermal mass to keep the temperatures steady.

Ultimately, what matters for food safety is the food temperature more the air temperature (especially for sealed products, which is probably everything in a typical freezer). If the temperature spikes above, say +10 degrees, are of short duration so that the food itself never thaws you likely have nothing to worry about.

On trick some people use is to freeze a pint container (like from a deli) of water, place a coin on top of the ice, and keep that in the freezer. If you ever see the coin sink into the ice, that means the water melted at some point.
The freezer is not full at all. Just a few frozen veg/fruit bags. The food did feel a little softer, but not like really soft. I moved the thermometer to the food spot so we'll see.

I've read that is might be good just to fill it will some water gallon containers (like plastic distilled or whatever) or something to take up space?

Good idea on the coin thing.

Does it make sense to keep the few frozen bags close to get together?

retire14

DIY Repair

Post by retire14 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Google YouTube. I have several issues with my Samsung and Kitchen Aid. Turned out that the thermistors were bad. I replaced them with parts ordered online. Not that hard if you are a little handy.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 pm

DB2 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:58 pm

The freezer is not full at all. Just a few frozen veg/fruit bags.

I've read that is might be good just to fill it will some water gallon containers (like plastic distilled or whatever) or something to take up space?
I think it’s a good idea. Might be smart to partially fill them before freezing the containers (and leave the lids off) to allow the water to expand without splitting the container). When the first part is frozen add more water and freeze the rest.

DB2 wrote:

I don’t think that will help or hurt.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:37 pm

I would consider purchasing a used refrigerator (see local classified ads, local estate sales, rent-to-own stores) to use until the refrigerator you want is available. You can recover some/ all of the used appliance price by selling it when your new appliance is delivered. The rent-to-own stores in our area deliver and install at no charge.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:37 am

Check out www.abt.com for items that are in stock now. I just looked at top freezer models and they have 20 choices in stock. French door models-74 in stock. Note that some cannot ship outside a 150-mile radius of their store in the Chicago burbs. Their pricing is great (call for a better price than the website), shipping is free, and they don't charge sales tax in most states.

DB2

Post by DB2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm

vineviz wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 pm
DB2 wrote:

The freezer is not full at all. Just a few frozen veg/fruit bags.

I think it’s a good idea. Might be smart to partially fill them before freezing the containers (and leave the lids off) to allow the water to expand without splitting the container). When the first part is frozen add more water and freeze the rest.

DB2 wrote:

I don’t think that will help or hurt.
Okay, so an update and yours thoughts please.

I bought a digital thermometer now paired with the mercury thermometer (both read about the same). But this digital thermometer captures the min and max temps. I have this in the freezer and fridge section (this is a side door fridge).

I added more items; my fridge temperature has been perfectly ranging from 32-39 F. No problems here.

However, the freezer section fluctuates widely! Anywhere from -10 to 30 F! When I look, most of the time it seems at zero or below. But still,I will see these higher temps.

I talked to the service tech and he said make sure the setting for the temp freezer is in the middle setting (which it is), but but dial down the coolness one notch on the fridge part. He said this unit has one thermostat with a linkage.

I don't see how it's a thermostat issue or condenser given how cold the unit gets and how stable the fridge is. He agreed and thinks it's just with settings. I am skeptical, but moved the refrigerator one a notch warmer as he advised.

Any thoughts on the freezer?

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:56 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:49 am
Nowizard wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:32 am

Tim
Our last fridge was close to 20 years old when we bought this new one during a kitchen remodel. Gave the old one to our dd and that is where our frozen food is currently. When we bought our current one in 2013 I read that they don't make them like they used to! Last one NEVER had a service call. Current one is Kenmore and it is made by LG. LG has problems because they use a badly designed compressor :( Found this out by googling.
My last fridge was a whirlpool and lasted 21 years! It's killing me, but I'm ditching a LG-made kenmore just 3 years new....because it's already had multiple problems and now the compressor is failing. I'd repair it IF I knew they'd replace it with a reliable compressor. But the design itself is flawed and they keep replacing failed ones with another faulty one that inevitably fails again. I also found this out after the fact by googling.

I read so many posts by owners furious at 2nd and 3rd time failures of their fridges after spending money to repair. That's the basis of the national class action lawsuit - that LG knows the design is flawed, yet continues to put it in new units and in repaired ones.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:02 pm

DB2 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm

I bought a digital thermometer now paired with the mercury thermometer (both read about the same). But this digital thermometer captures the min and max temps. I have this in the freezer and fridge section (this is a side door fridge).

I added more items; my fridge temperature has been perfectly ranging from 32-39 F. No problems here.

However, the freezer section fluctuates widely! Anywhere from -10 to 30 F! When I look, most of the time it seems at zero or below. But still,I will see these higher temps.

I talked to the service tech and he said make sure the setting for the temp freezer is in the middle setting (which it is), but but dial down the coolness one notch on the fridge part. He said this unit has one thermostat with a linkage.

I don't see how it's a thermostat issue or condenser given how cold the unit gets and how stable the fridge is. He agreed and thinks it's just with settings. I am skeptical, but moved the refrigerator one a notch warmer as he advised.

Hmm. I have no solid ideas, but I’m not sure how much more s worry about the temperature swings. The thermometer is obviously measuring air temperature, which naturally will go up dramatically when the door is opened. But it should also go down quickly, so unless you have melting food or ice formation, so a spike up to 30 degrees isn’t necessarily alarming if it’s only for a few minutes.

What happens if you reset the history on the digital thermometer and put it inside a sealed coffee can or Tupperware container and put that in the freezer? That should buffer the air movement a bit, giving you a better long-term average range?

DB2

Post by DB2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:36 pm

vineviz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:02 pm
DB2 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Hmm. I have no solid ideas, but I’m not sure how much more s worry about the temperature swings. The thermometer is obviously measuring air temperature, which naturally will go up dramatically when the door is opened. But it should also go down quickly, so unless you have melting food or ice formation, so a spike up to 30 degrees isn’t necessarily alarming if it’s only for a few minutes.

What happens if you reset the history on the digital thermometer and put it inside a sealed coffee can or Tupperware container and put that in the freezer? That should buffer the air movement a bit, giving you a better long-term average range?
Good idea!

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:06 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:36 am
megabad wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:19 am

Modern fridges like LG and Samsung are built cheaply to sell and the old reliable American brands like GE have had to lower quality to compete, price wise. And apparently it can be very hard to get repair service/parts for the LG/Samsung models.
Megabad: it's actually the complete opposite of your statement: the newer the fridge, the worse the quality and less likely it's going to last. I went from getting 20+ years of great performance on a old '90s era whirlpool to 3 years on a piece of crap 2015-built LG
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

DB2

Post by DB2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:11 pm

My repair tech told me the new ones will only go 10 yrs at most before the condenser goes. My friend's repair tech he had out said only 6 yrs.

My condenser seems strong after 16 yrs.
Last edited by DB2 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 pm

mbres60 wrote:

Honestly, I think you're better off cutting your losses - what if you spent that $500 and it failed again in 6 months or a year? I've read a TON of LG posts by owners that had this happen to them. Even if it was covered, you'd have the hassle of lost food, another wait for a service person to come out and diagnose, a wait for parts, etc. That's why I gave up and bought new.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 pm

We went to an independent appliance dealer after the big box folks said September for a new refrigerator. The independent delivered a refrigerator we love the next day.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:12 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:32 pm
Our refrigerator is 7 years old. Yesterday we discovered it was not keeping things cold . We took our freezer stuff to someone else's house. This morning we realized the refrigerator section was also not cold so threw out stuff. Repair guy is coming tomorrow. I have no clue how much the repair will cost til he diagnoses it. Then, if he has to order a part, how long will that take. What has been your experience when something like this happened? I think a new one will cost over $1800 according to Home Depot (then add sales tax, delivery, and haul away old one). Thanks.
This is about the average life of a product designed nowadays, especially if it's from a mainstream brand. Hard to give you advice without knowing the specific make and model, but in general, I'd probably buy a new one and make sure it was something known to last a long time.