Retirees: How you spend your time?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Retirees: How you spend your time?

Post by AerialWombat »

Question for those that have already retired: How do you currently spend your time? More specifically, how does it compare to how you thought you would spend your time in retirement?

Also, any tips on making the actual transition?

I'm self-employed. I semi-retired six months ago, and am having a difficult time transitioning. Resisting the urge to create new work to do in order to generate revenue that I don't need is hard (my semi-retirement plan is/was to just maintain the status quo, and let my income "drift down" as customers organically cancel services). There are obviously things that I'd much rather go do, but breaking years of "internal programming" is a challenge.
Conch55

Re: Retirees: How you spend your time?

Post by Conch55 »

I spend more time on the bogleheads forum for sure. I'm five plus years in and can honestly say I am not missing my work life at all. I go for long walks, tend to my garden and yard, workout regularly, visit the local library and putter around in my garage. As you can see, I don't/didn't have extravagant needs. I think you'll find it depends on the individual.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 pm Question for those that have already retired: How do you currently spend your time? More specifically, how does it compare to how you thought you would spend your time in retirement?

I'm self-employed. I semi-retired six months ago, and am having a difficult time transitioning. Resisting the urge to create new work to do in order to generate revenue that I don't need is hard (my semi-retirement plan is/was to just maintain the status quo, and let my income "drift down" as customers organically cancel services). There are obviously things that I'd much rather go do, but breaking years of "internal programming" is a challenge.
The first 6 months was the hardest to transition. It starts to get easier after that (or did for me). Initially I spent it traveling. Nowadays with covid, I spend it hiking, reading, playing/learning guitar and Italian, meditating, cooking/meal prep and working out. Add in some time with friends and there you go. No stress at all.

The key is to live an authentic life. Look within yourself. There is a life your soul wants to lead, is sort of meant to lead. Things that give you pure joy (don't let others judge whatever that is). It is what it is. Do that. My primaries are hiking in nature and travel. The health/working out thing I added because I want to stay as healthy as long as possible so I can do more hiking and travel. The rest are things that may help me with both (learning a language eases/enhances travel to the areas I go), and guitar playing keeps me challenged and fingers nimble and sharp. Plus it's fun. The meditation ensures I'm being authentic (remaining so). Checking in with my soul to ensure the things that gave me joy are still the things that do.

Point is- look within first. Find the 1 or 2 things that bring you joy and build from there. Most people who work like us are unaware of what those things are. But they are there. Be silent. And your soul will tell you what they are. Then build a life around them and dismiss others judgments about whatever you find
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

At a high level we wanted to travel as a key part of retirement (Jan2018). Went to an RV show on a lark and ended up purchasing a Class B. Shifted plans a bit to do 1-2 trips Internationally and lots more 5-10 day road trips in the US and Canada. Had to shift again due to Covid — now taking much shorter trips and mostly in-state.

Another shift in plans is we rented kayaks on a lark and ended up really enjoying the experience. It combines some exercise, being outdoors and my love of wildlife photography. Ended up buying a couple of inflatable kayaks so we could easily carry them in the RV.

Lastly, we had to suspend some of our plans last year and help my MIL recover from a broken hip. Amazing woman, she was 87 and is fully recovered!

Volunteering was also a big part of our plans — this has been on hold due to Covid but I volunteer as a teacher at a local Adult Ed, helper at our Food Bank, Crisis Shelter, and the VITA low income Tax Service.

Definitely spending more time on the Bogleheads, FB (there are some great FI groups). Also investing more time in culling old photos, organizing and keywording the remaining. Been having a ball doing Photo Collages of my family, our trips and adventures. Also publishing a yearly Photo Book to help capture and save the memories.

So, big picture wise, we had lots of plans for Retirement but pivoted along the way to what seemed fun and interesting. Given the current work environment, I am so glad to be Retired and financially stable.

WoodSpinner
Last edited by WoodSpinner on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
shess

Post by shess »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 pm I'm self-employed. I semi-retired six months ago, and am having a difficult time transitioning. Resisting the urge to create new work to do in order to generate revenue that I don't need is hard (my semi-retirement plan is/was to just maintain the status quo, and let my income "drift down" as customers organically cancel services). There are obviously things that I'd much rather go do, but breaking years of "internal programming" is a challenge.
I was a software engineer and retired early. The first couple months were really weird, I was busy busy busy busy, clearly in denial, it was like when Wile E Coyote is off the edge of the cliff spinning his wheels. Then, kind of suddenly, it caught up with me and I spent a couple months not doing much of anything - I worried about depression, but I don't think it was. I just would get up and be like "Yeah? I guess I could, but whatever, there's always tomorrow". I don't think it was depression because things which needed to get done like cooking supper or organizing a campout were fine and easy, no problem. It was more like the opposite of filling time with busywork, I didn't have to do things, so I didn't do things. I did play Horizon Zero Dawn, something I'd never allowed myself before because of the time commitment. That phase passed after a few months, too.

So, anyhow, my advice would be to not worry TOO much for the first 3-6 months, because you're probably still adjusting.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Well, making such a transition in the middle of a pandemic is not the best time to talk about how things might be in a more typical year.

Virtually everything that I had planned is down the toilet because things are cancelled or not safe, since we are the only point of contact for a 90+ year-old relative.

We enjoy travel but I had to cancel three trips: We were going to take grandkids to Washington DC during their spring break to help out the parents,but everything was shut down. We had a reservation made a year in advance to stay in a cabin at a wonderful state park; that was cancelled and no openings for next year.

A couple of our grandkids live in Europe, so they can't be visited. We were planning on spending a month next year, doing a cruise, traveling around.

I love my gym, was going 5 days a week, but can't consider going back until our county gets in better shape with new cases.

I was a volunteer usher at our university performing arts venue, and that is closed. We were thinking of going to Alaska for some months to work part time at a business associated with the cruise industry, which is not happening this year. There was a possible project with a former employer that was cancelled.

I am grateful that we retired earlier than we had planned to spend a few years in Asia as missionaries for our church, so at least we got to do that. If we had waited until the date we had always planned, we would have been sent home early.

Sorry to be such a downer. If you had asked a year earlier, I would have had a much more positive list.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Naismith wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:42 pm Well, making such a transition in the middle of a pandemic is not the best time to talk about how things might be in a more typical year.

Virtually everything that I had planned is down the toilet because things are cancelled or not safe, since we are the only point of contact for a 90+ year-old relative.

We enjoy travel but I had to cancel three trips: We were going to take grandkids to Washington DC during their spring break to help out the parents,but everything was shut down. We had a reservation made a year in advance to stay in a cabin at a wonderful state park; that was cancelled and no openings for next year.

A couple of our grandkids live in Europe, so they can't be visited. We were planning on spending a month next year, doing a cruise, traveling around.

I love my gym, was going 5 days a week, but can't consider going back until our county gets in better shape with new cases.

I was a volunteer usher at our university performing arts venue, and that is closed. We were thinking of going to Alaska for some months to work part time at a business associated with the cruise industry, which is not happening this year. There was a possible project with a former employer that was cancelled.

I am grateful that we retired earlier than we had planned to spend a few years in Asia as missionaries for our church, so at least we got to do that. If we had waited until the date we had always planned, we would have been sent home early.

Sorry to be such a downer. If you had asked a year earlier, I would have had a much more positive list.

My answer would be nearly identical to yours.

I have cancelled at least three trips this year with two more that have NOT been canceled but will be sooned.

The museum that I volunteered at remain closed. The lecture series that I help run has been shut down. While I could volunteer at some of the local charities, MOST of them are not currently operating. The ones that are like the food banks would not be safe for me to work as many of the clients REFUSE to wear masks.

Right now, all I am trying to do is to stay healthy and to stay home. I have been catching up on watching movies. I have been learning how to play poker online.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 pm Question for those that have already retired: How do you currently spend your time? More specifically, how does it compare to how you thought you would spend your time in retirement?

I’ve been retired almost two years. I made a totally clean break from a job and a profession that I loved for 40 years, and I’m glad that I did it that way rather than transitioning down from full time to part time.

I can now get to the gym every day, and not worry about when I arrive and leave. I can accompany DW to her many doctor appointments (or at least I could before virus). I can volunteer much more, especially at my church. I can spend much more time with grandkids, all of whom are local. I can spend all the time I want on Bogleheads, which is an incredibly fascinating forum. I can put together 1000 piece puzzles, which is a particular passion of mine. I can take the dog around the block for rest breaks three times a day, good exercise for both him and me.

Life is good. And every day is a GREAT day to be alive.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
shell921

Post by shell921 »

I had to cancel a trip..............
My volunteer jobs shut down....
I was teaching drawing-- as a side hustle---that shut down...
I still walk my dog 2-3 times a day....
I still swim in my swimspa....
I still read a lot and do lots of writing/some drawing....
I still talk to friends...
I do more baking, cooking.....
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I always worked hard, and as smart as I could for MegaCorp. I was very well compensated, with excellent benefits.

But honestly, though I did enjoy my work, my best day of work (exclusive of when we received our comission reports) was never as good as waking up and knowing I could do anything I wanted to do, and was able to do.

I had a great rapport with my one and only customer, a supportive manager who left me alone to do my job, but was always there in the rare instances I needed him.

Today I spend way too much time here, and it seems to be similar to what many others do.

Later when it is cooler I normally go outside and read. I watch a couple of hours of TV, then I'm asleep.

We have one or more grandchildren over at any given time, and that is one of my main joys. Right now our house is full, a DD, four grandchildren, a cousin of two of the grandchildren, and a goldendoodle.

I am grateful to wake up on the green side of the grass. Life is precious, and I never take it for granted.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
lws

Post by lws »

Cooking
Reading
Walking
Cycling
Visiting the gym
Doing math
Volunteering
Learning new a computer program
Gardening
Visiting museums, parks, libraries
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

shell921 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:01 pm I had to cancel a trip..............
My volunteer jobs shut down....
I was teaching drawing-- as a side hustle---that shut down...
I still walk my dog 2-3 times a day....
I still swim in my swimspa....
I still read a lot and do lots of writing/some drawing....
I still talk to friends...
I do more baking, cooking.....
This is me. Before COVID, I was traveling 4 months a year, working out at the gym 3x per week, teaching and doing martial arts, volunteering, and hanging out with my friends most days. I loved it.

Since COVID, pretty much none of that. I’m considering going back to work.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
staustin

Post by staustin »

sperry8 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:15 pm

The first 6 months was the hardest to transition. It starts to get easier after that (or did for me). Initially I spent it traveling. Nowadays with covid, I spend it hiking, reading, playing/learning guitar and Italian, meditating, cooking/meal prep and working out. Add in some time with friends and there you go. No stress at all.

The key is to live an authentic life. Look within yourself. There is a life your soul wants to lead, is sort of meant to lead. Things that give you pure joy (don't let others judge whatever that is). It is what it is. Do that. My primaries are hiking in nature and travel. The health/working out thing I added because I want to stay as healthy as long as possible so I can do more hiking and travel. The rest are things that may help me with both (learning a language eases/enhances travel to the areas I go), and guitar playing keeps me challenged and fingers nimble and sharp. Plus it's fun. The meditation ensures I'm being authentic (remaining so). Checking in with my soul to ensure the things that gave me joy are still the things that do.

Point is- look within first. Find the 1 or 2 things that bring you joy and build from there. Most people who work like us are unaware of what those things are. But they are there. Be silent. And your soul will tell you what they are. Then build a life around them and dismiss others judgments about whatever you find
Amazing post... :beer
highercall

Post by highercall »

Ebiking, tennis, pickleball, biblestudy, home improvements, computer research, investing, reading, helping kids and spending time with grandchildren, church involvement. Rarely find time to be bored.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Babysitting grandson, doing "chores" for my elderly inlaws, riding my Harley, walking several miles per day. I was walking my dog several miles every day, but he passed away in January and I sure miss him. Had planned several short trips (like 3 or 4 days) but the virus threat shut that down.
Kruser64

Post by Kruser64 »

Exercise, Excel, Perl, and xbox game pass for PC. :D
celia

Post by celia »

More volunteering.
More travel.
More time helping family members as they decline.
More time for our own medical needs (more doctors to see plus we go to each other’s appointments with spouse)

No time left for paid work.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

lws wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:19 pm Cooking
Reading
Walking
Cycling
Visiting the gym
Doing math
Volunteering
Learning new a computer program
Gardening
Visiting museums, parks, libraries
What kinds of math?
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I'm fortunate to have a wife who values independence as much as I do, so there is never any pressure to share interests, although we do share some, nor to conform to the other person's schedule.

By average time in a week in descending order:

Reading/writing on the computer
Doing puzzles of all types
Television
Home/yard maintenance/improvement
Lake activities/fishing/boating feeding the animals birds/deer/lake fish/turtles
Reading books
Swimming
Walking
Golf
Gardening
Cooking
Birdwatching

Things I anticipated spending more time on but haven't yet:

Video games, we have PS2, 3, and 4 with numerous games
Finishing a novel, writing new short stories/articles
Entertaining family and friends (Coronavirus)

I have found that there is never enough time in the day, neither before nor after retirement, and don't recall ever being bored, nor has my wife.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

For the first ten years after retirement, I spent about 15 hours a week volunteering with dog rescue groups.
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

I retired last summer and took the family on weeks/months long vacations. I was so busy with having fun on vacation I didn't think about work at all. Going cold turkey helped tremendously because when I'm home, even today more than a year later, I still think about going back to work part time. I have been able to resist offers to re-enter the fray by telling myself that I do not need the income. I get what you're saying because it's a challenge. Working for so long, this retirement thing does feel somewhat alien. Like I'm no longer productive, not creating, not contributing, not planning for my future. Realizing that that future is already here has a calming effect.

Fortunately, I have plenty to do: exercise, gardening/landscaping, small projects around the house, quality time with my family: spouse/children/parents, music - guitar and piano, cooking more home meals, read. The days go fast if I keep busy. I also spend a good amount of time researching and designing our forever home. That does help me with the "learn new things" department.

Good luck on your journey.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I have been retired for over a decade and find it quite appealing. I have spent quite a bit of time writing a rather extensive personal history that goes beyond a resume type listing of activities that is accompanied by some underlying thoughts at the time and have kept a list of events happening with friends while growing up in the 50's. Some are funny, some are serious, and all reflect what a different time it was. I have written up about 100 vignettes of different lengths covering over 60 typed pages. For example, one focuses on our small town where it was very common for adolescents to drive to school in a family truck with a gun rack and shotgun sitting in the parking lot so they could quickly leave for an after school hunting trip. Having a "Tom Sawyer" childhood resulted in many experiences.
As for retirement, I consider doing nothing as doing something. It may appear that nothing is going on at a particular moment, but having worked hard and having parents who felt time wasted was time lost, there was little unfilled time as a child and always an underlying feeling of trying to "get finished." Now, I feel I finished that race and am about as protective of not over scheduling as being tightly scheduled previously. The single, most helpful retirement plan was to gradually retire. None of this going from 100 mph to zero with a big retirement event. Moving from five, to four to three to two to one half day over several years meant that deciding how to fill the additional time came in waves rather than at one time. It worked so well that it has been followed by a younger spouse and friends. It may not be possible for some, particularly those who are working extremely hard to accomplish FIRE goals, but my family has always strived for work to be an important part of life in terms of finances but mainly as only one of numerous factors for a fulfilled life.

Tim
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Walk in the woods
Exercise at home
Monitor COVID-19 news
Watch webcasts of think-tank events and online conferences
Take online courses
Read
Write

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Sudden retirement March 2018 when laid off at 64, but had been threatening to retire for 2 years (insurance was the issue). We immediately took a trip to Russia. Sat around for 6 months, decompressing, looking for work. Had to scramble and become an expert on getting Medicare for DH. Have since helped several friends on that. I was on my computer all the time at work, and have still not been able to be off of it any length of time. A friend who retired same time hates to be on hers and avoids it at all costs.
Dove into our financial planning in 2019, we met with 4 financial advisors/fiduciaries, attended 3 dinner workshops, and with Boggle Head help, now fully manage our portfolios, something I thought I could not do.
Have also researched and changed our cell phone and electric companies to save several hundred $ a month. We dropped "cable" 4 yrs ago, and I am not big on TV anyway, so don't spend time watching it. I took the Ancestry DNA test, and have been researching our Family on Familysearch.org. Have discovered some things!! All elderly relatives are gone, but have made contact with some distance "cousins" also doing research. Its a fun way to spend hours and fill in blanks of memories of family stories. We started a Keto/Low carb lifestyle Jan 2019 and have both lost over 20 lbs and kept it off, trying new recipes.
DH built a "shop" out back and works on his cars, I help w yard work sometimes (we have 1 ac), we are doing/having it done some remodeling on the 1996 built house we had just bought before my layoff. I still have not found my happy place. Was helping with grandkids a few days/nights, but now they work from home -not allowed over but once a month. Church has not reopened, library not open, we just go to grocery store and Lowes and a few smaller shops. Just purchased a 25' travel trailer, made one short test trip to a state park, but its 100 degrees now so can't really take our elderly dogs. Slowing getting together with couples and having lunch out a few times a week.
I suggest you keep working thru this year, look into some possible hobbies, then decide. I don't see your age, but if you are under 60, work a few more years.
Last edited by Lalamimi on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I guess that a 45 year old retiree and a 75 year old retire will have vastly different activities.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I highly recommend this video "Getting What You Want and What to do When you Get there" because the message hits the core of this type of retirement transition you bring up. Rick Eigenbrod has been a business/leadership coach and speaker for decades. He is addressing a Vistage Group here.

https://vimeo.com/101418676

I was running my own company for about 20 years when the niche we serviced literally died. I was 53 and could "retire", but I felt I was too young, had too much energy, wanted to keep moving and learn something new so I embarked on a second career. The second career consisted of being an independent acquisitions consultant servicing small boutique commercial Real Estate PE firms and as a sideline business and personal coaching. I worked my own hours and had a good amount of freedom which helped make the transition to full retirement. By the time I hit 61, I was ready to fully retire.

Pre COVID, Going to out breakfast, lunch, dinner, movies and traveling with DW and other retired friends. I walk brisk for 3 miles and do a Tai Chi workout everyday. Some babysitting and watching ballgames for our best friends with young kids, lots of reading, love fiction. When asked, I "coach/mentor" younger adults in career and personal matters for no charge (One way of giving back. I still get some referrals). Got into baking bread, other goodies and cooking once Covid hit. I approach this routine in an unstructured improvisational way, kind of go with the flow approach. That way I don't feel bound to do X at a particular time or day.

Good Luck. The video will help bring about some clarity on the transition and "what next".

Dave
Last edited by Dave55 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Statch

Post by Statch »

I retired six years ago and had a lot of trouble with the first year. Felt I had lost my sense of purpose. The volunteering I tried didn't replace it. I ended up researching my family history, just for something to do. That led to a "passion project" documenting the names of African Americans in old records of a county my slaveowning ancestors came from. I taught myself to create websites by watching YouTube videos, created a website for my project, and started to be in touch with descendants. That all led to a position on the board of a small local museum, building and operating their website, becoming president of my local genealogical society (and doing their website), doing some speaking, and many rewarding personal relationships. Turned out I needed that sense of purpose I had at work, and I need to be continually learning new things. Now I can't imagine going back to work, where I loved what I did but couldn't control my time like I can now, and now I can delve further into whatever I want, since it's all on a volunteer basis. Everyone is different, of course. I just kept trying things until I found something I became obsessed with :-), and went from there.

COVID-19 shut down the museum and the genealogical society, temporarily at least, but I've just put that energy into the website.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
gavinman

Post by gavinman »

I’m 4 months in to retirement and starting to get a little bored. I’ve been looking for a part time job but I’m looking for the perfect part time job that won’t interfere with my golf schedule! I had plans to volunteer and do a little traveling and it’s all been sidelined.
I workout everyday, play computer games online. The summer heat has been a downer too. Too darn hot out to do stuff outdoors.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:40 am I guess that a 45 year old retiree and a 75 year old retire will have vastly different activities.
I dunno about that. I’m late 50’s, wife is 73. We both spend about 20 hours a week doing pretty much the same health and fitness related activities. I’m fitter and stronger, but she’s just as active as I am.

We also travel all the same places and do the same volunteer work, when those things are happening.

We have our own interests and our own friends, but none of that is driven by age.

Ask me again in 10 years, of course. It might be different then.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:01 am Monitor COVID-19 news
I discovered yesterday that the technical term for that is “doomscrolling.”
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Retired 4 yrs.

Had massive reno done on family house I inherited - much more time & expensive than first estimated but worth it
Lots of time at home reading books & watching PBS
Lots of local bicycle trips & day trips for x-c skiing hiking
Usual college town activities
Do not miss work - a few family & friends in local area all I need for social contact

Some surprises:

I have never been a sports oriented person (my physical activites are those I can do alone) but I enjoy watching some sports especially on TV more than I ever would have thought - I prefer watching women's sports - not only is the play less aggressive the players are more like normal average people some of the male players look like they have been selectively bred for the sport

Don't enjoy driving as much - think twice about going far

Harder to get motivated for things I used to do all the time such as camping because:
Massive growth in numbers of people in western US & Canada; tech improvements in things like ATV means back roads ski trails etc often chewed up; hot scorching forest fires greatly altered backcountry and I am having difficulity with packweight.

Even without Covid harder than I thought to do things where there are lots of people (I like being alone or at least nearly so)

Now that house project largely over I have better feel for finances but Covid a limiting factor (I have 1M frequent flyer miles I wanted to start using etc) and National parks probably even more crowded than usual etc. etc.

For rest of summer & fall going to try easing more into the camping / hiking where I can social distance and see how air/train/urban travel can work into the mix next year.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

I built a 40,000 following on social media

I’m retired and in my 40s. I attempted retirement 3 times
AerialWombat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 pm Also, any tips on making the actual transition?

Before having a child I tried doing only leisure activities but eventually got bored

Today my child is elementary school aged so half my time is taken up by childcare

I do a bit of leisure, reading, and because of covid, got on social media for the first time

One day I decided to provide commentary on my experiences in investing and how I became financially free. All infotainment. No advice.

Random people started following me, asking questions and sending me DMs and I passed 40,000 followers after a few months. That surprised me a bit, so I occasionally add Live Q&A events
Last edited by flaccidsteele on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Right now I am splitting time being sourcing things from the internet, trying to run my portfolio like a family office and working on transforming my body in preparation for the trips I have planned for the next several years.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

We are in our mid-40s and the math says we could retire now if I wanted to, but honestly I would feel like a bit of a loser sitting around for most of the day. All of our friends (with the exception of a COVID layoff) work during the week, and our older kid likes to hang out with her friends more than us, so I'd probably be doing a lot of things alone during the week.

Plus our kids are still at home and in school (whatever that means these days), so travel is limited to summers (pending pandemic situation) or school holidays. My current thinking is that when the kids are out of the house in 6 years, I may pull the rip cord and we can travel extensively.

Anyone out there who is retired with kids still at home, and most of your friends still working? What do your weeks look like?
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I spend a lot more time playing pickleball, playing with my grandchildren, serving on the board of our HOA, sitting on the beach, and enjoying the company of my wife, family, and friends than I thought I would.

Life is good.

If you aren't yet enjoying your retirement - try doing something different! It takes time to find out what's really fun and what's really important.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Thinking back to the six months after I retired in 2013:

We took a trip to Traverse City immediately after I retired.

When I returned, I decided to start hunting for a place to retire to. That took six months.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Retirement pre vs. post-Covid-19 have been completely different experiences for me. So I assume the question is about retirement now, or within the last few months?
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

Like everyone, lots of things cancelled.
Love to travel and camp, so instead of Europe we are camping within our state
We ride bikes
I go on long walks with friends and myself.
Tap Dance. I have no dancing experience, but joined a group and now I love it! We are now doing Zoom Lessons. We used to do performances.
Bird watching. It's such a great hobby. Great people and you get outdoors. My regular groups are postponed, but I still go.
Reading
I DID love driving to see my grand nieces, but that is on hold.
Agreed. The first 6 months were hard, but I am trying to follow my soul too!
I have plans to craft, learn a language, paint more rocks, learn lyrics to my favorite band, and sew. And I can't wait for travel to open up again.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Even with Covid I continue to do things that I enjoy...play tennis, pickleball, go swimming, go to the beach, take long walks, go for drives, a bit of gardening, help DW with medical apps, face timing with my daughter/grandson? I really enjoy being out of doors.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

With most of my volunteer time having been cancelled except for Zoom meetings, I have been working on my 'To-Do" list for the house. Screens, cabinets, fences, sprinkler heads and more recently faucets. I found out that the inventory systems of the major online retailers are not very good. I go on-line and see that there are 23 items of the supply in which I am interested located in aisle 7 bin 13 and order it online expecting that I would be able to pick it up with curb-side pickup that afternoon or tomorrow. But no, the stock is depleted and I have to wait 10 days for it to be shipped. Either they don't update very often, there is an amazing amount of pilferage, or the scanners at the check-out counter are not working, or a combination of all of the above. WARNING: replacement window screen is the new toilet paper.
I am happy to add tasks to the 'To-Do" because the last item on the list is to lay new plastic in the crawl space. Oh huh, I have to update the list of paint colors in all the rooms in the house. That should take a week or so.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Sleep and work P/T.
All the Best, | Joe
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

sperry8 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:15 pm

+1 Great post!
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your insights!
LunaLauren

Post by LunaLauren »

help DW with medical apps,

What are medical apps? examples?
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I'm 52 and want to retire by 58-60. Making plans to wind my companies down and manage everything. The other day I was watching a documentary on Kabuki-cho, a seedy but interesting part of Tokyo (I'm an American living in Japan), which was an NHK staffer who had grown up in the neighborhood and was now making a documentary about her mother (who's run several mah-jongg parlors for 30+ years) and her father, who are both in their 80s.

Describing her father, the woman used the words, "For my father, every day is Sunday." This really reverberated with me for some reason, though I'm still young.

I want every day to be Sunday.
IMO

Post by IMO »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:01 pm We are in our mid-40s and the math says we could retire now if I wanted to, but honestly I would feel like a bit of a loser sitting around for most of the day. All of our friends (with the exception of a COVID layoff) work during the week, and our older kid likes to hang out with her friends more than us, so I'd probably be doing a lot of things alone during the week.

Plus our kids are still at home and in school (whatever that means these days), so travel is limited to summers (pending pandemic situation) or school holidays. My current thinking is that when the kids are out of the house in 6 years, I may pull the rip cord and we can travel extensively.

Anyone out there who is retired with kids still at home, and most of your friends still working? What do your weeks look like?
Funny thing, one can be the one retired feeling like the ones going to their jobs everyday all the "losers". :D I get it, some people love their jobs so much and make so much money with their work and it's a significant part of their self-identity. I'm really not knocking that thought, but that was no longer my world.

There is a differences when you've retired but your constrained by the schedule of one's kid(s) school schedule. I'm further constrained by the fact that my spouse who could also retire still desires to work part time. It all comes down to what one's hobbies/activities are in life, it's easy to stay busy if one wants even when one's friends are also still working. My week basically looks like someone's typical weekends except I don't have to dread going back to work on Monday. Some days are extremely busy and other days I can opt to not stress out about having some particular activity to partake. Ironically, I kind of hate weekends more now because that's when all the "common working folk" are out at places making things crowded. I really hate the 3 day holiday weekends.

Things will change in a couple years when the kid is gone. But personally, waiting for that time and not retiring would be a waste of the limited time on earth. But's it's all a balance really. When people retire in their 30's and early 40's I always think they should still be productive members of society and people who "retire" in their 20's are usually just trust funders. There are of course stay at homes that I think once the kids hit middle school, are also pretty much having the equivalent life of retiring early.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

IMO wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:00 pm
Ironically, I kind of hate weekends more now because that's when all the "common working folk" are out at places making things crowded. I really hate the 3 day holiday weekends.
I also hate the weekends and the holiday weekends because the stock market is closed. I do not trade stocks, but I want something to watch.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

It's hard to transition from self-employed worker-bee to retiree.
My advice is pick a date at which you will "pull the plug" - cancel the phone, fax and email.
Otherwise customers will track you down, even years later - especially if you've been in business a long time and have a good track record.

As much as possible when I get the urge:
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

DoIng as little as possible.